Making a grip midsize question

hoselshot82 ·  
hoselshot82hoselshot82 Major WinnerWisconsinMembers  886WRX Points: 147Handicap: 5Posts: 886 Golden Tee
I have tried the golf price multicompound grips for the past few seasons but just don’t like the feel. I think the last grip I really enjoyed the the golf pride tour velvet cord grips. I realize that for some reason they don’t make a midsize grip in that model anymore, which I still finish ridiculous image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

My question is, if I took a standard gp cord grip and added 5-6 wraps of tape would that roughly equate to a midsize? What adding that much tape add “too much” weight to the butt end of the club? I realize they make the z cord in a midsize but that’s not really what I’m after.

Thanks in advance for the wrx expertise
Posted:

Comments

• monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers  835WRX Points: 249Handicap: 8.6Posts: 835 Golden Tee
    You can add layers of tape to get close to a midsize grip diameter.

I don't think a standard grip with multiple layers will fell exactly the same as a midsized grip with no layers as you'll be stretching the standard grip a good amount - but it is all about what feels good to you.

See chart

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/GripSizing2.pdf

I use blue painters tape instead of multiple layers of grip tape (grip tape goes on last)
    Posted:
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members  1511WRX Points: 305Posts: 1,511 Platinum Tees
    The midsize grips are quite a bit heavier than the standards, so I'm not sure the added build up tape to a standard grip will amount to a much heavier grip in the end compared to a midsize. I'm really not sure. I've built up grips with six layers without any trouble. Putter grips are different because they become more round in shape with that many layers, but since swing grips are obviously round anyways I think it just comes down to a slightly different feel.

Never compared them side by side, but you might have a look at the Crossline Full-Cord, they are available in midsize.
    Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  24796WRX Points: 1,469Posts: 24,796 Titanium Tees
    monkeyboy wrote:

See chart

https://www.golfwork...GripSizing2.pdf

I use blue painters tape instead of multiple layers of grip tape (grip tape goes on last)

Double sided tape is also a lot thicker. That chart/table references number of wraps to get the desired results with 0.010" build up tape (or masking tape is similar). If one uses double sided grip tape as the build up tape, the number of wraps needs to be reduced by 1/3rd (e.g +4 wraps instead of +6).

Maximilian wrote:

The midsize grips are quite a bit heavier than the standards, so I'm not sure the added build up tape to a standard grip will amount to a much heavier grip in the end compared to a midsize.

It will be fairly close.

Maximilian wrote:

Never compared them side by side, but you might have a look at the Crossline Full-Cord, they are available in midsize.

I agree that might be a good alternative. I might even suggest trying the UTX cord grips as well.
    Posted:
  • MattM97MattM97 Members  972WRX Points: 418Posts: 972 Golden Tee
    If you prefer Golf Pride try the Z-Grip Cord that comes in midsize, I have one on my hybrid and quite like it. Others would be the Crossline Full Cord like mentioned above but I think the Lamkin UTx is closer to the GP Tour Velvet Cord.

But you have options to try vs going with a ton of tape on each club.
    Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon San Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Members  489WRX Points: 76Posts: 489 Greens
    GolfBum82 wrote:

I have tried the golf price multicompound grips for the past few seasons but just don’t like the feel. I think the last grip I really enjoyed the the golf pride tour velvet cord grips. I realize that for some reason they don’t make a midsize grip in that model anymore, which I still finish ridiculous image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

My question is, if I took a standard gp cord grip and added 5-6 wraps of tape would that roughly equate to a midsize? What adding that much tape add “too much” weight to the butt end of the club? I realize they make the z cord in a midsize but that’s not really what I’m after.

Thanks in advance for the wrx expertise

MattM97 wrote:

If you prefer Golf Pride try the Z-Grip Cord that comes in midsize, I have one on my hybrid and quite like it.

Nice.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.