Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

I thought it would be nice if we had a general thread where Club Corp Travel members could go see what the best affiliate course is in the area they are traveling.

• Post what city the course is listed under in the benefits finder
  • Condition and layout ratings/comments
  • Pictures if you have any

Hopefully this will save some people from having to search around as much

I'll start with Wachesaw Plantation Club in Myrtle Beach, SC. Definitely a beautiful course with a great layout. Reminded me a lot of Caledonia. Conditions were great and there was much less foot traffic than the other top tier courses near by. I would highly recommend it if you're in the area and need to get away from the over crowded courses but don't want to sacrifice quality.

I am going to start off with a request for information. I am going to NYC in May and am going to catch a round of the PGA Championship. Have a day to squeeze in a round. Here is the list of clubs from benefit finder. From what I have read was thinking Fiddler's Elbow. If you have played any what is your recommendation?

The Hamlet Golf & Country Club

Willow Creek Golf & Country Club

Wind Watch Golf & Country Club

Engineers Country Club

Anglebrook Golf Club

Fiddler's Elbow Country Club

I have played both Wind Watch and Willow Creek. I would argue both courses are in better shape than any of the full private courses I have seen for Club Corp. The layouts are a lot of fun and definitely challenging, but both very different. Go on their site and you'll see why.

I am not sure of the others, but you cannot go wrong with them. If you do trek to Willow Creek further out on the island, do yourself the favor and drive a bit more and play Montauk State Downs. Its phenomenal and hidden gem for a very inexpensive rate. And, of course there is always Bethpage, another inexpensive but outstanding round.

I am going to start off with a request for information. I am going to NYC in May and am going to catch a round of the PGA Championship. Have a day to squeeze in a round. Here is the list of clubs from benefit finder. From what I have read was thinking Fiddler's Elbow. If you have played any what is your recommendation?

The Hamlet Golf & Country Club

Willow Creek Golf & Country Club

Wind Watch Golf & Country Club

Engineers Country Club

Anglebrook Golf Club

Fiddler's Elbow Country Club

If you play Fiddlers, make sure you book the Forest course.

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

I’m glad you started this thread PNB! While I loved Wachesaw the first time I played it as a single, they were not accommodating to the large group I took there two years in a row. They were almost harassing us from the time we got out our cars to the first tee. The sad part is that my group plays fast, but they treated us like we would tear up the course until they realized they didn’t need to follow us around. I won’t assume it was because we are all minorities, but it was pretty damn obvious they were on us hard.

To anyone traveling through Atlanta, definitely check out The Buckhead Club for dinner. It’s great!!!!!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

The Dye Club at Barefoot Resort in Myrtle Beach was awesome. Its not private but in my opinion its the best at the resort. And only paying the $30 cart fee makes it the best value in the area. It has a links feel to it similar to True Blue. Fairly forgiving fairways with deep punishing waste bunkers. Every time I have played here its been in great shape.

All the courses at Mission Hills were solid, but the Dinah Shore is my favorite Clubcorp course. Indian Wells CC is solid as well. Couple of boring hole before a great finish.

The Dye Club at Barefoot is solid. Wachesaw Plantation Club was awesome in my opinion. Really enjoyed that course, and it dries up really quick after rain.

La Costa is also a solid value in San Diego as well as Shadowridge. Did not like Morgan Run at all, on the bottom of my list

Tuscon National was a steal and Oro Valley is great as well. Solid 3 courses in Tuscon.

Anthem CC has two great courses. Ironwood overall was better but loved the finishing hole at persimmons.

Seville was solid as well with great greens. Didn't play Gainey Ranch

Dallas obviously has a hot bed of course. Stonebridge Ranch Dye course is the best. The may be debated now that the have bought TPC Craig Ranch which is solid as well. Gleneagles is great along with stonebriar. Both solid. Trophy club gets overlooked, but the only Hogan designed course is a treat to play. The Clubs of Prestonwood hills course was great.

You could easily make a great golf trip out of Gleneagles, The trails of Prestonwood, Stonebridge, Stonebriar, and the addition of TPC Craig Ranch. 8 courses within 30 minutes.

Austin has some sold courses near the lake. The hills of lakeway flintrock will test your game. The signature used to host a champions tour back in the day. Lost Creek won't see me again.

Houston is another hotbed, and where I play. The golf trails of the woodlands and the woodlands country club are very solid. The clubs of Kingwood island and deerwood (tin cup us open scenes were filmed on deerwood) are solid. Lake Windcrest is one of my favorites. If you are heading to the beach, Magnolia Creek is a solid links course on the way to Galveston. I personally play at Falcon Point and enjoy it. If you hate houses or water stay away, they are everywhere.

Again, staying in the woodlands you could play Woodlands CC, Trails of the Woodlands, Lake Windcrest, Kingwood country club for a total of 7 rounds and not 30 minutes apart.

