2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

USGA PR team to Justin Thomas: "We need to talk"

ZNDavis

JT is a big baby. He wants to complain but gets called out then whines. He is my leadt favorite player, tons of talent but wow.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a millionaires power struggle. The pga has the power to make their own rules but the commissioner won’t allow it. That is because since everyone is just a few putt away from making the tour (sarcasm)...the pga tour rules are the ones people would play by making the usga pointless as far as a rules making body.

Whatever the rules are, the pga players seem to think they can take as long as they want since they are playing for so much money...blah blah blah. They sure as hell don’t care enough about the money to make sure their caddy isn’t anywhere near them when addressing the ball. I find it funny that this rule was most likely written to address this particularly on the lpga tour..If there has been a infraction, I haven’t heard about it. Some of those gals have been doing it for years on every shot and since they are actually playing for food and rent money..they gave a crap enough to actually learn the new rules and probably put in a plan to practice them before competition started.

Even the R&A appears to side with the players, as chief executive Martin Slumbers remarked on Tuesday, “I think it's fair to say that it hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked," just days after USGA CEO Mike Davis said at a conference, "From my perspective, I would say by and large they’ve been a huge success."

Precisely. Sometimes you just have to be accountable for your actions, just like I tell my kids and then fess up when something has screwed up. Pretty simple

So JT said that the USGA’s tweets saying “we need to talk” and “you cancelled 5 times”, “really hurt”. So he can publicly bash them and complain for 2 straight days instead of taking one of the 5 meetings they scheduled but if they say something he’s hurt? The Honda has really brought out JT’s soft side the past couple years.

I’m going to see myself out of this one an go do some work.

But in closing. I don’t see this being about rules at all anymore. More so about the usgas continued unbelievably out of touch conversation with the players and the public.

The list is long. But some high points are -

1.The USga penalty on DJ at oakmont. Not the rule itself. The handling of it. They ignore his playing partners and the walking official who says he’s good. They interrupt him on the back 9 of a major to ask “ did you break the rule “ ( paraphrasing) dj says “ no I don’t think I did “. So then they counter with “ we would like you to take a look at the super slo mo gnat vision camera when you get finished “.

What part of all that couldn’t wait till he had finished and before signing a card ? Why try to influence the outcome ? They of all people should know better. Thankfully he is absent of most thought and soldiers on.

Then we have

The USga president Murphy appear to be incredibly drunk while giving out the awards no doubt celebrating their huge success ( wrongfully so )

2. Then recently we have Davis on record as giving some players a speech on the range at Pebble. He claims after he spoke they achieved clarity and are all good ( clearly not the case ). No mention from him of allowing either to speak during this teaching moment.

3. Now we have an official USGA PR manager sell the public a prettty bold misuse of the truth to try to silence a pro player.

Just off the top of my head.

Do we think that the R and A just magically doesn’t have these issues ? Wonder why they don’t ?

Am I the only one that sees the difference in how each firm talks, acts and works ?

Again. Not at all arguing for the players continued whining. They’ve spoken. Now it’s time to speak privately or shut up. But. The USga absolutely isn’t in touch with 2019. They continue to act as if It’s 1922 and you can just dictate what happens on the fly without thought for how it looks or effects anyone. Stop talking down to people. And start talking to people. They are worried that will change the respect level. And they are correct it does. But not in the direction they think.

Disclaimer - my opinion based on what my eyes and ears see.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There's no winners here...

The whole thing started because the USGA was trying to be "hip" and "edgy" on the interwebs with how they responded to JT, and in doing so they came across as super defensive and unprofessional. But, at some point good for them for standing up for themselves and pointing out the steps they have done to speak with JT/be sure the professional game is looked after in creation and implementation of the rules (whether or not you agree with the rules themselves does not matter for this specific debacle).

JT meanwhile just furthered this whole petulant spoiled brat image to commemorate the one year anniversary of having that fan removed from Honda in just about the most arrogant, dismissive way possible. Saying he was "hurt" because he hasn't cancelled any meetings - just indefinitely postponed them - reeks of a bully who finally got hit back, as the Shotgun Start podcast pointed out. Or like a rich kid who is not used to having any consequences for his actions finally being told "no".

If he is speaking out to try to be a leader in the game or even on TOUR, this is not the right way to do that. This weekend was handled equally as unprofessionally by JT as the USGA. The TOUR players are not full-go 24-7; let's not pretend "Tournament Week" at most stops is something it's not. If this was enough of a priority for him he could have found 30 minutes for a call. Then he could have say "I've expressed my displeasure, even had a 1-on-1 call and nothing has changed".

Last thing on JT - he said he just wants to make sure all golfers benefit from rules changes. Which may be an innocent poor choice of words. But rules are not solely devised for players's benefits. To me how he worded his statement comes off again as an entitled kid who thinks every change needs to make things better or easier.

