Ebay Fees, Wow

Janice_rossi

Being a buyer is great. A seller has a big learning curve. Over all, it is what it is. Take it or leave it. Remember Ebay does not need you. It has enough of you. So Boycotting ebay is like saying you wont buy gas because the gas prices are too high.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some things that just dont move on the BST unless you essentially give them away. If its more than 1 to 2 seasons old or a niche item, you will get peanuts for it on here. That is where ebay comes into play. Not only that, anything sold on ebay will typically go higher than something sold here, so it sort of evens out with the 10% hit

I sold a set of irons on eBay for $355 and just paid eBay $38.27 in fees. No wonder know one wants to sell there. 10% is criminal

Not trying to be flippant, but ebay is not doing anything different than what retail or grocery stores do when they mark up merchandise in order to make a profit. And a lot of the time those markups are much, much more than 10%.

To be honest, I dont think 10% is out of line. You are using their website to sell your stuff. All you have to provide is a description and some pictures. Everything else is taken care of, from the web hosting (which is a huge deal that people love to just gloss over as if it doesnt cost anything) to the bidding process to the checkout. And PayPal makes collecting your money a snap.

When I sell anything on ebay, Im not looking to make money, as a poster above said. Im just looking to get some money back for stuff I don't use anymore.

I may be wrong in this line of thinking, but my biggest problem with the eBay fee is what does it do for the seller? What protection does the 10% get us? It’s beuatoful on ebays behalf because there is zero liability for them and they reap the rewards regardless. Although I might be wrong and if I am please say so, but for 10% they need to do something to protect the seller.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Sorry for my unfiltered and perhaps rude opinion, but some of you guys are whining sniveling fools.

10% to eBay is certainly a fair price to pay for the MASSIVE amount of potential customers your ad is exposed to.

BST here is getting to be like Craigslist. A bunch of tightass tire kickers and flippers looking for a giveaway. No matter what the price is it’s never low enough.

Last month I offer the exact slightly rare shaft someone is looking for in pristine untipped condition. His offer is absurd. I counter offer to go down on my price to the lowest on this site and lower than the lowest on eBay, and as low as the lowest it has sold on EBay in the last 6 months by doing a historical “sold search”. And the “buyer” doesn’t even have the basic courtesy to respond to my counter.. It’s freaking disgusting and it happens constantly. This is obviously only the most recent example.

I’m happy to sell on eBay compared to here. List it and forget about it. I rarely even bother to list here anymore unless it is super current and super “hot”.

And to the point of sellers having no footing is not true, here is a story that can bring some hope to us sellers. I Sold a guy a putter not too long ago. I get a freeze on the money in my paypal account after the buyer puts in a dispute for the purchase of my putter. After having the putter for 9 days he sends me a message stating that the condition of the putter does not match my description. Too funny as my pictures are pretty spot on almost Playboy like. So the buyer sends me an ultimatum saying that if I didnt refund most of his money that he would continue with the dispute. I was so pissed as a seller that I called ebay right away wanting to file a fraud case against the buyer. I had my pictures that I had posted as well as the dialogue with the buyer saying how happy he was to receive the putter and cant wait to putt with it. Too funny. Well guess what? Ebay sides with me and says that the freeze on the money in my paypal account will be returned and the buyer was pissed that he did not get the return policy fall in his favor. He proceeds to put a negative review for me and sure enough I call ebay and they wipe that off as well. As a seller, there is some good that happens, but most of the time they will side with the buyer. For me, always protect yourself the best you can.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

And to the point of sellers having no footing is not true, here is a story that can bring some hope to us sellers. I Sold a guy a putter not too long ago. I get a freeze on the money in my paypal account after the buyer puts in a dispute for the purchase of my putter. After having the putter for 9 days he sends me a message stating that the condition of the putter does not match my description. Too funny as my pictures are pretty spot on almost Playboy like. So the buyer sends me an ultimatum saying that if I didnt refund most of his money that he would continue with the dispute. I was so pissed as a seller that I called ebay right away wanting to file a fraud case against the buyer. I had my pictures that I had posted as well as the dialogue with the buyer saying how happy he was to receive the putter and cant wait to putt with it. Too funny. Well guess what? Ebay sides with me and says that the freeze on the money in my paypal account will be returned and the buyer was pissed that he did not get the return policy fall in his favor. He proceeds to put a negative review for me and sure enough I call ebay and they wipe that off as well. As a seller, there is some good that happens, but most of the time they will side with the buyer. For me, always protect yourself the best you can.

