Swing Speed Guidance

Trying to find average speed is going to be tough because most people have never been put in front of a trackman. Getting a good driver and focusing on ball striking is going to increase much more than a few mph on speed training.

If you kid is fast you already know this as well. It's pretty obvious and I would bet you noticed it from the first time they played golf. The average kid is going to be way less than 90 mph. The average adult is less than that if you include seniors.

A better way to look at things is what are you seeing out there in tournaments.

To me when I seen the boys hit between 10-12 the average distance is a little over 200 yards. I haven't followed a lot boys so I may be off but it seems that is about is where they are hitting when I seen them playing.

For girls I would suspect 10-12 is around 180-190 yards for average.

This is for higher level state wide tournaments so it may be high if you looking at something like a US kids tournament. I think though these numbers can be reached with reasonable expectations. Not all kids can hit it 250 or should need to based on yardage.

Trying to find average speed is going to be tough because most people have never been put in front of a trackman. Getting a good driver and focusing on ball striking is going to increase much more than a few mph on speed training.

If you kid is fast you already know this as well. It's pretty obvious and I would bet you noticed it from the first time they played golf. The average kid is going to be way less than 90 mph. The average adult is less than that if you include seniors.

To me when I seen the boys hit between 10-12 the average distance is a little over 200 yards. I haven't followed a lot boys so I may be off but it seems that is about is where they are hitting when I seen them playing.

This is for higher level state wide tournaments so it may be high if you looking at something like a US kids tournament. I think though these numbers can be reached with reasonable expectations. Not all kids can hit it 250 or should need to based on yardage.

Tiger your daughter and mine played together at the Honda and I would say that you are right on the girls. My daughter hits her drive 165 and she is 11. The other 11 year old girls were hitting it 190-200. Your daughter was past that but the good ones were all around 190-200. My daughter was the smallest one in the field for her age and that is a huge reason she is shorter than the other girls. The is a direct relationship in junior golf between the kids weight and their driving distance. The heavier kids always hit it further. If you look at the longest kids in each age group, they are usually the biggest kids. With girls, puberty comes earlier than boys and that plays a huge effect. You have some girls who look like full grown women by 12 and some who haven't even started puberty.

9 - 80+

10 - 85+

11 - 92+

With all due respect, this seems way off (inflated), unless by "upper range" you are referring to top 1% (basically a handful of players in the US).

Top 10-25% of 11yo boys are not hitting their drives 240-245, nor are 10yo's or 9yo's consistently hitting it 220 or 200+, respectively.

If you say so.

How about this: how many boys do you know who can actually *consistently* drive the distances mentioned above? More than a few?

A more reasonable discussion might revolve around what the *median* driving distance is among tournament golfers by age. I would guess it would look something like the following:

Boys

9 - 145

10 - 160

11 - 175

I can name four right now off the top of my head that we play against locally.

http://www.drivechipandputt.com/finals/leaderboard

The kids at the DCP in the 12-13 year old age group aren't breaking 95. A couple in the 10-11 age group are breaking 90. A kid breaking 90mph at 11 is in the top 1% in my opinion.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I sort of agree. :)

My son is 15....so....speed stick training could be impacting 10-12 year olds more than a few years ago. My son was considered 'long' for a 12yo. He would hit his driver 210-230. There were alway outliers at worlds or future masters....but, rarely did he encounter longer players on a regional level.

If it helps he has consistently been one of the longer players for his age.

12 years old 82 mph SS

13 broke 100

14 105

15 112

These numbers are from trackman

I can only imagine the swing speed progression of the above speeds.

From what I can tell is speed really is not faster but the use of the swing speed radar and cheap launch monitors are much more widespread. This is resulting in a lot people thinking they are faster than they really are.

I first noticed an issue with those little swing radar's when it said I had 130-135 mph swing. I guarantee you that I am not that fast. Wish I was but I am anywhere near that.

