2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade Tour Issue 2016-2018 M Series Drivers....Trackman Comparison Data

TollBros

Current shafts for my m3 tour head I got from from JT and GGE. The head was the 5th item I have purchased from them over the past 2 years and will certainly continue to do so. All items you see here have been from them. I'm excited to see what the green proto will do in the m3. I played the DF in a retail m3(well 3 of them) last fall so I am very comfortable with that combo. FWIW I didn't get along with the DF in the other heads I tried(F9 and 7* g400max tour head) but the green proto was noticeably better pariring with those mid spin heads. I may have to adjust loft a little given how much lower spin the green is but I'm excited to see what the differences are.

When you know, please let us know how the green works for you in the M3 head. It wad the exact combo I was very close to playing until the M5 came and changed things for me. I still have that club perfectly set up for me and will be holding on to it. It was every bit as good as my 2016 M2 and a little more predictable with the flight.

Certainly will once I get an opportunity to. Weather shows a warming trend this week and then daylight savings so I should have the opportunity soon.

It was -6 here this morning, so hopefully you'll see temps at least 50 degrees above us. :swoon:

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Well tomorrow is a big day. Going to be 60* + so I’ll be out on the course. I have my diamana DF and atx green ready to go and I just got a dozen of the new srixon xv and Bstone Tour B X. The reason it’s a big day is because I’m going to make a decision between those 2 driver shafts.

This really only means that the loser will be sold to help fund a new 130 rogue white to try. Seeing as though I’m between jobs currently and I have a golf trip in a couple of weeks, I can’t justify the purchase of a new rogue white. But that doesn’t mean I can’t unload of items to fund it, right?

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Well tomorrow is a big day. Going to be 60* + so I’ll be out on the course. I have my diamana DF and atx green ready to go and I just got a dozen of the new srixon xv and Bstone Tour B X. The reason it’s a big day is because I’m going to make a decision between those 2 driver shafts.

This really only means that the loser will be sold to help fund a new 130 rogue white to try. Seeing as though I’m between jobs currently and I have a golf trip in a couple of weeks, I can’t justify the purchase of a new rogue white. But that doesn’t mean I can’t unload of items to fund it, right?

Interested to hear it. I think M3 is a massively underrated driver, and honestly a better fit for most players than any of the M1 heads.

Got on FlightScope X3 today. Here’s my last one from today with the m3/DF 70tx combo. Could cut spin a little as my average launch was 12.5 and spin was 2700-2900.

Piretti Savona 

After 50 plus balls on FlightScope X2 I averaged 130 club speed. 190 ball speed. But my launch is at 15 degrees with 2900 spin. I'm playing a Tour Issue M4 8.1 degrees turned all the way down with Kuro Kage XD 70 tipped 1 1/2. How should I get down to 12-13 and 2200 spin?

how are you launching a head at effectively 7 degrees at 15?

but I guess answer is less loft

After 50 plus balls on FlightScope X2 I averaged 130 club speed. 190 ball speed. But my launch is at 15 degrees with 2900 spin. I’m playing a Tour Issue M4 8.1 degrees turned all the way down with Kuro Kage XD 70 tipped 1 1/2. How should I get down to 12-13 and 2200 spin?

Deliver about 2-3* less dynamic loft at impact.

Piretti Savona 

After 50 plus balls on FlightScope X2 I averaged 130 club speed. 190 ball speed. But my launch is at 15 degrees with 2900 spin. I'm playing a Tour Issue M4 8.1 degrees turned all the way down with Kuro Kage XD 70 tipped 1 1/2. How should I get down to 12-13 and 2200 spin?

That's why I've played my 2016 M2 at 6.9 loft on the face, with Synergy Black, the lowest spin shaft I could find. I'd say barring a swing change, you need less loft and a lower launch profile. Aldila Rogue 130 Silver might be an option to help with some of it.

Got on FlightScope X3 today. Here's my last one from today with the m3/DF 70tx combo. Could cut spin a little as my average launch was 12.5 and spin was 2700-2900.

I'm interested to see what the other 2 shafts do for you.

The green gave me about the same launch but with 200-300 less spin probably. My cousin wanted the green badly so he bought it after our round Monday. Those proceeds went to the rogue white!

Piretti Savona 

Yes I have tried it seems like I’m either 15-17 spin loft or 6-7 spin loft. I can’t get to that 11-12 spin loft that I’ve heard is optimal.

I don’t want to go off topic but how does a shaft or head lower spin? Does certain shafts or heads reduce dynamic loft? I have bought a Tensei Orange 70tx and a Kuro Kage XD 70tx from Toll along with a TZ6 65 M5 and my numbers are all pretty close depending on strike.

Yes I have tried it seems like I’m either 15-17 spin loft or 6-7 spin loft. I can’t get to that 11-12 spin loft that I’ve heard is optimal.

I don’t want to go off topic but how does a shaft or head lower spin? Does certain shafts or heads reduce dynamic loft? I have bought a Tensei Orange 70tx and a Kuro Kage XD 70tx from Toll along with a TZ6 65 M5 and my numbers are all pretty close depending on strike.

Loft will reduce launch angle by 1 degree and 300rpm per degree. The shaft kicks forward at impact so a stiffer, more tip stiff shaft decreases the forward release of the load and keeps the dynamic loft down. At your speed something around 12-13 and 2000-2200 would be great. The most important thing is the spin. Even if launch goes lower than we want to get the spin we want, that's better than too much spin.

Got on FlightScope X3 today. Here's my last one from today with the m3/DF 70tx combo. Could cut spin a little as my average launch was 12.5 and spin was 2700-2900.

The green gave me about the same launch but with 200-300 less spin probably. My cousin wanted the green badly so he bought it after our round Monday. Those proceeds went to the rogue white!

I'm hoping the 60 will be tight enough. You might be to the point where a stiffer, heavier shaft might be in order.

I'm hoping the 60 will be tight enough. You might be to the point where a stiffer, heavier shaft might be in order.

Well normally I would get the 70 but it was out of stock and I have a golf trip planned on the 24th!

Piretti Savona 

Toll do you think a similar lofted M5/M5 Tour would cut 4-500 spin? Or that with Rogue 130?

Both would be a good place to start but yes, an M5 head in the 7.5 degree loft range will bring the spin down. There's nothing out there except sldr that is going to spin less than m5.

The SLDR was crazy long for me but mishits ended up multiple zip codes over instead of just one zip code offline. I thought it was somewhat unfairly maligned.

Toll do you think a similar lofted M5/M5 Tour would cut 4-500 spin? Or that with Rogue 130?

Both would be a good place to start but yes, an M5 head in the 7.5 degree loft range will bring the spin down. There's nothing out there except sldr that is going to spin less than m5.

The SLDR was crazy long for me but mishits ended up multiple zip codes over instead of just one zip code offline. I thought it was somewhat unfairly maligned.

Welcome to the land of too little spin

Good players played it well and had success with it. And a lot of guys really liked it. It was, however, definitely one club that should not have made it to retail as probably 97% of all golfers should not have played that driver.

Mark Crossfield would go crazy if he saw this thread....hahahahaha

He's the rare bird. A short hitter who seemlessly adjust to anything you put in his hands to make an adjusted swing to mimic the same launch and spin he wants. Honestly he's damn impressive when it comes to his seemless ability to adjust and repeat with the minor changes needed to deliver the head the same every time. Seriously. He's literally .00001% of all golfers in his ability to do so. It also makes him the absolute worst person on the planet to do club reviews. You want the same exact swing with every club, but he adjusts so easily that he makes every club do the same thing. I've really only ever seen one other person be able to do this in 15 years in the industry.

He's the rare bird. A short hitter who seemlessly adjust to anything you put in his hands to make an adjusted swing to mimic the same launch and spin he wants. Honestly he's damn impressive when it comes to his seemless ability to adjust and repeat with the minor changes needed to deliver the head the same every time. Seriously. He's literally .00001% of all golfers in his ability to do so. It also makes him the absolute worst person on the planet to do club reviews. You want the same exact swing with every club, but he adjusts so easily that he makes every club do the same thing. I've really only ever seen one other person be able to do this in 15 years in the industry.

Yeah, but I actually think he is a good reviewer of clubs. He can adjust and get good performance of every driver, and I think that many times thats fair to the driver he reviews.

Yeah, but I actually think he is a good reviewer of clubs. He can adjust and get good performance of every driver, and I think that many times thats fair to the driver he reviews.

But that would make him a good reviewer for the OEMs, not the consumer.

Piretti Savona 

But that would make him a good reviewer for the OEMs, not the consumer.

Yes, thats true, in a way, but I also feel he is good at telling us which sort of driver is best for different types of players. BUT his credibility sank when he signed with Titleist. No we see that brand in every damn video. And at the same time he wants to be the sort of "underground" "free" reviewer who always speaks his mind and you cant really do that with credibility if you are not independent...

Both he and Dan also have probably the "worst" tempo for testing shafts as they are both quite smooth and even overall.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Both he and Dan also have probably the "worst" tempo for testing shafts as they are both quite smooth and even overall.

That's true. When you don't put much load on the shaft, the profile means less in terms of the degree of launch and spin. His release also is a bit early so that as well adds to the lack of load. The guy is an impressive little machine of a player who could literally use just about anything.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. And if a Taylor Made driver actually gives him 7-10 yards extra he usually says: "not much in it". lol

• 4 weeks later...