Project (a) vs. Q Star Tour

Shadrach

The major manufacturers have made it easy for me, as these two balls are the only mantled urethane covered ball choices on the market for us geezers with driver ss barely above 80. I hope one of them is the clear winner of the playoff, but their specs seem pretty much the same from the materials I've seen.

I have a dozen of the latest version of each. I am going to try "testing" differently this year. I have 4 of each in my bag, and I'm going to play QST on odd days and Pa on even days. It won't matter whether I'm playing 9, or 18, or just chipping, or what have you. So I will not be comparing them "head to head." It occurs to me — after all these years — that I ought to select as the winner the ball that performs best off all 14 clubs, where "best" means "consistently puts me in position to score better." Whacking two or more balls with my driver as a test usually results in balls all over the place because of "swinging for the fences" and not actually playing golf, with a sore back tossed in for bad measure.

When I've got 4 balls left, hopefully I'll have identified my next dozen.

I’d toss in the Duo Professional too. Very similar specs as the other two b

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

The major manufacturers have made it easy for me, as these two balls are the only mantled urethane covered ball choices on the market for us geezers with driver ss barely above 80. I hope one of them is the clear winner of the playoff, but their specs seem pretty much the same from the materials I've seen.

I have a dozen of the latest version of each. I am going to try "testing" differently this year. I have 4 of each in my bag, and I'm going to play QST on odd days and Pa on even days. It won't matter whether I'm playing 9, or 18, or just chipping, or what have you. So I will not be comparing them "head to head." It occurs to me — after all these years — that I ought to select as the winner the ball that performs best off all 14 clubs, where "best" means "consistently puts me in position to score better." Whacking two or more balls with my driver as a test usually results in balls all over the place because of "swinging for the fences" and not actually playing golf, with a sore back tossed in for bad measure.

I like both balls too. But, prefer the QST as it has a better yellow color and it is cheaper and Srixon has promotional deals. .

I like both balls too. But, prefer the QST as it has a better yellow color and it is cheaper and Srixon has promotional deals. .

Have you compared gen 1 QST to gen 2? I'm still using gen 1 with about 3dz left....it really is a wonderful ball for slower speeds

Have you compared gen 1 QST to gen 2? I'm still using gen 1 with about 3dz left....it really is a wonderful ball for slower speeds

I haven't. Just started with the second gen. Agreed, it seems to match nicely with my slower swing speed.

Both the Q Star Tour and the Project A are great. For some reason I get along better with the QST. I can’t explain it. The Project A spins more around the green. I agree to try the Wilson Duo Professional. I once tested all three around the green and they all worked almost identical.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

The ‘18 Project (a) is a great ball. My driver SS is 105+ and I switched over due to the fantastic feel, extra spin, and additional club length I get out of them. Not just for slow swing players either. I’d take them over the TP5 especially since they can be acquired for a lot less and TM sends you a free dozen for every four dozen you buy. Great deals on eBay as well. The ‘14 version wasn’t bad, they got better in ‘16, and ‘18 is even more of a step up.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Given years of past experience, I am not expecting either of these two very very similar golf balls to blow the other out of the water with either driver length or sufficient greenside spin. So for me the tie breaker will be endurance.

I don't hit the ball very far, but I hit it straight and play like I understand that. So I don't lose a lot of golf balls. Therefore a ball that stays white, round, and un-fuzzy over 18 or 36 holes has an advantage over one that doesn't. I am not suggesting that either of these does or doesn't do that. That's what I'll be testing for over several weeks.

Throw B-stone RX/RSX into the mix.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Given years of past experience, I am not expecting either of these two very very similar golf balls to blow the other out of the water with either driver length or sufficient greenside spin. So for me the tie breaker will be endurance.

I don't hit the ball very far, but I hit it straight and play like I understand that. So I don't lose a lot of golf balls. Therefore a ball that stays white, round, and un-fuzzy over 18 or 36 holes has an advantage over one that doesn't. I am not suggesting that either of these does or doesn't do that. That's what I'll be testing for over several weeks.

Please do report back. I’m very interested and I’m partially testing QST now too. I played it a few holes today along with Bridgestone B XS, Srixon Z Star XV, and Chrome Soft. Of these four, BXS and XV seemed to perform best for me. Somewhat straight off the driver, and the feel off the putter suited what I like. Felt a little “heavier” which I like.

As noodle states above, RX and RXS could be good. I intend to test them too. They’re supposed to be straighter off the driver, according to the marketing and Brisgestones ball fitter tool online.

EDIT: FYI, I swing about 96-100 on driver.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

I've played both. Clearly the QST has a nicer color yellow than the A...a deciding factor for me.

I hated Gen 1 due to excessive side spin but Gen 2 flies way straighter. Still too much greenside spin for my taste. Otherwise, QST G2 is fine ball.

I would suggest going by your overall score to evaluate which ball works best for you. I'm assuming you're not a professional and don't hit the ball perfectly every time. So that means you'll just be subject to random information. But if you play a ball for an entire round - for several rounds - and the score with one brand is better, go with that ball. I recently switched to the 2018 Project <A>. It gives me great distance and iron spin, perhaps a bit much on short chips. The only downside is yes the yellow is ugly.

I am shocked how much I like the Q-star tour. I have been a Z-Star guy, but not sure anymore. It does everything really well for me, can't believe it's a $30/dz ball.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I have a dozen of the latest version of each. I am going to try "testing" differently this year. I have 4 of each in my bag, and I'm going to play QST on odd days and Pa on even days. It won't matter whether I'm playing 9, or 18, or just chipping, or what have you. So I will not be comparing them "head to head." It occurs to me — after all these years — that I ought to select as the winner the ball that performs best off all 14 clubs, where "best" means "consistently puts me in position to score better."

As had been forecast, the temperature here yesterday reached 62°F. The ground is still frozen, and there were a few bedsheet-sized patches of snow remaining on my course. The course remains officially closed.

But I was jones-ing to just hit a few on real grass. Who knows when we'll have "golf weather" again here locally? ("here" is near Buffalo, NY. You may have seen us starring on The Weather Channel.) So, contrary to the stated "testing" plan in my OP, I put the 5W and 8I in my Sunday bag and my mudders on my feet and headed to the course. I got to hit just 8 shots before it started to drizzle. I started with the 5W and burned worms right out of the box with both QST and P(a). Then I hit two 8Is and pured them both. Now I was far enough away to hit two 5Ws, and then two 8Is, back to my starting point. And here's The Take-Away: as has happened to me a million times before, each ball off each club landed just about on top of the other one. This remains amazing to me.

So, first of all, thanks to darsony who wrote I would suggest going by your overall score to evaluate which ball works best for you….But if you play a ball for an entire round - for several rounds - and the score with one brand is better, go with that ball. Wish I'd said that :taunt:

And then, as sui generis wrote, I play them both and cannot tell the difference.So far, me neither.

So, until I can play actual golf — you know, hitting lofted irons into mown greens and being able to use a putter — I am going simply to whack QST v. P(a) with a 6I, say, over and over and over. I strongly believe the winner will ultimately be the whitest non-scruffy survivor of this ordeal.

• 4 weeks later...

> @lefty1978 said:

> I am shocked how much I like the Q-star tour. I have been a Z-Star guy, but not sure anymore. It does everything really well for me, can't believe it's a $30/dz ball.

They run specials all the time, like the buy 3 doz, get 1 free. Rodger Dunn has the QST for 2 dozen for $40. These balls are an awesome value for $20 a dozen with a urethane cover. I use the QST because my SS is about 90-95 and the yellow is a nice sparkly yellow....haha.... I can't find the Project A for cheaper or I would use it too.

• Like 1

I have played the Q Star Tour for a while. Just recently gamed the new Project a. The Project a seems longer for me. Both are excellent balls, though.

I don't really know what to think about balls marketed for slower swing speeds. I think it's just marketing malarkey. My swing speed isn't down in the regions referenced in the marketing. Yet, I enjoy playing these balls very much. The firmer balls (yes to the XV) perform great too, but seem to go more wild off the driver if the swing's a little off. This past couple weeks I've been plucking Z Stars and Project a balls from my ball pouch when playing on the course. Life is rough...

Project A is my go to. Although I am on a college budget and buy recycled, but that's besides the point. At my budget and handicap, it is hard to beat for $6.54/doz for a 3 piece urethane like this. The QST is great as well, but the Project A feels softer IMO which I enjoy better.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I play Project a and Chrome Soft and like both balls. The project a spins more, probably somewhere between Chrome Soft and proV1. Chrome Soft seems to offer the perfect amount of spin for me but like I said the Project a is a fine ball too. I recently bought a dozen duo professional and while it’s a fine ball too I didn’t learn my lesson from previous matte balls that they pick up dirt and mud way more than regular finish balls.

• Like 1

> @BeerPerHole said:

> I have played the Q Star Tour for a while. Just recently gamed the new Project a. The Project a seems longer for me. Both are excellent balls, though.

> I don't really know what to think about balls marketed for slower swing speeds. I think it's just marketing malarkey. My swing speed isn't down in the regions referenced in the marketing. Yet, I enjoy playing these balls very much. The firmer balls (yes to the XV) perform great too, but seem to go more wild off the driver if the swing's a little off. This past couple weeks I've been plucking Z Stars and Project a balls from my ball pouch when playing on the course. Life is rough...

It's not total malarkey. If you are below a certain swing speed you can't fully compress certain balls and above a certain swing speed you will start to over compress certain balls. However, we're only talking a handful of yards and a few hundred RPM's at each extreme. If you are between 90MPH and 110MPH with the driver you probably won't see much difference.

All things being similar though, a firmer ball will spin more, so it will travel a shorter distance. So if you need distance (and slower swing speed players probably do), then the softer ball will help.

Studies also show that most people prefer a ball that feels softer. And at normal swing speeds these kinds of balls are going to feel softer for most people.

So it's not all marketing, but moving from something like a Srixon XV to a Wilson Duo Pro (about the two extremes of hard vs soft) is unlikely to have that big of an effect on your scores.

I can notice a difference when I play a ball meant for slower swingers. I'm in the 90-95mph range with a driver. I definitely hit the QST or Project A further than a Chrome Soft or Pro V1. I only learned about the QST and Project A because I found some in the bushes at the course i was playing. I was a chrome soft and Pro V1 guy for the past few years. I tried the QST that I found and noticed that I was going a bit further. I use a range finder before each iron shot and noticed I was a bit longer on everything. Went back and forth between the QST and Chrome Soft and it's definitely longer for me. Green side spin seems the same between the 2. The Pro V1 is the only ball I can make check on a dime or even spin back a bit. I can never do it on the QST or Chrome Soft.

> @BiggErn said:

> I play Project a and Chrome Soft and like both balls. The project a spins more, probably somewhere between Chrome Soft and proV1. Chrome Soft seems to offer the perfect amount of spin for me but like I said the Project a is a fine ball too. I recently bought a dozen duo professional and while it’s a fine ball too I didn’t learn my lesson from previous matte balls that they pick up dirt and mud way more than regular finish balls.

Agreed matte balls are a waste. Not sure why it's been so popular. They pick up dirt and don't have the same feel as a shiny ball. QST in yellow checks off all of the boxes.

> @BiggErn said:

> I play Project a and Chrome Soft and like both balls. The project a spins more, probably somewhere between Chrome Soft and proV1. Chrome Soft seems to offer the perfect amount of spin for me but like I said the Project a is a fine ball too. I recently bought a dozen duo professional and while it’s a fine ball too I didn’t learn my lesson from previous matte balls that they pick up dirt and mud way more than regular finish balls.

The Wilson Duo Professional in white is not a matte finish. I do not know why they did not offer the colors in a polished finish like the white version. Matte balls pick up WAY too much dirt on my local courses.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2