2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Srixon 2019

deep18

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I loved the xv. It feels like the new version launches higher and Im getting less distance with everything. Perhaps Im getting older and slower...anyone else?

No such issues for me. Ball flys beautifully with no distance issues.

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

I'm not seeing a big difference between the 17' and the 19'. I don't find the new version to feel much softer but I never thought the 17' felt firm.

To me, it just has a different sound. The 19' might be a little less clicky off the putter. Otherwise, very similar. Which is a good thing for me.

Last year I loved the xv. It feels like the new version launches higher and Im getting less distance with everything. Perhaps Im getting older and slower...anyone else?

Definitely a higher launching ball. I noticed it playing last week. Not sure I lost distance but I was surprised at how high the XV was. The durability was not as good as previous generations. I played the 17 Z-Star all winter and it was very durable. These reminded me of the TM TP5x on the durability scale.

Definitely a higher launching ball. I noticed it playing last week. Not sure I lost distance but I was surprised at how high the XV was. The durability was not as good as previous generations. I played the 17 Z-Star all winter and it was very durable. These reminded me of the TM TP5x on the durability scale.

Interesting to hear someone else confirm this. I played the new XV yesterday and have played XV for 2.5 years.

New XV is softer feeling as promised off putter and chipping and flies just a hair higher but WAY less durable. Cover looking clearly worn after 8 or 9 holes. Completely agree it reminds me of how bad the TP5’s are in that respect. You just look at a TP5 funny and it scuffs.

I was going to post a picture but of course it vanished in the right rough on 18. Very wet. I liked it Just fine other than the durability issue.

Glad I have 20 dozen of last years XV stockpiled.

Interesting to hear someone else confirm this. I played the new XV yesterday and have played XV for 2.5 years.

New XV is softer feeling as promised off putter and chipping and flies just a hair higher but WAY less durable. Cover looking clearly worn after 8 or 9 holes. Completely agree it reminds me of how bad the TP5’s are in that respect. You just look at a TP5 funny and it scuffs.

I was going to post a picture but of course it vanished in the right rough on 18. Very wet. I liked it Just fine other than the durability issue.

Glad I have 20 dozen of last years XV stockpiled.

I mentioned this as well. That being said for the price at less than $20 a dozen I have no complaints and also I tend to lose a ball or two during a round so not a major factory.

I did play an entire 18 with the new XV and as mentioned after the front 9 it was showing about a full rounds worth of wear of the previous model.

I wouldn’t say the durability is horrible , but more on par with some other brands and not the usual Srixon toughness. Spin around the green is better if you need it so there is an upside for the short game.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Last week I stocked up on the Z Star Performance packs and bough everything they had at the store. But I also decided to buy one 6 pack of the XV. I’ve always stayed away from X version balls because my expectation is that they are way too firm for my liking. But this time I said what the heck. You won’t know until I try.

Saturday I played 9 holes with the 2019 XV and I was surprised. First of all it was softer than I imagined it would be. The distance was great and the trajectory was high but not as high as the QStar Tour. The course was wet so every shot I hit plugged and had zero roll. This is how I was able to tell that the carry distances were really good.

Then I played 8 holes with the Snell Black and to be honest it didn’t feel softer than the XV. They felt the same in terms of firmness. This was also a surprise to me. The Snell was also great but that’s a different story.

Then I went back to the XV on the 18th hole. Great distance with the driver. Great 7 iron into the green that only rolled out about 1 foot. Overall good feel with the putter. One more thing. On the 18th hole I had a chance to do a lot of chipping and pitching since the group behind me was 2 holes back and the XV was really good.

Will I play this again? Yes but I hear the regular Z Star is even softer and will probably suit me even better. Besides I have 11 performance packs in my inventory of the regular Z Star.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Played 9 holes with the 19 Z Star in 39-40 degree weather. Have a stock pile of 14 dozen 17 zstars.

I am gonna have a hard time not making the switch. 19 Z Star has a better compression feel on irons, is longer in general, and the cover is built like a cowhide.

This reminds me when they jumped from the Z urs to the z Star.

There is something about that serm...

Played 9 holes with the 19 Z Star in 39-40 degree weather. Have a stock pile of 14 dozen 17 zstars.

I am gonna have a hard time not making the switch. 19 Z Star has a better compression feel on irons, is longer in general, and the cover is built like a cowhide.

