Honest Review of my PXG Experience

RN4LGolfer

I'd be willing to bet that if you put the shaft you demo'd and hit well with PXG into your fitters CPM machine that it would also be on the low end of women's flex.

Lmao, sorry that's an asinine statement since I've already stated that the shafts in my irons performed nowhere near to the shafts I tested and was apparent right away. Just goes to prove that unless you test the shaft, it doesn't matter what the manufacture prints on the shaft as far as flex goes.

Unfortunately you're incorrect. It's tough to follow what you're saying when you're this uninformed.

It was in my OP, that I knew after I received them that I could tell they weren't the flex I was fitted for. Maybe the post was too long.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

Thumbs up here for D'Lance as they have been my go to for over 10 years. And fitted my Gen1 irons in 2016, and still gamming.

Wonder why you ddn't go to them for the Gen 2s if you had a lifetime fitting? Live & Learn

I got suckered, and it was a chance meeting. Day Gen2's hit the market I ran into the PXG sales staff at Fossil Trace, and they sold me on their fitting process w/Trackman and built to the specs from my fitting, and the large selection of shafts to chose from with no upcharge. I thought wow that's great, sounds just like my fitting at D'Lance. Live and learn.

Hate to hear this. I wanna love these guys for their military support but it seems to be more negative than positive at this point. I’ve dipped my toes in the water on some of their stuff and can’t complain but would like to see PXG iron these problems out.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

I think the bottom line is when you purchase something marketed and sold as an ultra premium product you expect a higher level of attention to detail because the seller wants you to believe that. In this case you have a mfr who doesn't sell off the rack and only through fittings. I think its only natural to expect that the correct flex will be delivered (and checked beforehand). That goes not only for PXG but I would also say someone who gets fit at Club Champion for Titleist. The brand doesn't really matter, its the level of service expectation that comes with what is being sold.

Wow someone who actually gets it. .

This "fitter" could have written the order up wrong for all we know, and without a receipt how would they know? Also, you were fit from a mobile van, right after someone who was finishing their $5K PXG experience?? Was this in AZ or not?

No, they (PXG) never tested the shafts and from doing a previous fitting many years ago I was shown and told that most shaft manufactures stated flex's can vastly differ. Meaning it may say "regular" but not actually be a regular flex shaft. To give another example, a Callaway Epic driver I had bought off the rack had a "Stiff" flex shaft, but when tested was actually on the high end of an X-Stiff flex.

Sorry if I wasn't clear regarding meeting another person at my fitting. This was the fitting at D'Lance when I decided to have my Gen2's checked out and fitted then for the correct flex shaft. He too was having his Gen2's refitted due to the irons he received from PXG didn't perform the same way as his fitting with PXG, same issue as me. I think it goes to show that the issue is with them not testing the clubs they build. It doesn't take that long to test a shaft to see if the flex printed on the shaft is actually correct. Like someone previously commented, when the clubs aren't available off the rack, only through a fitting process, you expect them to test the clubs to make sure you're getting what you bought.

Do you think they installed something else and put the wrong shaft label on it? Does the step pattern on the two shafts match up? Trying to figure out how you ended up with the wrong shaft but needed a CPM test to figure it out...not taking a side just curious OP about where you think the mistake happened?

From talking to my fitter this is common problem with shaft manufactures. They're massed produced and even though they may be manufacturing "regular" flex shafts that day, what actually gets produced can vary and not actually what's labeled on the shaft. If I had bought a set of irons off the rack at Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore and the flex of the shafts were off I wouldn't be surprised. But when you have to go through a fitting to purchase these irons, you'd expect them to test the shafts as they're building them. From what my fitter told me, this isn't some big secret that only a select few know that shaft manufactures can have shafts labeled one flex but if you test them could be something different. They all have tolerances in each flex, but my god to have a shaft labeled as a regular and was told by the PXG fitter they'd be a R+ and then have them tested and it comes back on the low-end of a women's flex is crazy. Like I said in OP, I could tell as soon as I got them from PXG and played them on the course that they performed nothing like my fitting.

I'm not quite sure why you paid extra to have the correct flex shafts installed, I would have been pounding on Parson's door to correct the mistake, especially at the price point you paid

After sending multiple texts to each PXG person I dealt with, and got zero response it was frustrating. But you're right I probably should've just kept being a pain in the a**

I have reshafted irons many many times, and dealt with numerous sets of shafts........never once have I had anything near this occur. Im pretty surprised you then shelled out even MORE money to fix their botch lol.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I'm not quite sure why you paid extra to have the correct flex shafts installed, I would have been pounding on Parson's door to correct the mistake, especially at the price point you paid

After sending multiple texts to each PXG person I dealt with, and got zero response it was frustrating. But you're right I probably should've just kept being a pain in the a**

I personally wouldn't drop it. I would call them directly and ask to be reimbursed and give them the data from your local fitter. Probably need to call them directly and not the dead beat rep who did the fitting.