San Antonio has two enjoyable courses at Fair Oaks Ranch. Some elevation change. They go good with TPC San Antonio and La Cantera (only Fair Oaks is clubcorp)

Couple of New Mexico courses. in Albuquerque The Canyon Club is an old course that has great conditions. It plays and feels like a different era. Picacho Hills is one of my favorites in Las Cruces. Solid course and a lot of fun.

PGA National, what a steal! Coupled with Lago Mar. TPC Eagle Trace discount is ok. Worn down a bit.

The Golden Bear Club outside Orlando was awesome. I'll be back to this one. Discount at Celebration was good.

Plan on visiting a lot more but if you have questions about any of these, especially in Texas I will be glad to answer. I also started a golf blog last year. I won't post it so I won't get in trouble again but you can see it in my profile. Some of these aren't on there as I played them before I started the blog and didn't take the necessary pictures.

All the courses at Mission Hills were solid, but the Dinah Shore is my favorite Clubcorp course. Indian Wells CC is solid as well. Couple of boring hole before a great finish.

The Dye Club at Barefoot is solid. Wachesaw Plantation Club was awesome in my opinion. Really enjoyed that course, and it dries up really quick after rain.

La Costa is also a solid value in San Diego as well as Shadowridge. Did not like Morgan Run at all, on the bottom of my list

Tuscon National was a steal and Oro Valley is great as well. Solid 3 courses in Tuscon.

Anthem CC has two great courses. Ironwood overall was better but loved the finishing hole at persimmons.

Dallas obviously has a hot bed of course. Stonebridge Ranch Dye course is the best. The may be debated now that the have bought TPC Craig Ranch which is solid as well. Gleneagles is great along with stonebriar. Both solid. Trophy club gets overlooked, but the only Hogan designed course is a treat to play. The Clubs of Prestonwood hills course was great.

You could easily make a great golf trip out of Gleneagles, The trails of Prestonwood, Stonebridge, Stonebriar, and the addition of TPC Craig Ranch. 8 courses within 30 minutes.

Austin has some sold courses near the lake. The hills of lakeway flintrock will test your game. The signature used to host a champions tour back in the day. Lost Creek won't see me again.

Houston is another hotbed, and where I play. The golf trails of the woodlands and the woodlands country club are very solid. The clubs of Kingwood island and deerwood (tin cup us open scenes were filmed on deerwood) are solid. Lake Windcrest is one of my favorites. If you are heading to the beach, Magnolia Creek is a solid links course on the way to Galveston. I personally play at Falcon Point and enjoy it. If you hate houses or water stay away, they are everywhere.

Again, staying in the woodlands you could play Woodlands CC, Trails of the Woodlands, Lake Windcrest, Kingwood country club for a total of 7 rounds and not 30 minutes apart.

San Antonio has two enjoyable courses at Fair Oaks Ranch. Some elevation change. They go good with TPC San Antonio and La Cantera (only Fair Oaks is clubcorp)

Couple of New Mexico courses. in Albuquerque The Canyon Club is an old course that has great conditions. It plays and feels like a different era. Picacho Hills is one of my favorites in Las Cruces. Solid course and a lot of fun.

PGA National, what a steal! Coupled with Lago Mar. TPC Eagle Trace discount is ok. Worn down a bit.

The Golden Bear Club outside Orlando was awesome. I'll be back to this one. Discount at Celebration was good.

Plan on visiting a lot more but if you have questions about any of these, especially in Texas I will be glad to answer. I also started a golf blog last year. I won't post it so I won't get in trouble again but you can see it in my profile. Some of these aren't on there as I played them before I started the blog and didn't take the necessary pictures.

Great post. Which course did you play at PGA national?

Great post. Which course did you play at PGA national?

I played the championship and Palmer. Championship is M-Th with clubcorp. It was awesome. Palmer was ehh.

Mission Hills (Dinah Shore at the top) and Firestone are the crown jewels IMO. Kingwood and Woodlands in Houston are fine. Treesdale and Diamond Run in Pittsburgh are solid. CC of the South was great when I played it (pre-ClubCorp). Really enjoyed Coto de Caza.

Other ClubCorp courses have been okay. Nothing more than okay. Not complaining; just expressing my opinion here.

Mission Hills (Dinah Shore at the top) and Firestone are the crown jewels IMO. Kingwood and Woodlands in Houston are fine. Treesdale and Diamond Run in Pittsburgh are solid. CC of the South was great when I played it (pre-ClubCorp). Really enjoyed Coto de Caza.

Other ClubCorp courses have been okay. Nothing more than okay. Not complaining; just expressing my opinion here.

I think that’s a fair observation if you haven’t gotten to play more of them.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

In my experience even the "better than average" club corp tracks have excellent conditioning, service, and atmosphere.

Service has generally been excellent. Conditioning has consistently been satisfactory. Atmosphere is a function of the individual's preference.

Hey, I've enjoyed the ClubCorp experience, and I recommend it. But it's unquestionably got a corporate vibe and feel, and it's nothing like the usual private equity club experience. Just two entirely different sorts of things - and there are plenty of potential complaints about private equity clubs, too.