That’s a great positive story amongst the many bad tales of eBay. It’s refreshing to see that it happens every once in a while.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

To those kvetching about the eBay fee, I consider 10% a real bargain. As a comparison, Apple collects 30% of all app sales revenue on the App Store, in addition to $99/yr to be an official developer/seller (not to mention Uncle Sam's share). Whine if you must, but eBay is taking care of a lot of your overhead/hosting/headaches for a relatively low cost IMHO.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

I pay $400 to $600 a month in ebay fees. $300 for the store as I have 600 items. It’s a lot but I don’t have to pay for a store front and it’s really the only game in town.

I checked out your site. Interesting collection of stuff. Where do you get it all? Are you a garage sale/estate sale guy? Regular Thrift shop shopper?

And another thing about eBay that makes it worth every cent in fees -- EVERYTHING reasonable sells eventually. "Reasonable" is the key word, both for condition and price, but it's really true. Set fair prices and take offers if you can, and relax. Someone will take your stuff. Last week I sold something that had been on eBay for more than a year. And it's not my livelihood, so I'm content to wait.

Given that Ebay opens you up to a worldwide market of millions I don't think their fees are ridiculous. They have to establish and maintain a worldwide network of servers, network access, staff, etc and make a profit. LI don't sell much stuff but like others I have found the BST and other free online sales avenues difficult to make a sale on but stuff almost always sells on Ebay. Its almost easier just to trade stuff in when a trade in bonus is on rather than selling.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

And another thing about eBay that makes it worth every cent in fees -- EVERYTHING reasonable sells eventually. "Reasonable" is the key word, both for condition and price, but it's really true. Set fair prices and take offers if you can, and relax. Someone will take your stuff. Last week I sold something that had been on eBay for more than a year. And it's not my livelihood, so I'm content to wait.

So true. I had a 25 year old daiwa 2 iron listed on there as a permanently renewing listing. I started at $30 then lowered it a couple bucks every few months. It finally sold 10 months later at $17 plus $12 shipping. I know some people wouldn’t even bother but it Wasn’t doing me any good sitting in the basement. I imagine it made someone happy.

It sounds like a lot of people are disappointed that their "investments" aren't paying the dividends they thought they would.

These are used golf clubs. And the OEMs are putting out more product every year. Ho-ing is an expensive hobby and shouldn't ever be considered a business.

Or, go take the trade in values at your local golf store.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

That’s a great positive story amongst the many bad tales of eBay. It’s refreshing to see that it happens every once in a while.

It happens more than once in a while. I’ve had a few crap buyers try to pull fast ones after a sale. My listings provide ample photos and descriptions. I don’t overrate item conditions and I make sure to provide details and photos of any obvious damage or alterations from stock. Out of maybe 7-8 disputes, I’ve only had eBay find in favor of the buyer once. And, that was the first time it happened, and my listing was not as detailed as I make them now. I considered it a learning experience.

Just remember, you only hear about the horror stories on eBay here, and you are probably not getting all of the relavent details of these transactions either - just the details to swing you over to the person complaining’s side.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Just remember, you only hear about the horror stories on eBay here, and you are probably not getting all of the relavent details of these transactions either - just the details to swing you over to the person complaining’s side.

So true. I said recently in one of these recent similar threads, there are as many deadbeat buyers out there as crooked sellers.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

It sounds like a lot of people are disappointed that their "investments" aren't paying the dividends they thought they would.

