Tennis elbow vs Golf elbow

The threads on the elbow conundrum we golfers get always has me curious....I've gone thru severe bouts of the golfer's elbow, and less severe of the tennis elbow.

Everybody has a tale on it here, but many forget to mention which arm for your swing. Me, only the lead, left arm. The big issue that gave me was also outside of golf - horrible reminder pain in daily tasks as a lefty who golfs righty.

I have never encountered it in my trail arm, but would bettter be able to cope with that, in my less dominant arm.

I found cure in many of the mentions here. Never have I played mats, so that was not my instigator. Had steel only in irons, tried Recoils Graphite to use mainly for range time - good call.

PT will work, but the take home self work using Theraband and a Tyler Twist is dope!

The best arm/elbow brace out there is also the least heat trapping - the BandIt.

My Final choice I feel was the best as I made a swing change from a tighter, restricted backswing where the elbow felt more strain at the top to a more open, bigger turn version that had less fulcrum tension on that elbow at the top - combined with a stronger grip.

Swing change is the toughest component to integrate but I feel that one did the most for me - hope one or all of those items help out your TE.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing right handed pain got so bad I switched to left hand golf, got it in the other elbow. Elbow bands and light weights(when not hurting). But the

best relief I found was when practicing on mats if my release is correct, effortless and free it does not cause the pain as it use to with my old

forced and/or steered release.

plenty of threads about Golfers Elbow which is caused by two things, impact and grip. Having suffered badly a couple of years ago there a couple of things that will help once it starts to get bad.

Rest is best - don't hit a ball for 2 weeks.

Do not hit of matts.

Use thicker grips.

Use graphite shafts,

If your job involves sitting at a desk, change your mouse to an Ergonomic mouse.

Rest is best - don't hit a ball for 2 weeks.

I just bought a theraband 2 weeks ago and have done the exercises religiously since I got it. No progress yet but I'm hoping for progress soon.

Be patient and do the exercises (3x15 reps per day) with good form. You will not feel better until the 4-week mark, at which point you will feel 80+% better. Improvement will come suddenly at that point. Then at the 6-week mark you will feel near 100%. I had a horrible case of tennis elbow years ago...I could barely do anything with my left arm. A month and a half of Theraband exercises (green) did the trick for me. I switched to graphite shafts as a precaution, and now I have zero pain and could hit 1000 balls off the worst mats you could find without feeling anything in my elbow.

Be patient with the Theraband, do the 3x15 reps per day, and do them with good form and you will be in great shape in 6 weeks.

This is the gospel. I had it pretty bad after hitting on mats this winter. In December I bought the green Theraband. It works. Enough said...I am also in the process of changing to graphite shafts.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

I don’t want to jinx anything, but I’ve been doing green theraband religiously for about 2 weeks and just started Drive 400 and am 3 days in on that. I played 18 holes yesterday and ballstriking was still not very good overall, but I realized at dinner that my elbow wasn’t hurting.

And I woke up this morning and it still doesn’t hurt...please oh please oh please tell me this God forsaken tennis elbow (right arm, lead arm) has passed me by!!!! (And no, I’m not quitting theraband...I’ll do it for 10 more weeks if I have to).

if you live in an area (like NYC) where most ranges are only mats, what do you do? just hit more driver, FW wood and long irons off the mats (driver obviously being teed up)?

Buy a launchpad from Fiberbilt and put it off the side of the mat to hit off of would be my recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiberbuilt-Flight-Deck-Golf-Hitting/dp/B06Y5NX641

is this the right one? see link above.

My elbow STILL HURTS.. been icing it a lot and doing suggested stretches that I found on Youtube.

Just using a mouse on my computer hurts.

I am in a Spring League that starts Wednesday and looks like I will have to find a sub the 1st week.

That really stinks!

If you're in pain at your desk at work I would consider cortisone injections. There are long-term risks that you should read up about, but there is a great chance you would get immediate relief. I 100% do not recommend cortisone shots if you are going to resume exactly what you are doing, but if you set some new patterns for yourself, like no hitting off of mats, switching to graphite shafts or putting sensicore inserts into your current clubs (a great inexpensive option), and STOPPING practice and/or play at the smallest sign of inflammation and pain, then it can be a viable option.

Sorry to hear about the league starting. Always a bummer to have to bench yourself.

if you live in an area (like NYC) where most ranges are only mats, what do you do? just hit more driver, FW wood and long irons off the mats (driver obviously being teed up)?

Buy a launchpad from Fiberbilt and put it off the side of the mat to hit off of would be my recommendation.

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B06Y5NX641

Yes..

THe bristles all stick up like a broom, so as opposed to the woven fibers mist mats are made of there is very little deceleration to the clubhead which means less eccentric load on your forearm wrist, elbow and shoulder.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Yes..

THe bristles all stick up like a broom, so as opposed to the woven fibers mist mats are made of there is very little deceleration to the clubhead which means less eccentric load on your forearm wrist, elbow and shoulder.

Nice find.

We have grass tee from our "members area" but the warm up tees for much closer to the first tee... going to start bring this with me and throwing it back in the car before I tee off... much better than not warming up which is what I'm prone to do at the moment.

My doctor at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC after I had major elbow surgery: "If you keep hitting off mats, you will continue to destroy your elbows, wrists, shoulders, and hands. DO NOT hit off of mats."

Yep, I have been hitting indoors on mats for many years .

This is probably the worst flare up I have ever experienced.

Yes, I agree, I need to cut down the repetition.

I probably swing around 200 swings nearly every day off a mat in my house.. yes I am bit of a maniac.

I think I need to change my habits.

Get this: http://www.theraband.com/products/rehab-therapy/hand-arm-therapy/theraband-flexbar-resistance-bar.html

Theta band is the best thing for this. It seems totally stupid but it fixed my golfers elbow

I had some pain develop with my left elbow a few years back. At the time I was going to the range twice and averaging 27 holes a week. Lucky for me, i was expecting my 3rd kid and when she came out that was a perfect excuse to get some rest in. I think i played no more than once a month the following year with no more elbow pain. In light of this i knew the next set of irons i would buy would have graphite shafts. I seeit as a preventive measure rather than something i needed right away due to medical issues. I

Yes..

This mat arrived late Wednesday evening and I took it out to the range yesterday. I found that if I put it on the concrete and then stood on the range's mat it was virtually level. I did experiment with trying to pull the handle and hit a few fat, and it does seem like you still get the "mat effect" of it going nearly full distance, but I don't know if there's really a way to build a supportive mat that acts like real turf in that sense.

I did feel that it is easier on my hands and wrists.

I'm actually going to experiment with going back to steel shafts in my irons with sensicore inserts as I'm finding I'm managing using less practice and less playing to keep the inflammation down.

• 3 months later...

I’ve now had TE for about 4 months after a winter of hitting off rubber mats at the range. I just installed a simulator at home so frustrated I can’t use it at the moment! Ive bought a true strike mat so I’m hoping that along with gradually building up session time, strengthening and conditioning exercises will help. Anyone else used truestrike?