• Like 1

Another vote for Mission Hills and the Dinah Shore course. Cool old school feel to it.

Las Vegas has a couple of good tracks. Bears Best definitely feels artificial in the way it flows, but does have some good holes and is usually in great shape. Also winds through some ridiculously cool homes. Canyon Gate is a pretty typical CC club, but again, great conditions (after they replaced the greens) and a super friendly staff.

Golden Bear’s Club at Windmere is a nice course in the Orlando area. Will play this one again next time I’m down there.

Another vote for Mission Hills and the Dinah Shore course. Cool old school feel to it.

Las Vegas has a couple of good tracks. Bears Best definitely feels artificial in the way it flows, but does have some good holes and is usually in great shape. Also winds through some ridiculously cool homes. Canyon Gate is a pretty typical CC club, but again, great conditions (after they replaced the greens) and a super friendly staff.

Golden Bear’s Club at Windmere is a nice course in the Orlando area. Will play this one again next time I’m down there.

Phenomenal track which Hideki used to be a member out there, he may still be. I didn’t know Golden Bear at Keanes Point was absorbed into the ClubCorp family.

Phenomenal track which Hideki used to be a member out there, he may still be. I didn’t know Golden Bear at Keanes Point was absorbed into the ClubCorp family.

I was out there this past summer playing the Golden Bear Club. Talk with a member on and off again. As far as I know, it is not a clubcorp owned course. It is just a part of the reciprocal program. There are several of these and typically they are a little bit better conditioned from the ones I have played.

I was out there this past summer playing the Golden Bear Club. Talk with a member on and off again. As far as I know, it is not a clubcorp owned course. It is just a part of the reciprocal program. There are several of these and typically they are a little bit better conditioned from the ones I have played.

Ah that makes sense. I know it used to be under the Celebration/Integrity Golf Management, which was a total $hit show (I used to work with them and knew people in the Orlando that worked for them, absolute joke of a company think their former VP fled to South America?)

This is an awesome post and thanks for starting!!

I’m located outside Minneapolis, MN and 102 miles from Somerby golf Club outside Rochester, MN. It hosted a web.com tour event back in the day and is a top 10 MN course.

I should be able to do a review of Somerby, and also Bear’s Best, which I just played in Las Vegas, and got a full bag of M3 rentals.

I agree with the sentiments above about paying roughly $30 per round (and free nice rentals if it doesn’t workout to bring your own clubs).

Looking forward to creating some great reviews to serve the WRX community and thanks again, OP!

In my experience even the "better than average" club corp tracks have excellent conditioning, service, and atmosphere.

Service has generally been excellent. Conditioning has consistently been satisfactory. Atmosphere is a function of the individual's preference.

Hey, I've enjoyed the ClubCorp experience, and I recommend it. But it's unquestionably got a corporate vibe and feel, and it's nothing like the usual private equity club experience. Just two entirely different sorts of things - and there are plenty of potential complaints about private equity clubs, too.

I agree with this. The experience has been good so far, even a year ago when I joined two weeks ahead of my buddy’s bachelor party in Dallas to watch some ncaa basketball. We flew in early, ubered to the closest clubcorp course to DFW airport and they let us use the locker room to change, treated both and and my bachelor buddy super well, and we got out to play a round of golf that only took 3.5 hours, members in front of us and behind us. Great experience so far!

This is an awesome post and thanks for starting!!

I’m located outside Minneapolis, MN and 102 miles from Somerby golf Club outside Rochester, MN. It hosted a web.com tour event back in the day and is a top 10 MN course.

I should be able to do a review of Somerby, and also Bear’s Best, which I just played in Las Vegas, and got a full bag of M3 rentals.

I agree with the sentiments above about paying roughly $30 per round (and free nice rentals if it doesn’t workout to bring your own clubs).

Looking forward to creating some great reviews to serve the WRX community and thanks again, OP!

I will be will be looking forward to this. I am from Minnesota as well. My wife and I have a few road trips planned and hoping to contribute to this thread a lot too.

Planning on doing a long weekend and hitting the club Corp courses on Eau Claire, Wausau, and Green Bay. Another trip hitting Milwaukee and Chicago area. And hopefully hitting up Davenport and Des Moines in April to get a couple week head start on the season up here.

Has anyone ever played Greenbrier Country Club in Norfolk, VA?

I played in in the summer of 2017. Decent course. I remember it being a little tight, but conditions were good. Other than that nothing really stands out in my mind.

It's nothing special, but I'd play it again.

Sounds like what I'm looking for then. I'll be in town for work so i'll just be looking for a quick afternoon round

I played in in the summer of 2017. Decent course. I remember it being a little tight, but conditions were good. Other than that nothing really stands out in my mind.

It's nothing special, but I'd play it again.

I have played it a few times and agree with this assessment, solid but nothing incredible. The front nine is a little longer and wide then the back is shorter and tight. Several memorable holes, it was in good shape each time I played and a good pace even each time.