Solo to Southern Pines March 2-5

DrOldSchool

It's been 7-8 years since I've been there so I'm sure a lot has changed. There's a bunch of great info in threads on here about the Pinehurst area already, so I won't ask about food and entertainment.

But I am traveling solo, and wanted to see if anyone wanted to tag in and join in that's in the area, since I'll likely be paired up one way or another. Weather permitting I could add afternoon rounds Sunday and Monday.

Date Tee Time Golf Course

Saturday, 3/2/19 11:00 a.m. Lonnie Poole NC State Golf Club

Sunday, 3/3/19 9:42 a.m. Legacy

Monday, 3/4/19 9:30 a.m. Tobacco Road

Tuesday, 3/5/19 9:05 a.m. Mid Pines

Haven't been able to play in 2 months so my game may be ugly. But I'm a fast player, just going down to relax.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the opportunity to play a few rounds with Doc the past two years and he's a great guy. Pretty quiet on the course, doesn't get too wound up and loves to play. Wish I had time to go myself. Enjoy yourself, Doc.

Do you have a music play list setup for the trip?

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Legacy is a interesting Jack Nicklaus Jr. (Yes JR, not senior) design. Greens are usually in good shape and conditioning is usually pretty nice (at least in the past, i haven't played it in 3-4 years) its a cheaper option to add onto a trip. Holes 16 & 18 are a little quirky though. 16 is a 490 yd par 5 that plays more like 430 (hit driver wedge into it) while 18 is a 460 yd Par 4 that plays closer to 490-500 yards and has a crazy 2nd shot into the green and not a lot of room to miss while hitting into it

Was a solid trip - great to be back in the area, as I had last visited Pinehurst and Raleigh in 2012. When I was a Ph.D. student at NC State the Centennial campus had like 4 buildings on it, and the course was just being discussed. I managed to get lost when I left the course and wanted to drive around campus - that's how much had changed. Was happy to hit a few local favorites too, like Clyde Coopers and Biscuitville.

I enjoyed the Lonnie Poole course. Very much a Palmer course with sand everywhere. I liked the greens - definitely helps to know where to catch the slopes correctly when hitting approaches into them, and I was lucky enough to get paired up with a member who showed me the way a bit. Highlight shot of the trip was holing out from the bunker on 16.... for par. Grass was still dormant as Lancer suggested, but the greens were in good shape and were lightning quick. I enjoyed it a lot.

Legacy was a resort course to me. Wasn't in bad shape but wasn't in great shape either. Greens were a little inconsistent and bumpy but not terrible. I was sent out as a single behind a large group and in front of another one. So it was a 4:40 round playing 1 ball by myself with a group up my backside the whole time that wasn't very thrilled about it. The course itself is pretty vanilla - wide fairways and not too much sand or water. Spray and you're in the woods. There were a few blind shots that could've used a bell or something to signify it was clear. I'd play it again, but I'd try somewhere else down there I haven't played first.

What can I say about Tobacco Road that hasn't already been said? I personally enjoy the tricked up, goofy, unique nature of it. It was soaked and like a sponge from the rain overnight. So it played very long. Again I was sent out between groups as a single, and with it too being path only this round was close to 5 hours solo. I was hurting after this round, as the course and slow play got the better of me and I was really tight by the last few holes. But, I can't wait to go back and play it again.

Mid-Pines is so far at the other end of the spectrum design wise from Tobacco Road, yet is just as fun a visually beautiful. Very old school Ross course, and I loved the natural look of the rough with sand and natural grass and pine needles everywhere. Got hot on the back 9 and made my only birdie in 4 rounds on 15, and shot 79. I was the first one on the course at 8:30 on the cold morning so I got around quick. I would love to play this again.

Part of me wants to make this a yearly trip, since I have to handle some family business back east during my spring break. Have to see if wife and baby allow that next year.

I'll add pics as soon as I upload them somewhere.

DrOldSchool, lol, I got mine in '91 and took family on golf outing to Pinehurst area ~2012 (played SouthPines, MidSouth?, and Tobacco Road) and tour of Raleigh-UNC-Duke (played Duke course). The Triangle was so dang congested (traffic), but I enjoyed seeing the places I lived when I was there and old haunts. We had the same feeling for Tobacco Road... tricked up, a bit goofy..... but everyone said "let's do it again!!", lol. I'll have to check out this Lonnie Poole course (NC State's course?... they opened it a month after our vacation aback then). Another notable was bringing my son into Duke's Cameron 'Indoor' Stadium (why is it called 'indoor'?...don't know anyone's basketball stadium that is outdoors?)….and my son amazed that his high school basketball gym was bigger than Duke's, lol.

Was a solid trip - great to be back in the area, as I had last visited Pinehurst and Raleigh in 2012. When I was a Ph.D. student at NC State the Centennial campus had like 4 buildings on it, and the course was just being discussed. I managed to get lost when I left the course and wanted to drive around campus - that's how much had changed. Was happy to hit a few local favorites too, like Clyde Coopers and Biscuitville.

I enjoyed the Lonnie Poole course. Very much a Palmer course with sand everywhere. I liked the greens - definitely helps to know where to catch the slopes correctly when hitting approaches into them, and I was lucky enough to get paired up with a member who showed me the way a bit. Highlight shot of the trip was holing out from the bunker on 16.... for par. Grass was still dormant as Lancer suggested, but the greens were in good shape and were lightning quick. I enjoyed it a lot.

Legacy was a resort course to me. Wasn't in bad shape but wasn't in great shape either. Greens were a little inconsistent and bumpy but not terrible. I was sent out as a single behind a large group and in front of another one. So it was a 4:40 round playing 1 ball by myself with a group up my backside the whole time that wasn't very thrilled about it. The course itself is pretty vanilla - wide fairways and not too much sand or water. Spray and you're in the woods. There were a few blind shots that could've used a bell or something to signify it was clear. I'd play it again, but I'd try somewhere else down there I haven't played first.

What can I say about Tobacco Road that hasn't already been said? I personally enjoy the tricked up, goofy, unique nature of it. It was soaked and like a sponge from the rain overnight. So it played very long. Again I was sent out between groups as a single, and with it too being path only this round was close to 5 hours solo. I was hurting after this round, as the course and slow play got the better of me and I was really tight by the last few holes. But, I can't wait to go back and play it again.

Mid-Pines is so far at the other end of the spectrum design wise from Tobacco Road, yet is just as fun a visually beautiful. Very old school Ross course, and I loved the natural look of the rough with sand and natural grass and pine needles everywhere. Got hot on the back 9 and made my only birdie in 4 rounds on 15, and shot 79. I was the first one on the course at 8:30 on the cold morning so I got around quick. I would love to play this again.

Part of me wants to make this a yearly trip, since I have to handle some family business back east during my spring break. Have to see if wife and baby allow that next year.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Tobacco Road... architect was Mike Strantz (spelling?). He passed away of throat cancer(?) around 2005. I started looking at what other courses he had done....there was another one about 45 min north of Pinehurst I believe... Tot Hill Farm, almost went to play that after Tobacco Road but read it was pretty hard (didn't want to subject wife to that on our vacation; I don't mind being humbled). I noticed that he had done the re-vamp of the Monteray Bay Peninsula C.C. that is one of the courses in the Pebble Beach ProAm tournament rotation, so he can't be that shabby.

https://www.golfcour...ke-strantz/434/

GHIN Index 12.9

Tot Hill is worth a stop - played it 4-5 times. It's not as tricked up as Tobacco Road, but still has a lot of the same hallmarks of large ski slope greens, mounds, bunkers, etc. I would argue it's easier than Tobacco, but not by much. Stranz's course in Myrtle Beach are great too - True Blue and Caledonia - they're not really anything like Tobacco or Tot Hill.

Mid-Pines is designed the way a golf course is supposed to be designed. It's not break your back hard, yet if you play poorly it will bite you. It's all right in front of you and it doesn't try to trick you. #2 is a much tougher track but Donald Ross somewhere stated that Mid Pines was his best track. The ownership is getting the course back to the way it was intended to play. Following #2's lead and trying to restore the course to original conditions, the ownership made a wise choice. And best of all, you can walk it with a push cart.

I know when my son, wife, and myself played Tobacco Road our first impression of first few holes was 'what kind of crazy tricked up golf course is this?" and then by mid round it kind of grows on you and by the time you finish, your thoughts are more like "that was fun, can't wait to play it again".

Most slope I've ever seen in a green. Tilt-A-Whirl come s to mind.

GHIN Index 12.9

Mid-Pines is designed the way a golf course is supposed to be designed. It's not break your back hard, yet if you play poorly it will bite you. It's all right in front of you and it doesn't try to trick you. #2 is a much tougher track but Donald Ross somewhere stated that Mid Pines was his best track. The ownership is getting the course back to the way it was intended to play. Following #2's lead and trying to restore the course to original conditions, the ownership made a wise choice. And best of all, you can walk it with a push cart.

One of my favorite things about one of my favorite courses. They keep a bunch of 3-wheel trolleys for those who like to walk,and the course is set up so its never a long walk from a green to the next tee. I haven't played many other resort-type courses in the US where you can walk without taking a caddie.

Great pictures. Legacy is a nice looking track; will have to get on their next time I'm down.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

At Tobacco Road, a few are essentially two different greens, connected by steep slopes. The one hole that doesn't photograph really well is #9. The uphill second shot is one of the toughest approach shots on the course.

Having not been to the Pinehurst area, I really appreciate all the photos.

And now I know there’s no way I’m traveling halfway across the country to play TR when there are so many other superior choices.

I think Mike Strantz did only 7 or maybe 8 courses, I've played 6 of them. I'm not saying that they're the best, but they're some of the most imaginative I've ever played. Don't come to the Pinehurst are specifically to play TR, but if you're around for more than 3 days, I highly recommend playing it.

At Tobacco Road, a few are essentially two different greens, connected by steep slopes. The one hole that doesn't photograph really well is #9. The uphill second shot is one of the toughest approach shots on the course.

Especially from the left side of the fairway, where I was. I blocked out my attempt to hit a swooping hook around the trees that guard that side of the fairway, which left me in the sand by the cart path on the right. I was maybe 20-25 yards from the cup and couldn't see the flag as the lip of the trap was well above my head.

And now I know there’s no way I’m traveling halfway across the country to play TR when there are so many other superior choices.

It's a course I think everyone has to play once due to it's uniqueness. You might hate it, it might grow on you as bulls said above, or you might love it. Either way you'll be hard pressed to find much like it. Even Tot Hill Farm, the other Mike Stranz course in the area, is tricked up like it, but not to that level.

I endorse this post. There are enough superior courses in the area that you don't have to mess with TR. #2, Mid Pines, #4, #8, Pine Needles and then call it a golf vacation.

Are there people that come to Pinehurst specifically to play TR? I suppose there could be, maybe Strantz fans, but it doesn't seem to me like much of a draw on its own.

I concur with Davep043's take, if you're in the area it's definitely worth a play. Some love it, some hate it. It's on my list of courses I will definitely play in the area. It's crazy but if you ignore the mind games it's a very scoreable course with lots of risk/reward opportunities. My favorite courses are the classic Ross layouts, but TR is fun.

I didn't care for Tot Hill Farm.

I agree with the other comments that you wouldn't plan a vacation to Southern Pines solely to play Tobacco Road. In my opinion if you travel to the area you should definitely take a morning / afternoon to play it. There are very few courses like it and, to the point earlier, if you can ignore the eye candy it's not a difficult course. The key is positioning yourself off the tee to have the best line into the green.

I putted terribly when I played there but truly enjoyed the mind games of working the ball to the flag off of slopes, especially when chipping / bunker shots around the green.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Of course, I wouldn't come to Pinehurst specifically to play Tobacco Road, but in the same breath, I wouldn't go to Pinehurst to play only 1 time, 1 course either..... I would play at least 3-4 courses.....one of which I would include would be Tobacco Road :taunt: . Although I played Mid South and SouthPines when I was there back around 2010-2012?, wife/son/myself also played Tobacco Road, then Woodlake (Arnold Palmer course) in Vass, NC, then up to RTP and played Duke's course (wanted to play NC State's new course but it wasn't open till 1 month later). I reminisced with Duke's course....as a grad student at NC State, me and several other golfing grad students would 'take an afternoon' off every now and then to play golf (lord knows we put the time in to deserve it)….and Duke was one of our destinations that we played about half dozen times (they offered student rates, even when we were NC state students, lol). At the time, they didn't have 'named courses' in Raleigh except the country clubs....so we played Lochmere GC (one of better ones), Eagle Ridge?, Wil-Mar, Cheviot Hills, Raleigh Municipal course, RGA (oh, what a goat track, but cheap), and another favorite I loved because of the Azaleas that reminded me of the Masters, was the Campbell University, Keith Hills course in Buies Creek NC (about 45 min south of Raleigh).

