Interesting Tournament GIfts

Have you seen these hickory alignment sticks? These are admittedly over priced, but if you customized them with club colors, or local school colors, it would be a nice gift that most people wouldn't splurge on for themselves...

Bubba whips: https://www.bubbawhips.com/shop

I've thought about making these as a hobby to give to friends. Cool ides.

Budget is a big driver here, as well as how hung up your membership is on the status associated with brand names....some good ideas already in this thread, but as you've noted what takes gifts from good to great is some sort of customization/personalization for the individual. A few ideas:

• Recently laser engraving has gotten so good you can go so far as having someone's actual signature or even a selfie put onto an item in a matter of seconds. I have a business cary holder with my signature on it that is a great conversation starter.
  • I've seen leather embossers who will come on-site to add initials to items for not too much money
  • Nike and I think FootJoy have "design-a-shoe" programs where colors and even materials can be selected and then the shoes are sent after the event
  • If doing clothing, you can have an embroiderer come on-site to add initials

In terms of the actual items - since golfers are obviously so picky with their gear and accessories, I find more lifestyle items to be popular. Stuff like a nice wallet, desk valet, even scorecard holder if your membership is into that. Also, depending on your membership, travel items can be cool - bag tag/passport case combos with club logo and initials, etc.

That's the way I'm leaning. Thanks again. I've used most of these companies but if I decide to just do something custom stamped, I can handle that by myself. Much appreciated.

Have you seen these hickory alignment sticks? These are admittedly over priced, but if you customized them with club colors, or local school colors, it would be a nice gift that most people wouldn't splurge on for themselves...

Bubba whips: https://www.bubbawhips.com/shop

I've thought about making these as a hobby to give to friends. Cool ides.

Budget is a big driver here, as well as how hung up your membership is on the status associated with brand names....some good ideas already in this thread, but as you've noted what takes gifts from good to great is some sort of customization/personalization for the individual. A few ideas:

• Recently laser engraving has gotten so good you can go so far as having someone's actual signature or even a selfie put onto an item in a matter of seconds. I have a business cary holder with my signature on it that is a great conversation starter.
  • I've seen leather embossers who will come on-site to add initials to items for not too much money
  • Nike and I think FootJoy have "design-a-shoe" programs where colors and even materials can be selected and then the shoes are sent after the event
  • If doing clothing, you can have an embroiderer come on-site to add initials

In terms of the actual items - since golfers are obviously so picky with their gear and accessories, I find more lifestyle items to be popular. Stuff like a nice wallet, desk valet, even scorecard holder if your membership is into that. Also, depending on your membership, travel items can be cool - bag tag/passport case combos with club logo and initials, etc.

That's the way I'm leaning. Thanks again. I've used most of these companies but if I decide to just do something custom stamped, I can handle that by myself. Much appreciated.

Those are pretty cool. I haven't seen those. This may be an option. I believe I'm going to do a few smaller things that are very custom and then include some standard things like a putter cover and their choice of golf ball. These will probably be included now. Thanks.

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

Things that I have liked:

1) Maui Jim rep letting us pick any pair, cases with course logo

2) Footjoy rep there letting us pick a pair of the loafers

3) Last year received custom leather driver headcover with course logo and each individual's name on their cover. Really liked that one.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I have received framed photo of one of the signature holes of the club which I have in my office. A "tool box", wooden holds a six pack with an old fashioned bottle opener on the side, has the club logo on it. They were creative items I have received.

We did the Maui Jim thing about 6 years ago for a partner event and all of the players still wear their glasses when we have our partner conferences. Seems to be an easy win

This is a cool topic and guys have shared some really cool ideas. I used to work at a club where we had the same problem.

While not a gift...we tried making the tournament more of an experience as a whole by mimicking some of the stuff you see on tour. A few examples...on the range, we created little stands and would put player's names on them when they came up to the range to warm up. We also did an announcement with their name and where they were from on the first tee, especially if it was a member guest, but for members we often used their hometown. For past champions, we would share the years they'd won.

I recognize that these aren't necessarily novel ideas...it sounds like you guys have it together, so you probably already do stuff like this. Just thought I'd share...

This is a cool topic and guys have shared some really cool ideas. I used to work at a club where we had the same problem.

While not a gift...we tried making the tournament more of an experience as a whole by mimicking some of the stuff you see on tour. A few examples...on the range, we created little stands and would put player's names on them when they came up to the range to warm up. We also did an announcement with their name and where they were from on the first tee, especially if it was a member guest, but for members we often used their hometown. For past champions, we would share the years they'd won.

I recognize that these aren't necessarily novel ideas...it sounds like you guys have it together, so you probably already do stuff like this. Just thought I'd share...

That’s cool with the names on the range.

That’s cool with the names on the range.

Yeah everyone seemed to like it. it wasn't all that difficult either.

For anyone interested, we painted a few boards and put a couple of hinges on the inside so they would stand up on their own and put a hook on the front to hold the name. For the name plates, we bought some plastic sleeves, printed the names on card stock and hole punched them to hang on the hook. Then to dress them up we put molding around the edges and also used molding to frame where the names went.

A lot of pop for a not a lot of effort.

