2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Sung Hyun Park - WITB

Her bag is definitely setup for someone with good clubhead speed. While a lot of clubfitters will say that shafts are mostly feel and weight (not flex) is the most important factor, it is still a bit surprising to see her playing NS Pro 950 R-flex irons given how fast she swings. I'd guess that even her driver shaft fees quite soft, given it is the 50 gram version (torque rating is much higher than other tip stiff designs).

http://www.golfwrx.com/547932/sung-hyun-parks-winning-witb-hsbc-womens-championship/

Driver: TaylorMade M5 (9 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 5 S

Fairway: TaylorMade M6 (15 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 6 S

Rescue: TaylorMade M3 (17 degrees), Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 75 S

Irons: TaylorMade P790 (4), TaylorMade P760 (5-PW), Shafts: Nippon NS Pro 950 R

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (50, 54, 58 degrees), Shafts: Nippon NS Modus 105 S

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X (34 inches)

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x (No. 9)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's possible that she hard-stepped the iron shafts. The NS Pro 950's are very high launching. I played them in regular for years. 'Good if one has a smooth transition, which she seems to have, even though she's swinging hard. Heck, doesn't Jim Furyk play R flex?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

It's possible they are hard-stepped (like Furyk's). At the end of the day, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as she's hitting the ball well. But I thought it was an interesting observation nonetheless given her speed and that shaft's profile.

Most mid-handicap amateurs seem to be the other way - pick the stiffest shaft you can load on your hardest/best swings and assume that will happen on every swing (even though it doesn't).

That's why I enjoy the women's game. I learn a ton. 'Everything from tempo to course management to equipment.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

It's possible they are hard-stepped (like Furyk's). At the end of the day, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as she's hitting the ball well. But I thought it was an interesting observation nonetheless given her speed and that shaft's profile.

Most mid-handicap amateurs seem to be the other way - pick the stiffest shaft you can load on your hardest/best swings and assume that will happen on every swing (even though it doesn't).

That's my strategy. I'm an idiot!

Thanks for the info regarding hard-stepping - never heard of this before, so "ye olde gügle" provided the necessary info. Interesting concept.

Soft stepping is the opposite process, resulting in less flex. Basically, one uses the shaft for the next iron. For example, to soft step a 9 iron, one would use the 8 iron shaft. The 8 iron would use the 7 iron shaft, etc. A hard stepped 9 iron would use the PW shaft.

Hard stepping makes the least sense (to me).

Many shafts (eg the popular KBS Tour) sets still have 9-iron/wedge shaft as the PW, GW shafts.

The only reason I can think of them doing it is to sell some specialty wedge shafts...

In hard stepping, you’ll not only put that shaft in the wedges and 9-iron but also 8-iron and possibly 7-iron if hard stepping x2.

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

Hard stepping makes the least sense (to me).

Many shafts (eg the popular KBS Tour) sets still have 9-iron/wedge shaft as the PW, GW shafts.

The only reason I can think of them doing it is to sell some specialty wedge shafts...

In hard stepping, you'll not only put that shaft in the wedges and 9-iron but also 8-iron and possibly 7-iron if hard stepping x2.

I'm not a club builder, but generally I agree (i.e. soft stepping (even 2x) is slightly better, as it preserves the flex progression in the shorter clubs).

I guess reasons why it may not matter much:

a) TT DG has the same 9-iron / PW shaft and no one really complains about these shafts being the same in a straight-in set.

b) The PW/GW are likely used for some less than full shots. If the clubhead weight/swing weight in these clubs is slightly higher it may make these shafts play slightly softer (not a bad thing). I can see how you still have issues with the 9-iron though.

c) 95% of golfers probably couldn't tell the difference of the same shaft being in the 8-iron - GW if you didn't tell them (or let them look at the step pattern).

My two thoughts on why she has R flex irons shafts in the 790 and 760. They are fairly low spinning, so she plays Rs to get an optimized launch-spin combination. Even on good hits with a lot of club head speed they pull spin off, some of the big hitters on youtube have issues with these irons getting really low spin from rough, so the extra launch and slight extra spin will help her keep the set playable from the rough and other not so great lies.

She ends up switching to 105 S in her wedges, and they dont have the low spin characteristics for the 790/760s. I think its an optimization/playability thing.

My two thoughts on why she has R flex irons shafts in the 790 and 760. They are fairly low spinning, so she plays Rs to get an optimized launch-spin combination. Even on good hits with a lot of club head speed they pull spin off, some of the big hitters on youtube have issues with these irons getting really low spin from rough, so the extra launch and slight extra spin will help her keep the set playable from the rough and other not so great lies.

She ends up switching to 105 S in her wedges, and they dont have the low spin characteristics for the 790/760s. I think its an optimization/playability thing.

It's an interesting observation - I never thought about how the shaft was matching up with the vastly different heads that are out there these days.

The weight progression in the Modus 105 S seemed "normal" vs the 950s. The stiffer flex is a bit contradictory vs. what is "recommended" these days. However, a while back I believe many people used to recommend a stiffer wedge shaft, as control was key. But then Titleist / Vokey started pushing the S200 option (unclear if that's best or what suited business economics of buying all the S300 rejects from TT), and now either the same shaft or some combination of heavier / softer is what's perceived as best.

Honestly, it seems like whatever shaft is in a SW or LW (i.e. wedge used for mostly less than full swings) is all feel relative to your iron shafts. For example, I think Koepka is playing X100 / S400. If I followed the same logic I would be playing R Flex / Senior Flex. But to make a LW go 75 yards we are both swinging the club at roughly the same speed - it just happens to be a full swing for me and a 1/2 flick for him. My point being I'm not sure if the force on the shaft is that different compared to the difference is flexes. In contrast, when we each swing a 6-iron there is a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

> @agolf1 said:

> Her bag is definitely setup for someone with good clubhead speed. While a lot of clubfitters will say that shafts are mostly feel and weight (not flex) is the most important factor, it is still a bit surprising to see her playing NS Pro 950 R-flex irons given how fast she swings. I'd guess that even her driver shaft fees quite soft, given it is the 50 gram version (torque rating is much higher than other tip stiff designs).

>

>

>

> http://www.golfwrx.com/547932/sung-hyun-parks-winning-witb-hsbc-womens-championship/

>

>

>

> Driver: TaylorMade M5 (9 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 5 S

>

> Fairway: TaylorMade M6 (15 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 6 S

>

> Rescue: TaylorMade M3 (17 degrees), Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 75 S

>

> Irons: TaylorMade P790 (4), TaylorMade P760 (5-PW), Shafts: Nippon NS Pro 950 R

>

> Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (50, 54, 58 degrees), Shafts: Nippon NS Modus 105 S

>

> Putter: TaylorMade Spider X (34 inches)

>

> Ball: TaylorMade TP5x (No. 9)

Are you surprised at the weight or flex? Given her swing speed... do you know what it is?

> @juniorgolf18 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > Her bag is definitely setup for someone with good clubhead speed. While a lot of clubfitters will say that shafts are mostly feel and weight (not flex) is the most important factor, it is still a bit surprising to see her playing NS Pro 950 R-flex irons given how fast she swings. I'd guess that even her driver shaft fees quite soft, given it is the 50 gram version (torque rating is much higher than other tip stiff designs).

> >

> >

> >

> > http://www.golfwrx.com/547932/sung-hyun-parks-winning-witb-hsbc-womens-championship/

> >

> >

> >

> > Driver: TaylorMade M5 (9 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 5 S

> >

> > Fairway: TaylorMade M6 (15 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 6 S

> >

> > Rescue: TaylorMade M3 (17 degrees), Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 75 S

> >

> > Irons: TaylorMade P790 (4), TaylorMade P760 (5-PW), Shafts: Nippon NS Pro 950 R

> >

> > Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (50, 54, 58 degrees), Shafts: Nippon NS Modus 105 S

> >

> > Putter: TaylorMade Spider X (34 inches)

> >

> > Ball: TaylorMade TP5x (No. 9)

>

> Are you surprised at the weight or flex? Given her swing speed... do you know what it is?

A little bit of both. In some ways, these two factors are doing the same thing with regards to how the shaft plays. The R or S flex designation only really means much when comparing the flex of the same model shaft.

My guess is her driver swing is in the low 100s (mph). I think I've seen ballspeeds for her in the 150s, implying a clubhead speed of a 100 mph and change.

Swing speed / shaft flex is probably over-hyped / analyzed on forums like this. I.e. people may be too worried about what swing speed / flex they have vs. just going by what feels good and what the ballflight looks like. I have noticed that a lot of LPGA players play sub-100 gram R-flex iron shafts. From just a swing speed perspective, I think this is probably a softer shaft than what a lot of male amateurs play that hit the ball similar (or shorter) distances. Of course, a lot of the women may also have a smoother tempo, which impacts how the shaft feels too.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @juniorgolf18 said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > Her bag is definitely setup for someone with good clubhead speed. While a lot of clubfitters will say that shafts are mostly feel and weight (not flex) is the most important factor, it is still a bit surprising to see her playing NS Pro 950 R-flex irons given how fast she swings. I'd guess that even her driver shaft fees quite soft, given it is the 50 gram version (torque rating is much higher than other tip stiff designs).

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > http://www.golfwrx.com/547932/sung-hyun-parks-winning-witb-hsbc-womens-championship/

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Driver: TaylorMade M5 (9 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 5 S

> > >

> > > Fairway: TaylorMade M6 (15 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 6 S

> > >

> > > Rescue: TaylorMade M3 (17 degrees), Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 75 S

> > >

> > > Irons: TaylorMade P790 (4), TaylorMade P760 (5-PW), Shafts: Nippon NS Pro 950 R

> > >

> > > Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (50, 54, 58 degrees), Shafts: Nippon NS Modus 105 S

> > >

> > > Putter: TaylorMade Spider X (34 inches)

> > >

> > > Ball: TaylorMade TP5x (No. 9)

> >

> > Are you surprised at the weight or flex? Given her swing speed... do you know what it is?

>

> A little bit of both. In some ways, these two factors are doing the same thing with regards to how the shaft plays. The R or S flex designation only really means much when comparing the flex of the same model shaft.

>

> My guess is her driver swing is in the low 100s (mph). I think I've seen ballspeeds for her in the 150s, implying a clubhead speed of a 100 mph and change.

>

> Swing speed / shaft flex is probably over-hyped / analyzed on forums like this. I.e. people may be too worried about what swing speed / flex they have vs. just going by what feels good and what the ballflight looks like. I have noticed that a lot of LPGA players play sub-100 gram R-flex iron shafts. From just a swing speed perspective, I think this is probably a softer shaft than what a lot of male amateurs play that hit the ball similar (or shorter) distances. Of course, a lot of the women may also have a smoother tempo, which impacts how the shaft feels too.

If she is that speed she is cranking it. LPGA average is 94-95.

I've always seen that if for ex, you are in a say, 85g stiff you can go 95 reg and feel stays close or hard to tell difference. Same goes other way, if you're in an 85 reg and feel a little loose, you can go 95 reg and keep dispersion tight and feel pretty close vs going 85 stiff...

These are the exact shafts we are looking to go with in irons - ns pro 95's. Been in the 750GH's.

I

> @juniorgolf18 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @juniorgolf18 said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > Her bag is definitely setup for someone with good clubhead speed. While a lot of clubfitters will say that shafts are mostly feel and weight (not flex) is the most important factor, it is still a bit surprising to see her playing NS Pro 950 R-flex irons given how fast she swings. I'd guess that even her driver shaft fees quite soft, given it is the 50 gram version (torque rating is much higher than other tip stiff designs).

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/547932/sung-hyun-parks-winning-witb-hsbc-womens-championship/

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Driver: TaylorMade M5 (9 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 5 S

> > > >

> > > > Fairway: TaylorMade M6 (15 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 6 S

> > > >

> > > > Rescue: TaylorMade M3 (17 degrees), Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 75 S

> > > >

> > > > Irons: TaylorMade P790 (4), TaylorMade P760 (5-PW), Shafts: Nippon NS Pro 950 R

> > > >

> > > > Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (50, 54, 58 degrees), Shafts: Nippon NS Modus 105 S

> > > >

> > > > Putter: TaylorMade Spider X (34 inches)

> > > >

> > > > Ball: TaylorMade TP5x (No. 9)

> > >

> > > Are you surprised at the weight or flex? Given her swing speed... do you know what it is?

> >

> > A little bit of both. In some ways, these two factors are doing the same thing with regards to how the shaft plays. The R or S flex designation only really means much when comparing the flex of the same model shaft.

> >

> > My guess is her driver swing is in the low 100s (mph). I think I've seen ballspeeds for her in the 150s, implying a clubhead speed of a 100 mph and change.

> >

> > Swing speed / shaft flex is probably over-hyped / analyzed on forums like this. I.e. people may be too worried about what swing speed / flex they have vs. just going by what feels good and what the ballflight looks like. I have noticed that a lot of LPGA players play sub-100 gram R-flex iron shafts. From just a swing speed perspective, I think this is probably a softer shaft than what a lot of male amateurs play that hit the ball similar (or shorter) distances. Of course, a lot of the women may also have a smoother tempo, which impacts how the shaft feels too.

>

> If she is that speed she is cranking it. LPGA average is 94-95.

> I've always seen that if for ex, you are in a say, 85g stiff you can go 95 reg and feel stays close or hard to tell difference. Same goes other way, if you're in an 85 reg and feel a little loose, you can go 95 reg and keep dispersion tight and feel pretty close vs going 85 stiff...

