Hilton Head in a couple weeks - help with options

Hey all,

Will be on a family trip to Hilton Head in a couple weeks.... need some advice on courses, and what's in good condition right now..

There's 4 of us.. myself, my wife, and 2 daughters 18 and 20. I play to a 4 hcp, one daughter plays to a 6, the other about 15, my wife lets say just knocks it around with us for fun and will pick up to keep pace when needed.

Looking to get in 4 rounds... a couple higher end and a couple well conditioned at reasonable prices..

So far I have Harbour Town and Robert Trent Jones at Palmetto Dunes booked... looking for 2 more. Thinking of the following and need some advice which may be the best conditions for the price, trying to keep the round under $80 each.

• Dolphin Head
  • Golden Bear at Indigo Run
  • Oyster Reef
  • Hidden Cypress in Sun City
  • Old South (heard they are losing a few greens right now? Can anyone confirm?)

Any thoughts on these options? Which 2 would you play.. or am I missing some must play options for under $80?

Thanks all for any advice on current conditions!

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of

Crescent Pointe Golf Club

Harbor town was in excellent condition a week ago. Old south...meh

Thanks! I was kind of on the fence about spending the premium for Harbour Town, and just paying Atlantic Dunes instead, but just don't get the opportunity to play a tour stop a few weeks before an event very often, and it should be in prime condition getting ready for an event like the RBC... so feel like I need to bite the bullet and play HT.

Reviews on Old South tend to be hit or miss... some love it, some think it's "meh"... Will add Crescent Pointe to the short list though, thanks!

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

Hey all,

Will be on a family trip to Hilton Head in a couple weeks.... need some advice on courses, and what's in good condition right now..

There's 4 of us.. myself, my wife, and 2 daughters 18 and 20. I play to a 4 hcp, one daughter plays to a 6, the other about 15, my wife lets say just knocks it around with us for fun and will pick up to keep pace when needed.

Looking to get in 4 rounds... a couple higher end and a couple well conditioned at reasonable prices..

So far I have Harbour Town and Robert Trent Jones at Palmetto Dunes booked... looking for 2 more. Thinking of the following and need some advice which may be the best conditions for the price, trying to keep the round under $80 each.

• Dolphin Head
  • Oyster Reef

Any thoughts on these options? Which 2 would you play.. or am I missing some must play options for under $80?

Played Oyster Reef today and it was in pretty decent shape. A lot of rain down here this winter and a big storm last night so I am sure they didn't mow the greens. Running a little slow.

If it were me, I would pay the extra $20 and play Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point in Sea Pines. They have a deal for both courses for $199. I plan to play Old South this week and will post about current conditions. I wouldn't play Sun City. You might want to look at Palmetto Hall. I like both the Cupp and Hills courses. You just can't expect any service whatsoever. They might have a drink cart going but don't count on it. They top dressed the greens last week when i was there so they were a little bare but should be much better in the coming weeks.

Personally I have always enjoyed Old South. Another option is HH National. It always seems to be in good condition.

Hey all,

• Dolphin Head
  • Oyster Reef

Played Oyster Reef today and it was in pretty decent shape. A lot of rain down here this winter and a big storm last night so I am sure they didn't mow the greens. Running a little slow.

If it were me, I would pay the extra $20 and play Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point in Sea Pines. They have a deal for both courses for $199. I plan to play Old South this week and will post about current conditions. I wouldn't play Sun City. You might want to look at Palmetto Hall. I like both the Cupp and Hills courses. You just can't expect any service whatsoever. They might have a drink cart going but don't count on it. They top dressed the greens last week when i was there so they were a little bare but should be much better in the coming weeks.

Personally I have always enjoyed Old South. Another option is HH National. It always seems to be in good condition.

Great info thanks.. would really appreciate your thoughts on conditions of Old South once you have a chance to play there..

Looking today, appears tee times were released to Golf Now for HH National, so now that there are tee times that work with our schedule, I'll be adding that for one of our rounds for just my daughter and I.

So just need to add one more course for the whole family... I would consider Atlantic but after the 11th, rates increase considerably. $175-199 for Atlantic, and we are already playing Harbour Town for $369. Thought about playing Atlantic Dunes instead of HT, but the opportunity to play a tour stop a few weeks before the event sounds like a cool opportunity... just hope we aren't disappointed for the price. We've played some other destination golf places here in WI like Whistling Straits, Black Wolf, Sand Valley.. so if it will be comparable to those, I'll be happy.

Front runners for the last family round sound like:

Dolphin Head - sounds very playable and has a variety of tees

Old South - depending on reports on green conditions

Golden Bear

Considered Crescent Point, but may play a little difficult for the whole family

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I have a love/hate relationship with Harbor Town. The par threes are probably the best collection of par threes on a single course I have ever played. There are great holes and some of the most beige holes I have ever played. You guys are better than I am, but its frustrating to hit it in the fairway and find yourself blocked out. I can't remember a time when I have punched out more than at HT.

I play it probably every 5 years. That seems to be the amount of time it takes before I start thinking "Maybe I should give it another shot". 14, 16 and 17 are worth the price of admission.

My wife is taking off today so I have a solo week of golf. Sea Pines has a special with all three courses for $400. Tempting.

I did not find Crescent Point to be that tough, especially based on your families ability. In 24 years down here, I have never played Indigo Run and most tell me I'm not missing anything. Dolphin Head was very forgettable. Wife and I played it and we can't remember a single hole. Oyster Reef is a better option. CC of HH isn't a bad track. Usually in pretty decent shape.

Ha! I expect to be easily as frustrated at HT, as these will be the first rounds of the year... we haven't played since October, since winter started way to early in WI. Won't be nearly as sharp as HT probably requires, so just the two of us that play tournaments are gonna play Harbour Town. I think if it wasn't for the RBC coming up, we would pass and just play Atlantic... but a bucket list kind of place, worth playing at least once, and will probably be in the best condition with the tour event coming up. We played Dove Mountain in Tuscon last spring as our final challenge... probably the hardest track I've ever played... felt just beat up afterwards, even good shots went unrewarded on the elevated and undulating surfaces.

I think you should grab that deal for all three Sea Pines courses for under $400, that promo ends on the 11th! What a difference a week or so makes on the pricing...

I've read the same on Dolphin and Golden Bear, nothing special, but Dolphin seems to have few complaints at all about course conditions. Crescent Point actually looks like an interesting layout checking out the hole previews.. so if it's not that difficult, could add it... slope/rating just looked steep for the ladies tees..

Didn't realize we could get on Country Club of Hilton Head.. no online booking option, looked like just members. May need to call instead.. thanks for the tip!

So far, we have a pretty good lineup.. Day 1 whole family @ TBD (Old South first choice, fingers crossed on conditions there), Day 2 daughter and I at HH National, Day 3 day trip to visit Savannah, GA, Day 4 whole family @ RTJ at Palmetto Dunes, Day 5 just me and my daughter at Harbour Town..

Now just hoping for good weather.. had 50" of snow in February here, and more on the way this weekend... about to lose my cookies..

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I was told a few weeks ago that either the Atlantic or Heron had slow greens....painfully slow. HT is a great course but 369 is ridiculous. Better look into a stay and play package for those rates.

Already booked a condo elsewhere, so that's the rate unless we play twilight. $369 is steep but a premium for tournament conditions with the RBC in a few weeks afterwards.... that rate actually isn't as bad as you think though. Here in WI peak season for the Straights course at Whistling Straights goes around $425 if I recall.. plus an additional $65 required caddy fee.. plus tip... at least the $369 at Harbour Town includes a fore caddy or walking caddy (obvioulsy larger tip required for walking caddy). Erin Hills $295 + $55 caddy fee... so all relative for the destination golf courses.

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I go to Hilton Head annually and you’re making the right choice playing Harbour Town. It’s pricey but it’ll be in immaculate shape and when you watch the RBC in a few weeks you’ll remember all your shots on those holes. That being said I only play HT every few years now because of the price. Take a look at HH National, it’s always been great. Old South is a true low country course and I really like it, but only if conditions are good. If they’re struggling with the greens, skip it. They were in rough shape late last year.

I was shocked to see some of the prices local courses are charging in April. Both my wife and I have groups coming down in April. While Oyster Reef is a nice track, is it worth $150?? Not in this world or any other! The shocking thing is they are all getting it.

To the original poster, last year we came down and made a road trip north to play the Ocean Course. It was expensive, but it was worth it. So much better than HT and not that much more. We took caddies.

Last thing. Since you are paying the money to play HT, I would seriously consider taking caddies. It's cart path only with a mandatory forecaddie so spend a bit more and walk the course. It's an easy walk and I can't speak for you, but cart path only is awful. The forecaddie helps a lot by giving you yardage so you don't need to carry 3 clubs to your ball, but a caddie would make the experience so much more enjoyable.

I go to Hilton Head annually and you're making the right choice playing Harbour Town. It's pricey but it'll be in immaculate shape and when you watch the RBC in a few weeks you'll remember all your shots on those holes. That being said I only play HT every few years now because of the price. Take a look at HH National, it's always been great. Old South is a true low country course and I really like it, but only if conditions are good. If they're struggling with the greens, skip it. They were in rough shape late last year.