Great info.

I double checked and the previous Z Stars I wasn't impressed with were in fact the 17. I got my hands on a performance pack of the Z and can't wait to try them. Really think this might be my main ball in 2019.

I know you were playing in cold weather, but could you tell anything about the short game spin with the 19 vs the 17? That's the most important thing to be besides soft feel.

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV

Great info.

I double checked and the previous Z Stars I wasn't impressed with were in fact the 17. I got my hands on a performance pack of the Z and can't wait to try them. Really think this might be my main ball in 2019.

I know you were playing in cold weather, but could you tell anything about the short game spin with the 19 vs the 17? That's the most important thing to be besides soft feel.

I felt like the 19s spin more which is consistent with the higher launch most people are seeing. Approach and green side shots stopped in a hurry. I usually have a hop and stop approach in and these are stopping a tad quicker. On green side shots, i was frustrated these were not running out as much as what i was used to with the 17s....not sure if it was the ball or the brand new wedge grooves.

Great info.

I felt like the 19s spin more which is consistent with the higher launch most people are seeing. Approach and green side shots stopped in a hurry. I usually have a hop and stop approach in and these are stopping a tad quicker. On green side shots, i was frustrated these were not running out as much as what i was used to with the 17s....not sure if it was the ball or the brand new wedge grooves.

I felt the same. Quicker stop, similar to z star. But the launch is very high, I had to change my ball position and tee height.

I've got 2 rounds in with the 19 z stars and find them to be excellent around the greens and easily spin wedges back 2 feet from pitch mark and stop on full 100-125 shots .7 irons hit and stop as well ( same experience I've had w xvs last 3 years) Played xvs last 7 years and although I have 4 new dozen of xvs waiting for warmer weather thinking now I should have gotten all z stars. Great ball and durability for me is similar to last year. 18 holes and no scuffs what so ever.

If the new XV does play a touch softer and has a little more bite bringing it closer to the Star, its gonna be perfect and will continue to be in my bag.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Finally got out with a new Z Star yesterday. I was hitting the ball very poorly, overall. Not a good ball-striking day. Probably due to general fatigue. whatever. I did note that this Z Star seemed long off the irons. A couple times I went "wtf?..." and paced off how much further the ball went vs. what I'd normally expect.

• 2 weeks later...

> @BeerPerHole said:

> Finally got out with a new Z Star yesterday. I was hitting the ball very poorly, overall. Not a good ball-striking day. Probably due to general fatigue. whatever. I did note that this Z Star seemed long off the irons. A couple times I went "wtf?..." and paced off how much further the ball went vs. what I'd normally expect.

I haven't given the '19 Xv any playing time yet, but the '19 Z-Star is very long. I have been getting extra distance on full wedges with great stopping power.

Small adjustments to be made but it's a fantastic ball. I'm not even sure if I need the XV, and I'm on the high end of the ball speed range.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I was able to play a round with the XV this past week (finally). I was traveling, so I played in Palm Desert, whereas I normally play in Colorado, so it was hard to tell if there was any difference in distance. I did have the chance to play both the 17 and 19 a few times from the same spot/off the tee, though and considering quality of strike they were both pretty similar in terms of distance and trajectory--nothing more than a couple yards here or there and nothing noticeable as far as trajectory goes with the naked eye. I noticed the biggest difference in sound/feel and spin around the greens. The 19 definitely feels a touch softer and sounds less clicky off the clubface and spins a bit more on pitches and chips. I hit a few that bit much more quickly than I anticipated, which isn't a bad thing, just something to practice and get used to. The durability wasn't that big of an issue, though the 19 was slightly less durable. I played the whole round with one ball, and it did show signs of wear but not enough to affect performance. I would still rate the durability as above average, but definitely less durable compared to the '17. I feel like a lot of people have made a big deal about the durability, which is understandable when going from maybe the most durable ball possible in the '17 to something less durable, it seems like a huge difference. But, I would still say it's more durable than the TP5s ('17/'18 version, can't speak to the newer one), and more durable than any ProV I've played over the years.

Overall, the '19 offered more spin and felt softer, but distances were similar. This isn't a drastically different golf ball compared to the '17 so I will make the switch when my stock of '17s runs out, as there's nothing in the new ball that is head and shoulders different in terms of performance upgrades.