Freddie on Feherty

sfehlman22

I'm a big fan of Freddie. Really enjoyed Part 1 last night.

I really liked the golf shirt he was wearing. Does anyone know what brand it was? It looked perfect to wear to the office in the summer.

Freddy has a lifetime clothing contract with Ashworth. Hw has always worn classy shirts from them.

Lifetime Contract?

Fred and several other golfers (with an appetite for stock incentives) made Ashworth a brand. In 1987 Ashworth sales were less than $400K, forward to 1990 they were approaching $17M. Fred has a lifetime endorsement agreement, fueled by stock incentives. It's a sweet deal, actually. There is no actual contract to wear the clothing.

He’s wearing gfore now. He spoke about it on his radio show. After ashworth folded the gfore guy approached him and asked him to wear his gear.

I don’t know what he was wearing during the show though.

Ashworth folded? When? They're still being sold today. They were bought by TM Adidas back in 2008 but are still a brand in business.

Edit, I take it back. As my wife would say...I was wrong. :) It's too bad because because it was one of my favorite brands.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitley in the minority here...I thought the two episodes were two of Feherty's worst...I can't exactly put my finger on why though.

To me, Freddie's way of speaking came across very rambling and mono-tone...almost like it had no punctuation. He's not a very good story teller either IMO. I did enjoy some of the "behind the scenes" insight like the caddy switching and how LaCava had to run interference on the range.

I'm a big fan of Freddie's (him and Payne are two of my all time favorites!) but was very disapointed in the shows.

There's no where to hide for big name pro golfers. Crowd is just feet away on tee and greens. Players are close to fans for four hours. No other sport like that.

Couples by many reports is naturally shy. Sometimes shyness comes across as arrogance. Not to defend him, but there are many other pros who do the same as he does.

I followed him for 9 holes back in the early 90s. A couple guys started a conversation with him about baseball. Fred walked right next to the ropes chatting with these guys for about 4 holes.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said “nice shot Freddie” and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone “never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest”. Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said “it’s people like you that make doing this so difficult”. Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though it’s not really legible. Wish I hadn’t because I got Tiger’s too and would probably be worth something without Freddie’s scribble on it.

The guy who said that sounds like the guy who says "good ball" the second it leaves the club on every shot. Drives me crazy. I hit a 40-yard slice "Good ball!" No No it isn't...

Exactly. And I’m pretty sure Freddy has never used the word “ascertain”.

I'm willing to bet a c note he, at the very least, did not use it in the heat of a tournament.

Been following him since 1995. He's done a ton of interviews. Never heard a peep about any of this.

I'm sure he isn't a saint. We all have our days. He's had a few failed relationships, especially while being #1 in the world. Maybe he was grumpy about that? He had a long time finance pass away; again, maybe he wasn't feeling too chipper those days.

But at the end of the day, we the fans are at his place of business. He's playing golf, very highly competitive golf. He isn't running for office. If he doesn't want to be your friend, get over it.

I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said nice shot Freddie and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest. Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said its people like you that make doing this so difficult. Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though its not really legible. Wish I hadnt because I got Tigers too and would probably be worth something without Freddies scribble on it.

The guy who said that sounds like the guy who says "good ball" the second it leaves the club on every shot. Drives me crazy. I hit a 40-yard slice "Good ball!" No No it isn't...

Exactly. And Im pretty sure Freddy has never used the word ascertain.

I'm willing to bet a c note he, at the very least, did not use it in the heat of a tournament.

Been following him since 1995. He's done a ton of interviews. Never heard a peep about any of this.

I'm sure he isn't a saint. We all have our days. He's had a few failed relationships, especially while being #1 in the world. Maybe he was grumpy about that? He had a long time finance pass away; again, maybe he wasn't feeling too chipper those days.

But at the end of the day, we the fans are at his place of business. He's playing golf, very highly competitive golf. He isn't running for office. If he doesn't want to be your friend, get over it.

Lol, of course it’s easy to make that bet when you know you can’t lose. It was before phones were allowed on the course.

I really liked the golf shirt he was wearing. Does anyone know what brand it was? It looked perfect to wear to the office in the summer.

Freddy has a lifetime clothing contract with Ashworth. Hw has always worn classy shirts from them.

Lifetime Contract?

Fred and several other golfers (with an appetite for stock incentives) made Ashworth a brand. In 1987 Ashworth sales were less than $400K, forward to 1990 they were approaching $17M. Fred has a lifetime endorsement agreement, fueled by stock incentives. It's a sweet deal, actually. There is no actual contract to wear the clothing.

