WHAT'S YOUR HIDDEN GEM? Submit your favorite "hidden gem" golf courses (less than $50)

Course Name: Hominy Hill Golf Course

City, State: Colts Neck, NJ

Price Range: $30-45 Residents (Over $50 for Non-Residents)

Course Website: http://www.hominyhill.com / https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com

​Brief Description: For a course that's part of a county park system, its meticulously maintained with fast greens but also provides penalizing rough. It's designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr. and is just a classic beautiful parkland design. There's no "gimmicky" holes and a great course to walk. It's an absolute steal for residents but still worth the price for non-residents. It may not be a hidden gem for golfers in New Jersey, but probably is for anyone outside the state considering its location in the suburbs and away from the most popular tourist areas in the state.

I agree and it is well maintained. I make it a priority to play it every year and I am a non resident! Great track.

I have to disagree with this recent installment of Harvest Hill having the best set of par 5 holes in New York, both public and private. That is a pretty significant statement to make. It certainly is not the best set of par 5 golf holes in this area, at least in my humble opinion. While I do like the golf course, good luck playing in under 5 1/2 hours on a weekend. It just is not happening.

In my opinion, The Highlands of Elgin Golf Course is one of the best public golf courses in the Chicagoland area. It's a great links style course with a decent amount of slope (which is almost impossible to find in Chicago). From the back tees, there are par 4s ranging from 310 yards to 470 (with a 260-270yd forced carry) and par 3s ranging from 140-240. The greens are also very fun as they have a nice amount of undulation and are well maintained. In my experience there, the greens usually run at about a 10 on the stimp.

• Course Name: ColoVista Golf Club
  • City, State: Bastrop, TX
  • Price Range: $25-$50 ($50 being weekend morning)
  • Course Website: http://www.colovista...agolf/index.htm
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):
  • The course is usually in decent to great shape and for the price it is very hard to beat in the greater Austin area. The front nine is a links type of layout, while the back nine provides dramatic elevation changes as the holes wind through pine trees along the Colorado River.

course-front-nine.jpg

ar125460307840748.JPG

• Course Name: The Course at Sewanee
  • City, State: Sewanee, TN
  • Price Range: $41 on weekends
  • Course Website: http://www.thecourseatsewanee.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Renovated by Gil Hanse's Team in 2013. Just a fun course to play. It is on top of Monteagle Mountain and so it stays a little cooler up there than in the valley below. (Guy in pro-shop said about 8* cooler is a good rule of thumb.) It is only nine holes but is worth going around a second time. It is only about twenty minutes from Sweeten's Cove as well. You can play your early nine at Sweeten's then go up the mountain to play the nine at Sewanee to beat the afternoon heat. The view from #3 green is pretty awesome. Very walkable course despite being on a mountain.

Completely agree with this one. It definitely gets overlooked with Sweetens being so close. They are probably the best duo of 9 hole courses in the country.

• Highlands Park
  • Birmingham, AL
  • $30-$50
  • https://www.highlandparkgolf.com/home/
  • Fun course to play in Birmingham. Great views of the city on several holes. Some challenging holes but some easy short par 4's to offset. Great price to get some solid conditions and generally pure rolling bentgrass greens. For the price you will not find a better spot in Bham - especially considering proximity to everything downtown/five points area.

+1 for this one. It can get busy but one of the best values in Birmingham aside from a late twilight tee time at Oxmoor Valley

• Course Name: Lick Creek Golf Course
  • City, State: Pekin, IL
  • Price Range: $18-$30
  • Course Website: http://www.lickcreekgolfcourse.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!)When I think of a hidden gem that I have played, I automatically think of Lick Creek. I was lucky enough to play a few high school tournaments at this course and it is the real deal. Bent grass fairways, a mix of open and tree lined holes, great hole shaping and it was always in good shape when I played it. It has a 3 hole stretch (5-7) that is called "The Devil's Triangle". It is owned and operated by the local park district. Totally unassuming and a great course. I wish it was closer to me

Whenever I make it back home I always want to go play Lick, but my dad never does because it’s so hard for him now. Must be nightmares he had back in HS playing there. I still haven’t played it since they transitioned everything to bent, had to have been 15 years ago.

you folk in the NE and east coast should count your blessings. Here in TX their are hardly any hidden gems. Either $$$ gems, or trashy hidden. Hardly any in between except for a select few.

I do believe me, I travel for work around the country but NE/Mid Atlantic does have some of the best courses. Cheers

In my opinion, The Highlands of Elgin Golf Course is one of the best public golf courses in the Chicagoland area. It's a great links style course with a decent amount of slope (which is almost impossible to find in Chicago). From the back tees, there are par 4s ranging from 310 yards to 470 (with a 260-270yd forced carry) and par 3s ranging from 140-240. The greens are also very fun as they have a nice amount of undulation and are well maintained. In my experience there, the greens usually run at about a 10 on the stimp.

Agree, great course, and reasonable

• 2 weeks later...

• Course Name: Apple Valley Golf Club
  • City, State: Howard, OH
  • Price Range: $29-45 Weekday vs Weekend
  • Course Website: https://www.applevalleygolfcourse.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):
  • The course condition compared to cost is just crazy. Perfect bent fairways and greens. Always in incredible shape, smooth fast greens.

course_3.jpg

course_2.jpg

course_5.jpg

• The course condition compared to cost is just crazy. Perfect bent fairways and greens. Always in incredible shape, smooth fast greens.

course_3.jpg

course_2.jpg

course_5.jpg

I really need to play Apple Valley before I leave the area.

Course Name: Paradise Pointe Golf Course

City, State:Smithville, MO

Price Range:30-51

Course Website:https://paradisepointegolf.com

A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Beautiful 36 hole complex on Smithville Lake roughly 45 minutes north of Kansas City. In pretty good shape as well and a nice practice area to compliment the two courses. I think the Posse is the prettier of the two while the outlaw has the tougher track. The outlaw has a par 3 that makes me lay up from the tips, 255 out to a green surrounded by water on the left and back with a very small bailout to the right that also has water. Wonderful tracks and fairly easy to get to from the airport.

Course Name: Port Fairy Golf Links

City, State: West Coast, Victoria, Australia

Price Range: $49 (Aussie)

Course Website: http://www.portfairygolf.com.au

A true links course about 4 hours from Melbourne. Always in excellent condition. An absolute joy to play any time.

Course Name: Peterborough Golf Club

Price Range: $15(Aussie, from memory) for 9 holes. Pay via an honesty box.

Course Website: no website

A short but fun 9 hole course about 50 minutes from Port Fairy, on the way back to Melbourne, along the famous Great Ocean Road. Small parcel of land with holes played over a hilltop right above the ocean (Bass Straight). No par 5’s & some holes play over a road & some crisscross. Very susceptible to wind.

Unfortunately I don’t know how to post photos. Will do if I ever work out how.

• Like 1

http://www.friedegg....-for-your-buck/

A state by state look at the courses with interesting architecture that cost less than $100.

In addition to these, a cool course in Richmond, VA is Belmont, GC

Belmont Golf Course, located in Henrico County, Virginia, features an 18-hole PGA Championship golf course. In 1949, the course was host to the PGA Championship won by Sam Snead.

http://www.friedegg....belmont-changes

This looks like it could be a really cool site. Hopefully they add many more courses/areas to the site

course_3.jpg

course_2.jpg

course_5.jpg

Holy cow can I see 4 of my balls dunking in that pond in the last picture

A true links course about 4 hours from Melbourne. Always in excellent condition. An absolute joy to play any time.

