2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Considering a Move to Florida...Where Should We Move?

bhj83

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting away from cold weather winters and moving to Florida at some point in the future. Of course, golf is a top priority for me so I'm just trying to find that perfect mix of good schools (we have a 5 year old), reasonable housing prices, great golf courses at a reasonable price (thinking nice semi-private style courses). Coming from Kansas City, I really do love the big city, small town feel but not opposed to something different. Any suggestions?

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Jacksonville my man. Great schools with some being top ranked nationally, low cost of living, tons of new affordable housing being built. Golf is fantastic. Of course you have TPC Sawgrass, but many more great courses. Due to the competition, all the courses have to be both top notch and low cost in order to survive. Plus its alot like KC with some big city yet has the small town feel. What about jobs or i assume that doesn't matter?

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

I actually have a work from home job and have the flexibility to move pretty much anywhere. My wife would have to find a job though.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

Start with a rental during hurricane season. You’ll discover if you’re ready for the negatives. There are a lot of positives though.

Yeah I get that. We were actually in Destin last year during hurricane season and a tropical storm rolled through. We can get a lot of really bad storms here that bring plenty of wind, lightning, etc. Or you get a winter like this year where golf is taken away for months at a time because it's bitterly cold or snow has been on the ground for good chunks of time. I think I could trade hurricane season for the weather extremes we can get here in the midwest. Granted, it would suck if your house got taken out ala Mexico Beach last year but we also have tornados that can do similar damage (although not as widespread).

I actually have a work from home job and have the flexibility to move pretty much anywhere. My wife would have to find a job though.

Must be a coincidence but I live in the same area and WFH and have been having the same conversation with my wife. I'd love to cut out winter all together.

I don't know about you but it hits me hard when we have a bad winter. I just hate being stuck inside for months. I don't think too much about moving any other time of the year. One of these days we may actually follow through!

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

We snowbird to Citrus County on the Gulf side of the state - Nature Coast area. Towns like Crystal River, Inverness, Hernando, Lecanto are quaint, low cost places with lots of local flavor and PLENTY of golf.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Start with a rental during hurricane season. You’ll discover if you’re ready for the negatives. There are a lot of positives though.

Yeah I get that. We were actually in Destin last year during hurricane season and a tropical storm rolled through. We can get a lot of really bad storms here that bring plenty of wind, lightning, etc. Or you get a winter like this year where golf is taken away for months at a time because it's bitterly cold or snow has been on the ground for good chunks of time. I think I could trade hurricane season for the weather extremes we can get here in the midwest. Granted, it would suck if your house got taken out ala Mexico Beach last year but we also have tornados that can do similar damage (although not as widespread).

Must be a coincidence but I live in the same area and WFH and have been having the same conversation with my wife. I'd love to cut out winter all together.

I don't know about you but it hits me hard when we have a bad winter. I just hate being stuck inside for months. I don't think too much about moving any other time of the year. One of these days we may actually follow through!

I just moved here in July 2018. I moved for work and it took my wife 6 months to find a job. Not a ton of golf in the greater Melbourne area, but coming from MA I love not dealing with the snow and sub-freezing temperature for days/weeks at a time. I played lots of rounds of golf in August and September, so the oppressive heat isn't too bad if you expect it and hydrate. Having Disney and other big Orlando attractions as well as great golf courses an hour away is nice. I'm never left lacking for something to do, like I would be for 4 months out of the year in MA.

Sarasota area where my in-laws live is nice, with some nicely maintained courses, as well as only an hour drive from Tampa. Vero Beach is a beautiful area, and it's an hour from Orlando and about 90 min from West Palm Beach. You almost can't go wrong with any location on the coasts.

Someone a while ago told me that NASA wouldn't have spent a fortune on building their space program in the direct path of a hurricane. There is something about this general area that avoids the biggest of the hurricanes. They seem to turn south to Miami/WPB or curl North to South Carolina.

Good Luck with the decision!

* Changes way too often

Stay in the Panhandle. Join Camp Creek ... which also gets you Shark's Tooth

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Stay in the Panhandle. Join Camp Creek ... which also gets you Shark's Tooth

That's probably out of my budget haha. Any idea what that place runs? It would easiest to live in the panhandle honestly as I have a friend already there and my in-laws snowbird there.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

You can forget about South Florida or SW Florida. House pricing is pretty steep in those areas and it's really a private golf course area where memberships are quite expensive. Naples area is probably the highest cost of living in the state. Beautiful area, but pricey and also filled with private courses that cost a lot of moolah.

I love Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete. Lots of old school charm with beach atmosphere. But, the rain and lightning really makes it hard for courses to last and the private ones are quite pricey.

Orlando is the best all-around for golf between the public and private clubs. Problem is that outside of Orange Tree or Legacy Club (if you have a family that's interested in playing golf), not much in the way of affordable private golf. However, you can a ton of public golf at good prices.

Forget Daytona. It's not nice unless you're a millionaire. And there's not a lot of golf up there.

Jacksonville/St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra isn't bad. A bit too redneck for my tastes. Also, that damn city is ridiculous in side...can take you 2 hours to get from one side of the city to the other. Golf wise, it's kinda like a smaller version of Orlando...good mix of private and public courses...just doesn't seem to have the volume that Orlando has. Also, it does get a bit colder there in the winter than even Orlando.

My recommendations of places to check out are:

Jacksonville/St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra

Sarasota/Bradenton

Orlando

Oh yeah, no state income tax!

RH

You can forget about South Florida or SW Florida. House pricing is pretty steep in those areas and it's really a private golf course area where memberships are quite expensive. Naples area is probably the highest cost of living in the state. Beautiful area, but pricey and also filled with private courses that cost a lot of moolah.

I love Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete. Lots of old school charm with beach atmosphere. But, the rain and lightning really makes it hard for courses to last and the private ones are quite pricey.

Orlando is the best all-around for golf between the public and private clubs. Problem is that outside of Orange Tree or Legacy Club (if you have a family that's interested in playing golf), not much in the way of affordable private golf. However, you can a ton of public golf at good prices.

Forget Daytona. It's not nice unless you're a millionaire. And there's not a lot of golf up there.

Jacksonville/St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra isn't bad. A bit too redneck for my tastes. Also, that damn city is ridiculous in side...can take you 2 hours to get from one side of the city to the other. Golf wise, it's kinda like a smaller version of Orlando...good mix of private and public courses...just doesn't seem to have the volume that Orlando has. Also, it does get a bit colder there in the winter than even Orlando.

My recommendations of places to check out are:

Jacksonville/St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra

Sarasota/Bradenton

Orlando

Oh yeah, no state income tax!

RH

Thanks for the detailed info! Yeah the low tax part is very appealing. We pay way too much in taxes here in Kansas because there isn't much in the way of income (like tourism).

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

I lived in JAX for ~3 years due to a work relocation thing from PHX. I can truly say that I've never hated living anywhere in my life other than JAX. It is the most miserable, boring and worst golf related place that I've ever spent any appreciable time in. I cannot truly express my hatred for the area without this post getting shut down but I'd rather live a third world slum that JAX. The only place on earth I can think of I'd rather live less is MCO. I'm sure there are nice areas of FL. I mean, I'm kinda sure. I've just never seen them.

You might ask why do I dislike it so much. That's fair. I'll answer that. The scenery is worse than a post apocalyptic novel, the weather is absolutely miserable 100% of the time and the golf is both boring and predictable.

I've lived in 4 countries and 6 states for at least 1+ year and FL is so far last that I find it impossible to believe that anything else couldn't be better. That's just me. YMMV ;)

Move anywhere else. I mean, anywhere.

30A (Sharks Tooth et.al.) is very expensive. But Destin, back from the beach, has quite a few affordable neighborhoods. If you don't have to be close to the beach, check out Niceville (just across the Mid-bay bridge from Destin. Indian Bayou in Destin is affordable. Courses like Bluewater Bay offer 10 round packages if you don't want to spring for a membership. Still quite affordable compared to 30A.

• Like 1

Hahahaha. Nice. The hatred is just oozing out of that previous post.

I must say, I have a good buddy that is wintering in Saint Pete now and keeps asking me to join him to play golf all winter and I can’t see it happening for more than a week or two at a time.

Something about Florida in general just rubs me the wrong way. The topography, the foliage, the architecture, the humidity, the crackheads..

I’ve been there quite a few times for a few days to a couple weeks and I just can’t convince myself I want to do winters there.

Every state has their pros and cons. There are more homeless folks in San Fran than New York. There’s just as many junkies in Phoenix as their are in Harlem.

Weather wise it’s only bad mid June to end of September but not impossible to get a round in. I give orlando a lot of flack even though I have properties here but that’s because we share our home with 65 million visitors per year. That can make for some bad commutes and long golf rounds year round.

You have to ask yourself what you’re willing to accept. I love the Midwest but I wouldnt reside there due to weather. Private’s in Florida can get expensive. If you don’t mind 5 hour rounds of public courses then there are plenty of options. Home prices wise I would suggest Jacksonville or Sarasota area. Along with great public courses the homes are still relatively affordable. Orlando market has ballooned the last 3 years into something I haven’t seen even before the crash. Tampa bay is in same situation.

Employment wise if your wife is looking and she’s not a professional you have to consider Florida is a “At-will” employment state and they can let you go for any good, bad or no reason at all.

Hard to beat high 80s and low 60s this time of the year. I have a tee time at 1:40 today. I wouldn’t be able to if I lived up north. I wouldn’t call Florida a junkie or worst state than 3rd world country though.

Hopefully sunshine gets to you in time before cabin fever does. Best of luck on your decisions.

The greens are always green in Florida.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

30A (Sharks Tooth et.al.) is very expensive. But Destin, back from the beach, has quite a few affordable neighborhoods. If you don't have to be close to the beach, check out Niceville (just across the Mid-bay bridge from Destin. Indian Bayou in Destin is affordable. Courses like Bluewater Bay offer 10 round packages if you don't want to spring for a membership. Still quite affordable compared to 30A.

I just returned from a golf trip to the Destin area (I've played golf there in previous years too) and they do have a nice mix of courses for Florida. We discovered Blackstone this time around and while conditions could've been a little better, it was unlike any Florida course I've played with the hills and blind shots. Also played Indian Bayou and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Regatta Bay and Kelly Plantation claim they're the best courses in Destin but I'd put Indian Bayou right up there close with them from the times I've played all 3. Too bad they closed their third 9 so they're down to 18 holes now. I like the idea of joining a 27 hole facility for variety. I also love Windswept Dunes but I don't think I could live in Freeport that far away from everything. Santa Rosa Golf and Beach Club isn't too expensive for a private place and has a nice layout. Housing is very reasonable in that area especially the further away you get from the beach. My concern there is the area isn't all that developed so it would be like living in a small town and that's not something I prefer. Who knows...it could be a nice change though.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

Every state has their pros and cons. There are more homeless folks in San Fran than New York. There's just as many junkies in Phoenix as their are in Harlem.

Weather wise it's only bad mid June to end of September but not impossible to get a round in. I give orlando a lot of flack even though I have properties here but that's because we share our home with 65 million visitors per year. That can make for some bad commutes and long golf rounds year round.

You have to ask yourself what you're willing to accept. I love the Midwest but I wouldnt reside there due to weather. Private's in Florida can get expensive. If you don't mind 5 hour rounds of public courses then there are plenty of options. Home prices wise I would suggest Jacksonville or Sarasota area. Along with great public courses the homes are still relatively affordable. Orlando market has ballooned the last 3 years into something I haven't seen even before the crash. Tampa bay is in same situation.

Employment wise if your wife is looking and she's not a professional you have to consider Florida is a "At-will" employment state and they can let you go for any good, bad or no reason at all.

Hard to beat high 80s and low 60s this time of the year. I have a tee time at 1:40 today. I wouldn't be able to if I lived up north. I wouldn't call Florida a junkie or worst state than 3rd world country though.

Hopefully sunshine gets to you in time before cabin fever does. Best of luck on your decisions.

The greens are always green in Florida.

Yeah, the weather comment above was a little strange from the other user. I can live with the humid heat in the summer because we experience the same thing here in KC, except it can get even hotter at times. That doesn't deter me from playing whatsoever. I could also live with what they consider "cold" in the panhandle because I frequently play golf in the 30s and 40s here in KC.

I have been to Sarasota a couple of times and I do love that area too. It's definitely on the list of places we're considering along with the Ft Meyers area (I know...so many old people). We do much prefer the gulf side although I haven't spent much time in Jacksonville (been one time for a Chiefs game and we stayed in Orlando).

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

I'm not overly familiar with Jacksonville, but I know of places in St. Augustine and Ponte Vedra Beach that are very nice.

As far as Orlando goes, it's not hard to find nice places. Celebration is fairly ridiculous in how nice it is. Lake Nona, most of Windermere, Bay Hill, most of the Orange Tree area, Heathrow/Alaqua Lakes, Avalon Park, etc....all very nice. Hell, even Thornton Park right in downtown is extremely nice.

I feel the same way about Georgia as you do about Florida. But to say that you can't find a nice place in Orlando is over-the-top.

RH

I lived in JAX for ~3 years due to a work relocation thing from PHX. I can truly say that I've never hated living anywhere in my life other than JAX. It is the most miserable, boring and worst golf related place that I've ever spent any appreciable time in. I cannot truly express my hatred for the area without this post getting shut down but I'd rather live a third world slum that JAX. The only place on earth I can think of I'd rather live less is MCO. I'm sure there are nice areas of FL. I mean, I'm kinda sure. I've just never seen them.