And if his argument is that implementation at the professional level - affecting what? 1,000, 1,500 total players? - is the problem, he is barking up the wrong tree. It is the TOUR and their officials who enforce the rules and could ultimately choose to enact local rules as they'd like. A better use of JT's wrath may have been putting it back on the TOUR that, "you know what - these rules don't work FOR THE PROS - it is time to formally bifurcate." They've been playing a different game than the rest us for a long time, anyways, and trying to tell us it is the same.

After playing in a tournament, and not once, but twice!, I had to take a drop and I think it was all of 5 seconds (at most!), I had the tee in ground to mark area, had the ball in my hand while standing straight and estimated my hand is about 8 inches from my knee, I put my hand out while doing a slight bend to make sure I dropped from the same height, ball fell near tee, hopped maybe 2 inches?, and was no closer to hole. In other words, I was able to drop about 5 times faster than it took to type three lines here.

Did I drop improperly? Did I look unathletic? Were my playing partners snickering with the absurdity of my drop? Shockingly, none of those things happened. It was so weird (not really), everything was normal and I was able to hit the next shot with no drama. So I really do not get why the players are so obtuse and cannot figure this out!

Fowler's antics are funny, but only because it makes him look like a goof and I'm ok with that. JT's (like the game) tweets are stupid and should be ignored as any other comments from the peanut gallery are ignored when they are just the "look at me" variety. And the USGA...well, unfortunately it is just another twitter account from another org in this day and age who think this "new way" of communication must be acceptable because...(well, no politics rule).

I am not much of a fan of the USGA in terms of the individuals who have been leading. The org itself I can respect, much needed, and valued. USGA certainly has done 10X (or more) or good than the publicity would have you believe. But it is certain individuals who have not done themselves any favors and make the USGA as an org look pretty bad at times. When you have so a whiny kid tweeting, please, take the high road. What more could the USGA say on this rule that has not already been said? Keep quiet, have your behind the scenes meetings with the PGA Tour leadership so you are aligned, and let the issue pass. It's not long before the snakes in the media are off to something else, so don't fall prey to their antagonism. Look how rapidly we went from Sergio as greenskeeper to Matt as philanthropist to JB's fast play to Cjeka DQ...

The rule is should not be controversial. The prima donnas are whining and the media is stirring the pot; come on USGA, there has to be a way to take the high road while basically telling the players to "s* c* it"

Do we think that the R and A just magically doesn't have these issues ? Wonder why they don't ?

Am I the only one that sees the difference in how each firm talks, acts and works ?

Agreed with most of your points, but the R&A are no saints when it comes to controversy. This is the org that didn't allow women in their membership until 2014.

It just so happens, I actually once sat in the "study" with Peter Dawson and had a chat about golf in such, and at the time when I asked him about all this controversy about private clubs being "forced" to admit women in Scotland, his reply was something like "oh, have those matters reached the U.S." with a little bit of surprise that the news in the U.S. picks up on those things. Emphasis on little bit. And I joked, oh I don't know, I get from out under the rock on Sundays and read all I can on golf. We both chuckled, but you could tell, not a fun subject so we moved on to less exciting topics.

I can't really comment on how they act/work internally, although I am sure it is fine. And no, they don't take to Twitter to call out a member.

He's hurt they said he cancelled the meetings when he just skipped them? Hey, I'm too busy to learn the new rules of my job? Cool buddy, you do you.

Pretty good illustration of what happens when the illusion of communication has happened.

You can’t skip a meeting you never agreed to. The USGA is not a court that can dictate summons to appear.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There's no winners here...

The whole thing started because the USGA was trying to be "hip" and "edgy" on the interwebs with how they responded to JT, and in doing so they came across as super defensive and unprofessional. But, at some point good for them for standing up for themselves and pointing out the steps they have done to speak with JT/be sure the professional game is looked after in creation and implementation of the rules (whether or not you agree with the rules themselves does not matter for this specific debacle).

JT meanwhile just furthered this whole petulant spoiled brat image to commemorate the one year anniversary of having that fan removed from Honda in just about the most arrogant, dismissive way possible. Saying he was "hurt" because he hasn't cancelled any meetings - just indefinitely postponed them - reeks of a bully who finally got hit back, as the Shotgun Start podcast pointed out. Or like a rich kid who is not used to having any consequences for his actions finally being told "no".

If he is speaking out to try to be a leader in the game or even on TOUR, this is not the right way to do that. This weekend was handled equally as unprofessionally by JT as the USGA. The TOUR players are not full-go 24-7; let's not pretend "Tournament Week" at most stops is something it's not. If this was enough of a priority for him he could have found 30 minutes for a call. Then he could have say "I've expressed my displeasure, even had a 1-on-1 call and nothing has changed".

Last thing on JT - he said he just wants to make sure all golfers benefit from rules changes. Which may be an innocent poor choice of words. But rules are not solely devised for players's benefits. To me how he worded his statement comes off again as an entitled kid who thinks every change needs to make things better or easier.

And if his argument is that implementation at the professional level - affecting what? 1,000, 1,500 total players? - is the problem, he is barking up the wrong tree. It is the TOUR and their officials who enforce the rules and could ultimately choose to enact local rules as they'd like. A better use of JT's wrath may have been putting it back on the TOUR that, "you know what - these rules don't work FOR THE PROS - it is time to formally bifurcate." They've been playing a different game than the rest us for a long time, anyways, and trying to tell us it is the same.

May want to read some of the advertising material for the new rules. The major selling point is ease of use and making the game more inviting for new players. Says so right here.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/text/golf-s-modernized-rules-released.html

Jt said it corectly. You may disagree with his opinions on easy etc. but that was the goal and he’s aware of it correctly.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Were there any focus groups used for coming up with the rules changes? If so, where did the come from and how were they engaged? Who was involved in coming up with these new rules? Where any PGA Tour pro's actively engaged or at any capacity for the design of the new rules? I'd really be curious to know some of the back story.

Imagine if JT has gone on twitter and said " the USga is dodging me. We've scheduled 4 meetings in the last 3 weeks and they've no shown all of them. "

JT said:

I more so say things in hopes that the USGA starts communicating with the current players

"Starts communicating"?? Sure sounds like JT is saying exactly that, saying the USGA hasn't communicated with the players, and it needs to start. Then he says "Well, we actually HAVE talked quite a bit this year". I know, I paraphrased, but that was the essence of what he said. I do agree with you, though, its time for all of players and the USGA to take the argument out of the public eye. None of them look good, not Rickie, not Justin, not the USGA. And for Justin specifically, calling all of the rule changes "terrible" really is NOT in the best interests of the game.

Imagine if JT has gone on twitter and said " the USga is dodging me. We've scheduled 4 meetings in the last 3 weeks and they've no shown all of them. "

JT said:

I more so say things in hopes that the USGA starts communicating with the current players

"Starts communicating"?? Sure sounds like JT is saying exactly that, saying the USGA hasn't communicated with the players, and it needs to start. Then he says "Well, we actually HAVE talked quite a bit this year". I know, I paraphrased, but that was the essence of what he said. I do agree with you, though, its time for all of players and the USGA to take the argument out of the public eye. None of them look good, not Rickie, not Justin, not the USGA. And for Justin specifically, calling all of the rule changes "terrible" really is NOT in the best interests of the game.

I hear that Dave. But is it really communication or just a “ hey let’s talk ....errr you shut up and listen “ kind of thing. USga 0-1 with the facts this week. So hard to not lean toward the ideal that they are “situation normal” - lets dictate . That’s not the communication that he’s talking about.

I absolutely agree they ALL look childish at this point. But those those taking word “ hurt “ and running JT over with it are missing the word “all” in our statement.

Example. When your wife is chewing your butt about something and telling you how it’s going to be and you know she’s right ... does that feel like “communication “ ? Lol. Nope. It’s a dictatorship at that point.

That’s my beef. I truly think that the R and A guys could tell you to eat poop and make it sound appetizing. And Davis's crew could serve an aged kobi steak and make it smell bad.

I’d just love to see their attitudes change. And make no mistake. Theirs has to change first. The public will not give respect and hope it changes.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He's hurt they said he cancelled the meetings when he just skipped them? Hey, I'm too busy to learn the new rules of my job? Cool buddy, you do you.

Pretty good illustration of what happens when the illusion of communication has happened.

You can't skip a meeting you never agreed to. The USGA is not a court that can dictate summons to appear.

So an organization that governs the rules of your job sets up a weekly call to answer any queries that you might have, while also having announced these rule changes months ago, and yet you can't find the time to go meet with them, and then you complain about the rules, and lack of communication?

I do this all the time at work. Something changes, can impact 100's of people, guess what I do - I over-communicate through emails, calls, announcements, training videos, etc. Can I make everyone around the world attend? Nope. If they complain about the change do I tell their boss "we had a meeting they didn't show up?" Yep.

You can't skip a meeting you never agreed to. The USGA is not a court that can dictate summons to appear.

So an organization that governs the rules of your job sets up a weekly call to answer any queries that you might have, while also having announced these rule changes months ago, and yet you can't find the time to go meet with them, and then you complain about the rules, and lack of communication?

I do this all the time at work. Something changes, can impact 100's of people, guess what I do - I over-communicate through emails, calls, announcements, training videos, etc. Can I make everyone around the world attend? Nope. If they complain about the change do I tell their boss "we had a meeting they didn't show up?" Yep.

Unless it’s court of law. I own the company. I do it when it suits me. State employees have nothing but time. They can work around me. I’ll be polite and very agreeable unless it conflicts with something important. I see a tournament week as important on this schedule.

As an aside. If it’s a negotiation of any type. Letting one side dictate anything is a mental loss off the bat.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

JT said:

I hear that Dave. But is it really communication or just a " hey let's talk ....errr you shut up and listen " kind of thing. USga 0-1 with the facts this week. So hard to not lean toward the ideal that they are "situation normal" - lets dictate . That's not the communication that he's talking about.

I absolutely agree they ALL look childish at this point. But those those taking word " hurt " and running JT over with it are missing the word "all" in our statement.

You and I don't know the truth of the matter. JT is in damage control mode, certainly surprised that the USGA used HIS platform to push back, and unlikely to have been completely open and honest. He's not going to admit that they had __ conference calls set up on Mondays, when he's just beginning his preparation, and he was having too much fun at dinner on those Monday nights to be bothered to call in. That's certainly ONE of the many possible scenarios. We just don't know the whole truth, neither side is likely to tell us the whole truth, and to draw any conclusions based on what we don't know, based largely on our own preconceived opinions, is probably inappropriate.

Again I'm not on either side here. I think the players are complaining about dumb things sometimes

But the USGA did kind of open the door here to more questions with their immature tweets. Forget just the contrast in what their definition is of "meeting"...it sure seems like they are at least proffesing to care MUCH more about pros opinions on things and I'm not even sure why that's a good thing. It's a completely different game than 99.5% of us play and has been a main concern of people worried they are making rules to primarily serve the optics of the pro game

I know they did a broad survey recently but that was more ball focused. But maybe instead of meetings with the tour they could do more surveys of actual amateurs too

Who else are they talking to? Maybe instead of he said she said about meetings we should be a bit more concerned that a handful of out of touch people (pros and USGA) are making rules that affect all of us.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Maybe so ^. We surely don’t know. But would be hugely damaging if the USga produced a schedule with “ meeting with JT 2/22 11am “ and then a “ no show”. Why would JT set himself up for that ? Essentially out himself ? I heavily lean towards the likely scenario of him telling them “ wait till I have an off week “ and they got angry because he continued to tweet in the meantime and a Pr person decided to blow up .... love to know who’s responsible for that account. Is it a firm or one of the actual leading members ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A bunch of guys went off on the USGA on this rule and how it's interpreted. The players are *issed and with good reason since this is their livelihood and they don't need do deal with this during play.

If a rule's potential application results in this type of chaos, the USGA may need to rethink how it tests rules before rolling them out and screwing up players rounds.

It's not just JT. Even mild mannered Sneds is mad

https://www.golf.com...ation-new-rule/

329e262bc96c8cd264b5ac4dda55f3c4_normal.jpeg

Unbelievable...
Good job simplifying the rules..

@RobertDDamron

100%. I thought @haotong_li ruling was worst I’ve seen in 40 years of golf. I was wrong

Well yeah but how many meetings, conference calls, webinars and box socials has Sneds skipped?

Probably THOUSANDS!!!!!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

A bunch of guys went off on the USGA on this rule and how it's interpreted. The players are *issed and with good reason since this is their livelihood and they don't need do deal with this during play.

If a rule's potential application results in this type of chaos, the USGA may need to rethink how it tests rules before rolling them out and screwing up players rounds.

It's not just JT. Even mild mannered Sneds is mad

https://www.golf.com...ation-new-rule/

It's important to point out that the link you posted was a month ago. Since that time, the PGA Tour rescinded the penalty that Sneds was talking about, and clarified the rule, allowing the players much more leeway to avoid being penalized.

The problem now isn't the rule, or its interpretation, but that the players and caddies are actually required to remember that the rules have changed. Occasionally they screw up. Remember, this rule was largely inspired by the behavior of LPGA players and caddies. So far, we haven't heard of a single LPGA player being penalized. They've managed to adapt, should we expect less from the men?

Well yeah but how many meetings, conference calls, webinars and box socials has Sneds skipped?

Probably THOUSANDS!!!!!

I almost fell off my chair Jeff hilarious !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

USGA Twitter guy has more work....

https://www.golf.com...our-golf-rules/

‘New rules are garbage’: Pro calls for PGA Tour to make its own rules

On Sunday, Kizzire attacked the caddie-alignment rule change in a tweet, writing, “Caddie accidentally being behind you at some point during your setup resulting in a penalty is asinine.”

In response, Landry tweeted that the PGA Tour is a “players tour” and that Tour pros should “fight to have our own rules and only follow the USGA and R&A once a year at our US Open and the Open.”