He’s wearing gfore now. He spoke about it on his radio show. After ashworth folded the gfore guy approached him and asked him to wear his gear.

I don’t know what he was wearing during the show though.

I have yet to see the show, but I believe Ashworth, the man, started up Linksoul.

i was a big fan of Ashworth shirts for a long time. They died a slow death after being bought by TaylorMade and then Adidas acquiring TM. They’ve been gone for a few years now though their surplus is still being sold through various outlets.

I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said "nice shot Freddie" and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone "never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest". Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said "it's people like you that make doing this so difficult". Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though it's not really legible. Wish I hadn't because I got Tiger's too and would probably be worth something without Freddie's scribble on it.

Exactly. And I'm pretty sure Freddy has never used the word "ascertain".

The sentence defines Fred Couples.

Years back, once heard Fred say during an interview when referencing college, "I wasn't much for schoolin."

Ray Floyd comes across as a pretty tough guy. I liked the story about him schooling Seve.

Back when Floyd was first out on Tour he had a reputation as someone who was quick to brawl. Apparently a pretty big partier as well. I've always liked him.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I have always had the theory Fred experienced some arrested development at some point in his life from partaking in an excessive amount of doobage.

I could be wrong, it's just a theory based on some internet rumors, and some people I know who went to the University of Houston.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I have always had the theory Fred experienced some arrested development at some point in his life from partaking in an excessive amount of doobage.

I could be wrong, it's just a theory based on some internet rumors, and some people I know who went to the University of Houston.

I think your theory is correct. If remember correctly Fred stated his favorite hobby is laying on the couch? LOL To all the posters about Fred being a jerk maybe he's just paranoid. :)

for FC stories look up the Colin Montgomerie thread

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1750768-colin-montgomerie/page__st__60

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.

Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.

You hear things about Phil too but I have never witnessed it in person. He may be arrogant and egotistical but you don’t see it in the public eye even if someone says something a little offhanded. I’ve witnessed Freddie do it twice and there was no malice in the comments he responded to. I like watching him play golf but that’s about it. I have his autograph and not sure what the issue would be with anyone getting an autograph.

Another dedicated fan living vicariously through the life of a pro golfer.

Hopefully next week he can ask Davis Love about finding his brother in law dead in a hunting cabin after stealing millions from him? Season finale he can have Ken Green re-create the RV accident that killed his girlfriend?

I had to google the Davis Love thing. I wasn't sure if you were saying Davis was stealing from his bro-in-law or vice versa. For those that don't know, his bro-in-law was accused of stealing from Davis:

http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=1562356

Not to derail this thread regarding DL3 but here is a much better read on DL3 and his BIL.

https://www.golfdige.../verdi_love0401

Whoa! I must've been living under a rock or something back then...I had NO IDEA!

Thank you for posting this!

for FC stories look up the Colin Montgomerie thread

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1750768-colin-montgomerie/page__st__60

Nothing to see people. Basically he's an Word not allowed after a bad round. Well, aren't we all?

And being called a dbag because he still goes by Freddie is a bit extreme.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

just like Ferguson right we know all about you

Hopefully next week he can ask Davis Love about finding his brother in law dead in a hunting cabin after stealing millions from him? Season finale he can have Ken Green re-create the RV accident that killed his girlfriend?

I had to google the Davis Love thing. I wasn't sure if you were saying Davis was stealing from his bro-in-law or vice versa. For those that don't know, his bro-in-law was accused of stealing from Davis:

http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=1562356

Not to derail this thread regarding DL3 but here is a much better read on DL3 and his BIL.

https://www.golfdige.../verdi_love0401

Whoa! I must've been living under a rock or something back then...I had NO IDEA!

Thank you for posting this!

You're welcome. Very good article/interview.

Last, and only, time I ever saw Ray Floyd was about a decade ago at a hot new restaurant in the meatpacking district (Scarpetta?)...I got up to use the loo, and sitting at a large party next to us were Ray Floyd and a very, very tan George Hamilton!

That was one duo I never thought I'd see together...what do I know?

Last, and only, time I ever saw Ray Floyd was about a decade ago at a hot new restaurant in the meatpacking district (Scarpetta?)...I got up to use the loo, and sitting at a large party next to us were Ray Floyd and a very, very tan George Hamilton!

That was one duo I never thought I'd see together...what do I know?

I bet Floyd ran with the Rat Pack back in the day.