M3 vs M4 Fairway...either easier to launch?

MelloYello ·  
MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3771WRX Points: 982Handicap: 8Posts: 3,771 Titanium Tees
I purchased a 170 M3 awhile back to match my driver but it's been a little harder to elevate than I'd hoped even in the 190 setting. Sometimes I hit it wonderfully high but I'm pretty inconsistent with it and it will come out lower-than-expected quite often.

Since the resale on these M3 & M4 fairways puts them all under $150 I thought I might just purchase an M4 5w if indeed it's noticeably easier to launch. I'd actually prefer a deeper face so as to get my launch more consistent. The M3 seems a little shallow and I think that's why my launch fluctuates so much. I'm looking for a 5w I can bash hard off the tee when I need to find a fairway.

Also curious if there's any difference in launch between the M4 and the M4 Tour. I know I can get a good deal on an 180 M4 Tour right down the road.

Thoughts?
Posted:
Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
Fairway: Aeroburner 3w HL
Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (22)
Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Putter: Newport 2 Select

Comments

• 76mpg76mpg Members  352WRX Points: 100Posts: 352 Greens
    I hit all of the fairway woods you mention last year. The M4 (to me) is easier to elevate and launches higher than the M3. The M4 Tour is probably not what you are looking for if you aren't launching the M3 high enough, I found that pretty low off the ground as well. It may work fine for you off the tee, but that probably isnt the first consideration for a 5 wood. FWIW.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX  3578WRX Points: 160Posts: 3,578 ClubWRX
    If you can't launch a 17* fairway wood adjusted to 19*, it's most likely not the clubs fault.
    Posted:
    Taylormade SIM Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Taylormade '16 M2 Deep Face 16.5* w/ KK DC XT 70TX
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Taylormade MG2 50/54/58 w/ DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Vessel x Nike Bag
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3771WRX Points: 982Handicap: 8Posts: 3,771 Titanium Tees
    76mpg wrote:

I hit all of the fairway woods you mention last year. The M4 (to me) is easier to elevate and launches higher than the M3. The M4 Tour is probably not what you are looking for if you aren't launching the M3 high enough, I found that pretty low off the ground as well. It may work fine for you off the tee, but that probably isnt the first consideration for a 5 wood. FWIW.

Yeah, the 4w I have came stock at 43.25" (same as the 3w model). Props to anyone who can consistently hit a club that long. The last 5w I had was cut down to around about 41.5" I believe and I was very confident and quite effective with that.

So naturally, I've been thinking about trimming this 4w down to around 42" to make it easier to hit but I'm also a little concerned that I'd simply do better with a deeper-faced club...there are some compelling options including the Rocketballsz 5w and the Xhot 5deep, for instance.

I just wasn't sure if the M4 models fit in that same category. None of those look to be much more than $100 now so instead of cutting this M3 down I might just swap models altogether.
    Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: Aeroburner 3w HL
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (22)
    Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members  198WRX Points: 94Handicap: 7Posts: 198 Fairways
    MelloYello wrote:

76mpg wrote:

Yeah, the 4w I have came stock at 43.25" (same as the 3w model). Props to anyone who can consistently hit a club that long. The last 5w I had was cut down to around about 41.5" I believe and I was very confident and quite effective with that.

So naturally, I've been thinking about trimming this 4w down to around 42" to make it easier to hit but I'm also a little concerned that I'd simply do better with a deeper-faced club...there are some compelling options including the Rocketballsz 5w and the Xhot 5deep, for instance.

I just wasn't sure if the M4 models fit in that same category. None of those look to be much more than $100 now so instead of cutting this M3 down I might just swap models altogether.
    I

I'm in a similar boat as you. Picked up a new M3 5 wood with tensi blue for $85. It was too good to pass up even if i just end up selling it new, but I really want to try it in a launch monitor first. I haven't heard a lot of rave reviews about the M3 fairways with the exception of Tiger still bagging one. I have a 917 f2 for a 3 wood and kind of hate to deviate from a fairway wood I already like, probably should have gotten a 917 f2 5 wood. The reviews I keep reading on the older Cobra king f6 baffler fairway woods are nothing short of gushing. Not to mention they are adjustable and come stock at 41 1/2" ....I believe? You wont have to mess with swing weights getting messed up cutting shafts. So now I have to decide if I'm selling the m3 as new and getting possibly a used 5 wood and hybrid for the same money or giving the m3 a go which means I have to sell it as used......decisions decisions. Being an equipment junky is very stressful.
    Posted:
  • nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members  198WRX Points: 94Handicap: 7Posts: 198 Fairways
    76mpg wrote:

I'm not sure how many different fairways you tried out but was the M4 the best you hit ?
    Posted:
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members  2150WRX Points: 472Posts: 2,150 Platinum Tees
    MellowYello,

If you're talking about the original lime-green trim RBZ fairway wood, be careful. The stock shaft was only 45 grams in weight. I wasted a season with the 3W.H and 5W.H, and every other shot was a hard left miss. If it's the lime green original, try for a tour head and-or shaft.

If it's an RBZ Stage 2 (orange trim), a much better club with heavier shaft. I have the Stage-2 3W.H (17*) in my backup bag. And, a shorter shaft can help on FW control. If you don't trim the shaft, at least choke down a half inch when you hit it off the fairway.
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.