2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Club champion question

mdhacker123

So help me wrap my head around this or are they a scam. As an example we will use m6 cause it’s easy price $500

First, let’s say I go for fitting and pay the $150 and find out an after market shaft is best. They charge you $500 for the club(even tho your just getting the head) then $250 for shaft l. So your new driver has cost you $900.

Now let’s say I go get fitted there $150, they tell me the shaft. I then go to the store and buy it off the rack for $500 then order the shaft at $250. Same price but I can resell the stock shaft it came with to recoup some cost. Am I just wrong in thinking that or do stock shafts not sell?

Just seems it’s kinda a scam they are chargingyou full price as if your buying a head and shaft but your still paying full price for the aftermarket shaft and they can keep the stock and I’m sure either sell or trade I assume. I would see the fairness as hey the head cost $350 or $400 and shaft cost this, that to me seems fair and reasonable.

driver callaway xhot 2 8.5 S
irons: callaway xhot 2 4-aw
Hybrid: Baffler 19deg
3wood callaway xhot
putter: Ping scottsdale 2
wedges: taylormade atv 52 56

So help me wrap my head around this or are they a scam. As an example we will use m6 cause it's easy price $500

First, let's say I go for fitting and pay the $150 and find out an after market shaft is best. They charge you $500 for the club(even tho your just getting the head) then $250 for shaft l. So your new driver has cost you $900.

Now let's say I go get fitted there $150, they tell me the shaft. I then go to the store and buy it off the rack for $500 then order the shaft at $250. Same price but I can resell the stock shaft it came with to recoup some cost. Am I just wrong in thinking that or do stock shafts not sell?

Just seems it's kinda a scam they are chargingyou full price as if your buying a head and shaft but your still paying full price for the aftermarket shaft and they can keep the stock and I'm sure either sell or trade I assume. I would see the fairness as hey the head cost $350 or $400 and shaft cost this, that to me seems fair and reasonable.

You are ignoring their overhead (rent, utilities, employees, equipment, etc.). It probably cost them $750 per day to open the front door before customer one walks in. Your overhead to do a shaft swap, close to nothing.

When I spoke with them and asked in the end can I still get the stock shaft and they advised no.

I guess if you don’t mind spending potentially $800-$1000 plus for a driver but I’ll look elsewhere.

3wood callaway xhot

For this money you could likely consider 2 or 3 lessons with your Coach and a Trackman.

Get all numbers per session test other suggestions have Coach recheck and your peace of mind as you see the progression to Optimum numbers per category will really help you. I did this say 6 years ago in the TM Supertri R9 era and i learned i CAN max out smash factor on a smooth swing!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I know only 10 people or so who have been through our local club champion, which i believe is in Needham MA. All of them were "fit" into high end expensive shafts either OBAN, GD, and steelfibers for the one that went for irons. just seems odd that all those guys with completely different games all fit into a select few brands. you also hit indoors only at this location, one of these guys was unhappy with his oban shaft in his 5 wood once on the course and told me it was a huge hassle for them to make things right one way or another. As for the overhead, which other fitters don't have very similiar overheads? or have the same tech either trackman or foresight?

i could also be way off, if club champion is only in the business of selling high end shafts then i guess your gonna pay a premium regardless.

I know only 10 people or so who have been through our local club champion, which i believe is in Needham MA. All of them were "fit" into high end expensive shafts either OBAN, GD, and steelfibers for the one that went for irons. just seems odd that all those guys with completely different games all fit into a select few brands. you also hit indoors only at this location, one of these guys was unhappy with his oban shaft in his 5 wood once on the course and told me it was a huge hassle for them to make things right one way or another. As for the overhead, which other fitters don't have very similiar overheads? or have the same tech either trackman or foresight?

i could also be way off, if club champion is only in the business of selling high end shafts then i guess your gonna pay a premium regardless.

Club Champion in Needham two years ago fit me into a stock Ping shaft on the I200s

In my opinion you can go there, get your #’s and recommendations and purchase elsewhere. I knew somebody in the same boat. Was close to $1000 for a driver. He ended up buying the exact setup for $600 which was $250 lesss (minus the fitting fee) Their prices are inflated to pay for overhead- salaries-all their inventory. It is their business model and people pay it or they would not be in business. To me I would never pay it. Not a money issue for me I just do not like overpaying for something. If you see the value then go with it.

I went in for a driver fitting expressly wanting to try TPT shafts ($500) and they actually fit me into a much cheaper shaft - the VA Drago. On top of that, I ended up buying the G400 Max myself, which I bought using some credit on global golf. They snagged the adapter from the stock shaft to put on my Drago and even returned the pulled Ping stock shaft back to me.

They couldn't have been more gracious or helpful. It was also fun and great for peace of mind to be able to hit tons and tons of exotic shafts. There was no question in my mind that the one I was fitted with worked best for my swing.

I really think it helps if you communicate with them from the beginning. They get a lot of s*** for the prices, but the equipment they offer is second to none.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

I recently got fit at CC, and ended up buying my clubs through them. Did I pay a premium? Certainly. Could I have taken the info and gone elsewhere to save some money? Yup. So why spend the extra money? Well, the service and attention to detail during the fitting was excellent, and I anticipate service after the sale to be likewise. I was curious about grip size so my fitter put a larger grip on one of my existing clubs - didn't charge me for the grip or the labor. Of course I know they're making plenty of money off me, but the one-stop-shop and quick turnaround is something I'm willing to pay a premium for. I think service is worth money, and if I'm in something for the long haul, I would like to build a relationship with a shop that go the extra mile to make things right. Totally YMMV though - I understand why some will bias price. People are different.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

So help me wrap my head around this or are they a scam. As an example we will use m6 cause it’s easy price $500

First, let’s say I go for fitting and pay the $150 and find out an after market shaft is best. They charge you $500 for the club(even tho your just getting the head) then $250 for shaft l. So your new driver has cost you $900.

Now let’s say I go get fitted there $150, they tell me the shaft. I then go to the store and buy it off the rack for $500 then order the shaft at $250. Same price but I can resell the stock shaft it came with to recoup some cost. Am I just wrong in thinking that or do stock shafts not sell?

Just seems it’s kinda a scam they are chargingyou full price as if your buying a head and shaft but your still paying full price for the aftermarket shaft and they can keep the stock and I’m sure either sell or trade I assume. I would see the fairness as hey the head cost $350 or $400 and shaft cost this, that to me seems fair and reasonable.

You’re dramatically overvaluing stock shafts. The vendors are holding them to MAP pricing, regardless of how the club is “rung up” on the OEM side. A retailer of their scale is on head only programs, without a doubt. The labor cost alone of pulling countless shafts, plus the time to either dispose of them or sell them to recoup any cost (which would be negligible returns, likely a loss) would be prohibitive. Additionally, in your example the actual retail price of the driver would be $750. You paid $150 for someone’s time. No different than parts and service on a car. One transaction, but two different items.

• Like 1

14 clubs

Not a scam Its their business model. They spell out on their website their business model and they deliver the clubs that perform best for you and if you tell them you have a budget, they will tailor the fitting to stay within that.

No doubt they are pricey, and I agree with the other poster about their overhead costs. it must be through the roof. Their facility, equipment, selections of clubs and shafts and their spec builds are premium.

If I were a club fitter and my living depended on fitting and selling clubs, considering my labor, investment in equipment and building supplies, etc.. I doubt I would sell you a club for much less than CC would. Think about it.

I agree if people want to pay for that particular service then more power to them. Now I don’t reside close to one but I really prefer the pga SS policy of buying a club and if it meets the criteria you can return it in 30 days for something else. Unfortunately I’ve seen one too many times that the numbers don’t equal real world results. Years ago I hit the callaway fusion and the numbers were great, however when used during actually rounds of golf the distance was no where near, launch was insane, spin was high. Pretty much the club performed the opposite of what the numbers said.

I’m going to try and find outdoor ranges with either demos or fitting days and avoid CC. I’d hate to spend that much on “numbers” but the club doesn’t perform as well in real environment.

3wood callaway xhot

I agree if people want to pay for that particular service then more power to them. Now I don’t reside close to one but I really prefer the pga SS policy of buying a club and if it meets the criteria you can return it in 30 days for something else. Unfortunately I’ve seen one too many times that the numbers don’t equal real world results. Years ago I hit the callaway fusion and the numbers were great, however when used during actually rounds of golf the distance was no where near, launch was insane, spin was high. Pretty much the club performed the opposite of what the numbers said.

I’m going to try and find outdoor ranges with either demos or fitting days and avoid CC. I’d hate to spend that much on “numbers” but the club doesn’t perform as well in real environment.

I agree 100%. I would never invest that much money without hitting outdoors on grass for my fitting. I know many places allow you come back and they tweak clubs but boy that can be time consuming. I have seen to many people return irons because the turf interaction does not work for them. Drivers that is not an issue but I still want to hit outdoors and not buy based on a monitor.

I agree 100%. I would never invest that much money without hitting outdoors on grass for my fitting. I know many places allow you come back and they tweak clubs but boy that can be time consuming. I have seen to many people return irons because the turf interaction does not work for them. Drivers that is not an issue but I still want to hit outdoors and not buy based on a monitor.

The fitter at a CC actually told me their TM numbers can be a little suspect with driver fittings and continued to say he wouldn’t switch to a driver unless he saw actual ball flight. He then said for repeat customers they will sometimes let them borrow clubs to take to the course after a fitting just to confirm it works.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I agree if people want to pay for that particular service then more power to them. Now I don't reside close to one but I really prefer the pga SS policy of buying a club and if it meets the criteria you can return it in 30 days for something else. Unfortunately I've seen one too many times that the numbers don't equal real world results. Years ago I hit the callaway fusion and the numbers were great, however when used during actually rounds of golf the distance was no where near, launch was insane, spin was high. Pretty much the club performed the opposite of what the numbers said.

I'm going to try and find outdoor ranges with either demos or fitting days and avoid CC. I'd hate to spend that much on "numbers" but the club doesn't perform as well in real environment.

The fitter at a CC actually told me their TM numbers can be a little suspect with driver fittings and continued to say he wouldn't switch to a driver unless he saw actual ball flight. He then said for repeat customers they will sometimes let them borrow clubs to take to the course after a fitting just to confirm it works.

I agree because Ive been getting numbers demoing an M5 that are game changers

Club Champion actually has a guarantee that they call the "perfect fit guarantee". They told me that this means if the club or clubs you buy from them does not perform outside like it did during your fitting, you come back to them and they will do what ever they need to do to make it perform that way. I know this because I had an issue with my driver that I bought from them, I simply couldn't hit it like I did during the fitting. Reached out to my fitter, he told me to come back in, after about 30 minutes we had figured out that the shaft was just too heavy and too stiff for me. They put in another shaft that was actually cheaper than the original shaft, credited me back the difference, and I was on my way. This 2nd shaft has been amazing. The way my fitter told it, buying clubs from them is basically no risk. They will work with you until they get it right. They also will give free loft and lie checks for as long as you have irons or wedges that you buy from them. Also, now that I have been to these guys a few times, they don't even charge me for fittings any more. I cannot recommend these guys enough. Their prices aren't cheap, but you are paying for the 100% quality service that they give you.

Also, they are a heads only account. They do not receive fully built clubs. If you want the "stock" shafts along with the custom shaft that you may buy, they can get it for you, but they have to order a fully built club, and then pull it apart to put your custom shaft into the head. I was told that the only brand that doesn't send them heads only was Ping, and that they throw away 100+ stock Ping shafts a week because they are not worth the shipping to sell them. Basically they told me that stock shafts are worthless and if you spend over 10 bucks on them you paying 100%+ mark up on them. The OEM's pay less that 3-4 dollars a shaft for stock shafts.

Also, they are a heads only account. They do not receive fully built clubs. If you want the "stock" shafts along with the custom shaft that you may buy, they can get it for you, but they have to order a fully built club, and then pull it apart to put your custom shaft into the head. I was told that the only brand that doesn't send them heads only was Ping, and that they throw away 100+ stock Ping shafts a week because they are not worth the shipping to sell them. Basically they told me that stock shafts are worthless and if you spend over 10 bucks on them you paying 100%+ mark up on them. The OEM's pay less that 3-4 dollars a shaft for stock shafts.

According to my fitter, Ping finally agreed to a heads-only account beginning of this year - they were the last holdout. I ordered i210s from CC and I had the clubs in my hands 4 business days later (lucked out with overnight shipping needed for another order).

So help me wrap my head around this or are they a scam. As an example we will use m6 cause it's easy price $500

First, let's say I go for fitting and pay the $150 and find out an after market shaft is best. They charge you $500 for the club(even tho your just getting the head) then $250 for shaft l. So your new driver has cost you $900.

Now let's say I go get fitted there $150, they tell me the shaft. I then go to the store and buy it off the rack for $500 then order the shaft at $250. Same price but I can resell the stock shaft it came with to recoup some cost. Am I just wrong in thinking that or do stock shafts not sell?

Just seems it's kinda a scam they are chargingyou full price as if your buying a head and shaft but your still paying full price for the aftermarket shaft and they can keep the stock and I'm sure either sell or trade I assume. I would see the fairness as hey the head cost $350 or $400 and shaft cost this, that to me seems fair and reasonable.

Stock shafts that come with these high end club heads are worthless. After market shaft is where its at.

I completely agree with you on price but Trackman alone is 30,000 dollars. I have been to club champion twice and never pulled the trigger in terms of purchasing. My wife would kill me. Ha.

Do I believe in it? Of course I have been socking money away to possibly to do a fitting and purchase clubs.

This is completely off subject, but did/do you use to post on a p-car forum?

I recently got fit at CC, and ended up buying my clubs through them. Did I pay a premium? Certainly. Could I have taken the info and gone elsewhere to save some money? Yup. So why spend the extra money? Well, the service and attention to detail during the fitting was excellent, and I anticipate service after the sale to be likewise. I was curious about grip size so my fitter put a larger grip on one of my existing clubs - didn't charge me for the grip or the labor. Of course I know they're making plenty of money off me, but the one-stop-shop and quick turnaround is something I'm willing to pay a premium for. I think service is worth money, and if I'm in something for the long haul, I would like to build a relationship with a shop that go the extra mile to make things right. Totally YMMV though - I understand why some will bias price. People are different.

This is completely off subject, but did/do you use to post on a p-car forum?

I did indeed. And a bass guitar forum. I have a short attention span...