>

> These are the exact shafts we are looking to go with in irons - ns pro 95's. Been in the 750GH's.

> I

>

>

>

>

SHP is definitely one of the longer players on tour (driving distance). I have also heard that she doesn't hit her irons as hard but have never seen any swing speed / ballspeed data.

The NS Pro 950GH is one of the more popular shafts on the LPGA tour (or at least it was a few years ago). What you are saying on weight / flex makes sense (not sure on the exact weight differences though. Only 10 g seems a little lite). Regardless, I think a lot of fitters say that shaft weight is the most important variable. I.e. if you are trying to tighten up the dispersion, you may have the player (believe your daughter based on another thread) get fit for weight first and then flex. For example, maybe get a stronger 750GH or the 850GH. Of course, if she's just outgrown the 750GHs then the heavier shaft may make sense.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @juniorgolf18 said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @juniorgolf18 said:

> > > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > Her bag is definitely setup for someone with good clubhead speed. While a lot of clubfitters will say that shafts are mostly feel and weight (not flex) is the most important factor, it is still a bit surprising to see her playing NS Pro 950 R-flex irons given how fast she swings. I'd guess that even her driver shaft fees quite soft, given it is the 50 gram version (torque rating is much higher than other tip stiff designs).

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/547932/sung-hyun-parks-winning-witb-hsbc-womens-championship/

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Driver: TaylorMade M5 (9 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 5 S

> > > > >

> > > > > Fairway: TaylorMade M6 (15 degrees), Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 6 S

> > > > >

> > > > > Rescue: TaylorMade M3 (17 degrees), Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD HY 75 S

> > > > >

> > > > > Irons: TaylorMade P790 (4), TaylorMade P760 (5-PW), Shafts: Nippon NS Pro 950 R

> > > > >

> > > > > Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (50, 54, 58 degrees), Shafts: Nippon NS Modus 105 S

> > > > >

> > > > > Putter: TaylorMade Spider X (34 inches)

> > > > >

> > > > > Ball: TaylorMade TP5x (No. 9)

> > > >

> > > > Are you surprised at the weight or flex? Given her swing speed... do you know what it is?

> > >

> > > A little bit of both. In some ways, these two factors are doing the same thing with regards to how the shaft plays. The R or S flex designation only really means much when comparing the flex of the same model shaft.

> > >

> > > My guess is her driver swing is in the low 100s (mph). I think I've seen ballspeeds for her in the 150s, implying a clubhead speed of a 100 mph and change.

> > >

> > > Swing speed / shaft flex is probably over-hyped / analyzed on forums like this. I.e. people may be too worried about what swing speed / flex they have vs. just going by what feels good and what the ballflight looks like. I have noticed that a lot of LPGA players play sub-100 gram R-flex iron shafts. From just a swing speed perspective, I think this is probably a softer shaft than what a lot of male amateurs play that hit the ball similar (or shorter) distances. Of course, a lot of the women may also have a smoother tempo, which impacts how the shaft feels too.

> >

> > If she is that speed she is cranking it. LPGA average is 94-95.

> > I've always seen that if for ex, you are in a say, 85g stiff you can go 95 reg and feel stays close or hard to tell difference. Same goes other way, if you're in an 85 reg and feel a little loose, you can go 95 reg and keep dispersion tight and feel pretty close vs going 85 stiff...

> >

> > These are the exact shafts we are looking to go with in irons - ns pro 95's. Been in the 750GH's.

> > I

> >

> >

> >

> >

> SHP is definitely one of the longer players on tour (driving distance). I have also heard that she doesn't hit her irons as hard but have never seen any swing speed / ballspeed data.

>

> The NS Pro 950GH is one of the more popular shafts on the LPGA tour (or at least it was a few years ago). What you are saying on weight / flex makes sense (not sure on the exact weight differences though. Only 10 g seems a little lite). Regardless, I think a lot of fitters say that shaft weight is the most important variable. I.e. if you are trying to tighten up the dispersion, you may have the player (believe your daughter based on another thread) get fit for weight first and then flex. For example, maybe get a stronger 750GH or the 850GH. Of course, if she's just outgrown the 750GHs then the heavier shaft may make sense.

>

Good stuff. Yeah the 750gh was fit 2 years ago and ss has went from 87ish to 95. She has ns 950's in her wedges and loves them. Doesn't feel too heavy. Had her hit a i95 and said felt too heavy. Handed her a 950GH, said felt great. Who knows...? LOL