Callaway Rogue

BrandonG31

Never hit the standard Rogue, but I thought the Rogue Sub Zero did what it was supposed to do (cut spin down and perform well).

I think the Rogue was an odd release mainly because they never discontinued Epic, or stated Rogue to be an Epic replacement. I feel that never identified it as an "upgrade", and therefore it never got as much traction as it should have.

I play Rogue SZ 3-wood and really like it, no intentions of swapping out it anytime soon.

I played in a foursome with a guy who got one when they were hot off the press. He couldn't keep it in the fairway, but the other 3 of us hit a practice ball with it and killed it dead straight and long of course. I thought it felt good and couldn't complain about the results, but I hit every club great till I pay for it. That being said, he's the only guy I know who ever owned one. 2017 club?

Three of my buddies have Rogues and they are just fine.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Rogue SZ is the best driver I have hit in years....not sure I would use the WTB as an indication of a clubs prowess...I’d be more inclined to stay away from something that is constantly on the BST.

Srixon MKII ZX5/ZX7 4-P KBS Tour 120
Taylormade MG3 52 /TW 56/60

Titleist TSr2 3 Hybrid HZRDUS Silver 80 

Taylormade Stealth 2 3 Wood Tour AD IZ 7

Taylormade Stealth+ 2 Driver Diamana ZF 60

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12.5

Titleist ProV1X Left Dash

Titleist Linkmaster

I just picked up a Rogue SZ and Epic SZ to replace my Razr Hawk at our that broke on me. The epic, for me, is leaps and bounds ahead of the rogue. I tried the epic’s shaft in the rogue for an apples to apples comparison, and there’s no comparison. Just bought the thing and it now resides in my spare bag of stuff.

I just picked up a Rogue SZ and Epic SZ to replace my Razr Hawk at our that broke on me. The epic, for me, is leaps and bounds ahead of the rogue. I tried the epic’s shaft in the rogue for an apples to apples comparison, and there’s no comparison. Just bought the thing and it now resides in my spare bag of stuff.

It’s the complete opposite for me. I never got along with the Epic, tried it several different times, and hit the Rogue like a cannon and it’s still my driver now. Funny how different clubs work better for different people.

I gamed a Rogue at release thru July of last year. Admittedly my swing was going through some changes but I stuggled with control. Switched back to my 917D2 and driving instantly improved. For me it wasn't an optimal fit. I did hit some of my longest drives in years with it when hit well. It gave me wonderful launch monitor numbers, just didn't transfer well to the course for me. The 3w is a true gem, probably the longest fairway wood I've ever hit. But I like to tinker, and glued hosel made it harder to be a shaft ho.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Read on another Golf Forum that it Outsold the Epic and was the highest selling driver of 2018

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Personally, I could not find performance difference among epic, rogue, and flash.

All margins we're less than my swing variation.

Titleist                   TSR3 Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Ping                       G430 3 Hybrid w/GD Tour AD IZ 85S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/DG s400

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

Bomber hit the nail on the head for me at least. I wasn’t trying to say the performance isn’t there. I’m just saying the general buzz, for me, isn’t there anymore. I found that the EPIC had a much longer lasting buzz. Maybe that’s because of the new jailbreak tech that came with the EPIC release.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been wondering this too and found this old thread. I bought the Rogue Driver (9 @ 10), 3-wood (15), and Rogue X Hybrid 4 (20) in September, and all the reviews online that I’ve found rate it 5-stars and have nothing but rave reviews. I’ve been gaming them since then and have gotten as many rounds in as possible, and I’ve found the Driver and 3-wood perform way better than my old clubs and I get pretty good distance and consistency! The Hybrid is still a work in progress since I got it extended too long and my shaft weight could be too light (Synergy Aldila 60 S), but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not a great club. But definitely wondering the same thing...seems like this line has no buzz and also seems like Callaway never fully believed in it by keeping the Epic line, pushing the Mavrik, and now coming out with a new Epic for 2021?

Have found a few Tour Pros that aren’t signed that use Rogue 3-woods and Hybrids, but they seem to prefer Mavrik Drivers, and just don’t see that many loud & proud Rogue gamers out there...

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I love my Rogue woods and hybrids. I'm a senior golfer if that has anything to do with it. BUT.......just put a 47" shaft in my old TM M2(playing as 47.5") and it may be going in the bag soon. I've only had one range session and 9 holes of golf but the longer shaft definitely added yardage to my drives. Takes a little getting used to but not a hard adjustment really. Need another 9 holes before I put it in play against my buddies. 😉

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

On 3/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, BrandonG31 said:

Was this line of drivers a flop? You see people post in the WTB section for pretty much every driver under the sun but rarely the Rogue.

On Callaway Pre-Owned, the Rogue long clubs are in short supply. For the fairways, 3W and 5W is about all that shows up. For drivers, lots of 9* with stiff shafts, and not all that many.

