MEMBER REVIEWS: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus4! Read What Members Are Saying!

Got my delivery and thank you to Golf Pride and Golfwrx for the chance to try and test the new Tour Velvet +4 grip.

Have not got a chance to game it yet because of the rainy and cold weather here, and have to wait for the solvent and grip tape.

I installed the three grips on my driver, my driving iron and a wedge, is kind a weird now that i have a different grips on my 3 clubs. I have been playing for 15 years and never have diff grips on my clubs.

But will see, i think the grips are too busy, i prefer the old tour velvet which i been using for years,

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I find it a little 'cheap' of Golf Pride, the dominant force in golf grips, to give just 3 grips away to each person. I appreciate that FREE is FREE but to be honest for what they get in return from the testers its a little poor. I appreciate that they've done the same in the Z Grip Align and very possibly others that I've not noticed but even so the actual cost to them is next to nothing and these poor testers are having to re-grip three of their own clubs, messing with the rest of their set so that they aren't matched. Come on Golf Pride give the guys a full 13 grips!

I can't fault their products, but this strikes me as a little Kuchar-ish.

You could look at it that way, or you could look at it as a chance for people to give new products a try, and if they don't like the 3 tester grips, they only have to replace those 3 instead of all 13. And hey, nobody's being forced to sign up. Just sayin'...

I spent some time at the range today practicing in between lessons.

I love the feel of these grips. They have just the right amount of firmness. Not to soft, but definitely not the hardness of a cord grip.

I will make an amendment on an earlier comment. No way I could play these with three layers. Two full layers is too much. The size with the extra tape makes them hard to release. Once I got to hitting them side by side with my Lamkin grips, I realized how big they are. I’m going to pull the grip off my 7 iron and then reinstall with only one layer and then see how it feels. It could partially be the Modus shafts. I haven’t measured them or checked specs, but they’ve always felt they had a bigger butt diameter than my old DGS300s.

The extra logo is hard to notice now. I guess I’ve gotten used to seeing the Lamkin logo on my grips so that the “Tour Velvet” script looks small and doesn’t bother me at all.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I love the feel of these grips. They have just the right amount of firmness. Not to soft, but definitely not the hardness of a cord grip.

I will make an amendment on an earlier comment. No way I could play these with three layers. Two full layers is too much. The size with the extra tape makes them hard to release. Once I got to hitting them side by side with my Lamkin grips, I realized how big they are. I’m going to pull the grip off my 7 iron and then reinstall with only one layer and then see how it feels. It could partially be the Modus shafts. I haven’t measured them or checked specs, but they’ve always felt they had a bigger butt diameter than my old DGS300s.

The extra logo is hard to notice now. I guess I’ve gotten used to seeing the Lamkin logo on my grips so that the “Tour Velvet” script looks small and doesn’t bother me at all.

Oh good to know I usually play 1 extra wrap w/ the velvets and I do have the Modus 125 shafts. I thought for sure I was gonna get these but I’m more reserved now with the concerns of releasing the club!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Oh good to know I usually play 1 extra wrap w/ the velvets and I do have the Modus 125 shafts. I thought for sure I was gonna get these but I’m more reserved now with the concerns of releasing the club!

I would test one club with no extra grip tape to get the feel... I put 2 extra wraps and for me, wedge was normal release, 7i was late release, driver was “can’t” release.

I would test one club with no extra grip tape to get the feel... I put 2 extra wraps and for me, wedge was normal release, 7i was late release, driver was “can’t” release.

Does the top of the grip feel thicker than the standard tour Velvet? Or the same? Curious about adding an extra wrap on just the top half instead of the whole length

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

To me, the top half felt the same at address.

Once I started swinging with the driver and the thickness started over powering my swing, I felt it was just too much grip as a whole(guess it’s a feel thing).

I would highly recommend only extra wrapping the top half or none at all to start.

Shakey’s regripping and cant wait for his review... maybe less grip tape all together is the key.

I finally got to hit a few balls today with the new Tour Velvet Midsize plus4.

It’s been a rough week. Got a major cold and a nasty spider bite on the trapezoid.

But I’m better now, except the spider bite, and ready hit review the grips.

I normally play Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize with 2 wraps all the way down.

I install the grips on my driver and my wedges, 1 wrap on the driver, 2 on the wedges.

Look: Consistent with the Tour Velvet except the gray cap.

Feel: I do think the top hand feels bigger than the Tour wrap, apart of that I like the feel and the firmness of the grip.

