Top Connecticut Private Clubs???

dartboss04

[quote name='dartboss04' timestamp='1344459229' post='5432214']
[quote name='Teetogreen86' timestamp='1343162787' post='5344614']
I played there again today. The greens are still rolling great! A little slower, but not much. There were a few brown spots on a couple greens but the pins were no where near them. I can't believe I survived walking 18 in that heat!
[/quote]

Finally was able to play there. I enjoyed the course but had a tough day on the greens. They weren't so much faster than I've played recently, but there is a certainly quite a bit of slope and I just couldn't get the feel of the pace. I like the mixture of holes, long and short par 4's and 5's. Spicy orange chicken tenders in the clubhouse were good too. Haha.
[/quote]

Nice well I'm glad you got out there! It took me awhile to get a feel for the speed of the greens too. The first two times I played there I probably had 10-12 3 putts. But the layout is great like you said, a nice mix of holes. Right to left, left to right, long, short, you name it the course pretty much has it covered. From what I've tried, just about all of the food in the clubhouse is pretty damn good.

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone gets the chance, check out Shuttle Meadow Country Club in Kensington, CT. It's in great shape right now. New super intendent, things are nice and green and plush. The rough is penalizing and a lot of undulation in the greens. It's a fun track to play and a great family oriented club.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 2 weeks later...

Shorehaven is a short but fairly demanding course. Right on LI Sound. Love it. Ales really enjoyed Shuttle Meadow near Hartford. Rolling hills in Wilton is pretty nice. Darien CC is a solid course. I met Keith Hernandez there filming a commercial. Dislike oronoque's greens but course sets up great for a slinging hook. I enjoyed new haven country club. That being said, I would still take wintonbury hills and great river over most of these.

• 2 months later...

I have played the CC of Fairfield over a hundred times, mostly when I caddied there in the late eighties, but I have gotten out there recently after they did a lot of work returning it to it's original form, which is treeless and more links-like. It's a great track, not overly long, with plenty of room to really let it fly, and it is always in great shape. Some of the holes are classics, and the 3-10 stretch is great. When it's windy it can be a monster, and since it's on the sound, this is often. Another one I have played a few times is the Connecticut Golf Club, and I highly recommend it. This one is an animal that will eat as many balls as possible, even if you end up just off the fairway. It's a tight hilly course that demands accuracy and length off the tee, with many blind shots and elevation changes on a majority of the holes. The greens are some of the fastest I have played, be sure to visit the putting green if you get a chance to play there.

[size=3]Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 stiff[/size]
Titleist 915 F 3 wood, Diamana S+60 stiff
[size=3]Mizuno F-60 5 wood[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-33 w/S300 stiff +1/2 by me[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno T7, 52 and 58 degrees[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade Juno TP  putter[/size]
[size=3]Titleist Pro V1 and V1x depending on what I find.[/size]

• 2 months later...

[quote name='adamf9' timestamp='1342899333' post='5322722']
Consensus 3 best in Fairfield County are probably Stanwich, Wee Burn, and CC of Fairfield. Of the 3 have only played Stanwich...as advertised, well worth playing if you ever get the chance. Heard great things about Wee Burn as well. CC of Fairfield in a great setting, overlooking Soutport Harbor which many say make the course (vs the layout alone).
[/quote]

Yes indeed - Fairfield anywhere else is a "Bad" course, and to be honest the setting is nice - but I do not think it makes up for how bad I think teh actual golf course is. Wee Burn is nice - and Aspetuck is actually very interesting and hard. Great River for public is always very good.

[quote name='CTgolfguy' timestamp='1359644271' post='6336051']
[quote name='adamf9' timestamp='1342899333' post='5322722']
Consensus 3 best in Fairfield County are probably Stanwich, Wee Burn, and CC of Fairfield. Of the 3 have only played Stanwich...as advertised, well worth playing if you ever get the chance. Heard great things about Wee Burn as well. CC of Fairfield in a great setting, overlooking Soutport Harbor which many say make the course (vs the layout alone).
[/quote]

Yes indeed - Fairfield anywhere else is a "Bad" course, and to be honest the setting is nice - but I do not think it makes up for how bad I think teh actual golf course is. Wee Burn is nice - and Aspetuck is actually very interesting and hard. Great River for public is always very good.
[/quote]

Just curious why you think CC of Fairfield is such a bad course? I may be a bit biased since I basically learned how to play golf there, but to call it a bad course, that's crazy talk in my opinion.

[size=3]Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 stiff[/size]
Titleist 915 F 3 wood, Diamana S+60 stiff
[size=3]Mizuno F-60 5 wood[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-33 w/S300 stiff +1/2 by me[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno T7, 52 and 58 degrees[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade Juno TP  putter[/size]
[size=3]Titleist Pro V1 and V1x depending on what I find.[/size]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. Brooklawn CC
2. New Haven CC

These are my two favorite courses in CT. I would love to be a member at either one. I've moved to a different side of CT so not practical anymore, but there clubhouse, facilities, and the course itself I love.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

• 5 years later...
Wee Burn. #1 and NOBODY knows about it !!!

What in particular? I’ve see it on a few best of lists and in a thread I had started last year.

It’s not on the rotation for the traveling men’s club, but they have about 20 area private courses on the schedule. I don’t think the very top private want/need that revenue.

Admittedly, I've not had the opportunity to play some of the excellent private courses in Connecticut that I've heard such great things about like Wee Burn, Bulll's Bridge, CC of Fairfield, Connecticut Golf Club, Stanwich, etc., however, some of the privates I've played that I've really enjoyed -

Hartford Golf Club

Country Club of Waterbury

TPC River Highlands

Wallingford CC

Rockrimmon

Redding CC

Racebrook CC

I will be playing Wampanoag this Spring, and I've definitely got Yale in my sights for this season, as well. Big fan of the old school masterpieces from Macdonald, Raynor and Ross.

Dartboss - what is this travelling men's club you speak of? I'm familiar with the CT Am Tour, but is this something different?

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

Admittedly, I've not had the opportunity to play some of the excellent private courses in Connecticut that I've heard such great things about like Wee Burn, Bulll's Bridge, CC of Fairfield, Connecticut Golf Club, Stanwich, etc., however, some of the privates I've played that I've really enjoyed -

Hartford Golf Club

Country Club of Waterbury

TPC River Highlands

Wallingford CC

Rockrimmon

Redding CC

Racebrook CC

I will be playing Wampanoag this Spring, and I've definitely got Yale in my sights for this season, as well. Big fan of the old school masterpieces from Macdonald, Raynor and Ross.

Dartboss - what is this travelling men's club you speak of? I'm familiar with the CT Am Tour, but is this something different?

Yale is terrific.

One in the same, I think I’ve explained it that way to people and forget to call it by the actual name. I haven’t played with them since 2012, but am joining again this year. Hoping to play in 8–10 events.

Played Torrington CC a number of years ago. From what I recall it was a fine course and very well maintained. Have not played Lake Waramaug.

Thanks for the reply, DB. The CT AM Tour does look interesting, especially the private course angle. Also like the fact you can pick and choose the dates / locations you want to play. Only downside I've heard is that the rounds can be pretty long.

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

It looks like there is 20 or so private clubs on the schedule this year. They are always weekdays which makes sense so I have to pick and choose as it requires some time off. Tentatively looking at the following.

Rhode Island CC

Madison CC

Indian Hill

Yale

CC of Waterbury

Wallingford CC

Wampanoag

New Haven CC

Bulls Bridge

Shuttle Meadow

It looks like there is 20 or so private clubs on the schedule this year. They are always weekdays which makes sense so I have to pick and choose as it requires some time off. Tentatively looking at the following.

Rhode Island CC

Madison CC

Indian Hill

Yale

CC of Waterbury

Wallingford CC

Wampanoag

New Haven CC

Bulls Bridge

Shuttle Meadow

DB,

for what it's worth Indian Hill is a lovely golf course but compared to the others in your potential roster, I would save your time off for the others and not IH.

again, there is zero wrong with it and my uncle was a member there for many years. but comparatively speaking you have a pretty heavy hitting lineup and Indian Hill is unarguably on the lower end of your roster

Rhode Island CC

Madison CC

Indian Hill

Yale

CC of Waterbury

Wallingford CC

Wampanoag

New Haven CC

Bulls Bridge

Shuttle Meadow

DB,

for what it's worth Indian Hill is a lovely golf course but compared to the others in your potential roster, I would save your time off for the others and not IH.

again, there is zero wrong with it and my uncle belong there for many years. but comparatively speaking you have a pretty heavy hitting lineup and Indian Hill is unarguably on the lower end of your roster

DB,

We have to hit the links this year.

Sounds like we may have enough people from the Connecticut WRX chapter to get a foursome going so let's make that happen

Count me in for a day if you guys play.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

DB,

again, there is zero wrong with it and my uncle was a member there for many years. but comparatively speaking you have a pretty heavy hitting lineup and Indian Hill is unarguably on the lower end of your roster

Thanks for the feedback, that was certainly one I was uncertain about, and I’m probably going to narrow it down to 7 or 8.

We should definitely get a group together sometime this year.

• 4 weeks later...

CC of Waterbury could have some of the best greens in the state. They had a massive tree removal and it's pretty awesome now. I think it's the 7th hole (bottle necks) that still sucks but so many good golf holes. I saw someone mention Shuttle Meadow - sneaky good, lots of good holes. Same about Wamponaug. Yale with a little bit of money and care infused into it could be a top 50 course.

Cobra F9 w/ GD BB
Ping G410 w/ GD BB
Srixon U65 18* w/ GD DI or
Ping G410 19* w/ GD DI 
Srixon Z745 / Z965 Combo
RTX 4 - 50,54
Pine Glide 3.0 Eye 2
Laguna 2.5 (for now)

• 3 weeks later...
DB,

Thanks for the feedback, that was certainly one I was uncertain about, and I’m probably going to narrow it down to 7 or 8.

We should definitely get a group together sometime this year.

I've played all those courses except Rhode Island CC. I would put Indian Hill ahead Wallingford, Madison, Waterbury, and Yale (depending on conditions there). Bulls Bridge is a haul but it is worth it just for the views.