Your Golf Stereotype

Twism86

Stereotype depends on age....my older folks say Quadraphonic stereo.

LOL I am old enough to know what Quadraphonic stereo or quad as we used to call it is :taunt:

my buddy's system was a Harmon Kardon. I remember when we hooked it up and played the setup record.

'this is speaker one, this is speaker two, this is speaker three......'

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 2 weeks later...

Normally I am the youngster in any group I get in and I am 60.

That being said, ready golf is the key for any round. Honors, yeah they are nice but not worth slowing down the round.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

Have an anxiety attack when my caddie bangs my headcover-less putter around with the other clubs he is carrying. It is not a 6 year old model in mint condition accidentally buddy!

I'm the same way with woods - full panic mode when a caddie is grabbing the pin in one hand with 2 headcover-less drivers and a couple wedges or putters in the other trying to clumsily exchange them with me or the guy I'm playing with. I'd rather take the cover off myself than risk a giant mark on it.

• 2 months later...

A few things to describe me:

1. I take my golf seriously. No drinking. I’m ok with talking but let’s also get to the point and play already

2. I’m “fast-ish”...I’m always ready to play my shot, but I do have my routine quirks and like to enjoy my time out there. I’m quick to pull the trigger on my shot though...probably too quick.

3. I’m the biggest self-critic that ever walked the face of the earth. After any bad shots I will be quietly muttering to myself the most vile and damning insults about my intelligence, golf game, intestinal fortitude, sexual orientation, etc etc. It’s not a good thing and I wish I could stop, but it is who I am and I have to try to deal with it as best I can.

4. I’m way too analytical. I am an analyst by trade, so it is also who I am. Every result has some deeper meaning, every good swing has some reason, every bad swing too...and I’m constantly trying to figure it out. It has the possibility of being a good thing, but hasn’t manifested that way for me yet. It causes me to change swings practically every time I hit a bad shot. I can’t shut it off, but I at least don’t let it paralyze my decision making.

5. I’m very knowledgeable about all things golf...history, equipment, players, courses, swing theories, etc etc. People don’t often want to hear much of it, so I kinda have to keep it to myself and just smile knowingly when they start spouting off about some golf topic.

The Lone Ranger- I hit 2 big buckets in a practice session about 3 days a week, and a large bucket to warm up before i play> lately, my on course play is showing great improvement, so I have been playing more than practicing. I guess all that practice is paying off

Be careful as soon as you think all the practice is paying off and you start playing more instead of practicing the game slips again and its hard to figure out why.

Happens to me at the end of every summer. I stop practicing and just play and my golf game slips back down to where I was at the end of the year before after all of my "improvement" earlier in the year lol

Seems like almost everybody on here has the problems with slow play.

I don't have much patience either for the people in front of me who take 5 practice swings on every shot and putt just to duff it or miss 3 feet wide right on a putt. Especially when you are trying to get in a twilight round after work and play as much as possible and get stuck behind the people who are ok with golfing 6 holes from 5pm-dark

I have a lot of patience when it comes to outbursts on the course but my patience wears thin towards the end of the year

Can't stop trying to tinker with my swing. I find something that works for 2 weeks and then is seemingly gone and on to the next thing. Have to stop and just go with the flow maybe it would make me a better golfer

I cannot hit, chip, putt, or play without polo/slacks/shorts/golf shoes/etc. I have to be in my golf uniform if I'm going to the course. Got golf etiquette drilled in during the junior programs and tournaments and it dies hard. Even when I'd go to Putt-Putt or whatever because some friends wanted to knock around balls at 10:30 on a Friday night I would show up in full kit.

I could let the shoe bit slide if absolutely all I'm doing is putting and chipping around for a few, but if I'm having a real session I have to be suited up. Friends, others out practicing, and randos I get paired with can wear whatever the course allows if there's leeway, but I can't do it halfway, hah. I guess the thing for me is that I always have fun out there, but I'm also always serious about it.

Also, I'm definitely "the fixture" at one of my local courses where I practice. If I come in to get balls the guys in the shop pretty much have them ready before I get up there. It's not unusual for them to head out at the end of the evening knowing I'm hitting until the very last light fades or even practicing full swing or short game under the lights during fall/ winter. None of them are ever surprised to see me and people I've never talked to or noticed regularly end up commenting about how they thought they'd probably see me that day. I guess I'm addicted and I love it.

I’m the guy that has finally accepted the fact that he is a bogey golfer. Go out to have a good time with good friends. Play good, shoot 88. Play bad shoot 92. As we’ve aged most of my gang are the same, we all used to be single digit. Still competitive though. Play ready golf, might have a beer or two, seldom spend 30 seconds looking for a ball. Golf course is my happy place. Peaceful Easy Feeling

• 2 weeks later...

Is lack of a stereotype a stereotype?

I’m a pretty “blah” person. About as ordinary as you can get. I seriously doubt that after playing a round with someone they’ll really be able to remember much. I’m very polite, but won’t talk much, nothing special game or attire wise. I won’t make your round memorable, for anything good or bad.

> @PedronNiall said:

> I cannot hit, chip, putt, or play without polo/slacks/shorts/golf shoes/etc. I have to be in my golf uniform if I'm going to the course. Got golf etiquette drilled in during the junior programs and tournaments and it dies hard. Even when I'd go to Putt-Putt or whatever because some friends wanted to knock around balls at 10:30 on a Friday night I would show up in full kit.

>

>

>

> I could let the shoe bit slide if absolutely all I'm doing is putting and chipping around for a few, but if I'm having a real session I have to be suited up. Friends, others out practicing, and randos I get paired with can wear whatever the course allows if there's leeway, but I can't do it halfway, hah. I guess the thing for me is that I always have fun out there, but I'm also always serious about it.

>

>

>

> Also, I'm definitely "the fixture" at one of my local courses where I practice. If I come in to get balls the guys in the shop pretty much have them ready before I get up there. It's not unusual for them to head out at the end of the evening knowing I'm hitting until the very last light fades or even practicing full swing or short game under the lights during fall/ winter. None of them are ever surprised to see me and people I've never talked to or noticed regularly end up commenting about how they thought they'd probably see me that day. I guess I'm addicted and I love it.

I think we may be twins haha. I won't even go to the local driving range with the car in the middle of it without putting the full outfit on.

I'm also "never satisfied"... Always something in my game I'm tinkering with on my never-ending quest to having a solid game.

I'm the tinkerer for sure... I'm always trying different equipment in search of that holy grail set, knowing d*mn well I'll probably still replace it even if I do find that set :D

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

rh72c29c90c3.png

enough said..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I'm the guy who always plays below his standards, always thinking and often saying out loud that I'm way better than this and cannot understand why this now six years long slump never ends.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Hmmm, my stereotype would be the self-critical perfectionist, verbal-outbursting nutjob kind of golfer. Mostly I get range rage but also on the course I call myself things I would never lay upon another human being...ever. If I'm really steaming I'll fall back behind everybody walking to their second shot and mutter away that I'm a POS and the dumbest human being on the earth, etc, etc. Everyone I've ever played with has surely heard me mutter "stupid f'n arm swing...f***!!!"

And since this is an anonymous online forum I'll give you the complete grisly details - nowadays, because I can't unleash a huge verbal tirade (which would feel great and put an end to the rage instantly), things have gotten physical. It began with a couple open hand whacks to the side of the head but has now grown into something severely f'd up.

Driver face to the upper forehead leading to blood dripping down my face while I continue to hit balls? Check

Closed fist to the right side of my head, leading to lump forming above my temple? Check

Multiple, fierce and rapidly delivered open hand slaps to the face (always right side) leading to swollen eyebrow region? Check

I used to break equipment like crazy but now I just break my face to keep the costs down. :p

I've made a point to calm the F down recently...well, like this last couple weeks at least. The fact that I do this when there's other people around is truly shocking. If there's someone swinging next to me then I'm relatively good and calm but if they're like 4 or 5 stalls away, it's frickin on with the self harm.

I'll be the first golfer diagnosed with CTE from suffering too many blows to the head in practice. And definitely the last!!

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> Hmmm, my stereotype would be the self-critical perfectionist, verbal-outbursting nutjob kind of golfer. Mostly I get range rage but also on the course I call myself things I would never lay upon another human being...ever. If I'm really steaming I'll fall back behind everybody walking to their second shot and mutter away that I'm a POS and the dumbest human being on the earth, etc, etc. Everyone I've ever played with has surely heard me mutter "stupid f'n arm swing...f***!!!"

>

> And since this is an anonymous online forum I'll give you the complete grisly details - nowadays, because I can't unleash a huge verbal tirade (which would feel great and put an end to the rage instantly), things have gotten physical. It began with a couple open hand whacks to the side of the head but has now grown into something severely f'd up.

> Driver face to the upper forehead leading to blood dripping down my face while I continue to hit balls? Check

> Closed fist to the right side of my head, leading to lump forming above my temple? Check

> Multiple, fierce and rapidly delivered open hand slaps to the face (always right side) leading to swollen eyebrow region? Check

> I used to break equipment like crazy but now I just break my face to keep the costs down. :p

>

> I've made a point to calm the F down recently...well, like this last couple weeks at least. The fact that I do this when there's other people around is truly shocking. If there's someone swinging next to me then I'm relatively good and calm but if they're like 4 or 5 stalls away, it's frickin on with the self harm.

>

> I'll be the first golfer diagnosed with CTE from suffering too many blows to the head in practice. And definitely the last!!

>

>

If this is actually true it's no laughing matter. Speechless

You don't need a psychiatrist u need a team of psychiatrists.

• 4 weeks later...

> @monty09 said:

> bad drive, bad iron, good chip, study par putt for 4 minutes.. make or miss par putt... tap in for bogey and move on laughing...

>

> have a blast and shoot a 84 or 90... pretty looks and feels the same

>

> is happy go lucky a stereotype?

This is almost me to a "tee: ;)

My summary, with some stats directly from GHIN:

Ugly driver trajectory (low pull fade), but ball makes it out there 220-250 and in the fairway 55% of the time

Decent iron shot (low trajectory, the longer the club, the more fade-y), average 6.2 GIRs/rd, misses mostly short right

Great chip a good majority of the time

Grind on the first putt for a minute, make it 33.7% of the time, average 30.6 putts/rd

Average score 81.08, with a range from 75-91

All the while, I'm thrilled to be on the course.

> @asofine said:

> > @monty09 said:

> > bad drive, bad iron, good chip, study par putt for 4 minutes.. make or miss par putt... tap in for bogey and move on laughing...

> >

> > have a blast and shoot a 84 or 90... pretty looks and feels the same

> >

> > is happy go lucky a stereotype?

>

> This is almost me to a "tee: ;)

>

> My summary, with some stats directly from GHIN:

> Ugly driver trajectory (low pull fade), but ball makes it out there 220-250 and in the fairway 55% of the time

> Decent iron shot (low trajectory, the longer the club, the more fade-y), average 6.2 GIRs/rd, misses mostly short right

> Great chip a good majority of the time

> Grind on the first putt for a minute, make it 33.7% of the time, average 30.6 putts/rd

> Average score 81.08, with a range from 75-91

>

> All the while, I'm thrilled to be on the course.

yup. agree 100%

My stereotype would be made up of:

1. Always about 1 hour early to warm up

2. Mr. Strategic on the course - hmm 6 iron off tee will leave me with a wedge but I must hit to the left to give myself a good angle in... lol

3. No alcohol when playing

4. MUST CLEAN CLUB AFTER I TAKE MY SHOT...DIRTY CLUBS ARE A BIG NO NO IN MY BAG LOL.

5. Hate slow play for sure haha

> @asofine said:

> > @monty09 said:

> > bad drive, bad iron, good chip, study par putt for 4 minutes.. make or miss par putt... tap in for bogey and move on laughing...

> >

> > have a blast and shoot a 84 or 90... pretty looks and feels the same

> >

> > is happy go lucky a stereotype?

>

> This is almost me to a "tee: ;)

>

> My summary, with some stats directly from GHIN:

> Ugly driver trajectory (low pull fade), but ball makes it out there 220-250 and in the fairway 55% of the time

> Decent iron shot (low trajectory, the longer the club, the more fade-y), average 6.2 GIRs/rd, misses mostly short right

> Great chip a good majority of the time

> Grind on the first putt for a minute, make it 33.7% of the time, average 30.6 putts/rd

> Average score 81.08, with a range from 75-91

>

> All the while, I'm thrilled to be on the course.

How do you enter stats on GHIN? I can't add anything but scores on the app.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

Easy going, golf geek off the course, feel player on the course.

Pretty much get along with most everyone I play with. I don't care what your skill level is, who you are or what you dress like. On course music? No problem. 75% of my rounds are me playing as a single paired with complete strangers. We're outside, in a beautiful setting, having fun challenging ourselves. What's not to like? I really don't even get bothered by slow play, even though I play relatively fast. About my only pet peeve is somebody who can't let it go after the first couple of curse words (I love a well-timed f-bomb) and just plays angry the whole round.

Away from the course I'm a bit of a golf geek. I like stats, equipment chat, forums, golf on TV... everything. I'm an engineer by training and profession, so soaking all that stuff up is part of the gig.

In contrast, I play mostly by feel. Maybe I'm so analytical in my work life that I want to turn that part of my brain off during my sports activities. I don't have many swing thoughts once the round starts. I don't worry about clubs and am anything but analytical when playing. I don't even add up my score until the end of the round.