These are used golf clubs. And the OEMs are putting out more product every year. Ho-ing is an expensive hobby and shouldn't ever be considered a business.

Or, go take the trade in values at your local golf store.

this!!!!!

took some stuff that didn't move on the bay and traded it in at local store and got $400 in credit and paid a bit more for a new epic flash. First thing I listed on bst was hit with member for 10 years and 0 feedback no thanks! Same guy came back later and lowballed the hell out of me so everywhere has goods and bads

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

What Shipwreck said!

Although probably the real story is llewol007 probaly had sellers remorse and tried to buy it back! Right L?? (Just an inside joke about a set of irons that made its way between us). It really is good that once in a while the right thing does happen.

I prefer not to use ebay more so because of the end of month paypal hit--I wish they would hit my account as I collect the money. Here I get what I get. I have come to the realization that having something that I don't use sitting in my garage provides no value or benefit what so ever so anything I can get for it on BST is a plus.

I have a job. I don't try to make money on golf club transactions. Almost everything you buy depreciates in value. Kind of like gambling only spend what you can afford to lose.

You can pay the ebay fee right away if you go into your ebay account under fees and make a "one time payment" instead of having to wait for the end of the month ebay invoice. The amount get posted right after the sale so you know how much you owe.

What Shipwreck said!

Although probably the real story is llewol007 probaly had sellers remorse and tried to buy it back! Right L?? (Just an inside joke about a set of irons that made its way between us). It really is good that once in a while the right thing does happen.

?? No doubt. Grass is never greener on the other side if you cleaned your clubs once in a while. ?

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Ebay overall is 13% (paypal included as Ebay owns paypal). If it's a good item, i'll sell it here or sometimes ebay. If it's something that doesn't have a ton of value i'll trade it in on the 50% trade in bonus days with Callaway or a local golf galaxy.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Ebay overall is 13% (paypal included as Ebay owns paypal). If it's a good item, i'll sell it here or sometimes ebay. If it's something that doesn't have a ton of value i'll trade it in on the 50% trade in bonus days with Callaway or a local golf galaxy.

I will sell on both because the reach of eBay is just to large not to take advantage of it. If it's something I'm will to count a loss against I will sell it on eBay. I know the club junkies on here are looking for great stuff at a fair price. Doesn't have to be dirt cheap but we know the quality is much better.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

eBay actually does not own PayPal anymore. They split in 2014. They are completely separate entities now. That’s actually why they have recently been trying very hard to move away from PayPal transactions.. Now they want to take some of PayPals fees for themselves.

There was a whole thread on it a month or two ago.

They are starting with encouraging the high volume sellers using perks and then eventually everyone else.

Here’s a brief article on eBay trying to move away from PayPal.

https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16957212/ebay-adyen-paypal-payments-agreement

interesting thanks for the info

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

To those kvetching about the eBay fee, I consider 10% a real bargain. As a comparison, Apple collects 30% of all app sales revenue on the App Store, in addition to $99/yr to be an official developer/seller (not to mention Uncle Sam's share). Whine if you must, but eBay is taking care of a lot of your overhead/hosting/headaches for a relatively low cost IMHO.

I tend to agree. As with everything else, the higher value items subsidize the lower value items. A $5 headcover isn't any more expensive for them to host than a $500 headcover, but if they charged a fixed fee based on their costs that $5 headcover would cost more and not be competitively priced, which reduces the number of listings, transactions, and the amount of traffic to the site.

Paying 50 cents in fees on a $5 item doesn't seem like much because it's pocket change, but paying substantially more in fees for a similar item definitely can feel excessive.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

With my experience selling, I normally can get 15-20% higher sales price on Ebay than anywhere else (including the BST). Therefore, I am willing to suck it up and pay the fees to have more eyes looking at and bidding on my stuff.

It's funny how most people on here claim to hit it 400 yards, need XX stiff shafts, tour only putters, but are all dead broke when it comes to buying things listed on the BST. Found it's not really worth the trouble of listing everything, i'll only put stuff on BST if I have downtime at work.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135