2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

1st Bogey Free Round! Who else?

dpb5031

That’s awesome! I also just got really excited there was someplace to play in NJ but i see you moved ha! That’s great too!

I’ve had a couple 69’s and one career was a 68, but no bogey free’s. That’s special!

Yep...moved early December from Jersey to Jupiter, FL. So far so good!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I asked all the guys I play with to pick from

(a) Level par with 5 birdies and 5 bogies

(b) 18 pars.

They all chose (a). I'd prefer (b) very day of the week. And, no, I've never done it.

How 'bout:

C. 5 birdies no bogies

?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the OP on the bogey free round, and to your daughter’s success. She has a great swing!

I’m about 5 years behind you (I’m 46) but we have a roughly similar story. I didn’t start golf until I was 24, and have quit a few times in between and have had 3 knee surgeries that killed 3 seasons for me as well. I was about as bad as you can be when I started, and oddly about 10 years ago when I picked it back up again I was probably worse than when I started. That said, through some instruction and hard work I’ve gotten to an 8. I feel really close to bettering that. I sent my latest swing video to my pro and he couldn’t find anything wrong with it, although I was hitting it really poorly that day. He suggested tempo and grip pressure.

Anyway, I’d love some tips on avoiding the bogeys or worse. I always say that is what I’m going to do, and I feel like I play conservatively, but doubles and triples kill me. I just shot 79 a few weeks ago with a triple and two doubles, for example. I try to avoid hitting at targets with trouble nearby, and try to shape shots according to the “play” for that hole, but I’ll just sometimes hit really poor shots and then end up with a triple. I had my first snowman in a loooooong time last week...it was one error after the other. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Congrats to the OP on the bogey free round, and to your daughter's success. She has a great swing!

I'm about 5 years behind you (I'm 46) but we have a roughly similar story. I didn't start golf until I was 24, and have quit a few times in between and have had 3 knee surgeries that killed 3 seasons for me as well. I was about as bad as you can be when I started, and oddly about 10 years ago when I picked it back up again I was probably worse than when I started. That said, through some instruction and hard work I've gotten to an 8. I feel really close to bettering that. I sent my latest swing video to my pro and he couldn't find anything wrong with it, although I was hitting it really poorly that day. He suggested tempo and grip pressure.

Anyway, I'd love some tips on avoiding the bogeys or worse. I always say that is what I'm going to do, and I feel like I play conservatively, but doubles and triples kill me. I just shot 79 a few weeks ago with a triple and two doubles, for example. I try to avoid hitting at targets with trouble nearby, and try to shape shots according to the "play" for that hole, but I'll just sometimes hit really poor shots and then end up with a triple. I had my first snowman in a loooooong time last week...it was one error after the other. Thanks in advance for any tips!

So I think the key is to remain aggressive in your mindset in terms of continuing to take it lower, but to be more tactically aggressive in your on-course approach. The easiest way to start making bogies is to start trying to not make bogies. You've got to just visualize good golf shots and keep trying to take it lower, but without taking on unnecessary risks/low percentage gambles. I get far better outcomes when I'm trying to hit a shot versus trying to "not" hit a shot...lol...if that makes any sense? Aggressive swings with full conviction to smart and (relatively) conservative targets works best for me.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have done it before, but the way I have been playing the last 9 months it seems like it will never happen again. In the last year, I have gone from a +1.2 to a 3.2, unfortunately everything has gotten worse.

I drive the ball worse

I hit irons worse

I pitch worse

I chip worse

I putt worse

I think worse

Ultimately, I am in a funk. I am working on my thinking, and just to placate myself I am getting all new to me clubs.

Driver is here, 3 wood shaft is on the way for a new head. New irons on the way. New putter is here. Now I have to decide on new wedges. I even bought new shoes for once it dries up some in Atlanta. Complete reboot of the game for this year. It can't get any worse. I haven't played a round without at least a double bogey in the last 10 rounds.

Wow writing the double bogey thing, it really sounds bad. I am currently the GolfWRX version of Smylie Kaufman.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Did it a couople of years ago, coupled with three birdies for a 69. I have another 69 and a 70 from the back tees as my three best scores ever but the bogey free 69 stands out of course.

Played perfect golf holes 1-8 but then had to scramble. Got up and down from 80 yards on 10, sank a 25 foot par putt on 10, was in a green bunker on 11 and holed an 8 foot par putt that didn't deserve to go in and had another badly struck par putt tumble into the hole on 12. Then it was smooth sailing again on 13-18. Just missed the 68 on the last green. A day to remember.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Never a bogey free round but I've come close a few times. I was 16 when I first shot under par (17 years ago) and had a nett 59 off a 10 handicap. I had 4 birdies, eagled the last hole and 3 bogeys thrown in the mix. The old members were less than impressed that a junior entered their competition and came in with a 59 nett.

My best round was +6 at Royal Birkdale. May not be close to par but given the prestige of the Open venue course it was certainly the hardest to achieve.

Only once and it was only for a 9 hole after work league. 2 birdies, no bogies, 34. I even remember needing a 6 to 8 footer on the last hole to make it happen. This was at least 16 years ago and I haven't come close since. Although I did just have my best 18 hole round ever last week after not touching a club for 6 weeks due to the lousy weather. 81 with my first eagle in over 25 years. Only 3 doubles on that round. To think if I could have turned one of those doubles into a par, I would have broken 80 for the first time ever. My goal this year is to try and play rounds double-free.

Only once and it was only for a 9 hole after work league. 2 birdies, no bogies, 34. I even remember needing a 6 to 8 footer on the last hole to make it happen. This was at least 16 years ago and I haven't come close since. Although I did just have my best 18 hole round ever last week after not touching a club for 6 weeks due to the lousy weather. 81 with my first eagle in over 25 years. Only 3 doubles on that round. To think if I could have turned one of those doubles into a par, I would have broken 80 for the first time ever. My goal this year is to try and play rounds double-free.

Bet you wanted to finish that 9 hole round? ?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Congrats to the OP on the bogey free round, and to your daughter's success. She has a great swing!

I'm about 5 years behind you (I'm 46) but we have a roughly similar story. I didn't start golf until I was 24, and have quit a few times in between and have had 3 knee surgeries that killed 3 seasons for me as well. I was about as bad as you can be when I started, and oddly about 10 years ago when I picked it back up again I was probably worse than when I started. That said, through some instruction and hard work I've gotten to an 8. I feel really close to bettering that. I sent my latest swing video to my pro and he couldn't find anything wrong with it, although I was hitting it really poorly that day. He suggested tempo and grip pressure.

Anyway, I'd love some tips on avoiding the bogeys or worse. I always say that is what I'm going to do, and I feel like I play conservatively, but doubles and triples kill me. I just shot 79 a few weeks ago with a triple and two doubles, for example. I try to avoid hitting at targets with trouble nearby, and try to shape shots according to the "play" for that hole, but I'll just sometimes hit really poor shots and then end up with a triple. I had my first snowman in a loooooong time last week...it was one error after the other. Thanks in advance for any tips!

So I think the key is to remain aggressive in your mindset in terms of continuing to take it lower, but to be more tactically aggressive in your on-course approach. The easiest way to start making bogies is to start trying to not make bogies. You've got to just visualize good golf shots and keep trying to take it lower, but without taking on unnecessary risks/low percentage gambles. I get far better outcomes when I'm trying to hit a shot versus trying to "not" hit a shot...lol...if that makes any sense? Aggressive swings with full conviction to smart and (relatively) conservative targets works best for me.

Thanks for the advice.

I apparently need some “mental game” help. I decided to try this mentality out a bit the last time I got out. Or better put, I walked onto the first tee deciding that this was a “mental game” practice round. I didn’t have time for 18...just figured I would walk as many as I could until it got dark.

Anyway, it started poorly and got worse as the round went along. I played 11 holes and was 21 over, including a 12 on a par 5. I didn’t have a single par (but to be fair, on the hole just after the 12, I had a good look at birdie, just missed, and missed the par putt on purpose just to add to the ridiculousness of it all).

My last couple of times out haven’t been good, so I didn’t expect much. My ballstriking has been terrible. But I thought that a focus on mental game strategies might negate some of the poor ballstriking, or at the very least would allow me to play around it.

I took conservative lines and targets, and rarely played any full shots because I didn’t trust my swing. It didn’t help any, although I didn’t have any penalty strokes until the par 5, and hadn’t lost a single ball until losing 4 on that hole.

I’m somewhat convinced that a better mental game approach is the key to my next jump in improvement, but boy do I suck at that part of the game apparently. Or, it could be that no amount of mental game performance can overcome poor ballstriking...

The par 5 is probably a good “teaching moment “. I had just come off a pretty good hole and actually felt mildly confident for the first time in the round. I made a good decision on the tee about what shot to play but just hit a crappy shot. I reteed and hit a decent shot, hit probably my best shot of the day on my 4th shot, and left myself 95 yards to a challenging pin. I decided to play well right of the hole to avoid the water on the left and front of the pin, but try to use the contours of the green to feed the ball back to the pin. I kinda slice/chunked it into the water. Threw another ball down and aimed well right and chunked it into the water. Finally just bumped one up to the front of the green and left myself about an 80 foot putt and just putted out with my wedge and 3 putted. I would argue that I played the right shot every time up until I lost any concern when I hit the green in 9 and 3 putted. So maybe a better mental game would have turned that 12 into an 11. But I guess this is just a microcosm of my struggle with grasping a better mental game...I’m not convinced that a better mental approach could have avoided the disaster. Sometimes they just happen...I think ?

Congrats! Have never done it. Have had rounds with no bogeys but a double!

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Congrats! Have never done it. Have had rounds with no bogeys but a double!

Ha...yea, I know how that one feels...lol. I've done it several times. Started one round at my previous home course with 4 birdies in a row, doubled the 5th, and then the rest pars and one more birdie ?!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Shot 69 on a course in Boynton that is now closed.....my friend wasn't having a great round and asked what I shot.....I responded bogey free 69! The amazed look on his face was priceless....

Really? He questioned me.....I didn't see you doing special.... I then asked him if he saw me in any trouble.....he said out loud " that was a boring round" ....I could only smile

Well, I did it again this past Friday. Hit 15 greens, never sniffed a bogey, but burned edges all day for a 2 under 70. ?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I can only think of two bogey-free rounds I've ever shot. There may be others, but they don't spring to mind, so maybe not. The first was the first time ever breaking 70- shot 68, 4 birdies, no bogeys. The only other one I can think of was another 68, when I inexplicably had 34 putts. I was a ballstriking machine that day, but made nothing - It was a par 71 course, and the 3 birdies I made were all par 5's where I reached in two and two-putted.

• Like 1

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

I've only done it once. And it was in rather spectacular fashion, if I may say so. 0 bogeys en route to my lowest round ever (by 4 shots). I never hit the ball more pure and I never had anything resembling a knee knocker for par. It was just the easiest round I've ever had. I wish they were all like that!

Congrats, OP!

• Like 1

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego