Gentles' WITB - March 2020 Update

UPDATE July 2016

A few new additions to the bag:

Added a Callaway XR Pro 5 wood, shafted up with a Voodoo SNV7. Picked up off the BST a few weeks ago. Found too big of a gap between the 3 deep and the 3 hybrid, so added the 5 wood, changed loft on hybrid and dropped the 4 iron. Perfect for shorter Par 4's and approaches into par 5s. Normally I struggle with 5 woods launching way too high, but this one I can easily manipulate ball flight.

Added Adams 23* Pro hybrid. Diamond tour golf for $40. Changed to a 23 hybrid and replaced a 4 iron to keep 4 wedges in the bag. Flies about 200-210, perfect gap between that and the 5 wood. New setup gives me much more flexibility at the top of the bag with the only downside being no 4 iron. Currently has a Aldila RIP Tour shaft, but will reshaft with a NV Voodoo I have lying around.

Shafts and grips - changed driver and three wood shaft from VS Proto X flex to NV Voodoo in stiff flex. Much easier to load...I think I was kidding myself that I could hit X flex shafts. I've noticed much more forgiveness going to Stiff, even if the NV Profile is slightly lower launching than the VS proto. Also changed putter grip to a Pingman PP58 cord. Maybe the 10th grip i've had on this putter!

ORIGINAL POST

Hi folks, thought i'd share my gear after I managed to dig up a WITB post I made nearly 8 years ago when I was a sprightly 16 year old who had all the time in the world but no money to buy any gear. The tables have turned now...i'm lucky to get in a game a week, but my club hoing has definitely not slowed down!

Hope you enjoy the pics - happy to answer any questions about my gear or golf in New Zealand!

Bag - picked up a Ping 4-under to top off my Ping fanboy transition. Love the hoof mechanism at the bottom - hasn't blown over once, much better than my old Titleist x86. However, I don't love how clubs get jammed whenever the bag is on the ground...part in parcel of the stability. Headcovers are Stitch golf that I picked up on the BST, and the hybrid cover is a custom made JuJu...like a true Wrx'er everything has to match colours!

Onto the gear inside the bag. Driver is a Ping Anser 10.5 playing at a shade under 45" with a VS Proto 60x shaft. Picked up the Driver a year ago when they were being closed out at ~$100...big theme of my bag is buying 2 year old gear at bargain prices. This driver is a bomber when hit on the screws and I find the X-flex shaft surprisingly easy to handle. Bought some custom weights off Ebay to keep the swingweight up with the shorter length.

Fairway wood is a Callaway XR 3 Deep. A relatively new (even for me) addition to the bag, this replaced a Ping Anser 14.5. I love the deeper face but I can still get it off the ground from a nice lie. Driver and fairway shafts have to match for me, so this one has a VS Proto 70x. The OCD part of me also loves that the matte finish on the XR series almost matches perfectly the Ping Matte Finish :)

Rescue is a Ping i25 with stock Ping shaft in Stiff flex. I used an Adams Idea Pro original for the best part of 10 years (almost predating my GolfWRX membership!), and I am not 100% sold on this one yet. They have a very similar headshape, but I really liked the straight face of the Adams. I've just ordered a 20* Adams Pro head for $28 on the bay, so watch this space! My spare club bag is full of discarded hybrids...so far there is a Ping Anser 20*, Callaway X Utility 18* and a 910F 7-wood collecting dust.

Irons are Ping i25s with CFS Stiff Flex shafts. In a classic WRX move I upgraded from i20s to these because the set of i25s included the 3-L, rather than the 4-U in the i20s, even though I only ever carry the 4-U. I used MP-67s when I was in high school and had time to practice, then had a set of Srixon i701s for a few years before transitioning to Pings. Nice compact headshape in the short irons but enough forgiveness to make me feel comfortable hitting the 4iron. Suspect these will be hanging around for while, though I have a hankering to try out some Steelfiber shafts.