You might ask why do I dislike it so much. That's fair. I'll answer that. The scenery is worse than a post apocalyptic novel, the weather is absolutely miserable 100% of the time and the golf is both boring and predictable.

I've lived in 4 countries and 6 states for at least 1+ year and FL is so far last that I find it impossible to believe that anything else couldn't be better. That's just me. YMMV ;)

Move anywhere else. I mean, anywhere.

I wish there were more like you. Good riddance.

Oh and here's another little nugget. My total tax burden in JAX far exceeded my tax burden in AZ due to property tax. Yes, my house was very expensive but for a "zero tax" state it is very expensive on the tax side.

Probably #50 out of the 50 states I'd live in. Come @ me FL lovers. ;)

Effective average property tax rate in Jacksonville is right around 1%. And home prices are extremely affordable. Property tax isn’t even close. I could own a 6,000sqft waterfront home on over an acre of land in Jacksonville and pay 30% less in property taxes than I’d owe in income taxes in AZ. No clue how the property taxes equaled more than income tax in AZ.

Oh and here's another little nugget. My total tax burden in JAX far exceeded my tax burden in AZ due to property tax. Yes, my house was very expensive but for a "zero tax" state it is very expensive on the tax side.

Effective average property tax rate in Jacksonville is right around 1%. And home prices are extremely affordable. Property tax isn't even close. I could own a 6,000sqft waterfront home on over an acre of land in Jacksonville and pay 30% less in property taxes than I'd owe in income taxes in AZ. No clue how the property taxes equaled more than income tax in AZ.

I was wondering the same thing but I'm not all that familiar with either locations. I know here in KS my effective property tax is over 2% and it's crazy. I happen to live in one of the more expensive counties for that aspect though, unfortunately.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

Effective average property tax rate in Jacksonville is right around 1%. And home prices are extremely affordable. Property tax isn’t even close. I could own a 6,000sqft waterfront home on over an acre of land in Jacksonville and pay 30% less in property taxes than I’d owe in income taxes in AZ. No clue how the property taxes equaled more than income tax in AZ.

TBC, while I did truly despise living in JAX and do think it is both ugly and boring (honestly, not kidding, hated every single second I lived there) I was obviously exaggerating for effect on the whole third world slum thing. My house there was assessed at around $1.5M and I had scaled back my income at the time by opening a small business so my income was a bit lower than what you might think. Also, I was being a bit flippant about what I called tax. Water, sewage and trash were also included in the bill IIRC but nonetheless my annual bill on things related to JAX was ~$28,000. My property tax on a similarly priced house in AZ is around $7000. The whole income tax thing is no longer true as I now work as an employee doing a similar job but it was at the time.

I’ll be honest, I did that as a fun thing for me and I kinda got a laugh out of offending the guy above. Amongst my close friends there’s a bit of a joke about how much I hate FL but it really is JAX and MCO that I hate the most. I actually think the Naples area is kinda nice but still hate the weather (can’t stand humidity which is why our apartment in NYC is empty all summer!). I’ll also say that I totally get why people want to live there and, if you’re one of those people, you’d likely hate AZ. I can’t live without mountains to climb though. To each his own and all that but while I might have been joking a bit about the 50 out of 50 thing I just spent some time thinking about it and there’s no way it cracks the top 40. There’s simply no way that I would recommend living there to anyone ever.

We moved to Jupiter, FL in December after selling our family home in the NJ. We're renting for the time being as we felt it best not to rush into a purchase right away. Love it so far.

Jupiter is awesome, but housing is pretty expensive. We're about 4 miles from the beach (great public access) and also close to the Jupiter inlet. PBI is a 15 min drive and FLL 55 min. Restaurants, arts, golf, entertainment of all kinds (pun intended due to recent events...lol ?).

There are only a few semi-private and/or affordable golf clubs. I'm at Abacoa for now. Most of the full privates are very expensive and exclusive. Less than 30 min north of us in Martin County, the Stuart/Palm City area checks all of your boxes as it's way more affordable with many excellent golf options.

The gulfstream stays relatively close to shore up just past Jupiter inlet where it curves slightly east, then really tracks east (away from the coast) out into the Atlantic up around Vero. The gulfstream moderates our temps keeping us warmer in winter and slightly less hot with a breeze in summer. If you want warm winters, Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra ain't the spot but it'll be just as hot or hotter in summer. You will experience the seasons to a degree up there though...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball