USGA PR team to Justin Thomas: "We need to talk"

ZNDavis

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it's possible that you can think that the players ARE being a bit childish in their complaining, and STILL think the USGA is acting like buffoons. It's not a zero sum thing.

Some of the complaining over pretty basic rule change, hey I'm on board with a little ribbing...

But this is the friggin governing body of golf, engaging in twitter beefs with pros, and from the sounds of it somewhat misrepresenting them at that. It's hilarious ,it's like they turned over the account to a 16 yr old

Don't know if I agree. Lot's of disparaging of the USGA on the internet. Can't blame them for for lashing out and giving JT a bit of his own medicine.

The USGA shows just how arrogant they are in how they drafted the tweet. "Justin, we need to talk." Like a father would say to his 16 year old who snuck out of the house at night.

They easily could have said "Justin, we'd like to talk," but they can't help themselves. They are inherently condescending.

Justin had avoided all communication, like a petulant teenager locking himself in his room. He deserved the treatment he got.

So, he's a liar?

Nope, just as spinny as my ProV1x. USGA too.

Wasn't available to take the calls = Cancelled meetings. Whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lazy2:

So, JT is lying when he says he has communicated, right?

“We've tried to get on a couple calls, and I was in the middle of this three-week stretch, so I was like, 'Look, I'm sorry, this time isn't very good.' But we're definitely going to talk at some point.”

But Thomas said it wasn’t right to say he cancelled meetings.

:lol:

I couldn't tell you if he's lying or not but he sure can dance !!! :yahoo:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

These threads yet again make me ask...

...show me on the doll where the USGA touched you.

On the right hand.

I met Mike Davis once and he shook my hand.

Lol. In fairness, I don't have a horse in this race - considering the level of golf I play. I just find it interesting so many have been scarred by the USGA.

Certainly elicits a lot of emotion.

So, JT is lying when he says he has communicated, right?

“We've tried to get on a couple calls, and I was in the middle of this three-week stretch, so I was like, 'Look, I'm sorry, this time isn't very good.' But we're definitely going to talk at some point.”

But Thomas said it wasn’t right to say he cancelled meetings.

:lol:

I couldn't tell you if he's lying or not but he sure can dance !!! :yahoo:

Yeah.

“It was a little shocking,” Thomas said of the Twitter back-and-forth. “I’ve had communication with the USGA and I’ve talked with a couple people about how I feel. … It’s a little upsetting just because it was inaccurate. I haven’t canceled anything, especially any meetings. But it is what it is and all I want is the best for the game of golf and the best for the sport.”

You know it's possible that you can think that the players ARE being a bit childish in their complaining, and STILL think the USGA is acting like buffoons. It's not a zero sum thing.

Some of the complaining over pretty basic rule change, hey I'm on board with a little ribbing...

But this is the friggin governing body of golf, engaging in twitter beefs with pros, and from the sounds of it somewhat misrepresenting them at that. It's hilarious ,it's like they turned over the account to a 16 yr old

Don't know if I agree. Lot's of disparaging of the USGA on the internet. Can't blame them for for lashing out and giving JT a bit of his own medicine.

I sincerely hope the USGA continues to lash out at those who keep them relevant. The ending could be very good for golf.

The GIF responses to that are awesome.

It does make JT look a bit like a ...... turd.

Well, he is being a bit of a turd.

But he has company among the players.

I, for one, am glad JT is being a “turdâ€. In this country, we have not seen a level of arrogance displayed by the USGA since King George ruled the colonies.

You're right.

It was very arrogant of the USGA to expect the players to actually learn the rules they are expected to play by. And it was really arrogant of them to think that the players would not act like my 8 and 9 year old grandchildren.

All the rule changes came as such a surprise, too

Holy Shite, there are rules!?

Jk, I wonder this: who is more on the side of golf itself? The USGA, or golfers who make cash by playing ?

USGA makes rules to make golf better.

Pro Golfers do not like these rules because it costs them $10,000 a stroke. The difference in which week of the year they can buy their new sports car!!

Why be on the pro golfers side when the USGA is on your side? They defend the game so YOU and your kids can play at any level.

I love pro golf and the golfers but it’s like having something in common with a king and you a peasant. Their reasons for not liking something are far different than mine.

So JT rips the USGA to shreds and says they don’t communicate, then someone from the USGA fires back and he admits they have communicated with him and tried to set up calls but he’s too busy for any of that. And he acts hurt that the USGA responded to his criticism and rips social media even though he’s the one that kicked all of this off on social media. Oh and he points out that his take on a recent ruling resulted in a tweak of the rules which shows that the USGA is indeed listening to players.

You don’t have to like the USGA but JT is indefensible in this scenario. He essentially wants to be able to complain without being challenged or having to defend his position. Which is as weak as it gets IMO.

Not sure this has been asked yet, or answered....but is there any kind of details as to what meetings they are referring to? I assume Justin Thomas doesn't meet with the entire USGA management team, so who were the meetings scheduled with? How many was there that were cancelled? Were these like official meetings or just things where a rep called his reps and things didn't work out?

Did Justin cancel like 6 meetings that were legit booked with time and places with USGA officials?

All of this stuff is kinda important if you're a big organization and making tweets that a 16 year old would make. At least in my opinion.

I'd be interested in seeing Thomas respond to that part of the tweet

JT's side.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/justin-thomas-usga-pr-tweet-was-inaccurate-and-really-hurt-me

So it’s as I suspected. No real communication or “ cancelled meetings” occurred. Come on USga. You can’t just make it up.

At this point I agree. Everyone involved is best served probably by shutting up. But . Making up things and tweeting them is kind of the opposite of that.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not sure this has been asked yet, or answered....but is there any kind of details as to what meetings they are referring to? I assume Justin Thomas doesn't meet with the entire USGA management team, so who were the meetings scheduled with? How many was there that were cancelled? Were these like official meetings or just things where a rep called his reps and things didn't work out?

Did Justin cancel like 6 meetings that were legit booked with time and places with USGA officials?

All of this stuff is kinda important if you're a big organization and making tweets that a 16 year old would make. At least in my opinion.

JT's side.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/justin-thomas-usga-pr-tweet-was-inaccurate-and-really-hurt-me

So it’s as I suspected. No real communication or “ cancelled meetings” occurred. Come on USga. You can’t just make it up.

At this point I agree. Everyone involved is best served probably by shutting up. But . Making up things and tweeting them is kind of the opposite of that.

The “cancelled meetings” stuff is just semantics. If conference calls are being set up then pushed back because of his schedule then YMMV on whether that’s considered canceling meetings or not. But I don’t think anyone can say no real communication has been occurring. He admits that he “knows those guys” and it sounds like they’ve been communicating quite a bit this year. We’re barely two months into the year, I don’t think we can pretend January & February are ancient history as much as JT is trying to frame it that way.

JT's side.

The “cancelled meetings” stuff is just semantics. If conference calls are being set up then pushed back because of his schedule then YMMV on whether that’s considered canceling meetings or not. But I don’t think anyone can say no real communication has been occurring. He admits that he “knows those guys” and it sounds like they’ve been communicating quite a bit this year. We’re barely two months into the year, I don’t think we can pretend January & February are ancient history as much as JT is trying to frame it that way.

No.

You need to reread. He said it was during the last 3 week stretch and he didn’t want to do it during playing week. There was no meeting setup. There was no conference call setup and canceled. He simply said “ can’t do it right now guys “. And I don’t blame him. Why let the USga ruin a weeks work ? Depending on the age level of the conversation that could happen. If Davis gets on the phone and gives a “ Daddy speach” that could ruin your attitude for several days.

You can’t make the jump from “ no guys can’t do the conference call this week “ to “ canceled several meetings “. That’s not semantics. That’s a lie.

Sounds harsh. Not intended to really be. But the USga rep gave a very inaccurate accounting of the events.

And again. Thomas isn’t my favorite guy. But I absolutely get why he wouldn’t want to go down that road during a tournament. A week off is the correct time for everyone. And I’d agree with anyone who says he needs to shut up until that talk happens.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don’t need to reread anything. The bottom line is that JT is publicly complaining about not having the ear of the USGA on these rules changes, when its quite clear that he can talk to them at the highest levels whenever he wants. He admits he’s been talking to them all this year, just not in the last couple of weeks apparently. That’s a stretch to call that “no real communication”. Nobody can say for sure whose right or wrong on the “canceled meetings” stuff (although it’s highly suspicious when called to the carpet that the response is “I’ve been busy for three weeks”). JT is very disingenuous in all of this. He clearly didn’t expect to get called out and thought he could lob bombs all day without a response.

Wow. I can’t understand how you’d not see this bold faced lie ?

As for JT saying no real communication has happened “. Im sure that’s referring to the one sided conversation he’s had. Communication implies that’s both sides have spoke and listened. I doubt he’s had much more than a regurgitation of the rule said to him. And if that’s the Stance that’s cool. But that’s a far cry from “ real communication “. That’s a “ shut up boy” . If that’s true his description is accurate.

But to defend the lie the PR person told ? If I’m JT I’m looking for that persons job. Or at least a name so the liar would be known . I mean. Can you give that testimony in court and not be committing perjury? Then it’s a lie.

Spin it around to your profession.

In mine the rules body would be someone similar to the state environmental rules agency. Suppose they tweeted directly at me and claimed I’d canceled several meetings regarding a potential fine I was facing. And suppose that is absolutely false. Well that’s very close to libel . If not exactly that. Certainly would have implications in an appeals court or hearing if it was left as a factual statement. Words matter. And lies must be squashed.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The USGA shows just how arrogant they are in how they drafted the tweet. "Justin, we need to talk." Like a father would say to his 16 year old who snuck out of the house at night.

They easily could have said "Justin, we'd like to talk," but they can't help themselves. They are inherently condescending.

Justin had avoided all communication, like a petulant teenager locking himself in his room. He deserved the treatment he got.

So, he's a liar?

I think JT is working around the truth, rather than being completely truthful. The tweet that brought the USGA reaction said

"I more so say things in hopes that the USGA starts communicating with the current players "

Doesn't it sound like he hasn't heard a thing from the USGA? Now he says he's had multiple conversations all along. Well which is it? He complains that the USGA's twitter post was inaccurate. Yet his own words contradict his own twitter statement, hasn't he done the same thing? In the same press conference, he's claimed that he never cancelled a meeting, then later says he did bail on a few conference calls. Another seeming contradiction, I know that I look at conference calls the same way I do meetings, without the travel. And now he's interested in the good of the game. I can't say I believe that twitter-bitching about each and every rules violation is in the best interest of the game. I can't say that him telling us that every single rules change is bad is in the best interest of the game.

I don't think that the USGA's statement was wise either, and may not have been completely accurate. However, it sounds like JT will finally allocate some time to talk with the USGA. This whole mess belongs behind closed doors, neither the players nor the USGA needs to be engaging in public mudslinging.

One last thing. Slugger White, head rules official for the PGA Tour, said (of the caddie rule) that the Tour supports the rule, and is just concerned about its implementation. I really think that Slugger would be the logical choice to represent the players rules concerns in the public arenas. Greater maturity, grater experience.

In all honesty, what is JT complaining about? The drop height? The caddy lining people up? Even if he disagrees, it is childish for him to be wasting any energy on this. The right moves is to say:

"Look, I disagree with some of the new rules like the caddy lining players up. The rulings thus far have been inconsistent and I think the USGA should look at that. In the meantime, my caddy and I have a protocol to ensure that doesn't happen to us and I'd encourage other players to do the same."

A little perspective would help him not look like a ******. He's complaining about something that affects about 125 golfers a week in America.

JT needs to realize, despite his game, he's not important to the game of golf as a whole.

USGA makes rules to make golf better.

Pro Golfers do not like these rules because it costs them $10,000 a stroke. The difference in which week of the year they can buy their new sports car!!

Why be on the pro golfers side when the USGA is on your side? They defend the game so YOU and your kids can play at any level.

I love pro golf and the golfers but it’s like having something in common with a king and you a peasant. Their reasons for not liking something are far different than mine.

^^^That's a joke, right? While I applaud the USGA's efforts on these new rule changes, they have a history riddled with arrogance and being out of touch, especially with the amateur golfer. I'd really love to know the level of engagement they solicited from touring pros, high level amateurs and serious weekend warriors as they came up with these new rules. I suspect they did most of it in their own little circle with a few "hand selected" minds of their own ilk. How much modification did they do when the solicited input on the drafts? How much do they really listen? I don't know but I have my doubts.

Yeah the USGA has a credibility issue with me. I'm suspicious of pretty much everything coming out of the USGA executive team. For instance they said they had overwhelming support for coming up with a world handicap system yet they only solicited their GHIN holders ONCE with a survey buried in one email. And yet while they only had something like a less than 1% response to the survey they somehow concluded that as "overwhelming support." I'm sure that is exactly what they wanted and they really only wanted input from generally "hand selected" minds. I mean seriously, besides an elite minority like the USGA's Locust Valley Lockjaw friends, who really is regularly jetting off overseas to play handicapped golf with those on differing handicap systems? Sorry but I smell fish!

The USGA comes off as immature and unprofessional.

Publicly embarrassing a major champion on Twitter because he’s upset for his playing partners and upset at the new rules and how they’re enforced...makes you wonder what the hell a “PR Department” is for.

The rule changes have not gone over well. Knee-drop height is stupid, professional golfers not being able to replace their clubs if they break is stupid (imagine if a baseball player broke his bat and couldn’t replace it), and the caddy rule is quite clearly hard to define and interpret.

Like Schenk lifted both his feet off the ground after his caddie left his crouch and was no longer behind him. If aligning a player doesn’t involve setting your feet...

You could also argue that Schenks caddy didn’t know Schenk wasn’t going to reset from when he was standing behind him - the language in the rule states that the caddy must be aware that he’s beginning to take his stance for the shot to be played.

As for JT saying no real communication has happened “. Im sure that’s referring to the one sided conversation he’s had. Communication implies that’s both sides have spoke and listened. I doubt he’s had much more than a regurgitation of the rule said to him. And if that’s the Stance that’s cool. But that’s a far cry from “ real communication “. That’s a “ shut up boy” . If that’s true his description is accurate.

But to defend the lie the PR person told ? If I’m JT I’m looking for that persons job. Or at least a name so the liar would be known . I mean. Can you give that testimony in court and not be committing perjury? Then it’s a lie.

In mine the rules body would be someone similar to the state environmental rules agency. Suppose they tweeted directly at me and claimed I’d canceled several meetings regarding a potential fine I was facing. And suppose that is absolutely false. Well that’s very close to libel . If not exactly that. Certainly would have implications in an appeals court or hearing if it was left as a factual statement. Words matter. And lies must be squashed.

So to be clear, JT had time to go on social media and bash the USGA but not time to take a call. And that's good in your book?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Also the 2-strokes cost Schenk $64,000 and 26 FedEx points.

The guy is trying to keep his card and make a living and win the golf tournament.

Does this penalty get called if he’s not on TV because he’s one of the leaders?

Your defense of Schenk is a stretch. He claims the caddie was behind him to decide where to land the bunker shot.... That's not lining up? Of course it is.

So to be clear, JT had time to go on social media and bash the USGA but not time to take a call. And that's good in your book?

No. I think I repeatedly said he should shut up.

But. To just go and lie as big as that ? That’s a whole other kettle of fish.

Imagine if JT has gone on twitter and said “ the USga is dodging me. We’ve scheduled 4 meetings in the last 3 weeks and they’ve no shown all of them. “

That’s almosy exactly what the USga insinuated happened in reverse and it’s all false.

People wonder why every single thing the USga says or does is questioned. Do you think that the R and As PR person comes out and tells this lie ? No I’m sure they handle it like gentlemen and ladies and don’t stoop to the poop throwing situation we have now. Nobody is excusing JT . He’s said his piece and should stop.

But the USga is embarrassing itself. You can’t call someone out with a made up scenario. Usually backfired as I suspect this is doing on Twitter right now. I’m not even on twitter and I know they will be hanged from the tallest tree for this one.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe the miscommunication is that the USga has “ summoned” him and he’s said “ can’t do it that day “? lol. Is that what they call “ planning a meeting “. I bet it is

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The USGA does not work for the Pro tours. Their focus is more on the amateur game. The Pro Tours are independent, money grabbing businesses whose innovation is putting cars on tee boxes and beer gardens. The Tours could and should make their own rules if they don't like them.

And trying to gin up interest in a boring, irrelevant YE event and FedEx cup.

So he has talked to them about the rules but hasn’t....perhaps rather than taking the time to whine about the rules online he should reach out to the USA.

“It is unfortunate,” Thomas added on Sunday. “It just was — it really hurt me. It was upsetting to me because they were putting — the information they put out there was inaccurate in terms of me canceling meetings, and that doesn’t make me look good, and that’s just when I got a little upset, and then we had talked some communication with them because I know those guys — I’ve talked to them, and I’ve talked to them about the rules this year. We’ve all tried to communicate and tried to get better relationships with them. It is what it is, and all we’re looking is to better the sport and better the game.”