Wedges are Ping Glide 56-SS and 60-TS. The only current model gear in the bag at the moment. I had some 588 RTX wedges that I quite liked, but I love the grind on the Pings. I tend to use the 56 most of the time, with the 60 out of bunkers and for delicate pitch shots. Shafts are Ping CFS Wedge. Also satisfying the OCD person to have all irons matching shafts!

Last but not least is the Putter. I had a Karsten Anser when I was in School and I loved it...another classic WRX move selling gear you love and regretting later on. Was very happy to get my hands on this last year for a song and rest assured this one will never be sold! I estimate that I've spent at least 3x more on grips for this putter than the putter itself!

Lastly grips and other stuff. More than anything else (apart from skymarks), I am meticulous about my grips. If a grip feels too small or not the right shape it does my head in...much more so than it should for a golfer of my calibre! All grips at Lamkin UTX with extra layers on the bottom hand to reduce taper (divide the grip into thirds with 5-4-3 wraps on each third). Putter Grip of the moment is a SuperStroke Flatso 1.0, though I do have my eye on the new pistol GT model, as I'm not 100% sold on the way the Flatso fits in my left hand. Not pictured are the Bushnell v3 Jolt, MG Dynagrip Elite gloves and Taylormade Tour Preferred / Lethal balls.

Very good looking, well thought out bag of sticks. I am a bit of a Ping fanboy, myself. But, like you, I have looked elsewhere for fairway woods. Ever the equipment ho, I am looking forward to testing the new G woods. By the way, the Hoofer bag seems to tangle the clubs a bit less the the Four, FWIW.

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

Very good looking, well thought out bag of sticks. I am a bit of a Ping fanboy, myself. But, like you, I have looked elsewhere for fairway woods. Ever the equipment ho, I am looking forward to testing the new G woods. By the way, the Hoofer bag seems to tangle the clubs a bit less the the Four, FWIW.

Not sure if I'm ready to spring for another new bag, but i'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a Hoofer. I can't understand why the dividers don't go all the way donw...I'm convinced I'm going to rip the lining with the square edge on the Flatso grip. Thanks for the comments though!

Nice stuff. Any differences for you going from the i20's to the i25's?

To tell you the truth I didn't notice a huge difference. The shorter irons in the i25 are a little more compact, while the longer irons are slightly larger. It's like they made the progression more significant through the set. Of course this may be just my perception! I also changed from midsize back to standard grips which I think made a bigger difference than the irons did.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Updating for the end of 2017 given that pretty much everything has changed! Big year for me outside of golf, moving from New Zealand to Canada for work. Also first time experiencing an "off-season". It stinks.

Anyway, here is where I ended up.

Driver: Started the year with a G30 LS Tec, then went to a 915D3, then M1 2017, and finally landed on a Cobra Fly-Z+. I bought the Fly-Z+ because it had exactly the shaft I wanted - my original plan was to get an F7+ head for the shaft, but I quickly decided that the Fly-Z+ is a much better head for my game. It has a custom 14g weight and plays at 44.5" with an Aldila Tour Blue 75x shaft.

Fairway: Started with a G30, then 915f, M1 2017, Cobra LTD before ending up with the F7. If you can't tell I like my woods to match brands! The 3 wood has an Aldila Tour Blue 85x shaft.

Hybrid: the ultimate revolving door for me this year. I've spent years trying to fill the gap between 3 wood and 4 iron, and I think I might be close. I dropped a wedge this year to add another club at the top of the bag, so i've ended up with a Callaway Apex 18*. I used an Adams Idea Pro for the best part of 10 years, and this has a very similar shape with a bit more technology. Only just got this, so haven't decided on a shaft yet. Will likely be either an Aldila NVS 105x or a Tour Blue 85x.

Driving Iron: part of the reason for dropping the wedge was to add a driving iron at the top of the bag. I used to pay 3w - 3h - 4i, now I go 3w - 2h - 3DI - 4i. I like the shape and way the 716TMB sets up, plus it flows nicely into my iron set. I'm looking at reshafting with a heavy graphite shaft, probably from the Aldila family for consistency.

Irons: Started the year with i25s, thanks to a warranty defect i ended up with i200s, which I then swapped for 716AP2s and this week swapped for 716CB. I just prefer a smaller headshape with irons, and I like the killed leading edge grind on the CBs vs the AP2s. These are shafted with DG AMT X100s.

Wedges: Started with some Ping Glides, then dabbled with Vokeys for a very short time, and ended up with the Taylormade Milled Grind 50 (bent to 52) and 58. Dropping a wedge meant going from PW-50-54-58 to PW-52-58. I find it much simpler with less to think about when deciding on what clubs to hit. These have DG S300s

Putter: the one thing that has stayed in the bag all year - Ping Milled Anser 5. I love the long neck Anser style as I prefer face balanced but have never got on well with mallet shape. This has a Ping PP52 grip.

Other bits and bobs: I've used MG Gloves for years...best deal out there. I typically use Taylormade Tour Preferred X, but next year I'm going to try the Vice Pro balls for something different. You might also like my hacked together stand for taking swing videos...it is a phone cradle that has been epoxied to an alignment stick. Works!

• 2 months later...

Few updates as we head into spring here in Ottawa...the local driving range is open for the 2nd time in February in the last 30 years, we're not far away!

• Picked up an M2 2016 driver, have it shafted with my Aldila tour blue 75x. I play drivers at 44.5" so the lead tape is there until I can find a heavier back weight.
  • Also picked up a Tour Issue 2016 m2 3HL. Little bit nervous about having a small gap between this and my 18* Apex, will have to do some LM testing.
  • Shafted up the Apex with an NVS 105X....like the feel but it launches a little low. Might wait to do some outdoor testing on this one.
  • Tried the same NVS 105x in my TMB and hated it. I'm either going to try a DG 105 X100, or flag it completely and go back to my Callaway X Utility prototype driving irons. I have the 24* with me and have a 21* en route
  • Went back to my Ping Glide 50 and 58 wedges. SOmething about the milled grind just didn't feel quite right. I still want new wedges this year, but I'm going to hold off till I can do some outdoor testing

We seem to have played a lot of the same sticks

NZ to Ottawa .. there's a kick in the nads

I have some wrx Glides I don't love but surprised you don't have a weaker Apex hybrid to match the 18

16 m2 driver is awesome .. 17M1 3HL > 16M2 3HL IMO

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

We seem to have played a lot of the same sticks

NZ to Ottawa .. there's a kick in the nads

I have some wrx Glides I don't love but surprised you don't have a weaker Apex hybrid to match the 18

16 m2 driver is awesome .. 17M1 3HL > 16M2 3HL IMO

Yeah I wasn't at all ready for 5 months of not being able to hit a ball outside!

What are the WRX Glides you have? I know I should probably just stick with the glides as they work well for me, but they just don't match well with my irons!

Tried out the 3HL yesterday, not a huge fan and will probably go back to my F7 to start the year off...if its not broke why I am I trying to fix it!

I went from a 20* Idea Pro to a 18* Apex after taking a wedge out of the bag...might look to add a 3 with a steel shaft if this driving iron merry go round doesn't stop anytime soon. Its the first hybrid I can stand to look at after 10 years of Idea Pro...

The lesson I've learned is to do more outdoor testing...i've done a bunch of tinkering this winter, but will probably end up with a very similar setup to what I ended the year with!

Glides v1

I have the 60 ES bent to 59 and a 54 bent to 53 SS ... red dots, black onyx s400, plus 1/2" or plus 3/4", both have heel, leading edge and trailing edge relief wrx grinds

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 1 month later...

Few new toys as the spring is nearly here! Heading back to New Zealand for 3 weeks, planning to get in as much golf as I can!

M2 3hl didn't work for me. 3 wood is primarily a tee club for me, and I felt that this one launched a little high for my liking. Snagged a Tour Edge Exotics CB5 for peanuts so have shafted that up with my trusty Tour Blue 85x and will give it a whirl. Not 100% sure if this will be the head...i'm tempted to go back to my F7 that I used at the end of last year if this one doesn't work out.

Y0bl6mL.jpgLsMMUpI.jpg

The TMB with the NVS105x felt awful, so decided to back to an old faithful...took a 24* X Utility head I've had since they came out, and found a nice 21* and shafted them up with matching AMT X100 shafts and will use these as a 3 and 4 iron. Despite being nearly 6 years old these are the best looking driving irons out there...I love how square they setup, and the way the sole is designed makes them interact with turf much more like an iron. I wish they made these in a 27*!

5Sle63g.jpg

Got a few other changes planned for when I get back from my trip home:

• Replacing the NVS105x in the Apex 18 with a Tour Blue 85x Hybrid shaft. 105 is just too heavy, especially in the 18* where I need a little help launching into par 5s.
  • Finding an Apex 20* head to put a Tour Blue 85x in to give me a some more options if I want to add a wedge back in.
  • Got a great deal on some NOS Scratch heads from Ari Techner to tinker with - i've got a 50,54, and a 58 on the way.

• 8 months later...

Updating for the end of 2018...moving back to New Zealand next year after what promises to be a long winter, and will never take year round golf for granted again.

Here is what I used for most of the year:

Driver: Taylormade M2 2016 10.5* with Aldila Tour Blue 75x shaft, at 44.5"

Love the shape and feel of this driver, my only reservation (hence the off season tinkering) is that it isn't the most forgiving, especially off my tendency for low strikes.

FL2T4Fv.jpg

Fairway: Taylormade M2 Tour Issue Deep Face 3HL 17* w/ Paderson Kinetixx Trajectory X at 42.5"

Love the shape of this, small footprint, nice deep face, perfect for off the tee with enough loft to be useful off the fairway. I had a Tour Blue 85x in it for most of the year, but have switched in the offseason to Paderson Kinetixx shaft that has a super stiff tip to try get the spin down and make this a little better off the tee. Working well on the simulators so far, but time will tell how it will go on the course.

YN7Z33N.jpg

oQyFSHO.jpg

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20* w/ Aldila Tour Blue 105 TX

Had a 18* for most of last season, but switched it out for a 20* when I changed from a 15* to a 17* fairway wood. Best hybrid ever in my opinion - in the last 10 years the only 2 hybrids that have made my bag are this and the original Adams Idea Pro. I use this or the 3 UDI depending on the course

cISHsW6.jpg

3 DI: Taylormade UDI 3 w/ Aldila Tour Blue 105 TX

Bomber of a driving iron, nice and forgiving while still being nice to look at. I want to add some tip weights so I can get rid of the lead tape. Tinkering with some 790s in the offseason.

TMBx56Z.jpg

4 DI: Taylormade UDI 4 w/ Dynamic Gold AMT X100

This is a mainstay in the bag, perfect for short par 4s. I find that the hollow design gives a bit more range distance wise - I can really step on this and get an extra 10-15 yards when I want. I tinkered with a 5 UDI this year too, but found it just went too far to be useful. Also tinkering with a 790 4 iron this offseason.

JvwHsGT.jpg

5-P: Taylormade P770 w/ DG AMT X100

Switched from 716 CB to these mid season - just wanted something with a little more forgiveness with a headshape that suits my eye better. These have a thicker topline, but I don't mind at all - super solid feeling while giving (IMO) much more forgiveness in the longer irons.

pGWJcNr.jpg

50,54,58: Ping Glide 1.0 w/ S400

The ugly duckling in the bag...I want to find something that better matches my irons, but I keep coming back to these! I like high bounce wedges, and there aren't many options out there for 12*+ bounce in the 50* and 54* especially. I bought a brand new set when they went on closeout.

QRbtG7x.jpg

Putter: Ping Anser Milled 5

The only club that made the trip to Canada that is still in the bag...love the face balanced plumbers neck...hard to find these days without shelling out an arm and a leg. One day I'll get a custom long neck DH89 made up, but until then this will have to do! Didn't have it in the bag when I took these pics but its the same one from above.