Sorry but I just don’t buy it. Maybe it wasn’t evident from my previous posts, but testing with a frequency machine isn’t accomplishing what you think it is. “Testing” your shafts in the manner you’ve explained isn’t conclusive evidence because all it does is give you an idea of the butt stiffness, and there’s different ways to clamp a shaft being “measured” that way which can radically change the results. You’re making it out to be some PSA to “get your shafts tested” but it just doesn’t work that way.

Maybe they were inadvertently soft-stepped (would have to be multiple times). Incorrect labels is possible I guess but that too just doesn’t seem likely. “Measure” a shaft from your set and that exact same shaft model straight out of KBS stock and I’d be very surprised if they were that different (assuming your testing method is done identically).

At the end of the day, go straight to pxg and get someone to resolve this. Not just your fitter or some rep, go up the chain and you’ll find someone who is interested in taking care of your issues.

Sorry to hear but my fitting experience and post fitting experience with the company were the complete opposite. I was told up front there was a back order due to volume of orders once the heroes program was announced and the subsequent 50% for non military/first responders discount.

Any interaction on social media or with messages to the fitter and local rep have been addressed.

I have no idea about what happened with the shafts, whether they were wrong from the jump, a mistake made in assembly, whatever, my problem is that a very high end company won't take the trouble to respond to a customer. For the money, I would expect a perfect build, with great communication, and have the clubs delivered by a unicorn.

Sorry but I just don't buy it. Maybe it wasn't evident from my previous posts, but testing with a frequency machine isn't accomplishing what you think it is. "Testing" your shafts in the manner you've explained isn't conclusive evidence because all it does is give you an idea of the butt stiffness, and there's different ways to clamp a shaft being "measured" that way which can radically change the results. You're making it out to be some PSA to "get your shafts tested" but it just doesn't work that way.

Maybe they were inadvertently soft-stepped (would have to be multiple times). Incorrect labels is possible I guess but that too just doesn't seem likely. "Measure" a shaft from your set and that exact same shaft model straight out of KBS stock and I'd be very surprised if they were that different (assuming your testing method is done identically).

At the end of the day, go straight to pxg and get someone to resolve this. Not just your fitter or some rep, go up the chain and you'll find someone who is interested in taking care of your issues.

Yeah I'm sure that the golf fitter that's been in business for 20+ years and listed by Golf Digest as one of the top fitters in the country is full of crap, lied to me to get my business, and you have more knowledge than them. I'm no engineer, but when I described the issue I was having to the new fitter, that during my PXG fitting I got a nice straight consistent ball flight, and then the irons I receive produce a high hooking ball flight. The "testing", and the "chart" he used confirmed that even though the shaft says "regular" flex on it, the test results proved they weren't regular flex shafts, hence the reason why I was getting the high hooking ball flight. He pulled a regular and stiff flex shaft for my to try, tested them, showed me that they were an actual "reg" and "stiff" flex shaft based on his tests, and guess what? No more high hookers. He even said that they will order shafts from manufactures and test them before they build a iron set or driver because many times they have to send them back. Don't know why that's so hard for you to comprehend or believe. Must be because you have more knowledge in this area.

Did you call them, or just text/email? I may have missed that, but from your recent response it seems like you were texting mostly?

They should have contacted you, no matter the method. But in my experience, I usually have way better luck by calling companies rather than relying on text or email.

Edit: Tom Wishon talks about CPM in several places on here. Here's one of his quotes...

"You might look at the butt stiffness number and say, “That’s a frequency measurement and I know how stiff a 270 cpm shaft plays.” Yes, that butt stiffness number is a frequency measurement. But the problem is you have no idea how these butt frequency measurements were obtained.

What length of the butt was clamped?

How heavy was the tip weight?

Is this 270 cpm frequency the same as a 270 cpm shaft that you played?

Again, there are no standards in the golf industry for shaft frequency measurement so you have no idea if a measurement of say, 270 cpm from this company is equivalent to a measurement of 255 cpm or 265 cpm or whatever cpm using one of the many other types of shaft frequency measurement."

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

I have reshafted irons many many times, and dealt with numerous sets of shafts........never once have I had anything near this occur. Im pretty surprised you then shelled out even MORE money to fix their botch lol.

I did a fitting with Club Champion and didn't have an issue, and a previous with D'Lance with no issue.

Did you call them, or just text/email? I may have missed that, but from your recent response it seems like you were texting mostly?

They should have contacted you, no matter the method. But in my experience, I usually have way better luck by calling companies rather than relying on text or email.

I actually did both. When no one took my call or returned it, I started texting. While I was waiting for my clubs I would eventually get a response to texts, albeit after a couple of texts and days later.

Sorry but I just don't buy it. Maybe it wasn't evident from my previous posts, but testing with a frequency machine isn't accomplishing what you think it is. "Testing" your shafts in the manner you've explained isn't conclusive evidence because all it does is give you an idea of the butt stiffness, and there's different ways to clamp a shaft being "measured" that way which can radically change the results. You're making it out to be some PSA to "get your shafts tested" but it just doesn't work that way.

Maybe they were inadvertently soft-stepped (would have to be multiple times). Incorrect labels is possible I guess but that too just doesn't seem likely. "Measure" a shaft from your set and that exact same shaft model straight out of KBS stock and I'd be very surprised if they were that different (assuming your testing method is done identically).

At the end of the day, go straight to pxg and get someone to resolve this. Not just your fitter or some rep, go up the chain and you'll find someone who is interested in taking care of your issues.

Yeah I'm sure that the golf fitter that's been in business for 20+ years and listed by Golf Digest as one of the top fitters in the country is full of crap, lied to me to get my business, and you have more knowledge than them. I'm no engineer, but when I described the issue I was having to the new fitter, that during my PXG fitting I got a nice straight consistent ball flight, and then the irons I receive produce a high hooking ball flight. The "testing", and the "chart" he used confirmed that even though the shaft says "regular" flex on it, the test results proved they weren't regular flex shafts, hence the reason why I was getting the high hooking ball flight. He pulled a regular and stiff flex shaft for my to try, tested them, showed me that they were an actual "reg" and "stiff" flex shaft based on his tests, and guess what? No more high hookers. He even said that they will order shafts from manufactures and test them before they build a iron set or driver because many times they have to send them back. Don't know why that's so hard for you to comprehend or believe. Must be because you have more knowledge in this area.

By your logic, PXG who is a top manufacturer of golf equipment shouldn’t have gotten the build wrong either? I suppose the articles Tom Wishon has published here on the fallacies of frequency measuring are wrong too.

From your initial post you’ve been on a mission to slam PXG and anyone who suggests an idea different from what you think is the solution or cause of the issue. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Did you ever get that $40 hat? I think if it was me, that would be the thing that grinds my gears the most!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

There’s tons of posts on this forum of people trying out a club in a fitting or store and hitting it amazing. They buy the club go out to the course or range and then struggle with the same club. Rinse and repeat for all the hos here.

When PXG made the demo shaft they likely just glued the stock 7 iron shaft into the adapter. When they made the actual club they did the same thing, just glued the shaft you ordered into the club. Without you testing the demo shaft on the same cpm machine your fitter is using you’ll never know. I doubt, however, that KBS is making a shaft that is 6 or so flex ratings less from one R+ to another. The more likely answer is that shaft has a different profile and is giving an accurate, but different, reading on the cpm machine. As t4t3r mentioned above catch up on some of Tom’s (and Howard’s) posts on here about comparing shafts using cpm ratings.

In doing a search on the forum and based on your story of the guy in front of you at the fitter having the same “over soft” issue, it sounds more like this is just one of the fitter’s main sales pitches. None of what I said exonerates PXG from not following up with and trying to make things right. Your fitter is a PXG authorized fitter. Why didn’t they just contact PXG and try to get them to make things right for you instead of charging you another $600?

I hope you hit em straight and love the rebuilt PXGs.

Just had a friend go through the fitting process for the Heroes program. He ordered 4-LW. They fit him 1/2" over standard. He got the clubs and played 1 round and knew something was off. He got them measured and they were 1/2" under standard. He called immediately and told them what had happened. The sent a call tag, rushed his order and had to completely rebuild his set due to swing weight and lie. He basically got another brand new set. The issue was on their end so it should have been handled this way but still, the customer service was spot on what I would expect from them or any other company.

My experience with PXG recently was great. I ordered a set of the Gen1 irons with custom steelfiber shafts and some other changes and was told up front it would be a 5-6 weeks process. I actually received the clubs in 8 days and just as ordered. I contacted customer service yesterday thru a chat on their website to ask a question on availability and the person was great to deal with, responsive and found out the information I was looking for. I'm sorry you had issues with them, I'd for sure be on the phone with them, customer service is easy to get a hold of and to me very responsive. I also think your clubfitter that reshafted your irons could have reached out to PXG for you and got them to work with you. Hope you can get some satisfaction.

As a side note, I've ordered custom spec'd irons from both Taylormade and Callaway and the lies and lofts have been way off so guess no company is immune to issues.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

OP, how did they test the flex on your clubs? Put it in a clamp and check the CPM's?

Yes that's what they did to test the flex of the shaft. He then took the results of the test and compared it to the manufactures spec's for flexes and showed me that based on the results and the manufactures chart that these were on the low end of the their women's flex shaft, not "regular" flex even though they were marked as "regular".

There's a lot smarter and more knowledgeable people on this board when it comes to shaft flex and CPM but you're only telling how stiff the butt of the shaft is, shafts with stiffer butt sections will show stiffer than a stiffer shaft with a soft butt section, so isn't exactly the most reliable way to determine what the actual flex is.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

OP

My question was this: did your fitting say, as an example, KBS Tgi 90 R+? And then when your clubs arrived they were not the 90 R+'s? Or are you saying you got the correct shafts from your fitting but the flexes were ultra weak?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9