For my 7W, I ended up ordering a Women's version (same lie angle and head size as men's) and reshafting it.

Possibly people have tried the mainline venues, and have just given up trying to find used Rogues. And remember, amid COVID golf club sales have increased 30% for some retailers. Decent used clubs are somewhat scarce also.

The local Play It Again Sports shop doesn't have much for sale except for left-handed clubs. 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have a rogue standar driver at 9 degree and a standard rogue 3wood... i love them to death lol... they have not much play on them due to the fact that i now have mavrik std driver. I have mavrik bag driver and hybrid with steelhead xr 3wood mizuno mmc 20 irons jaws wedges and scotty... thats current set up but future set up is rogue bag, driver, 3 wood still mav hybrid still mmc 20 probably, prob new wedges by then and scotty still... i can say though the rogues work very well... and have a fantastic sound and feel. Couldnt be happier.

20200318_042958.jpg

• Thanks 1

Aha...so you guys are telling me there are Rogue guys out there and just had to wake everyone up and get you guys out of the woodwork, Lol!! 

Nice, good to know and nice bag @iNeedMoreGolf!!

Yeah, I’ve really liked my Rogue Driver and 3-Wood so far and my consistency and distance is getting better the more practice and comfort level I get with them! Just chopped my Rogue X Hybrid 4 back to 0.5” above standard length, and will get fitted to see if I need a heavier shaft, so we’ll see how the fitting goes.

Here’s my bag (just did a WITB this week): Rogue Driver, 3-Wood, Hybrid, TM Tour Preferred Irons (3-7 MC, 8-PW MB), TM Milled Grind Wedges (52, 56, 60), and TM Redline Monza putter:

7E87460C-8C11-4073-8A84-572921E97CE4.jpeg

988F18D8-DDF2-44EB-9181-6BBDCDB908D2.jpeg

14B1331B-6EB8-4AF5-8375-0B03D0DE2EDD.jpeg

Edited by BallerNate

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Aha...so you guys are telling me there are Rogue guys out there and just had to wake everyone up and get you guys out of the woodwork, Lol!! 

Nice, good to know and nice bag @iNeedMoreGolf!!

Yeah, I’ve really liked my Rogue Driver and 3-Wood so far and my consistency and distance is getting better the more practice and comfort level I get with them! Just chopped my Rogue X Hybrid 4 back to 0.5” above standard length, and will get fitted to see if I need a heavier shaft, so we’ll see how the fitting goes.

Here’s my bag (just did a WITB this week): Rogue Driver, 3-Wood, Hybrid, TM Tour Preferred Irons (3-7 MC, 8-PW MB), TM Milled Grind Wedges (52, 56, 60), and TM Redline Monza putter:

7E87460C-8C11-4073-8A84-572921E97CE4.jpeg

988F18D8-DDF2-44EB-9181-6BBDCDB908D2.jpeg

14B1331B-6EB8-4AF5-8375-0B03D0DE2EDD.jpeg

I'm a big fan, gaming the Rogue Pro irons this year along with a 9.0 Rogue Driver. And liked the driver so much picked up a very good condition used 4w a couple weeks ago to replace my XR16 3w and Steelhead XR 5w. Tested the driver against an Epic Flash, Srixon 585, Ping g400 and it performed same or better than all three...and so far the 4w has been equalling or bettering my Steelhead XR 5w (which i struck really well and had no real good reason to replace other than to also lose 3w and free up a slot in my bag haha).

Driver #'s: 93-95mph swingspeed...averaged around 245yds and pretty straight but hit several 285+ with a little tailwind or when fairways firmed up later in season.

I've been highly recommending Rogue series to anyone wanting to update their old set with a quality newer woods and irons even without having to pay 'new club' prices (what i did).

Edited by wcdixon
Clarity
  • Like 1

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"

37 minutes ago, wcdixon said:

I'm a big fan, gaming the Rogue Pro irons this year along with a 9.0 Rogue Driver. And liked the driver so much picked up a very good condition used 4w a couple weeks ago to replace my XR16 3w and Steelhead XR 5w. Tested the driver against an Epic Flash, Srixon 585, Ping g400 and it performed same or better than all three...and so far the 4w has been equalling or bettering my Steelhead XR 5w (which i struck really well and had no real good reason to replace other than to also lose 3w and free up a slot in my bag haha).

Driver #'s: 93-95mph swingspeed...averaged around 245yds and pretty straight but hit several 285+ with a little tailwind or when fairways firmed up later in season.

I've been highly recommending Rogue series to anyone wanting to update their old set with a quality newer woods and irons even without having to pay 'new club' prices (what i did).

Awesome, glad to hear I’m not the only one and didn’t waste my money, Lol! When you look at the different setups and posts on this site Rogue is almost non-existent...but after 10+ years of not playing and just re-learning the game, I’ve averaged 240+ yds with the Driver (with longs in the 285-295 range), and averages in the 215-230 range with the 3-wood!! Only going to get better with more practice and more swing consistency! Been having major control issues with the Hybrid, but I had the shaft extended too long at 1.5” over stock length and probably need a heavier shaft, but not giving up on it yet!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

39 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome, glad to hear I’m not the only one and didn’t waste my money, Lol! When you look at the different setups and posts on this site Rogue is almost non-existent...but after 10+ years of not playing and just re-learning the game, I’ve averaged 240+ yds with the Driver (with longs in the 285-295 range), and averages in the 215-230 range with the 3-wood!! Only going to get better with more practice and more swing consistency! Been having major control issues with the Hybrid, but I had the shaft extended too long at 1.5” over stock length and probably need a heavier shaft, but not giving up on it yet!

No arguments from me lol. Out of curiousity i went through all my old posts from this year and found they mostly focused on clubs i wanted to try/was interested in or clubs i was complaining about...so barely mentioned Rogue's since i was having no issues haha.

Sorry about your issues with Rogue X hybrid - I used a Cobra f6 hybrid this year which i liked because of the smaller head and loft adjustibility...but again a couple weeks ago picked up a used Rogue 3 hybrid and Epic Flash 4 hybrid to try out. Hitting both well indoors (it doesn't really count until outside during a round imho lol) but surprisingly getting a lot more out of the Epic Flash (like 225-ish) even though it's 21* and the Rogue 3 is 19* (215-ish). Dispersion decent for both too but should note i cut the shafts of them (and the driver and 4w) down by 1 inch - find it helps my feel and control without losing much distance.

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"

13 minutes ago, wcdixon said:

No arguments from me lol. Out of curiousity i went through all my old posts from this year and found they mostly focused on clubs i wanted to try/was interested in or clubs i was complaining about...so barely mentioned Rogue's since i was having no issues haha.

Sorry about your issues with Rogue X hybrid - I used a Cobra f6 hybrid this year which i liked because of the smaller head and loft adjustibility...but again a couple weeks ago picked up a used Rogue 3 hybrid and Epic Flash 4 hybrid to try out. Hitting both well indoors (it doesn't really count until outside during a round imho lol) but surprisingly getting a lot more out of the Epic Flash (like 225-ish) even though it's 21* and the Rogue 3 is 19* (215-ish). Dispersion decent for both too but should note i cut the shafts of them (and the driver and 4w) down by 1 inch - find it helps my feel and control without losing much distance.

Yeah, it’s true Rogue isn’t the flashiest/sexiest option so doesn’t get talked about, just solid and productive. For my Rogue X Hybrid 4 (20), I don’t blame the club at all. It was the 2nd club I upgraded after 10 yrs away (after getting a new putter), and I just didn’t do my research when customizing it. I’m 6’7, so when I extended it I just asked them to extend it by the max they could, 1.5” without looking at how much longer it should’ve been than my irons, or how much shorter it should’ve been than my 3-wood or Driver. Also didn’t know the shaft weight should be heavier than the Driver and 3-wood that both have the identical Synergy Aldila 60 S shafts!! Once I get it setup properly, and learn how to hit it consistently, I’m sure it will be just as good as the Driver and 3-wood.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, it’s true Rogue isn’t the flashiest/sexiest option so doesn’t get talked about, just solid and productive. For my Rogue X Hybrid 4 (20), I don’t blame the club at all. It was the 2nd club I upgraded after 10 yrs away (after getting a new putter), and I just didn’t do my research when customizing it. I’m 6’7, so when I extended it I just asked them to extend it by the max they could, 1.5” without looking at how much longer it should’ve been than my irons, or how much shorter it should’ve been than my 3-wood or Driver. Also didn’t know the shaft weight should be heavier than the Driver and 3-wood that both have the identical Synergy Aldila 60 S shafts!! Once I get it setup properly, and learn how to hit it consistently, I’m sure it will be just as good as the Driver and 3-wood.

Wow  i average about the same as your distances with driver and 3wood and the occasional 280 290 drive. Nice set up and the tiger woods pop character in your icon is awsome... ive been loving my rogues since day one very underrated imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Wow  i average about the same as your distances with driver and 3wood and the occasional 280 290 drive. Nice set up and the tiger woods pop character in your icon is awsome... ive been loving my rogues since day one very underrated imo.

Thanks, much appreciated man! Yeah, very underrated clubs for sure, agree 100%! And to me they’re much more appealing to look at then Mavrik, Epic, or comparable TaylorMade Drivers & woods like the M2, M4, M5 etc! SIM is a different story, but obviously a totally different price range at $699.99 + tax!

With the yardage I definitely feel like that 285-295 yardage could be reachable more consistently with the right swing mechanics and enough confidence/practice, but getting 240-260 on nice smooth swings is pretty darn good and nothing to shake a stick at (pun intended)! 😉

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX