Freddie on Feherty

13

Comments

  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,367 ✭✭
    I'm definitley in the minority here...I thought the two episodes were two of Feherty's worst...I can't exactly put my finger on why though.



    To me, Freddie's way of speaking came across very rambling and mono-tone...almost like it had no punctuation. He's not a very good story teller either IMO. I did enjoy some of the "behind the scenes" insight like the caddy switching and how LaCava had to run interference on the range.



    I'm a big fan of Freddie's (him and Payne are two of my all time favorites!) but was very disapointed in the shows.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,557 ✭✭
    There's no where to hide for big name pro golfers. Crowd is just feet away on tee and greens. Players are close to fans for four hours. No other sport like that.



    Couples by many reports is naturally shy. Sometimes shyness comes across as arrogance. Not to defend him, but there are many other pros who do the same as he does.



    I followed him for 9 holes back in the early 90s. A couple guys started a conversation with him about baseball. Fred walked right next to the ropes chatting with these guys for about 4 holes.
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,687 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:


    BiggErn wrote:


    I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said “nice shot Freddie” and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone “never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest”. Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said “it’s people like you that make doing this so difficult”. Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though it’s not really legible. Wish I hadn’t because I got Tiger’s too and would probably be worth something without Freddie’s scribble on it.




    The guy who said that sounds like the guy who says "good ball" the second it leaves the club on every shot. Drives me crazy. I hit a 40-yard slice "Good ball!" No No it isn't...




    Exactly. And I’m pretty sure Freddy has never used the word “ascertain”.




    I'm willing to bet a c note he, at the very least, did not use it in the heat of a tournament.



    Been following him since 1995. He's done a ton of interviews. Never heard a peep about any of this.



    I'm sure he isn't a saint. We all have our days. He's had a few failed relationships, especially while being #1 in the world. Maybe he was grumpy about that? He had a long time finance pass away; again, maybe he wasn't feeling too chipper those days.



    But at the end of the day, we the fans are at his place of business. He's playing golf, very highly competitive golf. He isn't running for office. If he doesn't want to be your friend, get over it.

    Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:


    BiggErn wrote:


    I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said “nice shot Freddie” and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone “never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest”. Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said “it’s people like you that make doing this so difficult”. Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though it’s not really legible. Wish I hadn’t because I got Tiger’s too and would probably be worth something without Freddie’s scribble on it.




    The guy who said that sounds like the guy who says "good ball" the second it leaves the club on every shot. Drives me crazy. I hit a 40-yard slice "Good ball!" No No it isn't...




    Exactly. And I’m pretty sure Freddy has never used the word “ascertain”.




    I'm willing to bet a c note he, at the very least, did not use it in the heat of a tournament.



    Been following him since 1995. He's done a ton of interviews. Never heard a peep about any of this.



    I'm sure he isn't a saint. We all have our days. He's had a few failed relationships, especially while being #1 in the world. Maybe he was grumpy about that? He had a long time finance pass away; again, maybe he wasn't feeling too chipper those days.



    But at the end of the day, we the fans are at his place of business. He's playing golf, very highly competitive golf. He isn't running for office. If he doesn't want to be your friend, get over it.




    Lol, of course it’s easy to make that bet when you know you can’t lose. It was before phones were allowed on the course.
  • dcfasdcfas Tempus Fugit Members Posts: 860 ✭✭
    jonflesh wrote:

    Ferguson wrote:
    AmazinBlue wrote:



    I'm a big fan of Freddie. Really enjoyed Part 1 last night.



    I really liked the golf shirt he was wearing. Does anyone know what brand it was? It looked perfect to wear to the office in the summer.
    Freddy has a lifetime clothing contract with Ashworth. Hw has always worn classy shirts from them.






    Lifetime Contract?



    Fred and several other golfers (with an appetite for stock incentives) made Ashworth a brand. In 1987 Ashworth sales were less than $400K, forward to 1990 they were approaching $17M. Fred has a lifetime endorsement agreement, fueled by stock incentives. It's a sweet deal, actually. There is no actual contract to wear the clothing.




    He’s wearing gfore now. He spoke about it on his radio show. After ashworth folded the gfore guy approached him and asked him to wear his gear.



    I don’t know what he was wearing during the show though.


    I have yet to see the show, but I believe Ashworth, the man, started up Linksoul.
  • eacsgolferdadeacsgolferdad Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:



    I'm a big fan of Freddie. Really enjoyed Part 1 last night.



    I really liked the golf shirt he was wearing. Does anyone know what brand it was? It looked perfect to wear to the office in the summer.
    Freddy has a lifetime clothing contract with Ashworth. Hw has always worn classy shirts from them.
    i was a big fan of Ashworth shirts for a long time. They died a slow death after being bought by TaylorMade and then Adidas acquiring TM. They’ve been gone for a few years now though their surplus is still being sold through various outlets.
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,675 ✭✭
    Ray Floyd comes across as a pretty tough guy. I liked the story about him schooling Seve.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:


    BiggErn wrote:


    I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said "nice shot Freddie" and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone "never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest". Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said "it's people like you that make doing this so difficult". Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though it's not really legible. Wish I hadn't because I got Tiger's too and would probably be worth something without Freddie's scribble on it.




    The guy who said that sounds like the guy who says "good ball" the second it leaves the club on every shot. Drives me crazy. I hit a 40-yard slice "Good ball!" No No it isn't...




    Exactly. And I'm pretty sure Freddy has never used the word "ascertain".






    The sentence defines Fred Couples.







    Years back, once heard Fred say during an interview when referencing college, "I wasn't much for schoolin."
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,332 ✭✭


    Ray Floyd comes across as a pretty tough guy. I liked the story about him schooling Seve.




    Back when Floyd was first out on Tour he had a reputation as someone who was quick to brawl. Apparently a pretty big partier as well. I've always liked him.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,131 ✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2019 9:53am #71
    I have always had the theory Fred experienced some arrested development at some point in his life from partaking in an excessive amount of doobage.



    I could be wrong, it's just a theory based on some internet rumors, and some people I know who went to the University of Houston.

    Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • rightslicerightslice Members Posts: 151 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:


    I have always had the theory Fred experienced some arrested development at some point in his life from partaking in an excessive amount of doobage.



    I could be wrong, it's just a theory based on some internet rumors, and some people I know who went to the University of Houston.




    I think your theory is correct. If remember correctly Fred stated his favorite hobby is laying on the couch? LOL To all the posters about Fred being a jerk maybe he's just paranoid. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,857 ✭✭
    for FC stories look up the Colin Montgomerie thread



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1750768-colin-montgomerie/page__st__60
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Couples1Couples1 Members Posts: 150
    Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Couples1 wrote:
    Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.




    You hear things about Phil too but I have never witnessed it in person. He may be arrogant and egotistical but you don’t see it in the public eye even if someone says something a little offhanded. I’ve witnessed Freddie do it twice and there was no malice in the comments he responded to. I like watching him play golf but that’s about it. I have his autograph and not sure what the issue would be with anyone getting an autograph.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    Couples1 wrote:


    Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.
    Couples1 wrote:


    Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.






    Another dedicated fan living vicariously through the life of a pro golfer.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    Couples1 wrote:


    Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.




    Another dedicated fan living vicariously through the life of a pro golfer.
  • KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,367 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

    chigolfer1 wrote:



    Hopefully next week he can ask Davis Love about finding his brother in law dead in a hunting cabin after stealing millions from him? Season finale he can have Ken Green re-create the RV accident that killed his girlfriend?




    I had to google the Davis Love thing. I wasn't sure if you were saying Davis was stealing from his bro-in-law or vice versa. For those that don't know, his bro-in-law was accused of stealing from Davis:



    http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=1562356
    Not to derail this thread regarding DL3 but here is a much better read on DL3 and his BIL.



    https://www.golfdige.../verdi_love0401




    Whoa! I must've been living under a rock or something back then...I had NO IDEA!



    Thank you for posting this!
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭


    Ray Floyd comes across as a pretty tough guy. I liked the story about him schooling Seve.






    Ray was fierce. From an article back in 92.



    https://www.washingt...m=.7ed1ff03cbeb







  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,716 ClubWRX
    Ray Floyd - now there's an interesting man!



    Couples - just never got the hype.
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,687 ✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2019 7:55pm #81
    cardoustie wrote:


    for FC stories look up the Colin Montgomerie thread



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1750768-colin-montgomerie/page__st__60




    Nothing to see people. Basically he's an a$$ after a bad round. Well, aren't we all?



    And being called a **** because he still goes by Freddie is a bit extreme.



    But hey, different strokes for different folks.

    Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

  • Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Members Posts: 631 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

    Couples1 wrote:


    Fred's naturally shy and moody. He gets tired of the fan fare, he is not Phil, so deal with it. Though in my two interactions with him at events, he was pleasant, cool, and gracious and more than accommodating to my kids.Even allowing them to walk up from green to the next tee with him. This after I said ' guys get back here ' ... Fred said they are fine' and made small talk with them. They loved it, my youngest even started walking like Fred and never plays without a visor LOL . One thing for sure, Fred does not like adults asking for autographs and rightfully so.




    Another dedicated fan living vicariously through the life of a pro golfer.
    just like Ferguson right we know all about you
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,453 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:
    Loved the interview. His first wife committed suicide - no humor there. His second died from cancer. No humor there, either. A couple fun facts. His favorite tour restaurant is In and Out burger. And his favorite tour guys to play with, Love, Norman, and Faldo.




    Norman and Faldo... interesting.
  • Ronnie MundtRonnie Mundt Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Grown men asking for autographs is lame. Good for Freddie for pointing that out.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,116 ✭✭
    KaTooM wrote:

    grm24 wrote:

    chigolfer1 wrote:



    Hopefully next week he can ask Davis Love about finding his brother in law dead in a hunting cabin after stealing millions from him? Season finale he can have Ken Green re-create the RV accident that killed his girlfriend?




    I had to google the Davis Love thing. I wasn't sure if you were saying Davis was stealing from his bro-in-law or vice versa. For those that don't know, his bro-in-law was accused of stealing from Davis:



    http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=1562356
    Not to derail this thread regarding DL3 but here is a much better read on DL3 and his BIL.



    https://www.golfdige.../verdi_love0401




    Whoa! I must've been living under a rock or something back then...I had NO IDEA!



    Thank you for posting this!
    You're welcome. Very good article/interview.
  • StonedudeStonedude Members Posts: 16 ✭✭


    Grown men asking for autographs is lame. Good for Freddie for pointing that out.








    Yep, couldn't agree more. Actually I put the person who would ask into another category, definitely lose some or all dude status.
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 768 ✭✭
    Funny....reading through these threads....some of the biggest egotistical douches on this site are the ones throwing the stones.
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Last, and only, time I ever saw Ray Floyd was about a decade ago at a hot new restaurant in the meatpacking district (Scarpetta?)...I got up to use the loo, and sitting at a large party next to us were Ray Floyd and a very, very tan George Hamilton!



    That was one duo I never thought I'd see together...what do I know?
  • AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    manku wrote:


    Last, and only, time I ever saw Ray Floyd was about a decade ago at a hot new restaurant in the meatpacking district (Scarpetta?)...I got up to use the loo, and sitting at a large party next to us were Ray Floyd and a very, very tan George Hamilton!



    That was one duo I never thought I'd see together...what do I know?




    I bet Floyd ran with the Rat Pack back in the day.
  • Couples1Couples1 Members Posts: 150
    edited Mar 11, 2019 1:40pm #90
    No just a guy talking about watching a pro golfer with his kids
  • OLD_BONESOLD_BONES PingMan Chico, CAClubWRX Posts: 1,804 ✭✭
    One of my all time favorite golfers. Jerk or not I wish I could have that man's swing. Poetry in motion ~
Sign In or Register to comment.