One funny story on 'the lab guys' road trip to Duke course...on the 30-40 min drive back one time, my friend Wes sitting in the passenger seat while I drove, took his shoes/socks off and put feet up on top of the dashboard....to which I said, Wes, get those stinky feet off of there....and by the way, don't you trim those nails of yours, look at them, they're so long...how long since you last cut them? Then with 4 budding scientists in the midst of PhD research, we got into a 'scientific discussion about toe nails'.....Wes claimed he just cut them 'last week' and I said no way they grew back that fast. Then someone asked, how would you measure toe nail growth rate?.... collect toe nails!! But then we came up with, but do they grow same rate over winter as over the summer months?....you'd have to collect and measure seasonally, and then can't change your diet, etc. This went on for half an hour and I tell you, it was serious discussion about potential scientific parameters (much like our advisor's grad student meeting where everyone was there to challenge each others choices in research experiments). Fast forward about 2 months.....our laboratory was sizeable about 2 female technicians, 2 post-docs and about 6 graduate students and we socialized together.....so technician RoseMary is talking to Wes at his lab desk (new OSHA rules, can't have office desks in the labs anymore)….and she notices some vials on his desk shelf and picks one up and opens it and pours the contents out into her palm and says "what's this stuff?" and Wes says, oh, those are my toe nails.....and she shrieks and throws them all over the floor and Wes screems….NOoooooo, they're part of an ongoing experiment. We had the biggest laugh because we didn't know he was going on with it, and collecting his toe nail clippings quietly as we outlined in our golf outing 2 months earlier.....I guess you just had to be there.

I agree with the other comments that you wouldn't plan a vacation to Southern Pines solely to play Tobacco Road. In my opinion if you travel to the area you should definitely take a morning / afternoon to play it. There are very few courses like it and, to the point earlier, if you can ignore the eye candy it's not a difficult course. The key is positioning yourself off the tee to have the best line into the green.

I putted terribly when I played there but truly enjoyed the mind games of working the ball to the flag off of slopes, especially when chipping / bunker shots around the green.

GHIN Index 12.9

Are there people that come to Pinehurst specifically to play TR? I suppose there could be, maybe Strantz fans, but it doesn't seem to me like much of a draw on its own.

I concur with Davep043's take, if you're in the area it's definitely worth a play. Some love it, some hate it. It's on my list of courses I will definitely play in the area. It's crazy but if you ignore the mind games it's a very scoreable course with lots of risk/reward opportunities. My favorite courses are the classic Ross layouts, but TR is fun.

I didn't care for Tot Hill Farm.

That course is not fun. On the par 3 with the guest house check out where his ball is...next to the pin. Same pin on bent greens, I hit it about 3 feet right of that and spun it in the water. The par 5 on the back with the two dunes in front of the hole (gunsight hole), pin was on the left and I hit it right at the flag from 70 yards and lost the ball. Playing partner was about 100 yards and hit a low miss right in between the dunes that ended up about 1 foot from hole. That's not my definition of a good golf course. Now spinning that ball back into the water is my fault. But when you play a course for the first time, one would assume that landing that far up into the green would be ok.

Of course, I wouldn't come to Pinehurst specifically to play Tobacco Road, but in the same breath, I wouldn't go to Pinehurst to play only 1 time, 1 course either..... I would play at least 3-4 courses.....one of which I would include would be Tobacco Road :taunt: . Although I played Mid South and SouthPines when I was there back around 2010-2012?, wife/son/myself also played Tobacco Road, then Woodlake (Arnold Palmer course) in Vass, NC, then up to RTP and played Duke's course (wanted to play NC State's new course but it wasn't open till 1 month later). I reminisced with Duke's course....as a grad student at NC State, me and several other golfing grad students would 'take an afternoon' off every now and then to play golf (lord knows we put the time in to deserve it)….and Duke was one of our destinations that we played about half dozen times (they offered student rates, even when we were NC state students, lol). At the time, they didn't have 'named courses' in Raleigh except the country clubs....so we played Lochmere GC (one of better ones), Eagle Ridge?, Wil-Mar, Cheviot Hills, Raleigh Municipal course, RGA (oh, what a goat track, but cheap), and another favorite I loved because of the Azaleas that reminded me of the Masters, was the Campbell University, Keith Hills course in Buies Creek NC (about 45 min south of Raleigh).

I was a grad student at NCState in the late 70s, played Cheviot Hills a lot. In fact, I shot my first 70-something score there, and the pro made sure ot made the newspaper. Also played Keith Hills afew times, but that was a special occasion. Good memories.