Thanks! You are reading my mind... It's expensive but that round is gonna last a little longer when I get to watch the RBC a few weeks after and watch pro's pull off shots I had no chance at... I think there's value in that too...

Defiately waiting to hear more on current conditions at Old South first... if it's a little iffy I found tee times at Oyster for $75 in late mornings...

HH National just yesterday added all their available tee times to Golf Now for the week we are there, so we will end up there as well... have not heard a bad thing about HH National either.. but again, rates higher now hitting peak season after March 11th everywhere... going at $97... $85 for around noon... but kind of expected that. Late March is spring break everywhere... same happened in Tuscon/Phoenix area last spring break.. after that 2nd week of March, all the rates went up.

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I was shocked to see some of the prices local courses are charging in April. Both my wife and I have groups coming down in April. While Oyster Reef is a nice track, is it worth $150?? Not in this world or any other! The shocking thing is they are all getting it.

To the original poster, last year we came down and made a road trip north to play the Ocean Course. It was expensive, but it was worth it. So much better than HT and not that much more. We took caddies.

Last thing. Since you are paying the money to play HT, I would seriously consider taking caddies. It's cart path only with a mandatory forecaddie so spend a bit more and walk the course. It's an easy walk and I can't speak for you, but cart path only is awful. The forecaddie helps a lot by giving you yardage so you don't need to carry 3 clubs to your ball, but a caddie would make the experience so much more enjoyable.

Yeah, if we could have gone just a week or two earlier, could have taken advantage of MUCH better rates. It's spring break after the 2nd-3rd week of March, and looks like March 11th is the start of peak season rates most if not all places. Not unique to Hilton Head... Same happened to us in Phoenix/Tucson last spring, and appears the same in South Florida too as we were researching other places to visit.

Ocean Course is a fine idea... I think that may be another trip of it's own some year actually or work it into a future Myrtle trip... looks beautiful.

I have the same thoughts on taking a walking caddy rather than forecaddy and cart for the reasons you mentioned. I think suggested tip is $40-50 for fore caddy, $100 for walking caddy... I'm already planning on spending that much, what's another $50 for the walking caddy... :)

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I am headed down to Sea Pines with a group of buddies on Thursday. Staying in villas for three nights and playing Atlantic Dunes on Friday, Harbour Town on Saturday, and Heron Point on Sunday. Free afternoon replays at Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point. Cost was about $650 per person—definitely competitive with what we looked into at Pinehurst and Myrtle Beach, with the bonus of playing HT when it is in peak shape (and I love Harbour Town; it is one of my favorite courses).

I am headed down to Sea Pines with a group of buddies on Thursday. Staying in villas for three nights and playing Atlantic Dunes on Friday, Harbour Town on Saturday, and Heron Point on Sunday. Free afternoon replays at Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point. Cost was about $650 per person—definitely competitive with what we looked into at Pinehurst and Myrtle Beach, with the bonus of playing HT when it is in peak shape (and I love Harbour Town; it is one of my favorite courses).

Dang that's a bargain! Paying far more than that for our family of 4, but we had different requirements... near the beach, heated pool, etc.. so lodging is quite a bit more.. and prices almost double after next week once Spring Break starts... your timing is great! Sounds like a blast for a pretty cheap guys trip. Agree, comparable to what I found for packages in Myrtle for 3-4 day packages when looking. Actually $650/pp is comparable to packages at other places in Hilton Head, but with lesser course options..

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

Hey guys...

Ok, these reviews of RTJ at Palmetto Dunes about horrible conditions and crabgrass everywhere can't be true can they?

https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/15981-robert-trent-jones-golf-course-at-palmetto-dunes-oceanfront-resort#00000169-4e9c-dba1-ad6b-eedce8b90002

Jones course at Palmetto Dunes, as well as all three courses at Palmetto Dunes... are usually well regarded... looks like some disgruntled person created multiple accounts just to bash the course with some blatant lies and poor ratings?

Anyone been on the Jones course at Palmetto Dunes yet this year to see?

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

Hey guys...

Ok, these reviews of RTJ at Palmetto Dunes about horrible conditions and crabgrass everywhere can't be true can they?

https://www.golfadvi...6b-eedce8b90002

Jones course at Palmetto Dunes, as well as all three courses at Palmetto Dunes... are usually well regarded... looks like some disgruntled person created multiple accounts just to bash the course with some blatant lies and poor ratings?

