kiawah island tips and tricks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer is a little cheaper because of the heat.

Since there's a group of you rent one of the villas/condos on a golf package. Much cheaper than the hotel and a decent deal with the package rate.

I've only ever eaten at the resort restaurants and they've all been good.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

thinking about a boys trip in 2019. Anyone have an suggestions, recommendations? times to go, places to eat (we'll be ubering).

Anyone know of special discounted times to go? A lot of top resorts have discounts you have to ask for to get, kinda like knowing the password to get into the speakeasy.

thanks.

Go in November, it is the best deal in all of golf.. About 300 bucks for 2 rounds of golf and a night in the cabins. You can do both rounds on the Ocean Course or mix it up. I do this every year. It is Nov-Feb. November is the safest, the course is in perfect shape and we had 75 and sunny. The year before I went Christmas week and again was lucky with 70s.

I wouldn't uber. A) it is pricey to get there from the airport B) it can be hours to never happening to get one from the island. You have to have a pass to get on the island, so ubers don't really go into there. I had to pay 10 dollars just for my uber to be allowed on the property to drop me off at the check in center. I didn't know this a few years ago and when it was time to go I was unable to get an uber there was nothing. The resort offered limo service but that was super expensive. My caddie ended up giving me a ride to the airport, got lucky.

Ryder Cup Bar after a round at The Ocean Course. Have a beer and get a burger and watch the sun go down. One of the best spots in the country after 18.

It’s called “Golf and Gourmet”, makes it very reasonable price wise. The island is hibernating at that point pretty much so not a lot of people there. We were there over New Years last year and they had snow and temperatures were under freezing, so there is some risk. But, that is FAR from normal.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Here is my review after just getting back:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1739428-kiawah-in-february/

We had good weather - impossible deal to beat. Right out of the resort is Fresh Fields - A commercial/residential community with tons of restaurants and bars with prices much better than eating on the resort. Completely agree with the comments about driving into Charleston, would be at least an hour - we did this on our way to the airport.

If you're at Kiawah, really the only places to eat are on KIawah, One exception - on the road in to Kiawah is a place called the Fat Hen - excellent food. On island, Cherrywood BBQ & Ale House is good; it's at the Osprey Point clubhouse. Other than the Ocean Course, Osprey is for me the best course. Just off island is Oak Point, a good track as well.

Caddie saved me a few strokes as a few of the holes play tricks on you as you’re standing on the tee. I believe our caddie was named Dillon. Dan Marino is out there a lot as he has a house on the island and Gary Player was through just a few days before us in October. Make sure to save some money for gear...I could have spent $500 in there. We were lucky that it wasn’t too windy the day we played but the wind kicks up when you get to the Oceanside holes (14-18).

If you're at Kiawah, really the only places to eat are on KIawah, One exception - on the road in to Kiawah is a place called the Fat Hen - excellent food. On island, Cherrywood BBQ & Ale House is good; it's at the Osprey Point clubhouse. Other than the Ocean Course, Osprey is for me the best course. Just off island is Oak Point, a good track as well.

The restaurant in the Turtle Point clubhouse is pretty darn good also.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Play the Ocean course more than once and try to get the first tee time of the day; pony up for dinner at the Ocean Room for dinner (in the Sanctuary Hotel) - it’s worth it

There is free onsite shuttle service for people staying at the resort. Also, keep in mind it takes forever (~30 minutes) to actually get to the Ocean Course as it is at the end of the Island.

If you're staying in a condo on the island, I'd advise staying in one that's operated/managed by the resort. That gives you better rates at the courses and access to some stuff that you don't get if you rent directly from an owner through VRBO or one of those sites. We did that one year and I wished after that I'd just gone ahead and booked directly through the Kiawah site even though it was more expensive on the front end.

We do go into Charleston at least once or twice while we're there, though it's true that it definitely takes a good hour door to door. Generally speaking, whatever your plans I would think renting a car is pretty much a must. There is a shuttle for getting around the island, but to me that would be pretty limiting to rely solely on that for transportation during your stay.

Tomasso’s is good, but SC always seems like a BBQ / Low Country French foodie type of place. YMMV.

Tomasso’s is good, but SC always seems like a BBQ / Low Country French foodie type of place. YMMV.

Agreed, but how many nights in a row...lol? If I remember correctly Tomasso's chef adds a little low country flare to some of its Italian & steakhouse specialties.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Agreed, but how many nights in a row...lol? If I remember correctly Tomasso's chef adds a little low country flare to some of its Italian & steakhouse specialties.

How many nights in a row? All I can get ! LOL! Love that food! IMO, all the restaurants are pretty good on KI - Jasmine Porch is worth going and th Ocean Room is cool, watching golfers play in.

If you have private connections, you can normally get an unaccompanied round at either Cassique or River. They are the two second best courses on the island.

I don't find it incredibly difficult to get to Charleston. We normally go in once or twice a week when we are in town. It is a phenomenal food and beverage city. As for on island, The Ocean Room is great, just know if your drinking you will be at $200+ per person for dinner. The Ryder Cup Bar is probably my favorite spot. I am not a huge fan of Cherrywood or Tomasso.

Off Island, Wild Olive is about 20-25 minutes away and one of the best Italian restaurants you can go to. I live in the Northeast and will put it up against Boston, New York and Philly. Fat Hen is basically across the street, excellent Low Country French. Tattooed Moose is a cool bar scene with pretty decent food.