Offseason tinkering: P790 3 and 4 iron, G400 Driver

One of the silver linings about having a long offseason up in the frozen north is that you can get some bargains on gear. I picked up a P790 3 and 4 iron, and a G400 driver to play around with. I'm hoping that the P790s can offer a similar forgiveness to the UDIs with a slightly more solid feel and a look that is closer to the P770 iron set. With the G400, what I want is more forgiveness than the M2...its shafted up with the same shaft as my M2 so I can do some like-for-like testing.

OpHE14q.jpgM68Kc8Y.jpg

I just added a TI M2 16.5 and Ive got to say its amazing.It launches lower than I thought it would. Also the milled 5 is a trusty backup I'll never let go. Really nice setup.

I’ve beem burned enough regretting selling stuff that I am resolving to never sell a club that stays in the bag more more than a year! The driver 3w and putter are all firmly in that category now!

• 1 month later...

Winter testing update - G400 driver feels great, definitely more forgiving than the 2016 m2, It spis a touch more so might have to investigate the lst version.

Have switched wood shafts over to Paderson trajectory series - I have a buddy who works at golfworks so I can try these out cheap. Super stable with a very stiff tip section. Hoping that helps with the spin on the g400

On the fence about the 790 vs the UDI driving irons. I love the look of the 790 but the udi seems to offer just a touch more forgiveness which I need at that pet of the bag. I think I’m gonna have to wait till I can hit on grass to really tell.

Also picked up this locally for nothing to tinker with. Nice deep face. I might try a diY repaint job just to keep myself busy. Shafted with a spare aldila tour green 75x I had lying around.

• 1 month later...

Couple new toys to tinker with...spring can't come soon enough.

Callaway 3 deep OG shafted up with an Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Callaway Apex 23* Hybrid shafted with Aldila Tour Blue 105 TX

Looking for a Ping Glide 52* to give some more options at the bottom of the bag.

Decided to sell the P790 long irons to make room for a few other purchases...they looked great in the bag but I just preferred the shape of the original UDI.

Now stuck with the conundrum of trying to figure out the top of my bag. I currently have a 3deep and M2 Deep Face to fill the fairway spot.....18, 20 and 23 Apex Hybrids, and 3,4,5 UDI...9 clubs to fill 2 or 3 spots at best!!!

zyKGrn9.jpg5gbVd6L.jpg

Awesome bag, how tough was the transition from year round golf?

When are you headed back to NZ? I am headed over in a couple of months for a year, would be good to get a game with a fellow hoe!

Cobra LTD X LS 10.5 RIP Phenom 70X

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Black 6.5 
Titleist T200 3i Hzrdus Black 6.5
Srixon Z745 4 & 5i KBS $-Taper X

Srixon Z-Forged 6-PW KBS $-Taper X
Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58 
Evnroll ER5C 

I'll be back in October - where will you be living? It's a small enough place that we will probably cross paths at some point anyway!

Just about done with winter #2 here...both times I made the mistake of not just putting the clubs down for a couple months...instead keeping up the tinkering and trying to satisfy the habit with indoor golf, not the same! I'll never take a soggy, cold wet winter round for granted again.

I'm aiming for Auckland, but we'll see how things play out. How about you?

Is that two winters and one summer in Canada? You definitely got the short straw if that is the case!

Cobra LTD X LS 10.5 RIP Phenom 70X

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Black 6.5 
Titleist T200 3i Hzrdus Black 6.5
Srixon Z745 4 & 5i KBS $-Taper X

Srixon Z-Forged 6-PW KBS $-Taper X
Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58 
Evnroll ER5C 

I'm aiming for Auckland, but we'll see how things play out. How about you?

Is that two winters and one summer in Canada? You definitely got the short straw if that is the case!

I lived in Wellington before coming over, so will end up there at least in the short term. Lots of great golf in Auckland for sure!

Nah we did the opposite - came in April (right after NZ summer, start of Canada Summer) and will be leaving after the Canadian summer this year (right before NZ summer). By next June i'll have had 5 summers and 2 winters...just a shame those winters were long and brutal!