2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The 80s Song Appreciation Thread

jackbauer

Much of my 80s was spent playing beer pong. Not the beer pong sissies play today, we played true blue beer pong with paddles. There were 4 of us, sometimes more, and we would change the album after one side, and everyone got a pick. We had about 2000 albums to choose from, and the genres were varied from 60s/70s to Zoogz Rift. This album was always on the short list for us, and it still holds up in my opinion. When you can sing, "my girlfriend asked me which one like better/ I hope the answer don't upset her" you know you have the makings for a smash hit. There were no weak songs on this album, but played some serious fast paced pong when this side was on.

Here's a couple that I remember most vividly. One of my regrets is never seeing them live.

Forgot about those guys. When I'm golfing for some reason I always have a song going thru my mind. Could be a song I love. Could be a song i despise. I remember last year I played really well with Madonna's Borderline song stuck in my head. I had no idea how it got there. Probably heard it earlier in the day at a supermarket or something. Anyway, if I had Black Flag stuck in my head I"d probably shoot 40 over.

lol.. Just popped into my mind how I used to play pretty well many moons ago with Camper Van Beethoven's Take the Skinheads Bowling looping in my head. Probably promoted a smooth transition at the top.

• Like 1

Much of my 80s was spent playing beer pong. Not the beer pong sissies play today, we played true blue beer pong with paddles. There were 4 of us, sometimes more, and we would change the album after one side, and everyone got a pick. We had about 2000 albums to choose from, and the genres were varied from 60s/70s to Zoogz Rift. This album was always on the short list for us, and it still holds up in my opinion. When you can sing, "my girlfriend asked me which one like better/ I hope the answer don't upset her" you know you have the makings for a smash hit. There were no weak songs on this album, but played some serious fast paced pong when this side was on.

Here's a couple that I remember most vividly. One of my regrets is never seeing them live.

Forgot about those guys. When I'm golfing for some reason I always have a song going thru my mind. Could be a song I love. Could be a song i despise. I remember last year I played really well with Madonna's Borderline song stuck in my head. I had no idea how it got there. Probably heard it earlier in the day at a supermarket or something. Anyway, if I had Black Flag stuck in my head I"d probably shoot 40 over.

lol.. Just popped into my mind how I used to play pretty well many moons ago with Camper Van Beethoven's Take the Skinheads Bowling looping in my head. Probably promoted a smooth transition at the top.

Don't feel too badly. A couple weeks ago, I couldn't get the theme to "My Favorite Martian" out of my head.

Simple minds, Level 42, Culture Club... no, that was not the best of decades for music. Nice background drinking champagne and eating quiche lorraine back in the days when i had curly hair, suit and tie at the lectures, and found long hair or beard sooo medevial. Quite an awful decade as long as style goes.

But of course there were some lights in the dark. Like the Cure, Pretenders, Violent Femmes and some scandinavian groups you havent heard of.

Isn’t it funny how that works. But there seems to be no way put that song back there for the next round.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

My 80's song top picks in no particular order:

Dio - Egypt (The Chains Are On); Rainbow in the Dark; and Holy Diver

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train; Mr. Crowley; Goodbye to Romance; Bark at The Moon; and Shot in the Dark

Metallica - Fade to Black; Master of Puppets; and For Whom the Bell Tolls

Joan Jett - Bad Reputation

Judas Priest - Breaking the Law

Clearly, I have a leaning toward the heavier side of music from the 80's.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I like how you roll, if you don`t mind I`ll add a few from the early punk/hardcore days.

Misfits- Halloween 1981

Social Distortion- Mommy`s Little Monster 1983

Bad Religion- Give You Nothing 1988

Dead Kennedys- Pull my strings 1980ish

• Like 1

I like how you roll, if you don`t mind I`ll add a few from the early punk/hardcore days.

Misfits- Halloween 1981

Oh boy. I almost put up a Dead Kennedys link but then backed off. lol... Saw those guys in 84 right before or after (can't remember which) the Olympics in LA. Funny enough saw them at the Olympic Auditorium where I believe they used to do that Roller Derby with chicks lol... Was my first real punk show and have to admit I got a little nervous at times with people spitting in my hair and the slam pit etc.. Good times!

Misfits- Halloween 1981

Oh boy. I almost put up a Dead Kennedys link but then backed off. lol... Saw those guys in 84 right before or after (can't remember which) the Olympics in LA. Funny enough saw them at the Olympic Auditorium where I believe they used to do that Roller Derby with chicks lol... Was my first real punk show and have to admit I got a little nervous at times with people spitting in my hair and the slam pit etc.. Good times!

I backed off the DKs too. We used to love them. Winnebago Warrior made us laugh a lot, but they had a pretty serious message. Fortunately we were young enough to not be serious. To give you a sense of who we were, after copious amounts of beer pong we would then retire to play our second drinking game. Each one of us would pick a character and you had to hit the lines of Repo Man perfectly or you had to take a drink. “Most people spend their lives getting out of tense situations. Repo men spend their lives getting INTO tense situations.” Harry Dean Stanton. Great soundtrack.

Misfits- Halloween 1981

I backed off the DKs too. We used to love them. Winnebago Warrior made us laugh a lot, but they had a pretty serious message. Fortunately we were young enough to not be serious. To give you a sense of who we were, after copious amounts of beer pong we would then retire to play our second drinking game. Each one of us would pick a character and you had to hit the lines of Repo Man perfectly or you had to take a drink. "Most people spend their lives getting out of tense situations. Repo men spend their lives getting INTO tense situations." Harry Dean Stanton. Great soundtrack.

Haha. Repo Man was such a weird movie. I think it was you who posted that Black Flag video and in it they are drinking cans labeled BEER. Instantly thought of Repo Man. But yeah. DK. Wow. I actually saw Biafra speak in person and he was very well spoken and was funny and took questions from audience. It was during that Senators wives push the PMRC? that was out to censor/regulate artists material. Something to that effect. Anyway, Biafra had dog in that fight so he was out there speaking out. Seems as close to 30 minutes ago as it does 30 years ago.

Misfits- Halloween 1981

I backed off the DKs too. We used to love them. Winnebago Warrior made us laugh a lot, but they had a pretty serious message. Fortunately we were young enough to not be serious. To give you a sense of who we were, after copious amounts of beer pong we would then retire to play our second drinking game. Each one of us would pick a character and you had to hit the lines of Repo Man perfectly or you had to take a drink. "Most people spend their lives getting out of tense situations. Repo men spend their lives getting INTO tense situations." Harry Dean Stanton. Great soundtrack.

Haha. Repo Man was such a weird movie. I think it was you who posted that Black Flag video and in it they are drinking cans labeled BEER. Instantly thought of Repo Man. But yeah. DK. Wow. I actually saw Biafra speak in person and he was very well spoken and was funny and took questions from audience. It was during that Senators wives push the PMRC? that was out to censor/regulate artists material. Something to that effect. Anyway, Biafra had dog in that fight so he was out there speaking out. Seems as close to 30 minutes ago as it does 30 years ago.

Would have loved to have seen the DKs. That’s the funny thing about those bands few took seriously, they had very intelligent members. It was tipper gore, and Jell-O was really smart, frank zappa knocked it out out of the park as well, Henry Rollins, they were all highly intelligent.

Misfits- Halloween 1981

My wife still gives me a hard time because "Repo Man" remains my favorite movie. At that time, to have a film with Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, and Iggy Pop on the soundtrack was unheard of.

Say you're thinking about a plate of shrimp...

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge