Ping I500 ferrules

mthacka

• 1 month later...

Even with the glider ferrules from golf works you still have some wiggle room with the i500s. I haven't found the right ferrule quite yet, and Ping won't give me any information on them since they make their own ferrules in house.

Do you have some calipers? It might help if you measured both the OD and ID of the hosel, plus the depth of the collar groove, and posted up the info here.

BTW, realize that you need to pound the shaft into the hosel in order to get it to seat all the way down. Some people don't realize this and subsequently they wind up short shafting Pings.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Good lord.

You’re saying Ping went and changed iron ferrules AGAIN??

So irritating. I just stopped by Golfworks and picked up more Glide ferrules at freaking $2.99 a pop for a set of stealth reshafts.

....and I sent Golfworks an email asking them to Change that stupid listing from “glider” ferrule to Glide ferrule.

It’s Hard to searth for in their hideous search engine. They have so many things that you can’t ever find because they are so poorly listed.

Good lord.

You’re saying Ping went and changed iron ferrules AGAIN??

So irritating. I just stopped by Golfworks and picked up more Glide ferrules at freaking $2.99 a pop for a set of stealth reshafts.

....and I sent Golfworks an email asking them to Change that stupid listing from “glider” ferrule to Glide ferrule.

It’s Hard to searth for in their hideous search engine. They have so many things that you can’t ever find because they are so poorly listed.

Yes, all the new Ping irons seem to be a PITA to work with. G700's are impossible to work with if you don't have a wide selection of collared ferrules to choose from. The Ping Glide ferrules don't work on the G700's (tried them) and I'm sure the i500's are the same. Not only do you need a special ferrule that isn't available, but if you use something else, you are going to have to combine it with some sort of shim as the hosels ID's are huge. And heaven help you if you accidentally destroy the 3/8" long aluminum plug in the bottom of the hosel.

Edit: contrary to what is on the Billy Bob's site, their ferrules that are supposed to work on the G770, i500 and i200's - do not. They fit but are not a good enough fit to provide a good centered shaft. They need a better one.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

A few wraps of fiberglass drywall tape and a regular ferrule can be used in lue of a collared ferrule. I've used this technique several times successfully on Glide wedges and late model Ping irons when no collared ferrules were ready at hand.

I managed to save all mine when I reshafted my i500. Collared and obviously Speacial Ed. Pretty irritating.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I managed to save all mine when I reshafted my i500. Collared and obviously Speacial Ed. Pretty irritating.

How did you find the hosel depth? Short compared to how long the hosel was? Did the i500's have a plug at the bottom of the hosel?

MCC Align Midsize

Seriously though. A company like ping can’t have the same ferrules across all models?? It’s just freaking weird in addition to a PITA.

When engineers design stuff, they don't care about those minutiae. It's just a component that is used anyway, so who cares if it is different? Other than the poor sap who has to reshaft them out in the real world.

MCC Align Midsize

My fitter said the same for my i500 six iron .. which I've tried 8 shafts in .. the depth is short and the ID is huge

Glass beads in the epoxy, brass shim

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have tried many collared ferrules with the i500 series and have yet to find the right one. The ID of the hosel at the top is considerably larger than the previous models. Not only that, on the iBlades/Glide wedges, they have sharp and clear ledge where the collar sat, the i500 do not have that. Ping should have this information and product available to the public, but I do understand why they don’t as it brings repair/reshaft items to them instead of other shops.

Same issue here, with both the i210 and the i500. I currently have a combo set with the 4i i500, and the 5-PW i210.

For the i500, I used Billy Bob's collared ferrules and they worked fine. The bigger issue with the i500 is the hosel bore is larger than normal -- I can put a parallel shaft in the i500 hosel (.370) with no issue. So I used a PXG parallel to taper adapter to insure the shaft was seated correctly and centered in the hosel.

The i210 is super frustrating. You can use the old Ping i25 ferrules, but the are the incorrect length. The only ferrule I found that works is a collared taper ferrule from Cell Parts Manufacturing. As was stated previously, the hosels on i210 taper at the bottom, and you need to "ram" the shaft to get it seated correctly.

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T200 GW - MMT105

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 52,56,60 - DGTI 115
Odyssey AI Milled 7
Titleist Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone found a ferrule that works in the I500 or G700? I bought the GolfWorks ferrules and the Outside Diameter (OD) is not large enough for the G700. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Not yet. Although I haven't looked or bought any in a while. You likely have to resort to using a shim or drywall mesh or something to fill the space. As far as the OD, you might have to wait or resort to buying an oversize ferrule and making it work as above.

MCC Align Midsize

• 2 months later...

Reviving an old thread again. Reshafting some i500s and I have the proper ferrules. They seem to seat properly and there is no wiggle when they are on the shaft. My question is around the epoxy set. In the bottom since they are so large are most of you just using a large quantity of epoxy and a ton of shafting beads. With the hosel depth being barely 1 1/8" I want to make sure these do not come apart. Don't want to use shims either and don't feel I need to with this ferrule. Thanks.

Ping has to be a pain in the butt with these odd ferrules. I just completed building a set of S55’s and it took us a while to find the perfect collared ferrules.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Reviving an old thread again. Reshafting some i500s and I have the proper ferrules. They seem to seat properly and there is no wiggle when they are on the shaft. My question is around the epoxy set. In the bottom since they are so large are most of you just using a large quantity of epoxy and a ton of shafting beads. With the hosel depth being barely 1 1/8" I want to make sure these do not come apart. Don't want to use shims either and don't feel I need to with this ferrule. Thanks.

Where did you get the ferrules?

No shafting beads. And be sure to pound the shaft into the hosel or it won't reach the bottom.

Billy Bobs has updated their ferrules. I spoke to them before ordering. They said they had many complaints on the old ferrules. They were sloppy. They have a new version that works. My only issue with it is it’s shorter than the original. I also have the Golfworks Glide ferrules. They are actually larger than the OD of the hosel and have to be turned down. IMO they fit the best at the top. I read above that someone said they do not work but they work great with my set. Maybe they updated them too. Issue here is cost. At $3 a ferrules it’s steep.

At $3 a ferrules it’s steep.

Make that criminal.

I'm awaiting delivery of some of the new billybobs ferrules and will post up how they fit on the G410's and i200.

Billy Bobs has updated their ferrules. I spoke to them before ordering. They said they had many complaints on the old ferrules. They were sloppy. They have a new version that works. My only issue with it is it’s shorter than the original. I also have the Golfworks Glide ferrules. They are actually larger than the OD of the hosel and have to be turned down. IMO they fit the best at the top. I read above that someone said they do not work but they work great with my set. Maybe they updated them too. Issue here is cost. At $3 a ferrules it’s steep.

I bought the new ones and they sucked! Did not use them.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Billy Bobs has updated their ferrules. I spoke to them before ordering. They said they had many complaints on the old ferrules. They were sloppy. They have a new version that works. My only issue with it is it's shorter than the original. I also have the Golfworks Glide ferrules. They are actually larger than the OD of the hosel and have to be turned down. IMO they fit the best at the top. I read above that someone said they do not work but they work great with my set. Maybe they updated them too. Issue here is cost. At $3 a ferrules it's steep.

I bought the new ones and they sucked! Did not use them.

Not finding this to be the case with mine but it varies. Its very interesting because I went down to the PGA SS yesterday to talk with one of their club builders I have known since around 2000. He has a set waiting to be reshafted and cannot because he is waiting on the ferrules. I took in a Billy Bobs and a Golfworks. The Golfworks is perfect on both because its oversized to the hosel OD and has to be turned. I would also say it fits a bit snugger. The Billy Bobs is perfect on my 7 iron. Wouldn't need to be turned at all and was snug. The 7 iron from his set it was off though. Just a tiny bit too small on one side but still fairly snug. I think there are manufacturing variances because when I got back and checked mine again, some of the Billy Bobs were slightly smaller on 2 of the 8 irons. Not sure if it is a Billy Bobs issue or minute variance with Ping on the hotels. I just used the Golfworks ferrules and turned them down.

One other thing that can be done as well. I have some Titileist collared ferrules. They are exactly the same height as the Pings with a very short collar. They will fit into the i500s perfectly but the collar is a touch too wide when inserting the shaft. I cut the collar off those. Then I cut the collar off the Billy Bobs and placed it on the shaft under the Titilest. That was a good solution too if you do not want to spend the $3 on the Golfworks.

And be sure to pound the shaft into the hosel or it won't reach the bottom.