Hege's in Freshfields is great as well.

Hope that helps,

G

If you are playing 3 or more rounds, definitely play the Ocean twice. There is actually not THAT huge of a difference in price, and it is twice the course the others are. Cougar is actually my favorite course other than the Ocean. Skip Oak Point. They keep it in good shape, but it’s definitely the most boring design.

Long Uber Ride out to Kiawah 45 mins or so. May be better of renting a big SUV or something

Not sure your age but may have a better time renting a house on/near King St In Charleston and driving out to Kiawah and play 36. Thats what we always do. Play 2-4 Rounds Ocean and Osprey and then play some cheaper tracks around Charleston like Patriots Point etc.

Hit up Halls Chop House for an unreal steak and service. So Many good restaurants in Charleston

We go down every other year since its such a good trip. Enjoy

cheapest time is winter ... but i'm sure you boys would be better suited to the warmer months, so as not to crowd up the place during my visit ... if you're staying at the resort, there's no going into charleston ... hour away, at best ...

thanks for the info. Whoa, an hour to Charleston is too much of a haul for a night out. is there somewhere else you'd recommend we stay? We'll be unerring the entire time. this is part golf trip, part college reunion so no one should be anywhere near the driver's seat of a car.

Long Uber Ride out to Kiawah 45 mins or so. May be better of renting a big SUV or something

Not sure your age but may have a better time renting a house on/near King St In Charleston and driving out to Kiawah and play 36. Thats what we always do. Play 2-4 Rounds Ocean and Osprey and then play some cheaper tracks around Charleston like Patriots Point etc.

Hit up Halls Chop House for an unreal steak and service. So Many good restaurants in Charleston

thanks for the advice. the last of us just turned 40 but this is part golf trip, part college reunion so no one will be operating heavy machinery. Uber's all the way. Is there a halfway spot you might recommend we stay?

cheapest time is winter ... but i'm sure you boys would be better suited to the warmer months, so as not to crowd up the place during my visit ... if you're staying at the resort, there's no going into charleston ... hour away, at best ...

thanks for the info. Whoa, an hour to Charleston is too much of a haul for a night out. is there somewhere else you'd recommend we stay? We'll be unerring the entire time. this is part golf trip, part college reunion so no one should be anywhere near the driver's seat of a car.

you don't get the deal unless you stay at the resort ... otherwise, it's $400 per round on the ocean course ...

thanks for the advice. the last of us just turned 40 but this is part golf trip, part college reunion so no one will be operating heavy machinery. Uber's all the way. Is there a halfway spot you might recommend we stay?

theres really nothing inbeteeen and Uber’s out there are brutal. 45-50 mins from Charleston. Stay in Charleston. Get a car just to drive out to Kiawah for golf. Don’t need a car if you stay downtown can walk everywhere

Getting a Uber to Kiawah would not be a problem. However, getting a Uber from Kiawah is going to be an issue.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Not sure how long it has been but this isn’t entirely true as there is Freshfields Village which is about 5-10 minutes from Cougar Point. Really good sushi, a Mexican place, pizza, and an upscale French restaurant. We went there most nights (after playing 36) and it worked out well. Depending on where you’re staying in the resort, it may be closer than driving to one of the restaurants, say Osprey point from cougar For example.

I'm pretty sure that if you're staying on property at Kiawah Island resort that they can arrange a van service to shuttle you and your guys into Charleston once or twice. I would call them or check online. There are some awesome restaurants in Charleston. I like Magnolias

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 weeks later...

I have been going to Kiawah, Seabrook, and Charleston for almost 18 years and I see a lot of opinions here that make me wonder which of these posters have actually been to Kiawah or if they have been there recently. There are several good restaurants that are a reasonable distance from the island. The Tattooed Moose is a very good burgers and beer place, my kids even enjoyed it. Crave smokehouse, right off the island has good food and they have a takeout meal package which is plenty for 4 adults. Fisher’s at the Bohicket Marina is good and reasonably priced as well as the Mexican restaurant at the Marina. There is also Gilligan’s but it’s a little farther. The restaurants st Freshfields are overpriced by comparison as is Fat Hen. There is definitely many options within 10 miles of the island. Harris Teeter also has groceries and fresh made foods that are better than you would expect at a grocery store. Plus prices are not jacked up like most tourist destinations.

I also have a different opinion on the golf courses. All of the courses on the island are beautiful. In my opinion, Turtle pint is the best course by far for the money. The oceanside holes have fantastic views and the course is very playable, but still tough. It’s second only to the Ocean Course, private courses included. Stono Ferry is 20 minutes away, MUCH cheaper and a beautiful course. You can play Seabrook, but the cost, unless you are with a member are similar to Turtle Point. You can save some money on the island courses if you rent through the resort, but rentals are about 20% higher than if you use VRBO, and some owners will get you resort privileges, for a fee of course.

I can’t comment on Uber, but I know limp service from the airport has to be registered to come on the island for pickups.

Summer is definitely not cheaper. Come on, it’s one of the top family beaches in the country. November through March are by far the best bargain times but the weather can be a little iffy in January and February.

Finally, Charleston is only an hour from Kiawah during rush hour. Sometimes more. We’ve made it into the city in 45 minutes more often than not. If you’re going for golf though, there really isn’t a need to go into Charleston. If you need any additional suggestions, feel free to ask.