2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Just put in my pre order (starts 3/22) for the buy 3 get 1 free, on the yellow AVX. I have not played an AVX yet but since I am a high ball hitter, I just took a leap of faith to give them a try. I usually go back and forth between the ZStar and DT Truesoft (both in yellow) :taunt:

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Just put in my pre order (starts 3/22) for the buy 3 get 1 free, on the yellow AVX. I have not played an AVX yet but since I am a high ball hitter, I just took a leap of faith to give them a try. I usually go back and forth between the ZStar and DT Truesoft (both in yellow) :taunt:

Why on earth would you commit to purchasing 4 DOZEN balls you've never even tried ?

I know it's still cold there but can't you buy and try a sleeve before the special expires ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Why on earth would you commit to purchasing 4 DOZEN balls you've never even tried ?

I know it's still cold there but can't you buy and try a sleeve before the special expires ?

Just felt like playing a different ball this year. I putted with one and I liked the soft feel off of the putter, it will spin plenty for my ball height, and I seem to do better with balls that spin low off of the tee. I have played Srixon Q and Z, Titleist DT and ProV1, Snell, Vice, MG, Callaway, you name it, if it comes in yellow I have tried most of them in both urethane and surlyn covers. I don't think the ball ever raised or lowered my handicap as much as a club fitting and practice, but I do believe in playing the same ball all of the time once you commit to one.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Just felt like playing a different ball this year. I putted with one and I liked the soft feel off of the putter, it will spin plenty for my ball height, and I seem to do better with balls that spin low off of the tee. I have played Srixon Q and Z, Titleist DT and ProV1, Snell, Vice, MG, Callaway, you name it, if it comes in yellow I have tried most of them in both urethane and surlyn covers. I don't think the ball ever raised or lowered my handicap as much as a club fitting and practice, but I do believe in playing the same ball all of the time once you commit to one.

ur gonna love this ball.

The AVX yellow is a nice color too--more of a highlighter greenish yellow than a don't-eat-the-yellow-snow yellow, IMO. It's equally easy to spot from the middle of the fairway or from the woods.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played my last 2 rounds with the AVX, coming from ProV1. Oddly I have lost at least 20 yards with the driver, it just feels dead off the face, no jump at all. Yet my irons are going one club longer. It's a weird mix as I thought the tee shots would be longer.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

> @fredstar said:

> Just played my last 2 rounds with the AVX, coming from ProV1. Oddly I have lost at least 20 yards with the driver, it just feels dead off the face, no jump at all. Yet my irons are going one club longer. It's a weird mix as I thought the tee shots would be longer.

You’re probably not spinning it enough with your driver soit’s flight is stalling.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @fredstar said:

> > Just played my last 2 rounds with the AVX, coming from ProV1. Oddly I have lost at least 20 yards with the driver, it just feels dead off the face, no jump at all. Yet my irons are going one club longer. It's a weird mix as I thought the tee shots would be longer.

>

> You’re probably not spinning it enough with your driver soit’s flight is stalling.

>

Yeah I figured that was what is happening, too low spin.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a ProV1 player but recently I've been playing the Chrome Soft Truvis and have been generally happy with it. I tried the AVX this weekend and was really impressed. It feels just as soft as the Chrome Soft to me but is clearly longer, especially off the irons. About 1/2 club longer. I like the lower trajectory as I play in the wind a lot. It flies straighter than the Chrome Soft or ProV1. The yellow is a good color for it. I had no problems getting it to hold on the greens. This is a really good golf ball. I went for the 4 dozen for the price of three deal as soon as I got back to the Pro Shop.

I've just bought a sleeve to try out tonight.

Typically play in windy conditions and a somewhat links like courses. The Pro V1 has been ok but the x in windy conditions just spins up so so much for me in direct wind. Wind behind though and it's a monster.

Always happy to see lower spin numbers so hopefully this is the one, if so I'll pick up 4 dozen before the deal ends, I think this ball on paper ticks all the boxes. Need to stop attacking pins also as the greens typically aren't the most receptive and need to be played with roll out in mind which is another plus for the AVX.

Will hopefully make me play low sensible chip shots into green taking roll out into consideration rather than being aggressive with wedge play forcing the ball to spin on firm unwatered greens which can lead to all sorts of results.

I found one of these yesterday while playing at The Boulders in Arizona, and I wanted to try them last year but never got around to it so it was a good test run for 11 holes in bone dry conditions.

My regular ball is a titleist tour soft. The AVX has a firm feel, kinda “clicks” off the irons. It was just as long as the tour soft on all clubs and I didn’t notice any trajectory differences. I had 3 shots in particular, one was 102 yards and I hit a 3/4 52 degree that hopped once and grabbed (absolutely nipped it) and another from 75 yards where I hit a smooth 58 degree and “drove” it in lower and stopped on a dime. I also had 205 front on #16 playing from the back. I’d normally hit my 4 crossover but opted to hit 5iron to play just short. I ended up ripping it and put it on the front third. Consider desert conditions and maybe 5 was the right club. A while back I played the pro v1 x but I’d back those up, hence why I went to the tour soft. These are better with the shorter full wedges and great in full shots.

Got to play the AVX yellow for a few holes yesterday. I really got tired of the guy hitting into me. So after almost hitting my wife in the cart, I picked up that jerks yellow AVX ball and played it the last few holes. Wow! Loved it and it was a 1/2 club longer in on clubs that my Snell Red.

Thanks dude.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Yeah, it hurts shelling out the dough, but it is a tough ball. I also hit my longest drives ever with this, amazing! At first it felt a bit hard as I have been using B330RX, and Volvik Vivid, but my confidence really went up with this. It is straighter than anything I have ever hit, and long too. My irons like it as well.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Is the AVX supposed to be $39/doz? I thought I read in this thread that the AVX price dropped slightly below the ProV lines. The two stores I looked at had them at $47 just like the other ProV

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @Minarets said:

> Is the AVX supposed to be $39/doz? I thought I read in this thread that the AVX price dropped slightly below the ProV lines. The two stores I looked at had them at $47 just like the other ProV

Nope. It's always been the same price as the ProVs,,,,,,

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

> @bigmoneyp said:

**Is there a such thing as a "poor mans AVX? **Love the ball but don't wanna pay that premium price.

No. If you really like the AVX (or any ball for that matter) and it helps your game take advantage of the current Titleist buy 3 dozen get 1 free offer (personalized) that will get you 4 dozen balls at $36/per. The ball is the only piece of equipment used on every shot. If the AVX is that good for you pay the price for them. Pretty simple. It's confounding how many people continually cheap out on the ball that they like, fits their game but will blindly buy much more expensive equipment without a second thought that doesn't work for them. Then again maybe not.

> @grm24 said:

> No. If you really like the AVX (or any ball for that matter) and it helps your game take advantage of the current Titleist buy 3 dozen get 1 free offer (personalized) that will get you 4 dozen balls at $36/per. The ball is the only piece of equipment used on every shot. If the AVX is that good for you pay the price for them. Pretty simple. It's confounding how many people continually cheap out on the ball that they like, fits their game but will blindly buy much more expensive equipment without a second thought that doesn't work for them. Then again maybe not.

I'm not actually "pretty simple" for me. The question becomes am I getting enough of a benefit to justify the price. When I'm playing well the AVX fits my game perfect. Its long, its straight, I love the feel and around the greens it reacts nice for my bump and run style of play. I like the consistency but even at the promotion price its still $3/ball. I can get Top Flite D2 Feel for .67/ball. I understand fully that these balls are not in the same category and don't play the same but I can make adjustments to play either ball. There is no doubt the AVX is a better ball but the question becomes is it 5x better? For some it may be, for me I'm not so sure.

> @bigmoneyp said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > No. If you really like the AVX (or any ball for that matter) and it helps your game take advantage of the current Titleist buy 3 dozen get 1 free offer (personalized) that will get you 4 dozen balls at $36/per. The ball is the only piece of equipment used on every shot. If the AVX is that good for you pay the price for them. Pretty simple. It's confounding how many people continually cheap out on the ball that they like, fits their game but will blindly buy much more expensive equipment without a second thought that doesn't work for them. Then again maybe not.

>

> I'm not actually "pretty simple" for me. The question becomes am I getting enough of a benefit to justify the price. When I'm playing well the AVX fits my game perfect. Its long, its straight, I love the feel and around the greens it reacts nice for my bump and run style of play. I like the consistency but even at the promotion price its still $3/ball. I can get Top Flite D2 Feel for .67/ball. I understand fully that these balls are not in the same category and don't play the same but I can make adjustments to play either ball. There is no doubt the AVX is a better ball but the question becomes is it 5x better? For some it may be, for me I'm not so sure.

>

>

IF one loses 2 or 3 balls a round I can understand price being an issue.

Otherwise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This always kills me. AVX costs $4 per ball. As pointed out $3 per if you take advantage of their annual offer. That's about **$2.33 PER ROUND** more than the Top Flite.

With all the guys who spend $75 on a golf shirt only to wear it 4 or 5 times before they won't wear it again because they have newer and brighter ones - **$15-$18 PER ROUND**

and the guys who spend $400 on a driver only to use it for 15 rounds or so and sell it for $250 if they're lucky - **$10 PER round**

or the guys who spend $150-$200 for a pair of shoes they wear maybe 20 times and then throw them away - **$7-$10 PER round**,

or buying a set of irons for $1000 that a year or less later, say about 30 rounds, you can only get $400 for - **$20 PER round**

or guys who have no issue paying **$5 for a Gatorade twice** a round and think nothing of it.

not to mention green fees of of **$30-$70 ( and UP) PER round**.......

And even IF one does very little of the swapping of equipment mentioned above it still astonishes me that ANYBODY would balk at paying an additional $2-$3 per round for the best golf ball for their game.

Sorry. Makes ZERO sense to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

> @bigmoneyp said:

> Is there a such thing as a "poor mans AVX"? Love the ball but don't wanna pay that premium price.

I got the buy 3 get one free deal(yellow AVX) and then purchased with my company credit card and used the free personalization option to put my business name. With the free dozen and then the tax write off the balls get closer to $2 a ball. That sounds a lot better than almost $4 a ball.

• Like 1

> @nsxguy said:

> This always kills me. AVX costs $4 per ball. As pointed out $3 per if you take advantage of their annual offer. That's about **$2.33 PER ROUND** more than the Top Flite.

Thats exactly it, I'll use 3 balls per round on average. That ~2/round now jumps to $7 and over 35 rounds/year thats $245. I'm only speaking about in my case, obv YMMV.

> @bigmoneyp said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > This always kills me. AVX costs $4 per ball. As pointed out $3 per if you take advantage of their annual offer. That's about **$2.33 PER ROUND** more than the Top Flite.

> Thats exactly it, I'll use 3 balls per round on average. That ~2/round now jumps to $7 and over 35 rounds/year thats $245. I'm only speaking about in my case, obv YMMV.

>

Fair enough. But even at $7 per round, assuming you lose 2, compared to all those other costs (IF they apply to you of course) still not a huge difference.

That said, I don't particularly like drowning a $4 ball either LMAO

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > Is the AVX supposed to be $39/doz? I thought I read in this thread that the AVX price dropped slightly below the ProV lines. The two stores I looked at had them at $47 just like the other ProV

>

> Nope. It's always been the same price as the ProVs,,,,,,

Last fall, my local golf shop sold the AVX for $39/doz. They said Titleist gave them permission. I have not had a chance to go back to check but now everyplace else I check is at $47... Really bummed out about this as they are great in the wind and rollout the best. $39 is my max price...

[size=2]Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 Aldila Rogue 65-S, RIP Alpha 60-S
3 Wood: Titleist 904F 15 Fujikura Speeder S
5 Wood: Titleist 904F 19 Aldila NV 75-S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21 Graphic Design 85s
Irons: Miura CB-202 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: Mizuno S18 50,55,60 S18 UST Recoil 95 F4
Putter: Titleist Select[/size]