Bitching about wearing sweatpants on the driving range. I think you have your answer right there!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Hey guys...

Bitching about wearing sweatpants on the driving range. I think you have your answer right there!

I literally laughed at that review... what on earth...

But if you look past the first weird 3-5 one or two star reviews from people with usernames like u983948398493 or ljdfaljlfafla... there's a couple from June or July of last year with the same themes like poor tee boxes and crabrass fairways..

Got me wondering if things went downhill there for some reason? I can't imagine them letting the 2nd most popular resort courses on the island go to hell like that...

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

Hey guys...

Those reviews are pretty bad, but like you I do find it hard to believe. Hopefully they've been able to turn it around over the last few months.

The only course I've ever played on HH is Heron Point and I thoroughly enjoyed it for $69. Not sure I would want to pay much more for it...but I'm cheap.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Hey guys...

Those reviews are pretty bad, but like you I do find it hard to believe. Hopefully they've been able to turn it around over the last few months.

The only course I've ever played on HH is Heron Point and I thoroughly enjoyed it for $69. Not sure I would want to pay much more for it...but I'm cheap.

Heh, same.. I'm a pretty frugal golfer, which makes vacation golf painful sometimes in resort areas.. Heron will be $175 I believe when we are visiting.. ugg! Also, even though we live in WI where we can only golf 5-7 months a year, having now traveled a few springs for golf grips, I'm finding we are a little spoiled with the quality of golf we have around the state for cheap. Kohler, Erin Hills, and Sand Valley areas are just as expensive if not more, as other resort or destination golf areas across the country... but there's some real gems outside those areas too.

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I've played Jones twice in the past week and the conditions aren't bad at all. We had some rain before we played it the second time and they weren't able to mow. The greens were really slow but they were fine just 2 days before that. The course is fine.

There are a couple of tee boxes that don't look that great but that has been an issue there forever. Not enough sun on a couple of them.

I've played Jones twice in the past week and the conditions aren't bad at all. We had some rain before we played it the second time and they weren't able to mow. The greens were really slow but they were fine just 2 days before that. The course is fine.

There are a couple of tee boxes that don't look that great but that has been an issue there forever. Not enough sun on a couple of them.

Awesome.. thanks for confirming. I would expect slower conditions after a rain... I would also expect to see some dormant rough, but well maintained fairways and greens this time of year.

I think sometimes people have unrealistic expectations as well, perhaps expecting all courses on the island to be in prime condition year round, and all be as plush as Harbour Town in April...

Glad to hear RTJ hasn't fallen off the wagon... lol... Do you know, are the roughs still pretty dormant at most courses in HH this time of year? and is RTJ worth the $130 greens fee you think? Keep in mind, already playing Harbour Town, HH National, and likely Old South or Oyster

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

Based on what others are getting, $130 isn't unreasonable. It is a solid track. Personally, we always play this track first. Wide fairways and big greens are nice for that first spring round. We have had a place down here in PD for a lot of years. Jones is our "home" course when we are down here. HP at $175 is a bigger push than Jones IMO. The thing is they are getting it!!! The economy is doing well and the local courses are finally getting their share. It really is shocking ow much rates have moved up in the past couple of years.

Rough is still pretty dormant but its pretty amazing how rapidly it changes. April is prime golf down here and the course will change pretty dramatically in the next few weeks.

Based on what others are getting, $130 isn't unreasonable. It is a solid track. Personally, we always play this track first. Wide fairways and big greens are nice for that first spring round. We have had a place down here in PD for a lot of years. Jones is our "home" course when we are down here.

Rough is still pretty dormant but its pretty amazing how rapidly it changes. April is prime golf down here and the course will change pretty dramatically in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I read the Jones course had wider fairways and big greens compared to the other Palmetto Dunes choices, and my wife and older daughter wanted to play something nicer one of the rounds while we are there, but not Harbour Town.. should be a good track for all of us then. With the recent rains and potential warmup the next couple weeks, should have some good conditions when we visit.

Appreciate it..

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I'm heading down in a few weeks also and I'd love to hear your impressions of the RTJ at Palmetto Dunes. I'm in the group that thought Old South was just decent but nothing to write home about. It's nice but there are a couple of funky holes that I didn't enjoy.

I played the Atlantic Dunes course when I was in HHI last time and the par 3s are great but I thought the overall design was very crowded (back tees right next to the last green, etc.). Conditions were very good and I'd like to play it again to give it a chance to change my opinion of it.

Have you looked in to the two clubs at Palmetto Hall? There are two there that I've only seen online but the layouts look pretty decent. I'm sure others can chime in on current conditions, etc.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour