Mizuno ST 180 Driver

13»

Comments

• JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members  1907WRX Points: 182Posts: 1,907 Platinum Tees
    kess13 wrote:

tsecor wrote:

how is the head forgiving? in what way?

I was getting solid distance away from center of the face and nothing drifted far off line except when my swing was to blame. Caught a couple thin and it might be one of the most forgiving low on the face I've hit. My miss tends to be vertical. I reserve final comments until I get a few rounds in with a shaft I like.

Having gamed an M4 all season to some success I came across a review of the ST180 and my bag OCD (MP18 Fli-Hi 3 iron,JPX900 irons, s18 wedges) kicked in and I had to get this and the fairway (my poor credit card).

Had the ST180 on course yesterday for 15 holes for the first time and I'm not sure what to make of it just yet. In my rush to get it I took with standard CK orange (CK blue XStiff arrives Tuesday) and had mixed results.

First 10 holes or so I absolutely crushed compared to the M4 (hit two balls off the tee) and using my Bushnell the GPS stepped out the difference between 17-22 yards. That's absolutely crazy! Being 3/4 of an inch shorter than my M4 it felt weird although I could feel myself powering through every drive with the ST180.

I then hit a few holes were I hit the ball thin but what looked dangerously short drives when I walked up there it was still within a few yards of the M4.

Last three holes I struggled as I caught the ball high on the toe and the carry dropped right off and the ball fell out the air right barely making 200 yards and that is a monumental loss of distance for me.

I'm hoping that the correct shaft will do the trick when it arrives on Tuesday. In the meantime I'm going to put it in the bag for tomorrow's league match and see if I'm still competitive over the course of a round.

Did anyone else struggle with high toe hits? And my fairway arrives later today has anyone experienced that? Curious as to what I should expect as it was the one club I couldn't get a head to test so bought blind.

Thanks!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers  8285WRX Points: 406Handicap: ScotchPosts: 8,285 Titanium Tees
    Wait till you hit the ST-190?! Way better vs. 180. Better sound, feel and performance for me. Even the fairways are awesome! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    G410 LST 3W Tour stiff
    G410 4H Tour stiff
    i210 5-UW Modus 105 stiff
    Glide 3.0 56* Modus 105 stiff
    TM Soto
    Tour Response yellow

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • kiw1982kiw1982 Williamsburg, VAMembers  1238WRX Points: 161Handicap: 7Posts: 1,238 Platinum Tees
    In the same boat.

ST180 driver and 3 wood

clk hybrid

mp33

t7 54

s5 60

and even a Mizzy putter.

I had bunch of different full bag of a certain brand but this time is the strongest.
    Posted:
    Cobra                    F9 9.0 Driver w/HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.0
    Titleist                   TS2 16.5 Wood w/HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    Ping                       G410 19 Hybrid w/Tensei Blue 80 stiff
    Titleist                   818 H2 23 Hybrid w/Tensei Blue 80 stiff
    Mizuno                  MP-32 5-P Iron set w/DG S300
    Ping                       Glide 2.0 52/56/60 Wedges w/AWT 2.0
    Nike                       EverClear E11 Putter 
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members  1907WRX Points: 182Posts: 1,907 Platinum Tees

kess13 wrote:

tsecor wrote:

I was getting solid distance away from center of the face and nothing drifted far off line except when my swing was to blame. Caught a couple thin and it might be one of the most forgiving low on the face I've hit. My miss tends to be vertical. I reserve final comments until I get a few rounds in with a shaft I like.

Having gamed an M4 all season to some success I came across a review of the ST180 and my bag OCD (MP18 Fli-Hi 3 iron,JPX900 irons, s18 wedges) kicked in and I had to get this and the fairway (my poor credit card).

Had the ST180 on course yesterday for 15 holes for the first time and I'm not sure what to make of it just yet. In my rush to get it I took with standard CK orange (CK blue XStiff arrives Tuesday) and had mixed results.

First 10 holes or so I absolutely crushed compared to the M4 (hit two balls off the tee) and using my Bushnell the GPS stepped out the difference between 17-22 yards. That's absolutely crazy! Being 3/4 of an inch shorter than my M4 it felt weird although I could feel myself powering through every drive with the ST180.

I then hit a few holes were I hit the ball thin but what looked dangerously short drives when I walked up there it was still within a few yards of the M4.

Last three holes I struggled as I caught the ball high on the toe and the carry dropped right off and the ball fell out the air right barely making 200 yards and that is a monumental loss of distance for me.

I'm hoping that the correct shaft will do the trick when it arrives on Tuesday. In the meantime I'm going to put it in the bag for tomorrow's league match and see if I'm still competitive over the course of a round.

Did anyone else struggle with high toe hits? And my fairway arrives later today has anyone experienced that? Curious as to what I should expect as it was the one club I couldn't get a head to test so bought blind.

Thanks!

No one else had similar up and downs initially with this driver?
    Posted:
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members  5760WRX Points: 342Handicap: 8Posts: 5,760 Titanium Tees
    Once I got mine all setup with the Kai'Li 70 X, I played 2 rounds comparing it to my F7 / Copperhead 70 TX combo. They were neck & neck all through both rounds. working the ball was simple enough. Sound is loud with a harder ball, but pleasing with a soft ball. I believe a tad more hotmelt in the proper location is needed. It will be replacing the JPX 850 driver in my all Mizzy bag.

BT
    Posted:
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • BohsauceyBohsaucey Members  120WRX Points: 50Handicap: +1Posts: 120 Fairways

kess13 wrote:

tsecor wrote:

Thanks!

No one else had similar up and downs initially with this driver?

High center toe strikes is my problem with it not enough spin so it dives out of the air, but that is more me than anything. Just need to shift my strike position.
    Posted:
    PING - G400
    TourEdge - XCG3 3w
    Nike - VRS Covert 5w
    PING - G30 7w
    Callaway - Apex UT 21
    PING - G400 6-PW
    Callaway - 54,60 MD4
    Callaway - PM 64
    Bettinardi - BB1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.