Nippon Modus 120 vs Dynamic Gold

PingDrv00

I found the head I like, and now doing a shootout between the S55's with KBS C-Taoer Light, Dynamic Gold and Nippon Modus Tour 120. Anyone have any experience as to what I should look for or expect?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

compared flex to flex...the 120s are softer all the way around. Not to mention weight...130g vs about 110-120 depending on the flex chosen.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

The Modus 125 is the closest in comparison to the Dynamic Golds.

The Modus 120 is butt soft with a very stiff tip.

I would suggest reading through the unofficial Nippon Modus thread here - http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1102365-it-just-me-or-are-a-lot-of-pros-switching-to-nippon-iron-shafts/

Tons of great info on bend profiles and performance in that thread.

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Try the DG TI 120 x100

DRIVERS (TBD):  COBRA DARKSPEED LS Tour 9*, Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 60s //  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I had played DG S300 for many years. It was all I knew. Then I began experimenting some KBS shafts and eventually I tried the Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 shaft in stiff. For me, the Nippons felt smoother and the ball flight was slightly higher than the DG's. The other factor is weight. The Nippons are lighter flex to flex than the DGs, but you can still feel the head. I personally liked the way the Nippons released for my swing, which is one of moderate tempo with as smooth a transition from the top and I can produce. My swing lives or dies with tempo.

For me Dynamic Gold launches lower initially but the apex of the flight is higher. I have come to really hate Dynamic Gold. The Modus shafts have had a higher launch for me but it flattens out. I also did not see a lot of difference between the 105, 120, and 125. It would be nice if you could test them on the course so you can see how the ball reacts to shots you try to work one way or another. I will never play Dynamic Gold again.

I appreciate all the input. Anyone have any comparisons to the C-Taper Lite 110's. It is easy to just pick up a set of S55's to try, and if they fail. I will just put them back on Ebay.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

I had played DG S300 for many years. It was all I knew. Then I began experimenting some KBS shafts and eventually I tried the Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 shaft in stiff. For me, the Nippons felt smoother and the ball flight was slightly higher than the DG's. The other factor is weight. The Nippons are lighter flex to flex than the DGs, but you can still feel the head. I personally liked the way the Nippons released for my swing, which is one of moderate tempo with as smooth a transition from the top and I can produce. My swing lives or dies with tempo.

This post has lots of good points.

'My swing lives or dies with good tempo'

Reason OP should try out these shafts yourself. What is great for one hacker does not mean it will be good for another hacker.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

• 1 year later...

Revival.

I’ve been playing 120’s for the past 3 months and my iron game is strong. Really strong. However, after playing S300’s for years, and despite my iron play being strong, I find myself missing the DG feel. I can’t pinpoint what exactly I’m missing, but the Nippons just don’t feel as crisp. The Nippons are definitely easier to swing, and I can go at them hard or take some off and they still perform. Considering how well I’m hitting them and the scores I’m posting it feels crazy to even talk about it, but here I am.

The Modus3 120 is smooth as can be. If you have a harsh transition then you might be better off going with the DG offerings. I have always felt the Modus3 had the same profile/feel as the AD-DI in the graphite sector. They share the same characteristics with a tip-stiff and softer butt end, they hold up to stronger than average swing speeds and thrive with a smooth transition.

Titleist TSR3 (8*) w/ AD-DI 6x

Titleist TSi3 (15*) w/ AD-DI 8x

Titleist TSR3 (19*) w/ AD-DI Hybird 85x 

Titleist TS3 (21*) w/ AD-DI Hybrid 85x

T100S 5-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0 Blackout

Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks 50F-54D-60T w/ TT DG S400

Toulon First Run San Diego w/ KBS TourGPS

Modus is the best feeling and smoothest shaft. Wish it fit my swing but I have to play c-tapers. Shafts are different for everyone you just have to get fitted properly and try them yourself to see numbers, ball flight, and what it feels like.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

Revival.

I've been playing 120's for the past 3 months and my iron game is strong. Really strong. However, after playing S300's for years, and despite my iron play being strong, I find myself missing the DG feel. I can't pinpoint what exactly I'm missing, but the Nippons just don't feel as crisp. The Nippons are definitely easier to swing, and I can go at them hard or take some off and they still perform. Considering how well I'm hitting them and the scores I'm posting it feels crazy to even talk about it, but here I am.

Really, this sounds like something you need to try to forget about

Revival.

I've been playing 120's for the past 3 months and my iron game is strong. Really strong. However, after playing S300's for years, and despite my iron play being strong, I find myself missing the DG feel. I can't pinpoint what exactly I'm missing, but the Nippons just don't feel as crisp. The Nippons are definitely easier to swing, and I can go at them hard or take some off and they still perform. Considering how well I'm hitting them and the scores I'm posting it feels crazy to even talk about it, but here I am.

nothing beats the solid "thump" of a good ole S300 shaft.

• Like 1

2024 Bag TBD

Revival.

You’re 100% correct. Golf huh?

Revival.

nothing beats the solid "thump" of a good ole S300 shaft.

If something else produces better results for someone, I can't imagine why that wouldn't beat it

The Modus3 120 is smooth as can be. If you have a harsh transition then you might be better off going with the DG offerings. I have always felt the Modus3 had the same profile/feel as the AD-DI in the graphite sector. They share the same characteristics with a tip-stiff and softer butt end, they hold up to stronger than average swing speeds and thrive with a smooth transition.

Except for Modus3 being soft in the butt end while AD DI is categorized as stiff in the butt ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kind of curious about the Nippon Modus 120's as well...I happened to get a set of KBS $ Taper and they seem to be really good. Anyone have any experience with both of these? Only reason I ask is because I'm considering a new set of heads and not sure I want to spend the extra money to swap shafts (if I don't have too). Not trying to thread jack, just curious. Thanks.

> @MrShield said:

> BirdieBirdieX wrote:

>

>

>

> The Modus3 120 is smooth as can be. If you have a harsh transition then you might be better off going with the DG offerings. I have always felt the Modus3 had the same profile/feel as the AD-DI in the graphite sector. They share the same characteristics with a tip-stiff and softer butt end, they hold up to stronger than average swing speeds and thrive with a smooth transition.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Except for Modus3 being soft in the butt end while AD DI is categorized as stiff in the butt ;-)

I believe you read the chart wrong. DI is medium in the butt, medium in the mid and stiff in the tip.

http://proschoicegolfshafts.com/tour-ad-di-wood-shafts/

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

• 1 year later...

Contrary to many, the DG s300's actually launch higher and spin less for me the the Modus 120 in both s and x. No by much but enough to make a difference. The Modus had slightly less ball speed was much kinder to my misses, probably due to the stiffer tip. The s300 wanted a slightly shorter/quicker transition. The Modus suits my timing really well as someone who is flexible, makes a full turn, and needs a fraction more time and space to squat, rotate, and drive with my legs. Modus feels really good when flushed and still pretty good when missed. S300 feels amazing when flushed and terrible when missed. Some prefer that immediate feedback, I get all the feedback I need from my body and prefer being able to thin a 4iron in 50 degree weather and not hate life :)

• 3 months later...

I just recently went through iron shaft change dilemma so I think I can share my experience in details. Been playing with DG S300 on Mizuno MP60 for many years. Finally I decided to change my iron set this year and had to go through multiple sessions of fitting and analysis with different fitters. Choosing the iron head is a separate story which I won't get into details in this thread but ended up with Srixon Z785.

Choosing a shaft has been a longer process for me because every fitter's analyser came up with different top shaft choices. It is probably because my swing has changed quite a bit since I began the search for a new iron head and shaft combo. The whole journey took around 8 months - ultimate goal was to look for the lightest shaft I could use without losing control and feel. Regardless, these shafts came up in the system frequently:

Project X LZ 6.0Dynamic Gold 120 S300Dynamic Gold AMT White S300KBS $ Taper StiffNippon Modus 120SProject X LZ 6.0 - These felt dead to me. I didn't know what it was but I hated the feeling of it. Completely different feel from Project X, which I didn't mind, and I lost distance by one club as well. It did feel lighter than DG S300 but I did not get along well with shaft in terms of spin, launch height, feel etc.

Dynamic Gold 120 S300 - Didn't like it as well. Definitely lighter than DG S300 but it felt harsher. Even DG X100 felt better than these. Couldn't get it to launch either. So kicked it out of the list.

Dynamic Gold AMT White S300 - It felt no different till around 7 iron compared to regular S300. But when it got to the longer irons, I was spraying the ball all over the place. Not a bad feel but no control. So kicked it out of the list.

KBS $ Taper Stiff - I almost went with this shaft. Nice mid ball flight with great descent angle which stopped the ball. I think in terms of dispersion, $ Taper was the best out of all the shafts mentioned above. Feel was great too. No troubles controlling longer iron shots as well. Distance increased by half club length compared to S300.

Nippon Modus 120S - The fitter wanted to test me out with a slightly lighter shaft compared to $ Taper so that we could really dial in into performance. 5g lighter than $ Taper, Modus 120S was the Goldilock zone for weight, CPM, spin, height and distance. I could hit every club from 4-PW without any issues and ended up gaining one club length per club. The gain came with consistency as well. The best thing about this shaft was the feel. First couple swings, it felt as if the shaft felt softer to flex (??) if that is the right description but as soon as I got used to the shaft from 3rd shot onwards, I understood how this shaft was designed. The shaft loads perfectly to my deliberate swinging style (I am not an aggressive hitter) and felt the shaft unload at impact which is an addictive feel. Goes slightly higher than DG S300 but not something I would notice without a launch monitor.

Other shafts - Tried out other lighter shafts such as Modus 105, XP 95 etc but they were too light for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding these shafts. Happy to help you answer if I can. Cheers.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Modus 120's are nothing like Classic DG's.

Anyone who tells you they are has zero feel in their golf swing.

Very different launch & spin & overall feel. Also Modus 120 with may swings will feel way more harsh than DG even though they are 10-15 grams lighter.

If you are used to DG and go to Modus 120 there is going to be a major transition period.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll tell ya boys and gals, I’m at a dilemma with this too. Had x100’s in my p790’s and my club guy fitted me in my new sticks with Stiff NS pro 1150 tours. I like how they feel in my T200’s but now I’m looking at the new 770/7mc’s and don’t know what shaft to go with. Tried dg120 s300’s earlier this year and didn’t enjoy them at all. Too many to choose from. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 5:18 PM, jchoi said:

Curious to know if your opinions have changed over the past few months.. any new insight on the s300 vs 120?

PM sent @jchoi

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 100HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Fastback TFB-1.5 T22 Tour

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 4:56 AM, jsixman said:

Those are the only two shafts I play, Modus 120 and DG S300 or S400. Also played modus 130 and they are great. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.

I currently game modus 120. Thinking of S400 or Modus 130. What should I expect out of those 2 (trajectory, spin, feel) coming from Modus 120?

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS w/ Ventus Red 
FW: TM Sim2 Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Blue

Hybrid: PING 425  w/ Rogue 95tx

Irons: Cobra Forded Tec 22' 4-PW w/ Recoil 1110 F5
Wedges: Edel SMS 54-58
Putter: Cobra Stingray 40

• 2 years later...

I recently had an iron fitting for the first time ever after 3 years of golf and thought I should share my experience in case there is somebody out there in the same boat as me. 

I'm a personal trainer and train for strength quite a bit so I naturally preferred a heavier club when I started playing golf. I would describe my iron swing as smooth with a smooth, easy transition (project X iron shafts feel AWFUL). My swing is longer than most and I get across the line at the top. I started with burner 2.0's with 85-S graphite shafts, then 3 months into golf I purchased p790's with 105g DGX100 shafts. My iron game instantly got better (dispersion-wise and consistency with strike) because of the heavier shaft. A year later I started to learn how to shape shots and take golf even more serious so I found some 2020 p770s with Nippon Modus 120x 1/2"-under because I figured I would eventually grow into them and I personally hated the look and feel of super thick game improvement irons. TXG Youtube video was huge on Nippon Modus so I figured what the heck. Again, my iron game almost instantly improved and the shafts felt great. I am also 5'6 so I figured I'd be good with shorter clubs. Sure enough, my long irons had never been easier to hit. 

Fast forward a couple years, I shoot anywhere from 5-10 over mainly due to my horrible decision making on the course and how often I play. I love seeing equipment videos online and saw the huge gains that could be made with a fitting. I figured I'd go to a big box store to try out different shafts in case I was leaving any accuracy or distance on the table (the fitting itself wasn't all that after watching great fitting videos on YouTube lol). My current 7 iron was in the 85-90mph swing speed range and carrying 165. Fitter said according to the swing speed, I would probably be better off with a stiff shaft so we started with with a Nippon Modus 120S. The shaft felt so much easier to hit with ~2 more yards in distance and a better smash factor/ball speed. It really was crazy how much easier it was to swing the club. I could only imagine at the end of a round.

We then tried DG120 S300 and were both surprised with the results. A flush shot went from 163-165 with NM120X, to a 173-175 with DG120 S300. The swing speed and clubhead speed went up accordingly with relatively the same dispersion. Unfortunately, I do not have the launch/spin numbers on hand and I wish I did. The best way I could describe it is the DG shaft naturally "lags" behind my body in the transition which allows the lower body to initiate the downswing easier, making the deflection of the shaft at impact much stronger. With Nippon Modus it felt like more of a uniform transition which provided less power. I would describe Nippon Modus as extremely stable for my swing type. KBS was similar to Nippon Modus for me. Project X felt awful and like I had no clue what the clubhead was doing for my swing type. 

Just to test it out, we tried 105g shafts and the speed went up but it was much harder to get center contact leading to a bigger dispersion. The heavier 130g-S shafts felt awful and the timing was horrible. It would take a lot of practice to get a feel for those shafts. I would compare it best to how my wedges feel. I currently have NM 120X shafts on the wedges and trying out stock wedges with the "wedge flex" 130g s200s feels horrible. I will most likely get a set of DG120 S300 wedge shafts as well. 

Hope this helps anyone in my situation!

Edited by lopez6193
  • Thanks 1