2019 Callaway Apex & Apex Pro Iron Pics

easyyy

Played a couple rounds with my standard Apex 19 5-GW. So far the only thing I'm not thrilled with is having deal with the Gap Wedge. I've always gone PW 45* or 46* to my 52*. Now with PW at 44, GW at 48 then my 52 it just seems to me, someone who likes simplicity, that is just to many options.

May trade in the 8-GW and just get the pros in 8-PW.

Any thoughts?

I've carried 4 wedges for years and can't imagine my bag any other way. 46,50,55,61. Gapping is all about preference. You can adjust lies. Certainly don't change sets because of gapping issues.

But the way....I saw the smoke Apex last night at GG. Very nice. I love the bounce and the pre worn leading edge.

I will have to pick up a set to goof with.

Good points. I one point 2 years ago I went 46 PW, 50, 54, 58 and my short game was brutal. Went to 52/58 and have been much better from 100 and in.

Im starting to head that way. I find my short game much better when say im 120 out I take a choked up PW(full swing 135 club) and swing smooth rather trying to rip at a 50 degree. Looking into going 52/58 rather then 50/54/60

Not sure if right thread but TXG just did their Apex Pro review. I still love these but the really high speed guys may want to be aware that Matt was getting a couple "fliers" off the deck. His front to back dispersion was about 13 yards with a 6i which obviously is a little bit about strike... but he's around a 2-3 HC and his strikes weren't too bad.

I don't have all his speed but I tend to carry the 6i around 185 -190 when I'm feeling good. I am now a little concerned about this... This is the #1 reason why I ditched my 790's.

Not sure if right thread but TXG just did their Apex Pro review. I still love these but the really high speed guys may want to be aware that Matt was getting a couple "fliers" off the deck. His front to back dispersion was about 13 yards with a 6i which obviously is a little bit about strike... but he's around a 2-3 HC and his strikes weren't too bad.

I don't have all his speed but I tend to carry the 6i around 185 -190 when I'm feeling good. I am now a little concerned about this... This is the #1 reason why I ditched my 790's.

Have the same concern in the 4-7i due to the cup face. Anyone experience this themselves?

Have the same concern in the 4-7i due to the cup face. Anyone experience this themselves?

Hes a very low spin guy. Once they moved the loft to 31 Degrees he was 211 209 214 215. Cant get much more consistent than that with a 6 iron

I think strong lofted irons are a bad fit for low spin guys. High launch/high spin guys love the p790s

They did have a good point though about the non scratch player - How many of us honestly pump our irons over the green? 95% of us come up short most of the time. Maybe a little extra heat on your shot wouldn't be the worst thing ever. However, for very good strikers who need minimal deviation from their expected carry, this wouldn't be ideal.

However, I've seen a bunch of pro's putting these in the bag, and Xander won with them.

Hes a very low spin guy. Once they moved the loft to 31 Degrees he was 211 209 214 215. Cant get much more consistent than that with a 6 iron

I think strong lofted irons are a bad fit for low spin guys. High launch/high spin guys love the p790s

Good point. I think maybe the one that he hit 201 was probably just a dude... He was using X7's and he has been gaming the modus 120TX's for a while now.

Good point. I think maybe the one that he hit 201 was probably just a dude... He was using X7's and he has been gaming the modus 120TX's for a while now.

The "flier" before they lofted up was also a swing of 106mph with the rest of the swings being 102-103. So he added 3-4mph to his swing, so his ball went 4-5mph faster, so it went farther. Not rocket science. They attributed it to club and looked at the ball data, but not once in the video did they comment that he just swung it faster.

For the pros, I don't think there's any real flier tendency in them. Unless your definition of flier is "I swung faster and found center and it actually went far, much farther than I had planned since most of my hits are not centered." My 2 cents.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

I got my Combo set last week and haven't had a chance to play them yet due to the weather but I did take them to the range twice. The Apex irons are really loud with range rocks but I'm certain it'll be different with a premium ball. The shape of these clubs is what is most impressive to me. I've always liked the Callaway aesthetic, especially in the scoring clubs and they really got these right in every way. The flight is great (Recoil SmacWrap) and the spin numbers seem to be good. If it ever stops raining, I'll have more to say on the subject but, right now, I feel like I've gained back twenty five years.

Just hit them today. Absolutely loved them. The Apex 19 compared to the CF 16 looked a touch smaller on the top line. The Apex Pro 19 is going in the bag. Felt great, certainly had a hot-ish sound. I was hitting them with practice (read crap soft) balls in the hitting bay, but was getting 5 mph more than my AP2. Now, my AP2 currently are a 1/4 in short, but I was having better launch and spin numbers, equal/better land angle, and about 12 yards more carry.

Going to get them for sure, and the AP2s are going on the BST. Just need to figure out which site to buy from...

Good move.....go for the Pros and don't get lured in by the Combo set. The Pros have got all the forgiveness you could ask for.

Just hit them today. Absolutely loved them. The Apex 19 compared to the CF 16 looked a touch smaller on the top line. The Apex Pro 19 is going in the bag. Felt great, certainly had a hot-ish sound. I was hitting them with practice (read crap soft) balls in the hitting bay, but was getting 5 mph more than my AP2. Now, my AP2 currently are a 1/4 in short, but I was having better launch and spin numbers, equal/better land angle, and about 12 yards more carry.

Going to get them for sure, and the AP2s are going on the BST. Just need to figure out which site to buy from...

Good move.....go for the Pros and don't get lured in by the Combo set. The Pros have got all the forgiveness you could ask for.

It seems like you went combo though, are you regretting not getting 4-7 in the pros?

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

I’ve had my mixed set for a few weeks now. I’m liking them better each time I hit them. The first time out with them I wasn’t sure, but like with any iron change, you have to get used to the differences form your previous set. Now that I’m getting them dialed in, I’ve decided to go ahead and make them my gamers. The swing weight feels a little heavier than my previous Ping i200 set, and I think that had led me to more consistent strikes toward the middle of the face. I wish I could give a lot more and better feedback, but the weather has either been too rainy or cold lately, I’m ready for some dry ground and green grass!

Ping G430 LST 9*, Kai’li White 60

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*, Aldila Rogue White 70
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* K

Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Titleist ProV1

A little late to the party, but I finally got to hit the Apex Pro's yesterday (inside, but still) and I came away super impressed. I've hit a bunch of comparable irons the last couple months (AP2, Z785, 919F and Tour, i210, King Forged CB, all in the same shaft), as I'm in the market for new irons, and for me these were the best by a good bit. The feel wasn't exactly soft forged, but it was very solid feeling and I was actually a big fan of it. Numbers across the board were great, look good at address, pretty forgiving on mishits - I just basically fell in love with the whole package. So I'll probably be ordering a set to spec soon, and can't wait to get these bad boys out on the course.

Well my set of Apex Pro’s were delivered yesterday, less than a week from when I ordered from Discount Dan’s, great delivery time and for a slightly custom set. Too bad there’s still a couple feet of snow on the ground and more on the way, it’ll be at least a month until I can hit the course with them. Excited to get these in play though! Coming from a 10 year old set of Cobra ProCB’s, these will probably be a world of a difference.

It seems like you went combo though, are you regretting not getting 4-7 in the pros?

Nope! Went full pro, loving it

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

I went with an all Pro set over the combo set. I figure it is already sort of a combo set since the 7 iron and up have the cup face, making them a little more forgiving. The only disappointment is not being able to get the matte finish on the full pro set. The Pros look great but would be much better with a matte or raw finish

Just did my first ever full bag fitting, chose True Spec in my area. Went in wanting to hit everything, and no allegiance to any brand's flag. Definitely wanted to get away from my mega players clubs that I just can't get along with given the amount that I play. I probably was never good enough for them haha but I was at least able to move around the course well enough when I was playing and hitting balls multiple times a week.

I honestly hadn't even looked into the Pro's, which happened to be the very first club we tested. The results were fantastic, so the fitter and I kind of just figured let's keep hitting different heads because they will all most likely produce better results than my current irons. I was specifically interested in the Mizuno Hot Metal Pro's coming into the fitting, and made a point to test those out. While I loved the look, and they certainly preformed well, they just didn't seem to top the Apex Pros.

After hitting 7-8 different heads, we were both pretty sure the Apex Pros were going to be the winner. At that point we focussed on dialing in launch and spin with the correct shaft. In the end I wound up with the KBS $ Taper 130, a shaft I've never hit before.

Here are the results. Ignore the "Side" column as I was using my own target references out on the range rather than the one the Trackman was aligned at. It had me kind of crooked which messes with me for some reason haha so I straightened up (turned left), and we could see the ball flight in relation to my alignment anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. In addition, I was playing my irons -1/2" length, and we decided that +1/2" would be a better fit, thus the slight uptick in swing speed as I was choking down on a +1" shaft at the time of the fitting.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I got fit for the Apex Pro's last month and absolutely loved them. I am coming out of G20's and wanted to move to a players iron that still offered a little bit of forgiveness. I loved the way they looked at address and I'm a fan of the smaller club head, as I find it still inspires confidence. I'm actually travelling in South America right now for work, but my wife was kind enough to let me know they showed up at the house this week and sent me a picture. I can't wait to get back and get them out on the course!

I got fit for the Apex Pro's last month and absolutely loved them. I am coming out of G20's and wanted to move to a players iron that still offered a little bit of forgiveness. I loved the way they looked at address and I'm a fan of the smaller club head, as I find it still inspires confidence. I'm actually travelling in South America right now for work, but my wife was kind enough to let me know they showed up at the house this week and sent me a picture. I can't wait to get back and get them out on the course!

The fact that your wife unboxed them, put them in your bag, and sent you a picture is awesome. Sweet sticks too.

The fact that your wife unboxed them, put them in your bag, and sent you a picture is awesome. Sweet sticks too.

Amen to that. BTW.....does she have a sister?

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Agreed...I definitely married up!

And even in descending order!

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
Cobra F8 3w w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange
Callaway Rogue 5w w/ Oban Isawa Red
Titleist 818 H1 hybrid w/ Oban Isawa Red
Srixon z765 5-pw w/ Steelfiber
Vokey SM7 52F, 56F, 60K w/ Steelfiber
PXG Darkness Gunboat

Ha, I didn’t even notice that...I guess I owe her something nice from my trip

Ha, I didn't even notice that...I guess I owe her something nice from my trip

I have a feeling the toiletries from the hotel are not going to measure up.

Ha, I didn't even notice that...I guess I owe her something nice from my trip

I have a feeling the toiletries from the hotel are not going to measure up.

They're really nice toiletries though...who wouldn't want an exfoliating mask, nail file and sewing kit. On second thought, a bottle of Chilean wine might be better!