Something to mention is you certainly do not need to pound these into the shafts. The i500s are basically the same design at PXGs. They have a short 1 1/8" depth and are over .370 with a flat bottom. It is very easy to clean out all the epoxy and use the Billy Bobs PXG spacer at the bottom as IBhitter mentions above but that makes it more expensive as you have to order those. The PXG ferrules fit the OD of the hosel well but the collared portion is too thick FYI. I would make sure to clean the hosel as best as you can so you get the shaft seated at maximum since its so short.

As you can see, I have tried a couple of options but I wanted this to be a perfect install. I will say this, the i500s were the best weight matched set of heads I have run across in a long time. They were a perfect 8 grams difference between heads all the way down the set. Not 1 gram off.

One last thing is I spoke to Billy Bobs about the weight port screws. I told them there would be a market for these since Ping is using them in all their heads now with the Blueprint coming, i500s, G700s and G410s. They are looking at making some from 2-8 grams. They said that 8 grams would be around the max they thought would fit in these heads due to depth. Hope to see those on the website soon.

Even with the glider ferrules from golf works you still have some wiggle room with the i500s. I haven't found the right ferrule quite yet, and Ping won't give me any information on them since they make their own ferrules in house.

Do you have some calipers? It might help if you measured both the OD and ID of the hosel, plus the depth of the collar groove, and posted up the info here.

BTW, realize that you need to pound the shaft into the hosel in order to get it to seat all the way down. Some people don't realize this and subsequently they wind up short shafting Pings.

When you say pound the shaft into the hosel, what's your method? I'm just getting set to reshaft my G25's. I know there's a slightly smaller diameter section at the bottom of the hosel - in the past I've just placed an old grip onto the shaft, then pressed the shaft firmly into the hosel and twisted until it seats itself. Not always sure its completely seated with this method.

When you say pound the shaft into the hosel, what's your method? I'm just getting set to reshaft my G25's. I know there's a slightly smaller diameter section at the bottom of the hosel - in the past I've just placed an old grip onto the shaft, then pressed the shaft firmly into the hosel and twisted until it seats itself. Not always sure its completely seated with this method.

No grip is best. Insert shaft and twist to get shaft engaged with the necked down area at bottom of hosel. Then grab the head with one hand and the shaft with the other and bang the butt end of the shaft down onto a concrete floor. I do it twice. That should do it.

Just took delivery of some of the Billy Bob ferrules claimed to fit the following...

Ping New "2018, 2019" G and i Series Iron and Hybrid Ferrules i500, i210, New G410, G400, G700, G Irons, GMax Irons, i200, iBlade Irons, GLE Irons, Glide Wedges

OD is .524" which means they won't fit Glide which is .555", and presumably the 410 either based on information people are posting here stating they are .550".

Piss poor performance by Billy Bob's I'd say, if not outright lying.

It does irritate me that ping makest his so difficult. Why is the question ?

When I reshafted my i500 set 4 or so months ago I saved the original ferrules carefully and reused them. Had no clue they were hard to get. I just didn’t want to wait on ordering them.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Update: I've received the ferrules and my ebay 410 irons...

The Billy Bob's ferrules OD is .524. They claim they fit the G410 irons but those have a hosel OD of .535 (measured by me). I'm sure a lot of people won't care if the ferrules are undersize, but I'm not thrilled.

Grail Golf on ebay has some collared ferrules that are .560 so they can be trimmed down for a nice fit. The collar is a little short but that shouldn't matter. The photo suggests the collar may be a little fat but that's easily trimmed to fit. I'm going to pick up some for $hits and giggles. No way I'm paying $3 each for Golfworks "glider" ferrules.

Update: I've received the ferrules and my ebay 410 irons...

The Billy Bob's ferrules OD is .524. They claim they fit the G410 irons but those have a hosel OD of .535 (measured by me). I'm sure a lot of people won't care if the ferrules are undersize, but I'm not thrilled.

Grail Golf on ebay has some collared ferrules that are .560 so they can be trimmed down for a nice fit. The collar is a little short but that shouldn't matter. The photo suggests the collar may be a little fat but that's easily trimmed to fit. I'm going to pick up some for $hits and giggles. No way I'm paying $3 each for Golfworks "glider" ferrules.

Ness, how do the 410's compare to the G? I was comparing them side by side last not at a local shop and the actual head size, sole and top line were very similar. The finish is obviously different and I'm not sure on the offset but the overall size and shape is very similar.

I realize the 410's have the toe screw so any ides of they are more forgiving on a toe miss as that's my normal miss with my over the top swing.