We also seen crazy high numbers for my daughter as well. We have confirmed her speed on trackman for distance and speed but it was not as high as the swing radar at all. Probably at least 10-15 mph off.

Also remember everyone talks about peak speed and distance. Average speed and distance is the real number you want.I had a good lesson in last week on how Very Very few people on this planet can hit a driver peak the majority of the time and people lie to themselves about true average.

9 - 80+

10 - 85+

11 - 92+

With all due respect, this seems way off (inflated), unless by "upper range" you are referring to top 1% (basically a handful of players in the US).

Top 10-25% of 11yo boys are not hitting their drives 240-245, nor are 10yo's or 9yo's consistently hitting it 220 or 200+, respectively.

If you say so.

How about this: how many boys do you know who can actually *consistently* drive the distances mentioned above? More than a few?

A more reasonable discussion might revolve around what the *median* driving distance is among tournament golfers by age. I would guess it would look something like the following:

Boys

9 - 145

10 - 160

11 - 175

I don't know if you meant average (mean), but this is way low. You can just look at DPC qualifier results and see that this is low. Can't go by distance bc all courses are different as are regions of the country (e.g., some places are fast and firm (southern CA), some have higher elevations, and some have little roll, particularly if you're playing on muni's).

My son is 10.5. He has always been on the longer side, but not a 1%er. Yesterday, he was 83 on swing radar and averaged 80 after about 10 drives at the range (this was after 6 weeks of swing speed training). As HH pointed out, this may be off due to when it gets measued. Impact is good, so I am predicting some carries of 190+ this season.

Can't be 145 at 9. My son drove the green at world's at 6 that was lasered 140, if I recall correctly.

Again, this isn't to boast, but on our tour, I would say most of the top 5 players we play with that are 10-11 today have to be around 76+. There are 2-3 kids I know that poke it farther than my son on our tour alone.

Median - half above, half below.

The median tournament golfer is shooting in the low 90s for those ages, even in the most competitive local tours.

Boys

9 - 145

10 - 160

11 - 175

I don't know if you meant average (mean), but this is way low. You can just look at DPC qualifier results and see that this is low. Can't go by distance bc all courses are different as are regions of the country (e.g., some places are fast and firm (southern CA), some have higher elevations, and some have little roll, particularly if you're playing on muni's).

My son is 10.5. He has always been on the longer side, but not a 1%er. Yesterday, he was 83 on swing radar and averaged 80 after about 10 drives at the range (this was after 6 weeks of swing speed training). As HH pointed out, this may be off due to when it gets measued. Impact is good, so I am predicting some carries of 190+ this season.

Can't be 145 at 9. My son drove the green at world's at 6 that was lasered 140, if I recall correctly.

Again, this isn't to boast, but on our tour, I would say most of the top 5 players we play with that are 10-11 today have to be around 76+. There are 2-3 kids I know that poke it farther than my son on our tour alone.

Median - half above, half below.

The median tournament golfer is shooting in the low 90s for those ages, even in the most competitive local tours.

I also think the average junior golfer and parent dramatically overestimates how far he is hitting his tee shots. Almost everyone I know who first uses Arccos or Game Golf is surprised by what their actual *average* driver distance is compared to what they estimated it to be.

I think it’s less so over-estimation by competitive junior golfers/parents. Everything is being lasered these days. I think over-estimation comes when they don’t realize how much a ball rolled out. At the upper levels there are always a hole or there that can be drive chip and putt, so those get lasered from the tee box.

Tiger your daughter and mine played together at the Honda and I would say that you are right on the girls. My daughter hits her drive 165 and she is 11. The other 11 year old girls were hitting it 190-200. Your daughter was past that but the good ones were all around 190-200. My daughter was the smallest one in the field for her age and that is a huge reason she is shorter than the other girls. The is a direct relationship in junior golf between the kids weight and their driving distance. The heavier kids always hit it further. If you look at the longest kids in each age group, they are usually the biggest kids. With girls, puberty comes earlier than boys and that plays a huge effect. You have some girls who look like full grown women by 12 and some who haven't even started puberty.

There is also a direct correlation that as you age, the heavier you are hinders how long you can hit a golf ball. Chris Finn at Par4Success does some great work.

I think it's less so over-estimation by competitive junior golfers/parents. Everything is being lasered these days. I think over-estimation comes when they don't realize how much a ball rolled out. At the upper levels there are always a hole or there that can be drive chip and putt, so those get lasered from the tee box.

You would be surprised. I don't think it is less over estimated at all by competitive junior golf parents.

Upper Levels? I haven't seen a 250 yard par 4 in some time.

I think it's less so over-estimation by competitive junior golfers/parents. Everything is being lasered these days. I think over-estimation comes when they don't realize how much a ball rolled out. At the upper levels there are always a hole or there that can be drive chip and putt, so those get lasered from the tee box.

You would be surprised. I don't think it is less over estimated at all by competitive junior golf parents.

Upper Levels? I haven't seen a 250 yard par 4 in some time.

I meant upper levels for boys 8-11. Those distances are measured on short par 4s so driving distance is a little more accurate. I agree, even at shorter USKG setups, once you hit 12, not going to be any DCP holes. Even at 10-11, I guess the shortest par 4s measure 270ish and those are definitely laser'd from the tee box, even if it's not DCP. So players/caddie gets a good idea of distance off drives.

9 - 80+

10 - 85+

11 - 92+

If you say so.

Boys

9 - 145

10 - 160

11 - 175

My 8 year old daughter drives it further than 145. I would think that be a little low. Unless you are talking carry

9 - 80+

10 - 85+

11 - 92+

If you say so.

Boys

9 - 145

10 - 160

11 - 175

My 8 year old daughter drives it further than 145. I would think that be a little low. Unless you are talking carry

Is your daughter bigger/better than the 50th percentile 9yo boy golfer?

Tiger - you have to switch from KPH to MPH :)

I am MPH and for sure it's off for sure a lot had an extensive session with my daughter on trackman and I am going off the difference based on that. She fast for sure but not as fast as it states. There totally useless as a measurement device only helps as a baseline. But perhaps mine got the chip means for golf stores to make you feel like the new club goes farther.

This is an article from my son's fitness instructor on swing speed. I personally feel that the age group 10-16 is not ideal for the sample size as their is a big difference in kids that have been through puberty. Chris is a contributor to WRX as well.

http://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing/club_head_speed_by_age_group_what_percentile_are_you_in?fbclid=IwAR0DRBK_rGxsdopAzWlIvAMgZlpSne-SQRQFJyg2VNTsVxjdN0k4aEg34jA

Almost everyone overestimates their distances especially kids who are growing a lot. Yes everyone knows their peak distance but once you play a few holes and have pressure of a narrow fairway those distance can drop a lot. When you factor in weather and if the ball is wet or not the distances can drop even more.

The difference between 80 and a 68 is the person who really understands their true distances based on the current conditions. If you add in the fact that kid is growing and distances change day to day with irons. It amazing that kids score as low as they do.

Almost everyone overestimates their distances especially kids who are growing a lot. Yes everyone knows their peak distance but once you play a few holes and have pressure of a narrow fairway those distance can drop a lot. When you factor in weather and if the ball is wet or not the distances can drop even more.

The difference between 80 and a 68 is the person who really understands their true distances based on the current conditions. If you add in the fact that kid is growing and distances change day to day with irons. It amazing that kids score as low as they do.

Your contributions to these discussion are truly amazing. “The difference between 80 and a 68 is the person who really understands their true distances based on the current conditions.”

Is your daughter bigger/better than the 50th percentile 9yo boy golfer?

My 8 year old drives also quite a bit father then 145 and she is just using a US kids driver. The real problem though like most 8 year olds that is only 50% of the time that you actually see a nice long drive. Most of us don't talk about the flubs that go 50 yards. If you add that in her real carry average is much lower and ends up being around 125 or so if you have to go over a hazard.

I actually think 145 is probably a good average for an average 9 year old boy who doesn't play many tournaments since they probably mess up 25-40% of their drives. I am not talking about kids who play week in week out though there probably on the higher side of things.

Does anyone have guidance on swing speed with driver for 12U? Just curious what the upper range is. Also, is the swing radar device usually used for swing speed training accurate (the little grey/blue box)?

I would guess that you would go up an age group when speaking of girls. So 10-year old boy v 11/12 year-old girl would be a good barometer. I'll take a stab, but have no idea:

Boys (upper-levels):

7 - 68+

8 - 72+

9 - 76+

10 - 80+

11- 85+

12 - 92+

I know ball speed is most important for distance.

Chart is more accurate for girls as far as top speeds there are a few 12 year old girls out there more then 92 mph plus.

Also the most important factor for distance is how well you hit the club. If you can't center the impact your going to lose a lot of distance more then anything. A lot of yardage can be gained by technique and better ball striking.

Too many people just focus on speed. Yes speed is nice but it not the only thing either.

Not even close to average speed for girls.

I agree for average this very high speed I was thinking this was this for higher end speed ranges.

This lady is not a short hitter on the LPGA-94.7

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/sei-young-kim-winner-of-the-thornberry-creek-lpga-classic/

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting subject. My son's driving distance has dropped off with puberty. Now I can catch him most of the time. He's in the midst of quitting the game now, anyway...which is heartbreaking to all who've seen him out there.

I did happens to watch high school kids compete for the first time just yesterday. I sat with beer behind the first tee at our club as two high schools went at it. It was interesting. Lots of very nice swings. But, the distances were not what I would expect. Almost all of them were landing right where I land (I'm old). I did recognize two of the boys. One was a little kid with thick glasses who had been an older kid in Jr PGA with my boy. Smallish kid with a nice swing - hit the fairway right in the middle. And, the one long kid was a kid who played through when I was playing with my son a couple years back. This is a big boy, about 6'2" at least, and heavy. Murders the ball. It was fun to watch. I kinda chuckled at mannerisms on the first tee that I recognized from some of the PGA pros on tv. One kid was surely a Keegan Bradley fan...haha!

> @BeerPerHole said:

> Interesting subject. My son's driving distance has dropped off with puberty. Now I can catch him most of the time. He's in the midst of quitting the game now, anyway...which is heartbreaking to all who've seen him out there.

>

> I did happens to watch high school kids compete for the first time just yesterday. I sat with beer behind the first tee at our club as two high schools went at it. It was interesting. Lots of very nice swings. But, the distances were not what I would expect. Almost all of them were landing right where I land (I'm old). I did recognize two of the boys. One was a little kid with thick glasses who had been an older kid in Jr PGA with my boy. Smallish kid with a nice swing - hit the fairway right in the middle. And, the one long kid was a kid who played through when I was playing with my son a couple years back. This is a big boy, about 6'2" at least, and heavy. Murders the ball. It was fun to watch. I kinda chuckled at mannerisms on the first tee that I recognized from some of the PGA pros on tv. One kid was surely a Keegan Bradley fan...haha!

I thought your boy was hitting them 280 - 290 lately by not swaying.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @CTgolf said:

> leezer99 wrote:

>

>

> CTgolf wrote:

>

>

> leezer99 wrote:

>

>

>

> 9 - 80+

>

> 10 - 85+

>

> 11 - 92+

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> With all due respect, this seems way off (inflated), unless by "upper range" you are referring to top 1% (basically a handful of players in the US).

>

>

>

> Top 10-25% of 11yo boys are not hitting their drives 240-245, nor are 10yo's or 9yo's consistently hitting it 220 or 200+, respectively.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> If you say so.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> How about this: how many boys do you know who can actually *consistently* drive the distances mentioned above? More than a few?

>

>

>

> A more reasonable discussion might revolve around what the *median* driving distance is among tournament golfers by age. I would guess it would look something like the following:

>

> Boys

>

> 9 - 145

>

> 10 - 160

>

> 11 - 175

I teach a good number who hit it the yardages specified. I also teach and know kids out are big outliers way above those numbers

Here’s a 10 year old the other day who swings mid 80s and isn’t big for his age. This was actually aight mishit with smash of only 1.45

Too bad to hear that your boy's driving distance dropped off with puberty. Hope he can quickly get over this period and pick up more speed. But I am very surprised about this drop: Aren't boys becoming stronger and faster during puberty? Those physical changes should help increase the swing speed rather than hinder, right? Does he have swing changes that are real culprits?

> @BeerPerHole said:

> Interesting subject. My son's driving distance has dropped off with puberty. Now I can catch him most of the time. He's in the midst of quitting the game now, anyway...which is heartbreaking to all who've seen him out there.

>

> I did happens to watch high school kids compete for the first time just yesterday. I sat with beer behind the first tee at our club as two high schools went at it. It was interesting. Lots of very nice swings. But, the distances were not what I would expect. Almost all of them were landing right where I land (I'm old). I did recognize two of the boys. One was a little kid with thick glasses who had been an older kid in Jr PGA with my boy. Smallish kid with a nice swing - hit the fairway right in the middle. And, the one long kid was a kid who played through when I was playing with my son a couple years back. This is a big boy, about 6'2" at least, and heavy. Murders the ball. It was fun to watch. I kinda chuckled at mannerisms on the first tee that I recognized from some of the PGA pros on tv. One kid was surely a Keegan Bradley fan...haha!

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > leezer99 wrote:

> >

> >

> > CTgolf wrote:

> >

> >

> > leezer99 wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > 9 - 80+

> >

> > 10 - 85+

> >

> > 11 - 92+

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > With all due respect, this seems way off (inflated), unless by "upper range" you are referring to top 1% (basically a handful of players in the US).

> >

> >

> >

> > Top 10-25% of 11yo boys are not hitting their drives 240-245, nor are 10yo's or 9yo's consistently hitting it 220 or 200+, respectively.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > If you say so.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > How about this: how many boys do you know who can actually *consistently* drive the distances mentioned above? More than a few?

> >

> >

> >

> > A more reasonable discussion might revolve around what the *median* driving distance is among tournament golfers by age. I would guess it would look something like the following:

> >

> > Boys

> >

> > 9 - 145

> >

> > 10 - 160

> >

> > 11 - 175

>

> I teach a good number who hit it the yardages specified. I also teach and know kids out are big outliers way above those numbers

>

> Here’s a 10 year old the other day who swings mid 80s and isn’t big for his age. This was actually aight mishit with smash of only 1.45

>

>

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > leezer99 wrote:

> >

> >

> > CTgolf wrote:

> >

> >

> > leezer99 wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > 9 - 80+

> >

> > 10 - 85+

> >

> > 11 - 92+

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > With all due respect, this seems way off (inflated), unless by "upper range" you are referring to top 1% (basically a handful of players in the US).

> >

> >

> >

> > Top 10-25% of 11yo boys are not hitting their drives 240-245, nor are 10yo's or 9yo's consistently hitting it 220 or 200+, respectively.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > If you say so.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > How about this: how many boys do you know who can actually *consistently* drive the distances mentioned above? More than a few?

> >

> >

> >

> > A more reasonable discussion might revolve around what the *median* driving distance is among tournament golfers by age. I would guess it would look something like the following:

> >

> > Boys

> >

> > 9 - 145

> >

> > 10 - 160

> >

> > 11 - 175

>

> I teach a good number who hit it the yardages specified. I also teach and know kids out are big outliers way above those numbers

>

> Here’s a 10 year old the other day who swings mid 80s and isn’t big for his age. This was actually aight mishit with smash of only 1.45

>

>

Not questioning your data, but surprised that the swing you posted is mid-80s. Looks like mid-70s to me.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > leezer99 wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > > CTgolf wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > > leezer99 wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 9 - 80+

> > >

> > > 10 - 85+

> > >

> > > 11 - 92+

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > With all due respect, this seems way off (inflated), unless by "upper range" you are referring to top 1% (basically a handful of players in the US).

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Top 10-25% of 11yo boys are not hitting their drives 240-245, nor are 10yo's or 9yo's consistently hitting it 220 or 200+, respectively.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > If you say so.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > How about this: how many boys do you know who can actually *consistently* drive the distances mentioned above? More than a few?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > A more reasonable discussion might revolve around what the *median* driving distance is among tournament golfers by age. I would guess it would look something like the following:

> > >

> > > Boys

> > >

> > > 9 - 145

> > >

> > > 10 - 160

> > >

> > > 11 - 175

> >

> > I teach a good number who hit it the yardages specified. I also teach and know kids out are big outliers way above those numbers

> >

> > Here’s a 10 year old the other day who swings mid 80s and isn’t big for his age. This was actually aight mishit with smash of only 1.45

> >

> >

>

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > leezer99 wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > > CTgolf wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > > leezer99 wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 9 - 80+

> > >

> > > 10 - 85+

> > >

> > > 11 - 92+

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > With all due respect, this seems way off (inflated), unless by "upper range" you are referring to top 1% (basically a handful of players in the US).

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Top 10-25% of 11yo boys are not hitting their drives 240-245, nor are 10yo's or 9yo's consistently hitting it 220 or 200+, respectively.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > If you say so.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > How about this: how many boys do you know who can actually *consistently* drive the distances mentioned above? More than a few?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > A more reasonable discussion might revolve around what the *median* driving distance is among tournament golfers by age. I would guess it would look something like the following:

> > >

> > > Boys

> > >

> > > 9 - 145

> > >

> > > 10 - 160

> > >

> > > 11 - 175

> >

> > I teach a good number who hit it the yardages specified. I also teach and know kids out are big outliers way above those numbers

> >

> > Here’s a 10 year old the other day who swings mid 80s and isn’t big for his age. This was actually aight mishit with smash of only 1.45

> >

> >

>

> Not questioning your data, but surprised that the swing you posted is mid-80s. Looks like mid-70s to me.

>

You can’t tell speed from looking at video. Players that are efficient often swing way faster than most perceive.

This swing has ball speeds in the mid 180s and ost would never guess even close to that.

• Like 1

> @iteachgolf said:

>

> You can’t tell speed from looking at video. Players that are efficient often swing way faster than most perceive.

>

> This swing has ball speeds in the mid 180s and ost would never guess even close to that.

>

Yes sir! Years ago I was at Riviera when Ernie Els hit a drive into some rough with a tree up ahead that he had to go over if he wanted to reach the green. He took the 'easiest' swing I've ever seen and that ball came out like a god damn rocket, sailed over the tree and landed on the green from about 190 yards out.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• 3 years later...

Old topic I know, but relevant to me. My son is 12, he's been playing a couple years but started taking it seriously when he won the club championship in his age group. On a trackman yesterday, he was 88 with a driver. Is that good? he's had no instruction other than what his 8 HC has to give. Seems like he has potential as his improvement has been insanely rapid, but how far do good 12 year olds hit it? He's played one junior tournament so far, and he's longer than anyone else his age in that one

8 hours ago, Cut68 said:

Old topic I know, but relevant to me. My son is 12, he's been playing a couple years but started taking it seriously when he won the club championship in his age group. On a trackman yesterday, he was 88 with a driver. Is that good? he's had no instruction other than what his 8 HC has to give. Seems like he has potential as his improvement has been insanely rapid, but how far do good 12 year olds hit it? He's played one junior tournament so far, and he's longer than anyone else his age in that one

88 is a little bit above average.  The kids winning at 12 are going to be 95-105.

Swing-Speed-by-Age.png