Mizuno ST 190 Driver

flushem

I felt my dispersion short and long was better with the ST-190. On the very best strikes I think the Epic SZ would win, however it wouldn't be by much, and we are talking about 1 drive in 40/50 shots. I also felt the ST-190 performed better on strikes low on the face. Hope that helps

That sounds like now-gone JPX 900 driver. I wonder how ST 190 drives against ST 180 and JPX 900.

Highest Spin and launch angle JPX900

Lowest Spin and launch angle ST180

Perfect for me ST190

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I felt my dispersion short and long was better with the ST-190. On the very best strikes I think the Epic SZ would win, however it wouldn't be by much, and we are talking about 1 drive in 40/50 shots. I also felt the ST-190 performed better on strikes low on the face. Hope that helps

That sounds like now-gone JPX 900 driver. I wonder how ST 190 drives against ST 180 and JPX 900.

Perfect for me ST190

What shaft?

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Perfect for me ST190

What shaft?

JPX900 was the Fuji Evo2 661S

ST180 was the Tensei Blue 6S and Fuji Evo2 661S

ST190 is getting a Fuji Speeder TR 661S (not a stock option)

Perfect for me ST190

What shaft?

JPX900 was the Fuji Evo2 661S

ST180 was the Tensei Blue 6S and Fuji Evo2 661S

ST190 is getting a Fuji Speeder TR 661S (not a stock option)

Thanks for the info here :)

The JPX900 is in my bag and I bought an ST180 to try but do feel it's too much the other end.

What * did you have the heads set to? I see there's now a 9.5 & 10.5 option for the ST190 and was humming and hawing over which might be the better option.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

JPX900 9.5 (weights forward in the center track)

ST180 10.5 (I had both 9.5 head set to 10.5 way too low spin for me and the HL head turned down a degree and still a little low spin for me)

ST190 10.5 (the 10.5 head set to standard is perfect for me in my fitting results)

Just picked up a ST190.

I love the look, the feel, the sound and then the numbers were amazing for me.

Can't wait to take it out on the course today

Regular or G? What shaft did you get in it?

I really want to try the regular head with the Atmos blue or Tensei blue.... My store doesn't have many options, I may just have to order it that way blind. I was amazed at how straight the G went, not even set up for me.

Perfect for me ST190

interesting. My jpx 900 had the same shaft and the loft. But I placed the weight in toe & heel that yielded low 2000 rpm and mid trajectory. Now Honma driver yields better job than JPX 900.

Above all, Mizuno drivers are so overlooked for many years and should be in many's bag due to forgiveness and accuracy.

Had a chance to hit both ST190 models yesterday.

I was shocked by just how good these clubs were. Especially the non adjustable one (no sliding weight tracks).

Super aesthetically pleasing too! Looks great at address, bottom is symmetrical and looks sharp.

I hit each head with both Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X and Graphite Design AD BB 6X and was getting unreal #'s.

Going to take my 2016 M2 8.5 down and have a little showdown with the two. Will post pics when finished.

I was shocked by just how good these clubs were. Especially the non adjustable one (no sliding weight tracks).

Super aesthetically pleasing too! Looks great at address, bottom is symmetrical and looks sharp.

I hit each head with both Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X and Graphite Design AD BB 6X and was getting unreal #'s.

Going to take my 2016 M2 8.5 down and have a little showdown with the two. Will post pics when finished.

Did you notice any real differences between the two heads? Sound and feel? How much higher were the spin numbers, if at all, with the non adjustable head? Adjustable head looked and felt good to me, just spun too low.

Did you notice any real differences between the two heads? Sound and feel? How much higher were the spin numbers, if at all, with the non adjustable head? Adjustable head looked and felt good to me, just spun too low.

non adjustable felt lighter

Like you said, the adjustable one in the right setting is a big time spin killer. I hit a few at 1500 RPM and it wasn't ideal by any means.

I just felt I was hitting the ball better and had about 2-3 mph higher ball speeds w/ the non adjustable ST190

How does the ST190 compare to the ST180 in terms of the face angle? The ST180 was just too closed for me to be able to deal with. Is the 190 as draw biased?

So true and that why I ended up with a ST180 HL turned down to 10.5 to open the face and it was pretty good.

The ST190 is a different animal all together in the set up/address position. It’s dead square to a little open in the neutral setting.

My 9.5 ST190 was measured to be 9.6 degrees and one degree open at address. The thing is very solid. Very rogue-ish looking. It’s as solid as a driver offering that is out at the moment.

Titleist TSR3 10* Diamana GT 60
Titleist TSR3 15* Diamana GT 70
Titleist 816 H2 19* Fubuki AV400
Mizuno MP 241 Dynamic Gold Mid 115 S300
Mizuno T24 Raw 50.54,58 DGTI S400
Bettinardi SS28 Tour DASS

Just picked up a ST190.

I love the look, the feel, the sound and then the numbers were amazing for me.

Can't wait to take it out on the course today

Regular or G? What shaft did you get in it?

I really want to try the regular head with the Atmos blue or Tensei blue.... My store doesn't have many options, I may just have to order it that way blind. I was amazed at how straight the G went, not even set up for me.

I got the ST190 and didn’t even bother to try the G since I loved the performance of the 190, the look and feel. Plus I don’t **** all that crap on there to tinker with. Add the fact it was 100.00 cheaper...sold!

I ended up with the Atmos Blue stiff.

Took it out for 18 today and absolutely love it.

I was surprised to see my store only had 2 of each driver available and maybe 3 fw woods... they had nothing in stock and no demos... Guy said they just weren't anticipating sales as the 180 didn't move much. Too bad... looks like it could be a real contender if they could get it in people's hands.

yup, it's sad, local golf mart has maybe 3 drivers and a few bonded 3ws, all tossed on the bottom shelf literally out of sight, with zero signage. If the st190 said taylormade on the bottom instead of mizuno it would be one of, if not the most popular driver out there. It's a shame mizuno lacks the funding to properly market their products.

Recently Mizuno had a demo day at a local course I frequent. I went over there wanting to try some irons and wedges...ended up placing an order for both the st190 and adjustable 3w; they are beyond legit. The look, sound and feel is unmatched by anything currently on the market, in my opinion of course. Made me not even want to hit my new tour issue m6 anymore it was so good. Another driver I know is getting a lot of buzz lately is the new cobra...not sure why as I find it hideous to look at, don't even want to hit the thing it looks so odd to me.

Don't sleep on the new mizunos!

Obviously a video from Mizuno is going to be Mizunoey, but this was a good watch/listen from Mitchell:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

To me, this is the best looking driver on the market.

I’ve played Mizuno irons forever and have tried their drivers in the past. But I wasn’t a huge fan of the blue, but it was really the feel that I hated.

Coming from Titleist drivers, it’s always been hard to beat that feel. But this driver feels as good as any driver ive ever hit.

But we all know that even if it looks great and feels great, if it doesn’t perform then it’s a moot.

This thing flat out works for me. Lowest spin rate I’ve ever had with a driver, easy to work both ways, and my misses are punished as badly as they would be with other drivers.

There are lots of good drivers this year. Find what suits your eye and swing...for me this one is pure perfection.

Coming from Titleist drivers, its always been hard to beat that feel. But this driver feels as good as any driver ive ever hit.

I’ve got a TS3 in the bag but a ST190 is on the way and will have a fair shot to make the starting lineup. The TS3 is a great driver with some of the best ball speeds I’ve seen from a driver. However, the ST190 is the composite driver that Titleist should have made to compete with Taylormade and Callaway. If the ST190 had a Titleist logo on it, Taylormade and Callaway would have lost more market share than they did to the TS line.

non adjustable felt lighter

Like you said, the adjustable one in the right setting is a big time spin killer. I hit a few at 1500 RPM and it wasn't ideal by any means.

I just felt I was hitting the ball better and had about 2-3 mph higher ball speeds w/ the non adjustable ST190

How did the shoot out go? I was getting better numbers(ball speed and spin) with the ST190 than my current G400lst.

I'll jump in.

I will not be trying anything from this year. I will however be trying a few from last year. I never buy anything on current release when I can wait a year or two. The tech hasn't improved dramatically between the '18 Mizuno Driver and the '19 Mizuno Drivers. They may have refined a "few" things like speed/forgiveness across the entire face/ looks (and in this case I don't really mind the BLUE), but how much does that really relate to the average AM who has about a 1 1/2" strike zone? I don't know, but know that a 2019 driver/fairway/set of irons isn't going to dramatically improve my game over a set of clubs from 2018.

I've bought a new GT180 head and a new ST180 head within the last 2 weeks for under $275 total. If I don't like either, I'll be able to recoup most of my money and consider this experiment a wash. Now what happen if I ponied up $500 for a TM M5 or Cally Flash? I'd be pretty committed to it, even if it was horrible for me, and would probably then start chasing the "perfect" shaft and spend even more.

I have a '17 M1 440 that I like, and will probably stick with, but this is much cheaper ho'ing experience. I don't have outdoor ranges open, with every shaft available, so do a lot of self-fitting with older equipment.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I'll jump in.

I will not be trying anything from this year. I will however be trying a few from last year. I never buy anything on current release when I can wait a year or two. The tech hasn't improved dramatically between the '18 Mizuno Driver and the '19 Mizuno Drivers. They may have refined a "few" things like speed/forgiveness across the entire face/ looks (and in this case I don't really mind the BLUE), but how much does that really relate to the average AM who has about a 1 1/2" strike zone? I don't know, but know that a 2019 driver/fairway/set of irons isn't going to dramatically improve my game over a set of clubs from 2018.

I've bought a new GT180 head and a new ST180 head within the last 2 weeks for under $275 total. If I don't like either, I'll be able to recoup most of my money and consider this experiment a wash. Now what happen if I ponied up $500 for a TM M5 or Cally Flash? I'd be pretty committed to it, even if it was horrible for me, and would probably then start chasing the "perfect" shaft and spend even more.

I have a '17 M1 440 that I like, and will probably stick with, but this is much cheaper ho'ing experience. I don't have outdoor ranges open, with every shaft available, so do a lot of self-fitting with older equipment.

I would argue Mizuno has drastically changed this driver from the 180... It definitely sounds better, looks better, and they were obviously able to move weight around by going with the composite crown... It may be a little late to the game but looks and sound alone are an improvement and even Mizuno admits the blue kept it out of a lot of peoples hands, including tour pros. Now, I would never fault anyone for buying the previous generation, I do it often as well, but to say that this hasn't really changed much, I don't think is accurate. Play the 180 if it works for you but for the 190 with it's upgrades at a fair market driver price, I will gladly pony up the extra dough over the 180 and I considered the 180 as well. After hitting both, there's no question for me.

I'll jump in.

I would argue Mizuno has drastically changed this driver from the 180... It definitely sounds better, looks better, and they were obviously able to move weight around by going with the composite crown... It may be a little late to the game but looks and sound alone are an improvement and even Mizuno admits the blue kept it out of a lot of peoples hands, including tour pros. Now, I would never fault anyone for buying the previous generation, I do it often as well, but to say that this hasn't really changed much, I don't think is accurate. Play the 180 if it works for you but for the 190 with it's upgrades at a fair market driver price, I will gladly pony up the extra dough over the 180 and I considered the 180 as well. After hitting both, there's no question for me.

Yep totally agree there. I'm 100% getting the 190 driver. But the same can't be said for the fairway - a 138cc GT 180TS is just too hard to pass up compared to how big and deep this one is. The two otherwise wouldn't be too different, it's the physical specs which make all the difference for me.

I'll jump in.

I think his point is performance gains are so minimal(at best, and in most cases none) your paying over twice the price for a different color paint and sound. Which is fine if you want to. Im more along the lines of his opinion, ill save my money for other things, and still get a quality club.

I'll jump in.

I think his point is performance gains are so minimal(at best, and in most cases none) your paying over twice the price for a different color paint and sound. Which is fine if you want to. Im more along the lines of his opinion, ill save my money for other things, and still get a quality club.

Thank you - couldn't agree more. If the blue color really bothers you, I can completely understand, it just doesn't bother me that much and I kind of actually like it. Sound? Once again, I imagine I can deal with it, or add some hot melt. I read posts on most every new driver, and they almost all have some comments about how loud/tinny/aluminum softball bat they sound, so it's all relative and subjective.

As others have said, its a shame Mizuno woods are so hard to find at retailers to actually demo. If I could walk into the local GG and demo the 180 vs the 190 maybe my opinion would be way different? I'll admit I'd probably prefer the black over the blue, but it's just not a deal breaker for me at the cost difference. The composite crown is intriguing, and I could definitely see them being able to put some weight in better places. Hopefully with the adjustability of the GT 180 I can make up for some of this, although that remains to be seen.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

It’s not just the color or sound, although that certainly is improved. For me it’s more about the feel and performance.

We all have different swings and sometimes a club doesn’t work for some and is perfect for others.

I know people who love their Epic. For me, that was the worst feeling driver I’ve ever hit. It felt like I was hitting range balls instead of a ProV1.

I’ve always played Mizuno irons and Ive always wanted to play a Mizuno driver. I’ve give their new offerings a go every year.

This year it was the perfect combo of look, feel, sound and performance FOR ME.