Best Course Value in the Bay Area?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the best course value in the Bay  Area now.  Seem pretty expensive everywhere.

1863[/snapback]

No kidding! I don't know that there is a value around here, but Cinnebar's twilight starts pretty early, also Coyote Creek runs pretty good email specials but you have to join to get them.

The Presidio is worth a look IMO...

Overall, it hurts to actually pay for golf around here :lol: especially after you go around the country a little bit

Anyone else??

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

• 4 weeks later...

There's a $50 membership called the Northern California Golfer's Club- gets discounted rates at Tilden ($5), Franklin Canyon, and Monarch Bay ($10). That drops Monarch to $22 on weekdays.

Metropolitan Golf has coupons for UC-Berkeley Rec Sports members for 2 for 1 greens fees on Tuesdays.

Tilden used to do $10 after noon (12pm) green fees for UC-Berkeley students and staff on Tuesdays, not sure if that's still around.

Personally, I like the $20 (resident) all day rate at Santa Clara Golf and Tennis Club M-F. It's busy there, but if you tee off early, you can finish a round in 3.5-4 hours.

Shoreline is $38 on weekdays and it's a an all day fee too. Front nine is more interesting than the back- but the backside is a bomber's paradise, lots of open fairways with no real doglegs. You can hit driver 7 times if you like- or 9 if you can chip it 170-190 for the 2 par 3's.

Spring Valley and Summitepointe in Milpitas both do early bird specials- discounted rate if you tee off during the first hour of daylight.

And sometimes there are worhwhile coupons in tose golf guide magazines.

I'll keep my green fees as low as possible so I can afford to play as often as possible. Although, I haven't really played to often this year . . . yet.

• 5 months later...

ya..i work at Tilden..so i know that playing can be VERY expansive..especially in this area..but i do have to say that the NCGC (nor. cal. golfers club) is a GREAT deal..it gives an hour early twilight..cheaper rates..most def. worth it..u can sign up for it thru any American Golf course...monarch, franklin, tilden, summit, reserve at spanos, and now even San Geronimo is now going to become an American Golf course..but for rates..Cinnabar Hills is worth checking out..for the condition of the course (which is really nice by the way)..i cant really think of any others..but if any of you have kids to take out to play..American Golf lets kids out for $5..and if they are part of the Nike Golf Learning Program..its only $1..but rates are going to be expensive in this area in general..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Harding Park is great if you're a SF resident.

Shoreline during the week is decent and reasonable.

Stanford if you're a student (<$20 not including tuition. :cheesy: )

Poppy Hills if you are a NCGA member is the best deal in California - definitely worth it.

Don't forget Poppy Ridge as well - the other NCGA course. 3 nines, good condition.

• 1 month later...

Spring Valley is a nice course and often over looked. In Milpitas, tuckedin the hills.....it isn't the toughest of courses, but it does have som enice holes, as well a bit of elevation changes. 9 & 18 are straight par 4's that tee off over water from an elevated tee box. Nice tough, though the water isn't in play. The Par 5 6th hole is a blind uphill tee shot that can REALLY challenge you if you aren't on your game.

Prices are very decent too. They don't have a 'half cart' rate, which is lame. But it is a fun course, greens are good now, if a bit soft (yeah, soft).

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

• 2 months later...

Hi Guy's,

I'm up in the North Bay and have found good internet and club specials at some nice places.

Chardonnay from a SUPER LOW of $22 to $40

Hiddenbrook from a SUPER LOW of $29 to $40

Both of those were with cart. The drawback is that you just have to have the right timing to find and be able to book and play on short notice. These rates were during the week.

Walking rates at Vallejo's Blue Rock Springs and Mare Island are still in the $20 range.

I'd recomend to sign up for specials and stay away from the dreaded weekend and holiday rates!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

golfnow.com has some reasonable specials for places.

Santa Teresa is a very good muni, very reasonable during the week, a bit pricey on weekends ($59) but it is an all day fee.

Poppy Ridge is an awesome deal for NCGA members, same with Poppy Hills.

If you have a Passport Unlimited card you can get 20% off at Coyote Creek, and discounts at Los Lagos and Santa Teresa as well.

Santa Clara is reasonable even on the weekends. I find the greens are usually (not always) in decent shape. Better than Shoreline.

Shoreline isn't too bad. Of the 5 city muni's in the south bay (san jose, santa clara, sunnyvale, palo alto, and mountain view) it is probably the best conditioned course, though I agree the back is kind of boring, and I actually enjoy santa clara some more.

There are more reasonable deals in the East Bay (including the Livermore area) if you look at golfnow.com or ezlinks.net.

In the end though, golf in the bay area is expensive.

Eastern Contra Costa County always has some good deals. Roddy Ranch is a solid course that often has deals through their website. Also, Shadow Lakes (formerly a Troon property) just merged with Deer Ridge. If you sign-up for their email newsletter, they will send great internet only deals--typically 36 for 18, two for one, etc.

• 9 years later...

Thought I would bump this to see if there are any other good deals. I would add:

Tons of good deals on golf now but all of these green fees have shot up since this post.

SLDR 11* Fuji 6.2 TourSpec S
SLDR 15.5* Fuji 7.2 Tour Spec S
SLDR 20* Hybrid PX Blue 6.0
4-PW TMag TP MC '14 PXi 6.0
TMag TP 51*
Vokey SM5 54 and 60
Some old bullseye style thing

Checking in from Mare Island in Vallejo here. Hidden gem, come play here often enough and your game will be tuned up for anywhere.

Here's our rate sheet for anybody from anywhere, http://imgur.com/a/6XLmA

And here's our $30/year Players Club discount membership, this is extended to all Vallejo/Mare Island residents for free, http://imgur.com/oWPNnkG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Played Blue Rock Springs in Vallejo for the first time this weekend. A friend dragged me there and I didn't have any expectation but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Played the west course, which is a little short at 6,000 yds from the tips (par 71) during mid-morning. Except for one full hole and a few spots around the course it was pretty dry and in general in good condition. Greens were rolling very nicely and were pretty fast. Perfect track to shake off some rust after all the rains. There were plenty of people on the course so pace wasn't great- we were a threesome and finished in 4:40.

At $31 including cart I think this definitely qualifies as a great value around the Bay Area.

• 1 month later...

On average, I pay about $40 to $52 dollars as my window of okayness. You can get away with $29 dollar deals but that is more your Summit point, Santa Clara at certain time frames which are more your muni type courses which can do the job for most. I think Cinnabar by far for course quality is the best deal at $40 dollars for me.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 2 months later...

Played Blue Rock Springs in Vallejo for the first time this weekend. A friend dragged me there and I didn't have any expectation but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Played the west course, which is a little short at 6,000 yds from the tips (par 71) during mid-morning. Except for one full hole and a few spots around the course it was pretty dry and in general in good condition. Greens were rolling very nicely and were pretty fast. Perfect track to shake off some rust after all the rains. There were plenty of people on the course so pace wasn't great- we were a threesome and finished in 4:40.

At $31 including cart I think this definitely qualifies as a great value around the Bay Area.

Im not 100% sure on this but I heard from a recent playing partner that Blue rock is closing. It was owned by the city and sold to a developer.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...