Driver: I think the bottom hand is to larger for me and makes it hard to turn the head over, not sure it’s for me.

Wedges: Now I love them on the wedge, I play every iron an inch long and love to grip down on them, the plus4 make it very easy to move your hand up and down the grip, I like that for chipping.

So I will keep those grips on my wedges but will go back to the Tour Wrap midsize on the driver.

Thanks golfpride and golfwrx for the opportunity.

Just installed these on my Driver, 3i, 7i and 58deg. Waiting for them to dry so I can go swing them. Ended up going +1 wrap on the top half of the grip. Since I usually play +1 extra wrap on the regular velvets.

Follow up from previous review.

I played a full 18 the other day with mine. Love this grip on my driver. No extra wraps as I have small hands. I also stretched the grip down just a little bit more. I was hitting wonderful drives right down the middle all day so the grip may have helped me avoid my miss which is a hook.

Wasn't crazy about it on my irons but I know I will be installing them on my woods. Wedges I could go either way.

All in all, I think this grip will fit a ton of golfers. Now if we could just get an undersized version......

To me, the top half felt the same at address.

Once I started swinging with the driver and the thickness started over powering my swing, I felt it was just too much grip as a whole(guess its a feel thing).

I would highly recommend only extra wrapping the top half or none at all to start.

Shakeys regripping and cant wait for his review... maybe less grip tape all together is the key.

I’m hoping to get that done soon. Been too busy over the last few days.

After testing these they are going on all my clubs! I was able to work the ball both ways with all my club and didn’t have a problem releasing the clubs. They felt great in my hands reduced some of the flipping of the club in hands and the tension of over gripping that I tend to do sometimes. On the wedges it felt nice gripping down on them. Ended up going plus 1 wrap on the top of the grip.

These are very high on my list for my next regrip. Currently have the mcc+4 aligns and the align the check definitely helped my grip, now I think the texture of the TV will be much better for me too.

Good thoughts and reviews so far!

if you are already gaming the MCC+4 and you loved the TV texture.. you will love the TV+4, it's a great combination and great grip.

I moved all 3 to my wedges and love them.

I’ve yet to pull mine and reinstall with less tape, but I noticed something earlier today when I was moving my clubs around.

I got my irons in October and have played 22 holes with them and had multiple range sessions. My Lamkins feel amazingly slick already.

Keeping that in mind, the texture of the TV feels 10 times better. If the size is right after the reinstall, I’ll probably go ahead and swap over. It all comes down to the size. If they are still too big, I might go to regular TV again and figure tape build up out and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just regripped my wedges with these with only one layer of tape.  They feel much better.  I'm going to hit them a few more days.  If it goes ok, I'll prob do the whole set.  

Timbo929: "its very tacky and will fly in any weather." Umm, is that something you want to put in a review? LOL Will the CLUB fly or will the ball? ;)

Anyways, some decent reviews here. I don't use a glove, and like a soft feel (That's what she said) and these may be going on my wedges for the time being. Thank you for the reviews.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Timbo929: "its very tacky and will fly in any weather." Umm, is that something you want to put in a review? LOL Will the CLUB fly or will the ball? ;)

Anyways, some decent reviews here. I don't use a glove, and like a soft feel (That's what she said) and these may be going on my wedges for the time being. Thank you for the reviews.

--kC

(I cant find the reply button) my reply:

LOL, sorry Kc.. I just wanted to add a little jargon to entertain and connect with the younger generation golfers(grow the game). Fly in any weather basically means it will be a great grip rain or shine.

for the wedges: HOMERUN! Especially for the wedges you use for the short game!

• 2 weeks later...

I love these on my wedges. The feel is exceptional. I just installed them on my driver and three wood today. 1 layer of tape is just right.

> @60golfer said:

> I bought three to test and early results are good but I hate that both sides of the grip are logged. Such a pain to install and not be able to eliminate a logo.

Yep. That’s my only knock on these grips so far.

I took a black sharpie and colored in the tour velvet logo after intalling the Golf Pride logo down. Don't really notice it now.

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

> @shakey said:

> I love these on my wedges. The feel is exceptional. I just installed them on my driver and three wood today. 1 layer of tape is just right.

FYI.. the Q and A with GP confirmed the top half of the TV plus 4's are thicker....

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1761698/ask-questions-golf-pride-grips-live-q-a-thursday-april-11th-12pm-et-9am-pt/p2

less grip tape is a wise move as I will do the same.