I have not participated in an event that has the type of items mentioned in this thread as a gift.  From the outside looking in, I would say that the Footjoy experience would trump most others.  Being able to get a nice new pair of shoes is pretty cool.  However, the Travis Matthew one sounds pretty sweet too.  I am a sucker for nice headcovers though.  So, something high quality with the tournament logo would be pretty nice too.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Played in a one day event a couple of years ago where the tee gift was a Mizzen and Main shirt.  We got to pick from 3 different options that they had on display, and then they drop-shipped the shirt to our homes.  It was a little different at the time, but now since they've signed Phil as an endorser I bet it would go over well as something that wouldn't be golf-specific.

• 1 month later...

At a private club member-member I went to last year, they had both FJ and Titleist reps there with tons of stuff. Everybody had $150 credit and you had time with the reps to choose whatever you wanted from FJ or Titleist. The prices were all reduced from standard everyday pricing. What they didn’t have on hand, was shipped directly to your home. As this process took a while, the bar was very busy and had a bang up night in tips. All participants loved it and was received so well, they’re doing it again this year. Seems like this would lessen the burden on your staff for thinking of the next great idea and putting the reps to work and moving some product to their benefit.

I play in a number of charity events in Los Angeles during the year...I get a ton of garbage that gets given away or is gathering dust in the garage.

Best gift is a gift card to Roger Dunn...it always gets used, and always makes me happy.

Recently, a tournament had a big display by Olukai (flip flops/casual shoes from Hawaii...sort of)...was able to pick out something nice for my daughter which was nice.

Bear in mind that I'm a minimalist...only have one pair of golf shoes, a few shirts and tops. One set of clubs.

I often get more pleasure out of getting rid of stuff than accumulating it!

Probably one of the best tournament tee gifts I've received (and most useful) was a Hydro Flask water bottle with the logo of the WA State Golf Association. They are great water bottles and I carry it with me all the time.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

All the typical tee gifts mentioned above already - love the Maui Jim idea.. will pass that along to our team.

Our member-member included a bag towel with our names embroidered on it sitting on the seat of the cart on the last day.. Worth a mention as it was a nice surprise to walk away with (even though my gf has it on her bag.. haha)

Contestant badge/ money clip was a cool tee gift, made me feel like a pro.

Event logo shoe bag - can never have enough of those.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

I’ve played in the same MG for about 7 years now. The swag has ranged from not good to good/interesting. This year, they gave us 12 points to shop with and items included FJ shoes, coolers, speakers, insulated cups, balls, etc. seems folks were most excited about this setup over previous years. Something inexpensive I would appreciate is a yearly poker chip or ball marker, something consistent that you can collect over the years that you participate in the event.

Going on planning my 6th and 7th fundraising tourneys this summer. Things that have gone over well:

1. Shag bag coolers from Jones Golf. They offer very competitive tourney pricing on a bunch of items. We've been using them for at least 3 years now.

2. JBL clip speakers. Attach right to the bag.

3. Western birch tees- just a nice cheap giveaway to stock carts with.

4. Yeti-esk cups/koozies

We also do a last place gag gift award..."The crying towel", floral bucket hats, terribly colored visors. Shockingly these things are a hot commodity for the teams just out to have a good time.

Good luck!

Unique or fresh doesn't mean anything to me. I'm into something useful. A quality ball marker or divot tool means way more to me than something cute that'll find it's way to the bottom of my bag.

Edit to add that it looks as if you've done some really cool stuff in the past. Keep it up, but be as inclusive and you can. The flask sounded nice, but lot of people like myself don't drink.

> @"NC IA Hacker" said:

> Going on planning my 6th and 7th fundraising tourneys this summer. Things that have gone over well:

> 1. Shag bag coolers from Jones Golf. They offer very competitive tourney pricing on a bunch of items. We've been using them for at least 3 years now.

> 2. JBL clip speakers. Attach right to the bag.

> 3. Western birch tees- just a nice cheap giveaway to stock carts with.

> 4. Yeti-esk cups/koozies

>

> We also do a last place gag gift award..."The crying towel", floral bucket hats, terribly colored visors. Shockingly these things are a hot commodity for the teams just out to have a good time.

>

> Good luck!

I like the Gag gift IMO Depending on the mood of the event if that makes sense. if its with people who can have a laugh and make fun of themselves its great. Also a fan of the Yeti mugs very useful for everyday coffee and what ever.

IMO:

Go with something practical that people will USE.

Leather driver/3w/h headboard with special logo

Putter cover withe logo

Flasks

Cooler with logo - jones sports co makes some cool ones that say “member-guest legend” & “send it”.

Sunglasses

Aussie sun hats from imperial

Towels

Custom ball markers with course holes/hcp/yardages.

Choice of a wedge with engraving

Leather briefcase/mailbag with course logo

Gifts that aren’t practical kinda drive me crazy. I’d rather get something I would use.

One thing that I got as a freebie at a tournament that I love and use all the time is a shoe bag...might have never bought one on my own but now my shoes are always in the bag. If they're in the trunk and grass or dirt is kept in the bag and if I need to grab my equipment it's golf bag and shoe bag and I'm gone.

Mine is a little cheap one with a business logo on it, but of course you can choose a different level of quality and logo/personalization.