A short but fun 9 hole course about 50 minutes from Port Fairy, on the way back to Melbourne, along the famous Great Ocean Road. Small parcel of land with holes played over a hilltop right above the ocean (Bass Straight). No par 5’s & some holes play over a road & some crisscross. Very susceptible to wind.

From its website Port Fairy looks beautiful.

From its website Port Fairy looks beautiful.

It sure is. It has a couple of weak holes that are at the bottom of dunes & are a little flat , uninteresting & get a little wet. I have heard a rumour that they are planning changes to 17 & 18, which are the 2 weakest holes.

The rest, especially holes 12 through 16 are a stretch of holes that would fit any true links courses in the world !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mules National Golf Course

Warrensburg, Missouri (30 min. east form KC)

$28-$35

http://www.mulesnational.com

This course is a steal for the price. Great 18 hole layout always in great shape with nice practice area. Neat Island green par 3 to finish on. Also very nice and affordable restaurant in the club house. I think a membership here is very reasonable also. Highly recommend. It's the University of Central Missouri's home course, and I think they have had some donations from Alums to make it so nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Course Name: **Chariot Run**

City, State: Laconia, IN (approximately 35 minutes southwest of downtown Louisville)

Rates from $39-$59 depending on time of year

https://chariotrungolf.com/

Chariot Run is wonderful links layout (with exactly 1 tree-lined hole that actually doesn't seem too out of place!) that is just a short drive from Louisville. This course has bent grass tees, fairways, and greens that stay in great shape any time of the year. Also has a decent amount of water in play, with I believe 5 lakes, as well as a couple creeks. By far the best conditioned course in the greater Louisville area. Course plays 7246 from the tips, and is a true test. Good mix of shorter holes (the 349 yd par-4 13th), as well as some holes that are absolute beast (the 501 yd par-4 9th). A must play for anyone visiting the LOU area.

Tee shot Hole 1

61rdzk37ssp4.jpg

Behind green of Hole 8

pywtr3k5ucjy.jpg

Hole 16 tee shot

yv7egews35uy.jpg

> @podunker said:

> Silo Ridge County Club (Open to Public)

> Bolivar, Missouri ( 30 min. north of Springfield on MO 13)

> $40-$50

> https://www.siloridgecc.com

> If this course was anywhere else it would be expensive to play. Always in great condition and some of the fastest and best greens I have ever putted on. Nice range and practice area.

Silo is a nice course but it's private per their website. Do they allowed unaccompanied guests to play regularly?

> @tgard227 said:

> > @podunker said:

> > Silo Ridge County Club (Open to Public)

> > Bolivar, Missouri ( 30 min. north of Springfield on MO 13)

> > $40-$50

> > https://www.siloridgecc.com

> > If this course was anywhere else it would be expensive to play. Always in great condition and some of the fastest and best greens I have ever putted on. Nice range and practice area.

>

> Silo is a nice course but it's private per their website. Do they allowed unaccompanied guests to play regularly?

It is a private course I guess. But I think anyone can play it. Somebody told me if you lived in Polk County ( the County its in.) You couldn't play it. But I don't know for sure. I play it at least once a year and have never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Course Name: Lake Placid Club

City, State: Lake Placid, NY

Price Range: $35 after 3pm

Course Website: https://lakeplacidcp.com/golf.html

A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Unfortunately I got a new phone and lost the pictures I have of this course but check out their website! This club is located in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains and offers two beautiful 18-hole course and a fun 9-hole course as well. The upper course (Mountain) has undulating terrain with many blind shots and uneven lies, definitely a tough course but the views of the surrounding mountains are amazing. You can see the ski jumps located at the Lake Placid Olympic training grounds and several high peaks throughout the 18 holes. The lower course (Links) is equally as beautiful with a true links feel and it takes you out into the Adirondack wilderness which gives you the opportunity to see a ton of interesting wildlife. If you ever find yourself in the upstate NY area and can get out for some golf, I would endorse these courses over any other if you want to combine the scenery with a great golfing experience.