Interesting Tournament GIfts

Pretty simple topic.

I've worked in the industry for 15 years as everything from a range attendant to a professional, which is the position that I currently hold at my club. I'm looking for fresh, unique and/or interesting ideas for tee gifts for a few of my member tournaments this coming season.

My professional staff and I feel like between the 3 of us, we've exhausted the good ideas that we've seen used elsewhere that would also work at our current club. Does anyone have a tee gift that they remember getting that really made an impression on them? I don't want to hear about the dozen ProV's and whatever other common stuff you've received multiple times.

Any ideas are useful though, so if there is something that you have gotten or seen that is simple or basic but you feel leaves an impression, I'm open to that too.

Throw the ideas out there. Again, anything is helpful. Pictures would be great if you have them too, as would any links to websites that may help guide my search.

Thank you for any input you can offer in advance.

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

At one tournament last year we got picnic baskets and blankets - both were made by local brands and branded with the tournament sponsor. That being said I probably would've preferred a dozen logo balls...

Yea, That's kind of what I'm getting at. I see a lot of interesting idea for gifts out there that I don't think would be received very well by members and/or guests. That's why II'm hoping someone in this forum will have gotten something that floored them. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you for your input.

Taylor Made TP5 PIX

Course or tournament branded flasks; rocks glasses could both be cool.

Did leather wrapped flasks last year. Sell rocks, wine and martini glasses in my shop and 60% of my membership already owns them all.But yes, both are incredibly popular at my club and I would 100% do that if so many of the members hadn't already purchased them from me.

Starting to understand why I'm having to rack my brain over this?

Taylor Made TP5 PIX

I played in a one day member guest and one of the gifts was a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They had a rep from the company there and I was able to choose from 1 of 6 or 7 different styles. It’s still one of the best gifts I received.

I also played at a member guest at Trump National and received a single fold leather garment / suit cover with the club logo. Another great gift I use all the time when I travel for business.

I’m not sure of your price point but both of those were great gifts I use all the time.

• Thanks 1

I played in a one day member guest and one of the gifts was a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They had a rep from the company there and I was able to choose from 1 of 6 or 7 different styles. It’s still one of the best gifts I received.

I also played at a member guest at Trump National and received a single fold leather garment / suit cover with the club logo. Another great gift I use all the time when I travel for business.

I’m not sure of your price point but both of those were great gifts I use all the time.

I've been looking at doing something with someone like Maui Jim. We did a Stitch garment bag that rolls into a small overnight bag last year and it went over well. Again, thanks for the input. Helps reaffirm some of the ideas I've been thinking about.

Taylor Made TP5 PIX

One small thing that our club did last year was custom ball markers. On the first tee they had a guy with an actual anvil that would punch in anything the guest wanted into a cool brass looking ball mark. The other side had our club logo. It was a small thing but everyone thought it was pretty cool. We have had custom belts, footjoy sandals, sunglasses, wind shirts, etc. Sometimes something less expensive but personalized and cool is just as good.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Nicest one I have been to had choices for several different options from Peter Millar. I went with the option that included a pair of GFore split toe Gallivanters and a Peter Millar polo with the club logo. There were also luggage options as well as different types of clothing. On the last day of the tournament there was a box for each player in the cart with a very nice ball mark repair tool with the year and club logo imprinted on it.

Buddy of mine played in a member guest last year where each player had a wedge fitting and got a Callaway wedge of his choice to his specs.

One that I read about here that I thought was a cool idea was that each player got to design their own MyJoys well before the tournament and all of the shoes were displayed for everyone to see.

Pretty simple topic.

I've worked in the industry for 15 years as everything from a range attendant to a professional, which is the position that I currently hold at my club. I'm looking for fresh, unique and/or interesting ideas for tee gifts for a few of my member tournaments this coming season.

My professional staff and I feel like between the 3 of us, we've exhausted the good ideas that we've seen used elsewhere that would also work at our current club. Does anyone have a tee gift that they remember getting that really made an impression on them? I don't want to hear about the dozen ProV's and whatever other common stuff you've received multiple times.

Any ideas are useful though, so if there is something that you have gotten or seen that is simple or basic but you feel leaves an impression, I'm open to that too.

Throw the ideas out there. Again, anything is helpful. Pictures would be great if you have them too, as would any links to websites that may help guide my search.

Thank you for any input you can offer in advance.

Any of the cart-girls phone numbers

Came to suggest milled ball markers. I'm sure if you ordered 50 of them you could get them reasonably priced (I have no information to back this up). Maybe some sort of footjoy myjoy thing where they each get to design their own? Not sure how easy that would be to set up with a footjoy rep.

edit: milled pitch mark repair tools - a subtle hint that they should actually fix their pitches.

Another vote for the the Peter Millar experience. Prior to the tournament I was given a code for an online store credit and I got to pick whatever I wanted, I forgot about it, but come tournament day I had a box with my name and all of the stuff I picked. That was really cool and useful. When you get to pick what you want you generally walk away happy.

I also had a Links and Kings golf giveaway at another tournament, and while all of the leather products are cool and high quality it kinda gets old or you end up ordering something that's just an update of something you already own. I have like 6 overnight leather bags, and I pack lightly.

That's why balls, shirts, socks, etc end up being so much more practical.

Thanks for all of the input fellas. Some good ideas out there.

I custom stamp Seamus ballmarks at our place already but an event specific design may work out.

We do a lot with Peter Millar in my shop but I have thought about doing something with them.

Milled ballmark tools may be what I end up doing this year along with some basic stuff.

Main takeaway I've gotten from this is that something simple may just be the best way to go for a year or two and personalize it. Works for me. I was just trying to see what a relatively general consensus was, and I think y'all have given me a pretty good handle on that,

Thanks again everyone. Keep the ideas or opinions coming if you've got anymore. Always appreciate the input.

Taylor Made TP5 PIX

One small thing that our club did last year was custom ball markers. On the first tee they had a guy with an actual anvil that would punch in anything the guest wanted into a cool brass looking ball mark. The other side had our club logo. It was a small thing but everyone thought it was pretty cool. We have had custom belts, footjoy sandals, sunglasses, wind shirts, etc. Sometimes something less expensive but personalized and cool is just as good.

Take this in a different direction if you already do stamped markers, have a guy with an anvil there ready to stamp and paint-fill a wedge/putter per player. Little tougher to do leaving the head on than removing it in a shop, but should be doable by anyone worth their stuff.

Budget is a big driver here, as well as how hung up your membership is on the status associated with brand names....some good ideas already in this thread, but as you've noted what takes gifts from good to great is some sort of customization/personalization for the individual. A few ideas:

• Recently laser engraving has gotten so good you can go so far as having someone's actual signature or even a selfie put onto an item in a matter of seconds. I have a business cary holder with my signature on it that is a great conversation starter.
  • I've seen leather embossers who will come on-site to add initials to items for not too much money
  • Nike and I think FootJoy have "design-a-shoe" programs where colors and even materials can be selected and then the shoes are sent after the event
  • If doing clothing, you can have an embroiderer come on-site to add initials

In terms of the actual items - since golfers are obviously so picky with their gear and accessories, I find more lifestyle items to be popular. Stuff like a nice wallet, desk valet, even scorecard holder if your membership is into that. Also, depending on your membership, travel items can be cool - bag tag/passport case combos with club logo and initials, etc.

Budget is a big driver here, as well as how hung up your membership is on the status associated with brand names....some good ideas already in this thread, but as you've noted what takes gifts from good to great is some sort of customization/personalization for the individual. A few ideas:

• Recently laser engraving has gotten so good you can go so far as having someone's actual signature or even a selfie put onto an item in a matter of seconds. I have a business cary holder with my signature on it that is a great conversation starter.
  • I've seen leather embossers who will come on-site to add initials to items for not too much money
  • Nike and I think FootJoy have "design-a-shoe" programs where colors and even materials can be selected and then the shoes are sent after the event
  • If doing clothing, you can have an embroiderer come on-site to add initials

In terms of the actual items - since golfers are obviously so picky with their gear and accessories, I find more lifestyle items to be popular. Stuff like a nice wallet, desk valet, even scorecard holder if your membership is into that. Also, depending on your membership, travel items can be cool - bag tag/passport case combos with club logo and initials, etc.

That's the way I'm leaning. Thanks again. I've used most of these companies but if I decide to just do something custom stamped, I can handle that by myself. Much appreciated.

Taylor Made TP5 PIX

This is just my personal preference, but I'd like something simple, like a trophy that has been engraved with the event. Most of the guys I know have some sort of man cave and nothing makes that space pop like a trophy on a shelf or mantle with my name on it. I may not be good enough at golf to win a tournament, but I've won 9-ball tournaments and have gotten $500-$800 cues as prizes, but I've always looked around to see if there was some sort of trophy. I ended up bringing those cues to a local guy and spending some extra money to have them engraved so that I hang them up on the wall.

https://www.4imprint.com/tag/5360/Awards-and-Trophies?fs=AverageRating&csd=DESC&mkid=3ofc1_04_005&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bcustom%20%2Btrophies&utm_campaign=Awards%20%26%20Recognition%20Bing&s_kwcid=AL!4167!10!73736115986569!118067260483&msclkid=48a604b114f41650c1545833ea940fb1&utm_content=Trophies&ef_id=XIL@YAAABeY4Sq03:20190308234432:s

We had a Travis Matthew van with clothes, hats, etc for a member/member gift. Needless to say that didn't go over too well with the older members here in Florida. To this day it's still the best pair of shorts I own.

In general I think anything where you have different options is good. If you get to choose then more people will be happy.

Several years ago, we got a logo'd what I would refer to as a bank bag. It was 11" long x 5" high cordura with zipper on the 11" size. It also had a soft lining. It was perfect size to put your gloves in or your valuables. It had a clip so you could hook it onto your bag. Wish I still had it so I could post a picture but sadly it was stolen when my clubs were stolen.

A nice gift we gave one year at our Member Guest tournament was a leather duffel bag that was logo'd. Inside it was a logo'd windshirt.

Club Glove rolling duffel bag or the Last Bag travel bag with the club logo or event name.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

You could continue to expand on the barware that you members have by giving something that they don't have... I sell TemperCraft and everyone has done wine tumblers and pint glasses... now we have 750ml wine bottles and 64oz growlers that can double as big water bottles. When I was a HP and owned my shop I always wanted to give gifts that would spur on additional sales to move inventory. One-off event items are sometimes cool but usually go unused or re-gifted. Use ideas to drive more business!!!

Depending on your budget... look at Signs by the Sea out of New Jersey. They have a new 3D foam product with magnet backing. Interesting stuff!

TSR3 10º Driver - LinQ M40X White 6F5     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Modus 120X

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
Odyssey TEN - SuperStroke PIstol 2.0

Pro V1 

We did the MyJoys last year and it was a pretty big hit. We were emailed a link to design our own shoes a month or two prior and the shoes were delivered the day before the tournament. A lot of guys went crazy with designs, it was a lot of fun.

Two years ago was Bettinardi putters. Two reps from the company fitted each player on the first day, then spent the next two days building the putters. Think we got to choose from 3-4 different styles. That was pretty high end and popular, but I think a lot of the putters ended up on eBay.

Three years ago was a pair of Oakleys and $125 credit with the Titleist rep who showed up with a van full of gear, mostly prior generation wedges, nice gear, etc. Everyone was happy but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a home run. One issue I saw was people spending the $125 on something they didn't need or want, like a Titleist shag bag or an extra wedge they hadn't planned on buying. But most were pretty happy, and I think the Titleist guy had to be because almost everyone spent >$125.

For smaller gifts I have received, I always like a consistent gift commemorating an event I regularly play in, like a new leather putter cover each year, or a nice valuables pouch. Makes for a neat collectable in the office if you have 3-5 strait years of participation.

Some other people have mentioned luggage/travel type items. I think you can get some really cool non-golf items like that for relatively cheap that most every golfer would love. You wouldn't even have to go high end, like getting a Herschel Supply type duffel and having the event logo subtly added.