2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I can't comment on the current fw offerings. I'm hitting the ke4 st-fd that was discontinued. It has the deep face and matte black finish coupled with a xcaliber tfw shaft and love it. I'm hitting the " house" pro series shaft in the tour tc hybrid and really like it. I played the pro series shaft in my driver in Palm Springs last September but I ended up going back to the ping tour 65 shaft. The pro series "house" shafts are excellent shafts though.

The Maltby house brand ProSeries is a great low cost option. Britt learned a lot about shafts over the years juggling the Xcaliber line. Their shafts are made in the big factories right along with the top brands we all know. I have a Pro Series in a KE4 TC and find the S a bit soft to flex but I still get after the ball pretty hard. Actually I have always found the Maltby house brands to play a bit soft to flex.

For the hell of it I will try one of thier Pro Series in the new ISO T just so i know what I've got if someone wants an all stock club. Probably have up a couple of heads with Club Connexts and some shafts on hand.

As for their FW options.. they have always been great performers. Very easy to hit and long. Not a ton of press or buzz on them but have always been a good option for the money. Value wise good luck matching their performance for the price.

I myself am really looking to get back into a Maltby driver. It's been a while. I won my fair share of long drive holes with the CT250 heads.

"Playtime" with the TS2's is about to come to an end. I got them in the off season, shot a 67 and a couple of 71's. Love everything about them. All zero pressure rounds. Tomorrow is the official start to the "competitive" season. Looking forward to having some money on the line and enjoying these awesome irons.

The aspect of these that continue to impress me is the ability to flight down a "game imporovement" iron. In the past I've had to sacrifice the trajectory control I get with my blades in exchange for forgiveness with my more GI sets. For the first time I feel like I have complete trajectory control in a super forgiving design.

Interesting to see how you do in the heat of the battle. I face the same trial by fire this month and the TS-1,2 mixed bag will truly be tested. I have half a mind to bring down the full set of TS-2s if the practice round doesnt fair well I can go all TS-2... The curse of a tinkerer... But with that said I need to clear my head of that thought and 'Dance with the one you brung.'

Iron play was nearly flawless today. Shot 36 on the front with two birdies. A playing partner was also even at the turn and we both tensed up with “head to head” on our minds. I 3-putted four times on the back and chunked three wedges (not TS2) on the way to a 44 (other guy had same issues and shot 42). Hit 12 greens with several inside 8” (3-putted twice from 8’ being too aggressive).

Struck the ball way better than an 80 so I’m excited for the season. That’s about the worst score I could have put up for how I hit it overall.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

"Playtime" with the TS2's is about to come to an end. I got them in the off season, shot a 67 and a couple of 71's. Love everything about them. All zero pressure rounds. Tomorrow is the official start to the "competitive" season. Looking forward to having some money on the line and enjoying these awesome irons.

The aspect of these that continue to impress me is the ability to flight down a "game imporovement" iron. In the past I've had to sacrifice the trajectory control I get with my blades in exchange for forgiveness with my more GI sets. For the first time I feel like I have complete trajectory control in a super forgiving design.

Interesting to see how you do in the heat of the battle. I face the same trial by fire this month and the TS-1,2 mixed bag will truly be tested. I have half a mind to bring down the full set of TS-2s if the practice round doesnt fair well I can go all TS-2... The curse of a tinkerer... But with that said I need to clear my head of that thought and 'Dance with the one you brung.'

Iron play was nearly flawless today. Shot 36 on the front with two birdies. A playing partner was also even at the turn and we both tensed up with “head to head” on our minds. I 3-putted four times on the back and chunked three wedges (not TS2) on the way to a 44 (other guy had same issues and shot 42). Hit 12 greens with several inside 8” (3-putted twice from 8’ being too aggressive).

Struck the ball way better than an 80 so I’m excited for the season. That’s about the worst score I could have put up for how I hit it overall.

Still 10" of snow here in Eastern Oregon. KILLING ME. We have had two weeks of golf practice in the GYM.

Shafted up my set today-- Went with 5-6-7-8 in TS-2. 9-PW-GW in TS-1. Recoils 680. Going to finish the ferrules and grip them tomorrow.

Hope I get to use them before APRIL.

Sounds like my usual blow up. Chunked wedges. I release too early and bury it in the turf. Hopefully the longer sole on the M Series + will go along way to cure that flaw.

I'm thinking of picking up the new driver, and possibly a FW. Any thoughts on their fairway woods?

I've played Maltby equipment for years. Currently play the same

ke4 st-fd 14' head that another poster just noted. It's may favorite club in the bad. My complaint with the current Maltby FWs is that the faces seem too shallow for me.

I am buying the new driver and really looking forward to hitting it.

Popeye64, what would your thoughts be on using the ptm chromes for the 4,5 and 6 irons and 7 thru gap in the ts1's. Reason being I've been gaming the ptm' black since last summer and enjoy them but I,m not to keen on the looks of the short irons. Before that I came from the ping s58'. I believe the turf interaction will be better on the ts1 better than s58's even though the mpf is a little higher. The s58' are a little smaller too. I did purchase a ts1 in a 7 but hadn't had time to assemble
It should be a fairly seamless blend of two different heads. Loft wise they are a match at the 7 iron and only differ slightly as you go to the GW. You should have close to the same distances you have now. Those PTMs are a stable and great playing head and you will save some money using them as your 4,5,6. Should be a safe move for sure. I have a bunch of PTM 6 irons I use as fitting clubs and guys love them. As another point the sole design is fairly similar between the two so you should have that excellent turf interaction you are hoping for.

Looks wise the 7 on down TS-1 are as nice a looking iron as you will find today. From address to just sitting in the bag.

Popeye:

Long time Maltby fan here. How does the forgiveness of the PTM compare the TS1 or TS2? Thanks.

I'm thinking of picking up the new driver, and possibly a FW. Any thoughts on their fairway woods?

I've played Maltby equipment for years. Currently play the same

ke4 st-fd 14' head that another poster just noted. It's may favorite club in the bad. My complaint with the current Maltby FWs is that the faces seem too shallow for me.

I am buying the new driver and really looking forward to hitting it.

Thanks! I actually like a shallow face look. The only thing holding me back is the steel faces, as I've always preferred titanium.

But, some of the answers in the Q&A of the driver suggest it will be another month or two until the driver appears.

Popeye64, what would your thoughts be on using the ptm chromes for the 4,5 and 6 irons and 7 thru gap in the ts1's. Reason being I've been gaming the ptm' black since last summer and enjoy them but I,m not to keen on the looks of the short irons. Before that I came from the ping s58'. I believe the turf interaction will be better on the ts1 better than s58's even though the mpf is a little higher. The s58' are a little smaller too. I did purchase a ts1 in a 7 but hadn't had time to assemble
It should be a fairly seamless blend of two different heads. Loft wise they are a match at the 7 iron and only differ slightly as you go to the GW. You should have close to the same distances you have now. Those PTMs are a stable and great playing head and you will save some money using them as your 4,5,6. Should be a safe move for sure. I have a bunch of PTM 6 irons I use as fitting clubs and guys love them. As another point the sole design is fairly similar between the two so you should have that excellent turf interaction you are hoping for.

Looks wise the 7 on down TS-1 are as nice a looking iron as you will find today. From address to just sitting in the bag.

Popeye:

Long time Maltby fan here. How does the forgiveness of the PTM compare the TS1 or TS2? Thanks.

There is not a huge difference in forgiveness between the two but there is a difference. Visually the PTM looks larger but physically they are very close. That visual difference plays in the head and really gives the PTM the feeling of,,, you cant make a bad shot. Another thing is the PTM feels great and you can hit it off center and still get a great feel.

If you are on a budget the PTM is a great choice and you shouldn't think that you will be lose much on performance because they really do play great.

PTM is a victim of a great release from Maltby in the TS line that has just totally eclipsed it.

I have had two people choose the PTM over the TS series after demo-ing both clubs but budget was also a factor.

Popeye:

There is not a huge difference in forgiveness between the two but there is a difference. Visually the PTM looks larger but physically they are very close. That visual difference plays in the head and really gives the PTM the feeling of,,, you cant make a bad shot. Another thing is the PTM feels great and you can hit it off center and still get a great feel.

If you are on a budget the PTM is a great choice and you shouldn't think that you will be lose much on performance because they really do play great.

PTM is a victim of a great release from Maltby in the TS line that has just totally eclipsed it.

I have had two people choose the PTM over the TS series after demo-ing both clubs but budget was also a factor.

I would add that the vertical CG difference is noticeable, making the PTM extremely forgiving on low strikes but noticeably weak on higher strikes. The TS2 is much more forgiving higher on the face. On heel/toe strikes I would call it a tie.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

After toying with the notion of a mixed set of TS2 and TS1, I just figured that I’d go all TS2 and forego the bending to close the gaps, etc. I made a demo 7-iron TS2 with SteelFiber and a demo TS1 8-iron with the same shaft and both performed admirably. After playing in some powerful winds the other day the TS2 head just performed so well I decided to take the plunge. I figure I’ll just sell the TS1 8-iron head to whomever would like to give it a go.

I’m chomping at the bit to get the full set and put it into play. Let’s hope the weather starts to warm up soon!

Re fwy woods.....I have a Maltby UFW and it looks fantastic. Very clean and generous size without looking huge behind the ball. I have yet to hit it, but I have been intrigued for some time re: the rails or as GW calls them runners, and how that might offer some assistance from dodgy lies.

I have an ST-Fd (deep face version, no longer available) and a STf. Not sure wtf GW is thinking naming these, but anyway .... they both performed pretty good, but to me felt like duds. And not sure why, but they both have less face progression than a typical fwy wood. Definitely noticable at address, and not a good thing. Somewhere inbetween a hybrid and a typical fwy wood. I really wanted to like them both and the deep faces are a plus for me, but I hit my RBZ a lot farther. Not even close. We shall see how the UFW compares!

My ts1 3 iron will be here today. I'll have to look into the new udi when it comes out if the ts1 doesnt workout, Popeye I look forward to your review.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Re fwy woods.....I have a Maltby UFW and it looks fantastic. Very clean and generous size without looking huge behind the ball. I have yet to hit it, but I have been intrigued for some time re: the rails or as GW calls them runners, and how that might offer some assistance from dodgy lies.

I have an ST-Fd (deep face version, no longer available) and a STf. Not sure wtf GW is thinking naming these, but anyway .... they both performed pretty good, but to me felt like duds. And not sure why, but they both have less face progression than a typical fwy wood. Definitely noticable at address, and not a good thing. Somewhere inbetween a hybrid and a typical fwy wood. I really wanted to like them both and the deep faces are a plus for me, but I hit my RBZ a lot farther. Not even close. We shall see how the UFW compares!

Re the ST-Fd, for sure different strokes for different..... That club is hands down the best feeling and looking 3 wood I’ve ever had ( and I’ve had a lot). The face progression is perfect. Really sad GW discontinued that head.

Wait. Cer-VX was an actual club ?

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Told my wife about the CER-VX products, her response was, "that's awful."

LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Re the ST-Fd, for sure different strokes for different..... That club is hands down the best feeling and looking 3 wood I’ve ever had ( and I’ve had a lot). The face progression is perfect. Really sad GW discontinued that head.

The STf are quite deep face as well, but not as large as the ST-Fd which is really a mini IMO. Gonna have to bust it out again to give her another try!

Trying to stay loose for the Pinehurst trip. I forget how solid the KE4 club line was. This one lives on the tug boat trying to hit a dozen or so balls a day till Wednesday when I get home

In a prior life I was in business valuation, and I valued stock in a company that operated tugs in the Houston ship channel. Holy crap. You guys are good! Did I hear stories...

Trying to stay loose for the Pinehurst trip. I forget how solid the KE4 club line was. This one lives on the tug boat trying to hit a dozen or so balls a day till Wednesday when I get home bbc4c1ab0cef2c1ec74b9bb1140aa2d0.jpgce144b0f02905204758463ef1f331838.jpg

Great clubs. Had a set. NOTHING wrong with them. Just had to have something new. Really good stick.
I sold quite a few sets. People always loved them.

Popeye. Is that a Xcaliber Tour X shaft you have in the KE4? Always wanted to build out a set with those. No idea how they played, but thought they were uniquely cool looking. Certainly distinctive. Only experience with AXE was a hybrid shaft in an old S.E. QS 4 23*.

Yeah, I'm aware that Xcaliber is trying to come back to life. But they're website is currently down, not a good sign.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs