Ping I500 Real Course Reviews Please!!

twgolf78

Still Loving. Got a couple bent strong to close a gap, and they keep getting better. No clanks with ProV1s. Hard range balls, yup and inconsistent distances. On the course, no problem. The finish, still looking good.

Btw, for anyone that thinks one club is off, or doesn't "spring" as much...had the same problem. It was the lie angle and when it got changed, POW. More consistent bombing ensued.

I really like these, perform well, get through the turf (digger), consistent on misses. But...it's all preference at this point.

Still Loving. Got a couple bent strong to close a gap, and they keep getting better. No clanks with ProV1s. Hard range balls, yup and inconsistent distances. On the course, no problem. The finish, still looking good.

Btw, for anyone that thinks one club is off, or doesn't "spring" as much...had the same problem. It was the lie angle and when it got changed, POW. More consistent bombing ensued.

I really like these, perform well, get through the turf (digger), consistent on misses. But...it's all preference at this point.

Yep. Which goes back to what I've preached. Strike. And I've said 100 times that these irons are the most sensitive for lie angle I've ever owned. I dialed them in over a months time.

What are your lie angles?. im curious.

Well without going to my notes for exact degrees ( Im not at the shop where my notes are ). Mine are 4 up of standard in the 6-pw and 3 up for 3-5. Also mine are 1/2 inch over standard length and I do swing pretty upright. ( tall ). Now Ill also say there maybe a 1 degree bump one way or another. I tunes one iron at a time adjusting a degree at a time ( I bend them myself ) . And wrote the exact degree down. I dont remember which irons varied a touch. But 3-4 upright is the ballpark answer.

For reference Blade, I’m assuming this is off black dot? Also, what’s your typical lie angle for a “normal” set?

I was hitting my PW 140 on the course, verified on trackman. Dropped one out at 140 on one hole and hit my glide 2.0 50* and striped it 140.

So as-is my 45* i500 goes the same distance as my 50* glide 2.0.

My 9-iron is fine, so for now I’m giving up and throwing a glide 2.0 46* PW in the bag.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

Normally play 2 ish up of titleist standard. And yes up from black dot.

Shafts same in pw and glide ? Sounds like a spin issue in a way ? Have you checked the loft of the pw and 50 ? One maybe 47 and the other 48. 2 off both ways equals almost even. How far is the 9 iron going?

Mine are off a 48 degree pw ( super retro lofts ) and my full high draw ( longest carry traj and shape ) is 142 with pw. My 9 iron is 154 max. I’d call it 150 if a front pin. Something is off somewhere. And I’d bet anything it has nothing to do with the face hotness.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I had the specs checked on my 9 which was a tick under 41*, supposed to be 40*. The PW was dead on the specs at 45*.

I never checked my 50, but I’ve played 50’s in multiple models and it’s always been 135-140. So it has to be close. My PW’s in my last few sets played 46* and usually that’s my stock 150 club.

I’m getting my stock 160 out of the 9, but the PW just won’t go. 140-145 max.

They are currently shafted with modus 105 x’s which are way too light for me. I’m re-shafting this week which will help out, but I’m just gonna game the glide for my PW. It’s really odd to have such a huge gap there.

I am not swinging great so it could be partly on me, but I’m still getting my 140 out of my gap and it’s basically matching my set PW.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

I just checked out the Maltby Playability Factor for i500s. The MPF is 188, which puts the 6-iron in the Players Classic category, with the likes of muscle back irons.

I ordered a i500 6-iron, which I haven't hit yet. Generally I play a combo set of AP1 - AP2. AP1 in 6-iron.

Should I be concerned?

Guess I'll have to report back. Might end up going G700 or G410 for 5-iron and 6-iron, maybe 7-iron.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have played around 10 rounds with the i500, getting to know them a little and really enjoying less offset than my previous irons (Taylormade M2).

Coming from M2's that had stronger loft's, I was fitted and chose to get the "Power Spec" loft's that were somewhat similar to the irons that I was playing.

Surprised how much i like the 4 iron, very easy to hit, I have been using it off the tee a lot.

Highest and straightest irons that I have ever hit, when you get it in the center of the face, the ball flies.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

> @me05501 said:

> Interesting that so many people mention feel as it relates to these irons.

>

>

>

> It isn't like Ping irons have ever been known for their feel. When they're flushed, they feel like nothingness. That's how you know you hit the sweet spot. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

>

>

>

> What they are known for is predictable trajectory and tons of distance control, and it sounds like a lot of people are finding that to be true with the i500's.

Traditionally this is true, but Ping truly has everything now. The iBlades are a different animal. Deceptively forgiving with a very solid pleasant feel when hit out of the center. And of course forged purists can get Blueprints, although I'm not sure how big that market will be with so many competitors.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

If you have difficulties hitting the center of the face, you are going to struggle with these irons. But after you have adjusted, just like any equipment change, you'll love these irons. I have had them for about 8 months and am playing them fairly well. I enjoy the sound, they aren't forgiving, but I don't blame the irons when I miss the face, I blame the swing. Overall a solid 8/10 iron that I'll keep in the bag for atleast 2-3 years.

• Like 1

I began playing these over the winter. With courses cold, windy and very wet I started very well with them. I went through a "slump", where my swing began to break down compensating for conditions and I began hitting irons thin and of course began to get very unhappy with the i500's. As all of this was going on, my handicap still dropped. It was confusing and frustrating. Before I sold the i500's I put on the Winn Dri-tac grip that I had used almost exclusively for years. Now I'm keeping the i500's in the bag. Soft courses or hard and tight, I just like the trajectory and turf interaction. I still get careless from time to time and catch one thin, they don't feel as sweet as the forged iron that now reside in the back up bag, but the trajectory, control and dependable performance have allowed me to get my index under 12 for the first time ever.

I'll be 60 next month and on a day when the driver thought his nick name was Earnhardt and made everything go hard then turn left, I managed an 84 on a 7000 yard course in a round with 4 penalty strokes. (REALLY struggled off the box).

The i500's and Stealth Glide 2.0's got me out of trouble and in position to save a couple of bogies, make more easy pars and several birdies.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I am in love with mine. I was fitted right when they came out and have 30+ rounds on them. I want to get my gaps checked. A flushed 7i can go 185 - 190 which created too much of a gap over the 8 at 165 ish. I think if you have the swing speed, sound is not clicky at all. Thin shots in the long irons can sound bad, but still go. Hopefully these stay in the bag a long time

G430 Max 9* - Ventus Blue 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

T20 50*

Jaws Raw 54 & 59*
Versa 7
Tour B X

I just got fit for a new set with Oban CT-100 stiff shafts and standard lofts at CC 2 weeks ago. Coming out of a off the rack set of 2016 M2’s. Currently play Pro V1’s. They were the clear number 1 for me. My ball speed and smash went way up while my club head speed actually decreased. Launched lower but apexed higher. Spin rate was a little low which I guess is to be expected. They’re due in next week so I haven’t got a chance to take them out yet.

One question after reading through this thread though is it seemed like these dictated a ball change for some. I’ll probably test a few out, but did anybody find better result in maybe a switch from ProV1/TP5 to ProV1x/TP5x? Trackman numbers shown below:

27kzgtompzvh.jpeg

It looks like the smash factor and decreased spin afford far more efficiency.

Your current ProV1 should do well. It is a good time to experiment a little. You may well keep using them or you may find a different fit for your game.

I’ve experimented with higher spin and lower spin balls and see modest differences in trajectory. For me the firmer balls are a bit shorter by about half a club in irons.

Demoed these today and was really impressed with the high launch, and how well I hit it. I was leaning towards the p790 before but shot for shot I was just hitting these better with the same shaft. Seeing the horror stories and buyers remorse on these has me concerned to pull the trigger to get fitted.

Callaway Epic
TaylorMade M2 2016 3HL, 5HL Wood
Ping G20 23º hybrid
TaylorMade M2 Tour 5-PW
Callaway MD2 52º, 56º, 60º
Odyssey White Hot Rx 2-Ball

2 weeks, 2 rounds, 2 personal bests on 2 different courses. Driver is still imitating a German warplane lately... a hookin' Fokker (60% fairways) but irons are once again becoming a strength of my game. The trajectory and consistency are definitely making me a believer. With these i500's I'm increasing GIR's and simple 2 putt pars and more birdies in the past 2 rounds than I can recall for a long time. Courses playing tight and firm, no problem with launching these, even off hard pan. Loft for loft, the i500's are perhaps a tad longer than my forged CB's, but the trajectory and dispersion are definitely increasing my confidence.

After verifying swingweights and putting on the grips I'm most comfortable with, I've gone from "on the fence" to becoming solidly in the i500 camp.

> @home0006 said:

> Demoed these today and was really impressed with the high launch, and how well I hit it. I was leaning towards the p790 before but shot for shot I was just hitting these better with the same shaft. Seeing the horror stories and buyers remorse on these has me concerned to pull the trigger to get fitted.

There will always be horror stories, for reasons known and unknown. If I wanted to own a car without horror stories I would be walking everywhere. Not wanting to walk everywhere, I am forced to make my own judgments, grin.

I am a good player who is older and losing some distance, and I find these irons to be perfect. I have played nothing but Ping irons for over 30 years, and this one is my favorite. I have absolutely no knowledge of their supposed inconsistency, or sound, or feel , or gapping problems because I don’t experience *any* of these things. They fly longer and higher and they stop on the green, they are very forgiving for what they are, and they look great at address - compact, thin top line, lack of offset, just what the good Lord wanted golf clubs to look like.

• Like 1

After many years with the same forged CB, i wasn’t sure i’d ever be as comfortable with another iron, but I am now at a place with these i500’s where i simply focus on a smooth swing through the bottom. I’m getting a level of consistency right now that I haven’t achieved in a good while and frankly I’m enjoying the game on a whole new level right now. I just feel much more relaxed and don’t feel like i’m “grinding” over many shots.

While I may not be explaining it very well, the mental part of the game seems simpler, much more relaxed. Use the right loft, swing full and smooth, get good results. Simple to flight down when desired, stock swing for high penetrating flight and distances I can trust.

At this moment, playing these irons reminds me of the joy I found when I first played this game more than 45 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

The more I play the i500’s, the lower my handicap is going. I’m lovin’ the results.

My hdcp index is down for the second consecutive month with my lowest recorded handicap ever. Last month was the first time I achieved better than an12. Today it is another stroke better and I believe I will actually achieve my long time goal of a single digit hdcp this season. The i500’s will definitely have played a positive part in that.

I may not be a rocket surgeon, ? but I know quality equipment properly applied can provide a better result.

• 5 weeks later...

i was in a 2 day tournament after not playing for 2 weeks. a moderate warm up on the range too much time waiting for a delayed start, then off to the course.

My confidence with these i500’s is still on the uptick. During the tournament, I found i was able to comfortably hit different shots as they were called for. Course conditions were very firm with tight lies, greens so firm I only found less than a dozen ball marks in 2 rounds.

A high 5 iron 190 into a back ledge on very firm greens, a knock down 9 iron from 125 due to an old oak overhanging the right side of a fairway. I don’t recall even attempted a knock down with these irons until then, but I felt confident enough to use the shot on the 34th hole of the tournament and saved par. I didn’t get it close, but the 20 footer was left of the hole because I didn’t align properly for the shot. The flight was on the desired trajectory, maybe 15 feet or so, the ball hit the green and checked up appropriately.

I now trust the natural high trajectory, can flight it down in a wind and even though I struggle normally to hit a fade, I can now hit a high straight shot that will tail off a bit to the right as it reaches it’s apex and land softly.

I know this is long, but the bottom line for me is that. Like these so well, last night I turned down a set of Srixon 765’s for $150. I never would have thought I’d walk away from a set of the srixon’s at such a good price.

The i500’s are staying at least for the rest of the season. Even though they’re bigger than the forged irons I played for years, they look great and perform as good as they look.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve been working to get my swing more consistent and had a hankering to hit my forged cb’s and even put them in my bag on Monday evening. I know I can play well with these and have read enough “i500’s feel like crap” posts that I wanted to hit them side by side.

I Had unexpected opportunity to head to the range Wednesday so I grabbed the forged blade PW and CB 8 iron. I wanted to experience that forged feel again. I Intended to grab the i500 8 iron but accidentally got the 7.

Warmed up with about a dozen PW’s and moved to some smooth 3/4 8 irons. As I put some full swings I had mostly good center strikes (caught a couple thin when I got too fast) and was hitting some very nice shots, mostly a baby draw 2-3 yards lava ding just left of target line. Shots I’d be happy with on about any approach shot. Distance was solid, 150ish and consistent.

Time for the i500. First, the 7 iron i500has the same loft as my forged 6 iron, so I’m expecting 165-170.

The first shot caught me by surprise. I saw the same height as my 8 iron, but a bit more penetrating launch, high apex and soft landing 175+ and dead straight. I hit a few more and varied target lines and the results remained the same. Dispersion was very tight and even a couple of “thins” would have found the fringe if not the green.

While I went to clarify for myself the difference in feel, flight and dispersion, the forged CB wins feel by the slimmest of margins. Both are about equally soft on center strikes and on the low face strikes the forged was slightly more kind. The i500 wins on flight and dispersion easily. Even though I was hitting an equivalent 2 clubs stronger and 25 yards longer the dispersion was tighter and the flight perfect. (For me)

When I got home I put the i500’s back in the bag where they belong.

• 2 months later...

I just got a set of i500 through global golf utry program. I play iblades and after my round today play with iblades I went by a range with mats because it was closer to home.

hard to tell distance and the i500 shafts are dg 105 vs my Dynamic gold s300.i already play i500 in my 4 iron but wondering if this shaft is going to be too light?!

My experience of the i500 was a very positive and learning experience. The i500 head does exactly what it is designed for, high launch, moderate spin which allows strong penetrating flight and outstanding looks. My index is 2.4 strokes lower than I have ever achieved. Down 3.5 strokes this season.

I also relearned very loud and clear just how Important the proper shaft is. The i500’s came with DG105 S300. I hadn’t been much of a fan of the DG over the years and now understand that I cannot feel where the club head is during the swing. I swing this club very well on the range, but to score well I find myself playing golf swing rather than just seeing the desired shot and acting with my natural swing because of the shaft. Later in the round I found I was over swinging due to fatigue and lack of “feel” with the DG shaft. I was about to put my preferred shaft in these when a friend made me an offer for the i500’s I could not turn down. Now I see the them every week in his bag.

Bottom line: I’d game this head again enthusiastically with my preferred shaft. They perform very well, the feel on contact is very smooth (except thin contact) and they flat out perform. They look great too. In the bag and at address they’re as beautiful as the ball flight they create.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay,

Some of the comments I have read on here are just utterly bizarre! However its an internet forum and I guess we are all entitled to air our opinions and thoughts.

I have been playing the i500's for a while now. Got fitted and went for a set up of 4-U wedge with Recoil shafts. Now before we go any further I have been playing Ping irons exclusively for 28 years now with only the one unfaithful brief affair with a set of Mizuno irons which I absolutely detested from the first strike. Maybe I am accustomed to Ping's and how they "feel" maybe I have grown to love the feel of a Ping iron but for me these are easily the best feeling Ping iron I have had in my hands for a long time. They certainly offer greater feedback than the i200's which I changed away from. I have experienced no ballooning, I've not experienced any "flier" rogue 20+ yard rockets that some are reporting and more importantly I am not hearing any horrible noise at impact or any loss of "feel".

These are exactly what they say on the tin, they perform as I expected, actually they exceeded what I expected and I have no complaints. The head shape is fantastic, really suits my eye, the ball flight and feel is what I expected/wanted and with the recoil shaft I have a set of irons that work for me. I'm delighted with these irons.

Feel is subjective, one mans meat is another mans poison etc so we can skip on feel argument. Looks wise I don't think we can criticise Ping as they look tremendous in my opinion. Performance, well so far they're doing just fine.

I'm a happy Ping camper.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

I'd have to agree with Craw. The Ping i500's really scratch all the itches I have with a set of irons.

Over the years, I have played most every model of Pings made, and the i500's are forgiving, high launching, solid, good-looking, modern-lofted, workable and adequately good-feeling.

I was originally put-off by all the unfavorable comments about i500's on this site, but am glad I decided to try a set to see for myself.

Like Craw said, one man's meat is another man's poison - the only one you have to please is yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

agree 100% with Craw

Hello all, this is my first post on Golf WRX.

I'm not new to golf, nc state championship team 86, full scholarship to college etc. took about 30 years off and back loving the sport. I've had a few 4 over par rounds now but my 919's lack the low loft numbers I need to move back to the longest tees of my 7k+ yard course. I want to blame the fitter but feel now after sorting through all the promotional bs regarding club naming and loft numbers that people can easily be led to believe a 4 iron from one manufacturer is better because they hit it further when the makers are deceptive (actually lower loft). Calloway is the biggest sinner for doping the loft numbers to ridiculous proportions, seem to be power spec out of the box.

FWIW, I hit high shots and take shallow divots. I have a fitted set of Mizuno JPX919 Forged. Two days ago I tested everything Ping, Taylormade and Titleist offer at a driving range trying all types of shafts. I originally felt the blueprint would be perfect for me and was surprised what I chose.

It would be silly to choose a golf club type based on looks or how it sounds. More importantly a golf club type should be chosen based on performance and the confidence it gives the player.

Now I'm confident, for me and how I swing that if loft numbers were the same, both the i500's and JPX919's are almost exactly the same as far as distance, accuracy, club head shape and strike feel.

I finally decided to go with an i500 black dot set 3-PW with the power spec and 1/2" longer Dynamic Gold 105 S300 shafts, the additional shaft length is to bring the swing weight back to D-2 spec or even up a little after I install heavier golf pride MCC plus 4 midsize grips.

I can play almost any type of club. My ping eye 2's 1-PW and 919's 4-GW are nice hitting clubs but my hope is that the i500's cover all my needs and from how they were in quite a bit of testing I placed the order without hesitation. 

• 6 months later...