Please recommend an old school driver that can still keep up today!

123457»

Comments

• FiveSixAceFiveSixAce Members  1026WRX Points: 104Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees
    mtgjr wrote:

TM Superfast TP

Still in my bag. This driver was/is an absolute beast.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Hougz79Hougz79 Members  393WRX Points: 106Posts: 393 Greens
    Took my old 983K with a NV 75X in it out once last year. Center strikes it was still long, but like others have mentioned, not very forgiving. Misshits were punished much more noticeably than modern heads.
    Posted:
    Callaway MAVRIK Sub Zero 9*, GD AD-IZ 7X
    Callaway MAVRIK 3w, GD AD-IZ 8X 
    Callaway Apex 19 20*, GD AD-IZ 95S
    Ping i210 4-PW, DG 120 S300
    Callaway MD5 Jaws 50S, 54C, 58C, DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select
  • MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members  77WRX Points: 46Handicap: 10Posts: 77 Fairways
    Cleveland Launcher sl290
    Posted:
  • swing33swing33 Members  258WRX Points: 56Handicap: 9Posts: 258 Greens
    Hougz79 wrote:

Took my old 983K with a NV 75X in it out once last year. Center strikes it was still long, but like others have mentioned, not very forgiving. Misshits were punished much more noticeably than modern heads.
    This is where it's at - I believe there are many old school heads that can keep up if perfectly fit, right AOA, and centered with a ball strike. But when all the stars don't align that's where the advances in technology start to show up.
    Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1056WRX Points: 701Handicap: 12Posts: 1,056 Platinum Tees
    Feast your eyes and cover your ears!
    Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  2842WRX Points: 403Handicap: 8Posts: 2,842 ClubWRX
    Maybe ir has been mentioned but did not catch it. The Callaway Razr X Black driver was a cannon for me. Get ya an 8.5 degree head. Sits 1 degree open and a 57 degree lie angle. I have only passed the 300 yard mark a handful of times in my career and two of them were with this head. Forgiving too. Good looking carbon crown. Real cheap now if you can find one in good shape.

I also have an R7 in the basement and on average I could hit the Razr Black longer. But it most likely was not a fair comparison. The Cally had a decent Grafalloy Red Axis shaft in it — always hit that shaft well — and the TM has one of their more lame stock shafts in it. I never messed around with changing shafts when I gamed clubs in those days, but I did like ithe shape of the R7 because I seem to center that driver easier than others. Might be fun to throw a new affordable shaft in it and take it out for fun. Wonder how it would perform in terms of spin with a Diamana White or Blue or a Grafalloy?
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BookerBooker Members  798WRX Points: 98Posts: 798 Golden Tee
    dmeeksDC wrote:

Maybe ir has been mentioned but did not catch it. The Callaway Razr X Black driver was a cannon for me. Get ya an 8.5 degree head. Sits 1 degree open and a 57 degree lie angle. I have only passed the 300 yard mark a handful of times in my career and two of them were with this head. Forgiving too. Good looking carbon crown. Real cheap now if you can find one in good shape.

I also have an R7 in the basement and on average I could hit the Razr Black longer. But it most likely was not a fair comparison. The Cally had a decent Grafalloy Red Axis shaft in it — always hit that shaft well — and the TM has one of their more lame stock shafts in it. I never messed around with changing shafts when I gamed clubs in those days, but I did like ithe shape of the R7 because I seem to center that driver easier than others. Might be fun to throw a new affordable shaft in it and take it out for fun. Wonder how it would perform in terms of spin with a Diamana White or Blue or a Grafalloy?

I have a r7 425 8.5 shafted with a diamana black prototype (early proto wb) and a few 282 r7 superquads shafted with ahina 60x's. Ballspeed on the 282 is as good as anything current (166-168 at 112-113) and spin rate is lower mid 2000s. R7425tp is a few miles an hour behind on ballspeed but still decent with spin rates in the mid 2000s. I could play either today and not be giving up much. Both heads have great feel and shape. Same kind of numbers with the 905r.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.