Callaway Magna golf ball review

Joluk58

Played 18 today with Callaway’s Magna golf ball.

Driver ss is around 77 (prior to illness was 89, still recovering)

7 handicap

Age 70

Off driver ball sounded and felt muted plus not has high as I thought would be. (Xr 16 9 degree)However did not lose any distance

Felt fantastic off irons (cig 16 Cleveland). Had best hitting irons day in while. Nice med high ball flight. Not lot of roll out either. Had 130 into 12 mph (39 degrees) hit 6 iron and nice ball flight. Hit the flag ball rolled 12 feet away. Missed birdie putt

Felt good off putter again maybe a little muted.

Kinda what expected chipping in that some roll out but not more than how I hit it for chips less than 10 yards.

Had several 40 to sixty yard shots and ball again rolled out nice meaning not off green. Maybe 4 to 8;feet.

Great experience. Will try again tomorrow.

My normal ball is Wilson duo spin.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played 18 today with Callaway's Magna golf ball.

Driver ss is around 77 (prior to illness was 89, still recovering)

7 handicap

Age 70

Off driver ball sounded and felt muted plus not has high as I thought would be. (Xr 16 9 degree)However did not lose any distance

Felt fantastic off irons (cig 16 Cleveland). Had best hitting irons day in while. Nice med high ball flight. Not lot of roll out either. Had 130 into 12 mph (39 degrees) hit 6 iron and nice ball flight. Hit the flag ball rolled 12 feet away. Missed birdie putt

Felt good off putter again maybe a little muted.

Kinda what expected chipping in that some roll out but not more than how I hit it for chips less than 10 yards.

Had several 40 to sixty yard shots and ball again rolled out nice meaning not off green. Maybe 4 to 8;feet.

Great experience. Will try again tomorrow.

My normal ball is Wilson duo spin.

Joluk58, Thanks, for the review! It sounds overall not bad. Would you consider the ball a game changer, easier to hit? I am a Sr golfer too and curious about the ball. You said, it sounded muted. I was a little concerned the ball is too light/soft etc. I am told by my local golf shop that they will carry the magna in yellow at the beginning of March. They sell sleeves which will be a great way to check the ball out. I'm looking forward to your additional review. Also, I am a fan of the Duo Spin (prior gen) as well. Thanks, again Tanner

Mine are arriving today, but too late for me to try them on a 9 hole round I'm doing after work.

My biggest questions are around...

ball flight. worried they will go sky high, but sounds like that wasn't an issue for you. My SS is creeping up past 90 now but i'm learning to shallow / deloft my irons a bit now for more distance / spin.

Roll out. I only play 2/ 3 piece balls any way so not expecting this to be much different.

Ease out of sand and rough. This is the main reason I want to try it, in the hope that it reduces miss hits from the more challenging lies.

Putting with the flag in. Will it substantially reduce the chances of sinking a putt? I saw some data that putting with the flag in increases the putts made chance quite a lot but im assuming that will be reduced with the bigger ball.

Mine are arriving today, but too late for me to try them on a 9 hole round I'm doing after work.

My biggest questions are around...

ball flight. worried they will go sky high, but sounds like that wasn't an issue for you. My SS is creeping up past 90 now but i'm learning to shallow / deloft my irons a bit now for more distance / spin.

Roll out. I only play 2/ 3 piece balls any way so not expecting this to be much different.

Ease out of sand and rough. This is the main reason I want to try it, in the hope that it reduces miss hits from the more challenging lies.

Putting with the flag in. Will it substantially reduce the chances of sinking a putt? I saw some data that putting with the flag in increases the putts made chance quite a lot but im assuming that will be reduced with the bigger ball.

Let us know how you like them.

Just did a quick par 3 9 hole course (all shorter than 140). Ball got up easy. No issues putting with the flag in. Cant really talk about roll out as on full shots the ball was getting plugged in to the fairway but held ok on the greens i hit (but its damp conditions). I'll probably practice with my left over e6 balls and game my Magna as they seemed to behave similarly (in these conditions at least). Hopefully the weather will be better next week and ill get out again.

• 2 weeks later...

I played the Supersoft Magna last weekend and thought I would chime in. I have been playing the Supersoft for the last 3 years and I also played the TopFlight Magna many years ago. The old TopFlight Magna was a rock and did not fight the wind very well, but it was easy to hit and had a very straight flight. The new Callaway Magna is similar to the old TopFlight Magna in that it has a very straight flight and is easy to hit, but is a much improved ball in that it is softer feeling and has better flight characteristics. Contrary to some reports that this ball is lighter than a normal ball, the Magna and Supersoft weighed the same on my scales, it just feels lighter in hand due to the construction and size. The feel is similar to the Supersoft but it has a thicker cover that seems to gives it a muted sound off most clubs, which was different but strangely pleasing to me. This new version shows promise, but I will need more than one round to fully evaluate its benefits.

Here are my observations from my first round with the Callaway Supersoft Magna:

First tee I hit both the Magna and Supersoft to see if there was a difference in distance. Magna was 10 yards further than the SS. Wow, did not expect that. Next shot into green, the SS hit the green and rolled out a foot or so as normal, the Magna flew the green by a yard or so. Again, Wow this ball is long. Contact on the Magna was so pure and easy to hit I just overpowered the shot. Chipped the Magna about the same as the Supersoft normally does with the expected roll out to about two feet. Made par with both balls.

Over the rest of the round I hit a few shots with both balls to get a better comparison. I had a few where the SS was longer and a few that the Magna was longer which probably just comes down to quality of the strike, but overall it seems the Magna holds its own in distance. It is a VERY straight ball! The Supersoft is no slouch in that department, but the Magna takes it to another level. If you like to work the ball, this is not the ball for you. My tee shots all day were never more than a 5 yard fade or draw. You may be able to curve it more than that but you will really have to try. I play for a straight tee ball and this delivered in spades, leaving me shots from the fairway all day.

One thing I immediately noticed was that my iron shots were the best I have had in years. Every shot was pure and so easy to make solid contact that I was getting better distance than I was accustomed to which made me overshoot some greens. I adjusted and in time was throwing darts at the flags.

One shot in particular stood out, I was 168 yards out on a long par 4 and had a slight uphill shot into the green. I pulled a 6 iron (my normal 165 yard club) and hit one so solid it landed 2 feet from the pin and stopped dead in its pitch mark. Not trying to passive brag because I never hit my irons that well, but that shot is why we play this game, right. And yes I made that birdie putt.

I ended up shooting par (36) on the front. This was the best front nine I had shot in a while, which I must say was due to the solid contact on my iron shots and being in the fairway on all but one hole. The law of averages caught up to me on the back nine, shooting a 45 (I am a 10 handicap) as it was cold and I was getting tired. I ended up shooting an 81.

I did have a couple of lip out puts which is what concerns me the most about playing this ball. The hole is still the same size but my ball is bigger. Does this mean its is harder to drop puts or is it all in my head. Those lip outs may have been the same with a regular sized ball, but in the back of my mind I wonder...

All in all I was impressed with the Callaway Supersoft Magna, and will continue to post my observations in this thread to help anyone who may be interested in this ball.

Nice review. It's a ball to try to see how I get along with it. I'm going to Myrtle Beach next week, so why not?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

ShortSticks,

Great review thx. I finally picked up a sleeve in my local golf shop for 6.97 out the door. It was a very cold and rainy day here in NC. I was very disappointed. But, after your review, I will hold my judgement until I play the ball in warmer weather. The ball felt bad, no feel to it. It felt like the ball was shorter than usual and it didn't curve much, which is a plus. I will chalk it up to the conditions and report back in the warmer weather.

Tanner

ShortSticks,

Great review thx. I finally picked up a sleeve in my local golf shop for 6.97 out the door. It was a very cold and rainy day here in NC. I was very disappointed. But, after your review, I will hold my judgement until I play the ball in warmer weather. The ball felt bad, no feel to it. It felt like the ball was shorter than usual and it didn't curve much, which is a plus. I will chalk it up to the conditions and report back in the warmer weather.

Tanner

Another cold weather practice session with the Magna and finally figured out who the ball is for. Someone who can't keep the ball on the course, with it being straight and short, you really can't get in trouble. Hopefully, it will feel better in warmer weather.

I was given a proto sleeve of these a couple months ago. They should be a really good ball for mid to lower swing speeds. The ball feels like a marshmallow on impact. I actually gained yardage on my mid and short irons but lost yardage on driver because it went too high in the air.

All in all you will get more spin and height with the ball. In my case, I got a little too much.

Callaway

I think what might be important when reviewing this ball is stating your swing speed. It seems that it might be as long or longer for slower swings and shorter for higher speeds, but that is just an assumption on my part.

A 165yard 6 iron would indicate a 85/90mph swing speed I think? I imagine that above that you start to lose distance with this ball.

I have also read that this ball is further on mishits due to higher MOI, so if you are not consistent ball striker, this ball will be longer on average, but shorter on the perfect strikes.

ShortSticks,

Tanner

ShortSticks,

Tanner

Another cold weather practice session with the Magna and finally figured out who the ball is for. Someone who can't keep the ball on the course, with it being straight and short, you really can't get in trouble. Hopefully, it will feel better in warmer weather.

As I stated before, this ball will not be for everyone. If you play a harder ball, then this one will have no feel to you. It is a Supersoft after all, just a little bigger. I did not find it to be short for me on the course, but it was only one round and in the 40s temperature wise. I will know more after more rounds with it, but was rained out this weekend.

I think what might be important when reviewing this ball is stating your swing speed. It seems that it might be as long or longer for slower swings and shorter for higher speeds, but that is just an assumption on my part.

A 165yard 6 iron would indicate a 85/90mph swing speed I think? I imagine that above that you start to lose distance with this ball.

I have also read that this ball is further on mishits due to higher MOI, so if you are not consistent ball striker, this ball will be longer on average, but shorter on the perfect strikes.

I am about 100 mph with the driver, usually 275 yards or so in normal conditions. I hit my irons shorter than most in my group, but I am longer than all of them with my woods. I do not forward press my irons as much as they do, so I have a higher ball flight. That works for me when playing low spin balls as i use the trajectory to stop the ball on the greens rather than spin.

I was given a proto sleeve of these a couple months ago. They should be a really good ball for mid to lower swing speeds. The ball feels like a marshmallow on impact. I actually gained yardage on my mid and short irons but lost yardage on driver because it went too high in the air.

All in all you will get more spin and height with the ball. In my case, I got a little too much.

I would tend to agree with some of these observations. I seemed to gain distance on mid and short irons from solid contact when in the fairway, but not as much when teed up. I noticed I needed to tee it a little lower than normal as it has a higher COG. Once I did that my distances were about normal off a tee.

It is not a distance ball by any means, given it is bigger and has more air resistance than a smaller ball. If it is pure distance you are after then this is not the ball for you, but if you are looking for a ball that is easier to hit and has a really straight flight then this may help.

I believe Callaway has done a great job re-engineering this ball by making it more forgiving than a smaller ball without making it loose too much distance overall. It is a much better ball than the old TopFlight Magna, and a straighter ball than the Supersoft (which is a pretty straight ball on its own) but is not a distance ball like the ERC.

I tried a sleeve last week and really like these. I play the normal SS and have tried basically every other low compression ball out there.

I had a question for everyone. One thing I was wondering about with the larger size, is it supposed to be easier to hit irons/chips because the equator is higher off of the ground? I was chipping/pitching really well but wasnt sure if it was because of the ball or not.

I am going to play Bandon Dunes in a few weeks and want to get some of these because i think they will help with the extremely tight lies you get there. I used to always play an 8 iron bump and run but I am wondering if i can pitch it off of the tight lies due to the larger size of the ball.

I tried a sleeve last week and really like these. I play the normal SS and have tried basically every other low compression ball out there.

I had a question for everyone. One thing I was wondering about with the larger size, is it supposed to be easier to hit irons/chips because the equator is higher off of the ground? I was chipping/pitching really well but wasnt sure if it was because of the ball or not.

I am going to play Bandon Dunes in a few weeks and want to get some of these because i think they will help with the extremely tight lies you get there. I used to always play an 8 iron bump and run but I am wondering if i can pitch it off of the tight lies due to the larger size of the ball.

Yes, you nailed it. The COG is higher off the ground making it easier to "get under the ball" as they say. Since you were a SuperSoft player you were used to the way it behaves and the Magna is the same.

My question is did you notice any difference when putting? DId you pull the flag or keep the pin in?

Yes, you nailed it. The COG is higher off the ground making it easier to "get under the ball" as they say. Since you were a SuperSoft player you were used to the way it behaves and the Magna is the same.

My question is did you notice any difference when putting? DId you pull the flag or keep the pin in?

Honestly, my putting was so bad that the ball never peeked in the hole. Was trying out a new FlatCat grip on my putter that obviously didnt work well.

Nice review SS, that almost makes me want to give these a go when I cant finally play golf in NJ!!

Im wondered the same thing about putting that you questioned, is this ball harder to get in the hole. My assumption is mathematically it is. With a higher COG I feel the ball is less likely to tip in when its right on the lip (more of the ball if not over the hole). If you think about this on an exaggerated scale, a golf ball the size of a tennis ball you be very difficult to get in the hole. So technically anything bigger is harder to hit in. As im typing this Im also thinking that a marble sized ball would be hard to putt as well..... Either way, I have the reservations in regards to size and putting.

Im also wondering if this a good "training" ball? Could playing this ball start to improve your striking on a regulation size ball over time?

OK, another round this weekend with the Magna, so as promised I will keep the observations going.

This ball is very straight. We had more wind this time out (10-15 mph) but better temps compared to last round (60s this time, 40s last round) and this ball still flew straight. The ball was not pushed around by the wind much, if at all. Distances seemed normal for me with a few really long bombs and a few right with my playing partners. The course was soaked from rains all week (cart path only) which kills my iron game, but I still managed to get it around in a respectable score for my handicap.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread it seems the higher equator on this ball makes it easier to chip and pitch around the greens if you are used to how the supersoft releases. I had one of my best short games going in this round, which was amazing seeing how wet it was.

Still on the border on the putting issue. I had a couple lip outs again. Would they have gone in with a normal ball? Maybe, maybe not, but it does make me wonder if the bigger size has any adverse effects on putting. Had 31 putts last time and 35 this week. Not too bad but not too good either.

Overall I am still liking the Callaway Supersoft Magna. It delivers on what it says it will; a straight ball flight that is easier to make solid contact.

OK, another round this weekend with the Magna, so as promised I will keep the observations going.

This ball is very straight. We had more wind this time out (10-15 mph) but better temps compared to last round (60s this time, 40s last round) and this ball still flew straight. The ball was not pushed around by the wind much, if at all. Distances seemed normal for me with a few really long bombs and a few right with my playing partners. The course was soaked from rains all week (cart path only) which kills my iron game, but I still managed to get it around in a respectable score for my handicap.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread it seems the higher equator on this ball makes it easier to chip and pitch around the greens if you are used to how the supersoft releases. I had one of my best short games going in this round, which was amazing seeing how wet it was.

Still on the border on the putting issue. I had a couple lip outs again. Would they have gone in with a normal ball? Maybe, maybe not, but it does make me wonder if the bigger size has any adverse effects on putting. Had 31 putts last time and 35 this week. Not too bad but not too good either.

Overall I am still liking the Callaway Supersoft Magna. It delivers on what it says it will; a straight ball flight that is easier to make solid contact.

Great review, SS. Keep the reviews coming. I have only been practicing with it. I have mixed feelings. It's a ball that won't get you in trouble. I can't see anyone slicing this ball off the planet. It seems poorly struck balls, just end up short. But, still mostly on line. The only thing I don't like the ball is an inconsistent feel to it. If you pure it, it has a nice soft feel. When it is not hit well, it has an odd feeling. It still should be a great ball for the intended target; beginners and high cappers. It's easy to make contact and the ball will not go too far off line.

Great review, SS. Keep the reviews coming. I have only been practicing with it. I have mixed feelings. It's a ball that won't get you in trouble. I can't see anyone slicing this ball off the planet. It seems poorly struck balls, just end up short. But, still mostly on line. The only thing I don't like the ball is an inconsistent feel to it. If you pure it, it has a nice soft feel. When it is not hit well, it has an odd feeling. It still should be a great ball for the intended target; beginners and high cappers. It's easy to make contact and not go too far off line.

I agree in that it is a ball that won't get you in trouble. It does not move much left or right, but can come up short. I had a few irons shots that came up short, but it was really wet and most of that was from not-so-solid (fat) contact. As the conditions improve I imagine that too will improve. I kind of like the feel at contact, but it is different from most balls. I suspect it is the thicker cover that is the culprit.

Great review, SS. Keep the reviews coming. I have only been practicing with it. I have mixed feelings. It's a ball that won't get you in trouble. I can't see anyone slicing this ball off the planet. It seems poorly struck balls, just end up short. But, still mostly on line. The only thing I don't like the ball is an inconsistent feel to it. If you pure it, it has a nice soft feel. When it is not hit well, it has an odd feeling. It still should be a great ball for the intended target; beginners and high cappers. It's easy to make contact and not go too far off line.

I agree in that it is a ball that won't get you in trouble. It does not move much left or right, but can come up short. I had a few irons shots that came up short, but it was really wet and most of that was from not-so-solid (fat) contact. As the conditions improve I imagine that too will improve. I kind of like the feel at contact, but it is different from most balls. I suspect it is the thicker cover that is the culprit.

+1 I am looking forward to hitting ball in 80-90 degree weather. The feel will improve. I hope I don't like it too much. I am not sure what I will do with two brand new dozens of QST's in yellow. I broke my rule. Never buy more than a dozen at a time. There's always a new ball coming out that looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had another round in the books that was another good one with the Supersoft Magna. Ball was straight as ever and pretty long in 60 degree weather with 10-15 mph winds. I did not notice any putting problems this time (32 putts). Any putts I missed were all on me. Short game was on point again. This ball is so easy to make good contact with it makes chipping and pitching a breeze. I finally lost one after 3 rounds. It is a very durable ball only taking damage from a cart path, but I was able to clean it up and keep it in play till the 16th hole when it found a watery grave. Still impressed with this ball and will keep the reports coming.

My wife has a very slow swing speed and is just coming back into golf after a couple years off. I bought her a dozen Magna balls. So far, for her, a transformative ball. She was amazed, I was amazed and our two friends were amazed as she played hugely better and truly enjoyed herself. After two rounds, I’m afraid to offer her a normal ball again.

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 3,5,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

> @SwingBlade said:

> My wife has a very slow swing speed and is just coming back into golf after a couple years off. I bought her a dozen Magna balls. So far, for her, a transformative ball. She was amazed, I was amazed and our two friends were amazed as she played hugely better and truly enjoyed herself. After two rounds, I’m afraid to offer her a normal ball again.

Cool, was hoping the biggest gains will be for a wife or a son who slices the ball off the planet.

OK this will be my last report on these balls. Had a bad round that no ball could save. Swing was garbage, back was tight from doing yard work the day before. Took me till the back nine to get loosened up and salvage the round.

Ball was still super straight, and short game saved me on many holes. Putting was fine with no lip outs or anything odd. It is a little shorter (5 yards or so) than other distance balls but about the same as most premium balls for me. It is anti-spin, so expect some roll-out with the short game, but it will drop and stop on an 8 iron on down with 5 irons rolling out a little. It is a little easier to hit from fairways and tight lies. It has a very unique soft feel that is similar to the Supersoft, but a little different due to the thicker cover.

Overall I still give this ball a positive rating as it does what it says it will do. I previously played the SuperSoft for the last few seasons and I like the SuperSoft Magna ball even more and will continue to play it.