2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Early extension (Goat Humping)

This may not make sense, but it could be a sequencing issue. That is your hips have turned pretty much their full amount before the club reaches halfway back...right knee is stiffening a bit and I would make a guess that your hips are sort of reverse pivoting (from a face on angle anyway). So your lower body outraces your upper body going back so there is really nowhere for your hips to go coming down so yo have to stand up. I would tell you to let the hips turn when they MUST going back and see if it is easier to sequence your downswing...with the feeling there of the exact opposite, but works back feeling and chest is over the ball more. as they say here, just my $.02.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're goat humping because during your transition to the downswing, you are shifting your weight towards your toes on your left foot. Instead, try shifting your weight and apply more pressure on your heels on your left foot. This will also prevent you from blocking, and will leave more room for your hands to come inside. Try that out and let me know how that works!

It could be a lack of flexibility. I struggle with the same thing. However, what may help is if you bend from the hips properly with a straight back (as opposed to a rounded back) the upper body and lower body move independently better which increases separation of the upper and lower body and help the goat humping.

You're goat humping because during your transition to the downswing, you are shifting your weight towards your toes on your left foot. Instead, try shifting your weight and apply more pressure on your heels on your left foot. This will also prevent you from blocking, and will leave more room for your hands to come inside. Try that out and let me know how that works!

The feeling of shifting to left heel is correct but doing it during the downswing is not. What fixed my EE is "re-centering" at the top of the backswing. Which means getting the weight on the left heel at the top of the back swing so that I can just rotate on the downswing. It works. Check out this video.

The feeling of shifting to left heel is correct but doing it during the downswing is not. What fixed my EE is "re-centering" at the top of the backswing. Which means getting the weight on the left heel at the top of the back swing so that I can just rotate on the downswing. It works. Check out this video.

Right! Maybe I didn't explain it well, but that's what I meant when I said "during your transition to the downswing." I didn't mean to say shift weight to the left heel DURING the downswing, rather, shift the weight a split second before you reach the top of your backswing.

Shifting pressure in transition/shaft vertical downswing can certainly go to the toe but then works it's way to mid-foot or heel in the rest of the downswing.

Different pressure patterns exist that have been found to support but not necessary cause fade/draw shots.

Faders have been found to go trail toe to lead heel and draws trail heel to lead toe (or linear). Then there is the z-trace which is seen in long drivers like Thomas, Bubba, Lexi, Matt Wolff - they have so much vertical force generated by shaft vertical in downswing and "jump" thru impact and will be on their toes at impact with pressure going back to the trail foot versus lead for a brief period of time - it's a relative measure and they unweight their lead foot thru impact.

Boditrak and Swing Catalyst have a lot of information/articles on pressure and vertical force on their sites.

Keeping pressure on the lead toe (or both toes) certainly is an issue but going to the lead toe in transition is not necessarily an issue.

Shasho article from boditrak https://boditrakperformance.com/analyze-pressure-trace-dr-sasho-mackenzie/

And Shasho has another article discussing how imbalances in foot pressure/force can lead to EE - greater trail foot force than lead foot.

And Scott Hamilton has a nice video on it. A pool noodle is a great training aid.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

This definitely works.

You can also try out the GG pivot where you don't shift pressure forward immediately and you're able to get more ground pressure in both legs by torquing the ground for more power.

This definitely works.

You can also try out the GG pivot where you don't shift pressure forward immediately and you're able to get more ground pressure in both legs by torquing the ground for more power.

Yeah, I worked on that last night at the range. Feeling like I'm almost squatting down and rotating hard af. When i did it correctly I could visually tell the ball was going further.

This definitely works.

How do horizontal forces, torquing , lead to more pressure?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

I went for a lesson on Monday night with these exact problems - for me it was all about my left (lead) knee. During the backswing it really collapses toward the middle of my stance which allows my hips and then shoulders to overswing massively - from that backswing position with the left knee in the middle of the stance it is really tricky to get to the ball properly. I was instructed to feel my left knee staying more on top of my left foot i.e not collapsing to the right. it transformed my backswing, and then when working chest rotation in the downswing my goat humping completely disappeared.

This definitely works.

You can see some of the long drive guys with lots of pressure shifts in one swing:

Jaime Sadlowski: lead leg numbers:

p1 56 (maxes out at 74-trigger move),

p2 19

p3 12

p4 79-92

p5 74

p6 45

p7 18

p8 34

p9 81

That's 5 pressure shift changes during his swing!

You can get pressure forward with lead side pelvis low instead of actively pushing pressure forward.

If you actively push pressure forward as quickly as possible you’ll lose some torque and verticals and you'll be more likely to stand the shaft up in transition all while losing speed coming into impact.

I gained way more distance with the Gankas pivot because I'm unloading just moments before impact instead of losing speed coming into impact.

If pressure is displaced between both legs, you technically have more ground pressure and two major muscles to push off of.

It's interesting to see new ways of getting it done. Pressure forward immediately is what the top pros have done forever, but that doesn't mean it's the most optimal route for speed. Also it's an unoriginal take on the swing.

This definitely works.

You can see some of the long drive guys with lots of pressure shifts in one swing:

Jaime Sadlowski: lead leg numbers:

p1 56 (maxes out at 74-trigger move),

p2 19

p3 12

p4 79-92

p5 74

p6 45

p7 18

p8 34

p9 81

That's 5 pressure shift changes during his swing!

You can get pressure forward with lead side pelvis low instead of actively pushing pressure forward.

If you actively push pressure forward as quickly as possible you’ll lose some torque and verticals and you'll be more likely to stand the shaft up in transition all while losing speed coming into impact.

I gained way more distance with the Gankas pivot because I'm unloading just moments before impact instead of losing speed coming into impact.

If pressure is displaced between both legs, you technically have more ground pressure and two major muscles to push off of.

It's interesting to see new ways of getting it done. Pressure forward immediately is what the top pros have done forever, but that doesn't mean it's the most optimal route for speed. Also it's an unoriginal take on the swing.

You never addressed my question. Ground pressure is increased by applying a vertical force not horizontal (torquing). You don't get more pressure by having it displaced between both legs - make little sense.

Gankas people get their pressure forward early too - that create a ball is the beginning of the lateral movement - Wolff has been measured by swing catalyst force plates as having 284% of his body weight on his lead leg by shaft vertical (highest they have so far recorded), ie between p5-p6 - you don't get there by shifting late.

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

Torquing is a vertical force: rotating into the ground.

It's not about not getting pressure forward, it's about when.

Check this out: https://www.instagra.../p/BpfFEHRgf70/

Nope torquing is not a vertical force inground pressure.

https://www.swingcat...-reaction-force

When is early

https://boditrakperf...-the-downswing/

https://www.swingcat...rry-distance-or

Thanks for this, I'll read it.

Why is it that I hit much further with the GG pivot instead of what the article is implying?

Why is it that coaches who advocate for bumps and surfs, their players aren't more opened up at impact nor are they as shallow in transition?

When is early

Why is it that I hit much further with the GG pivot instead of what the article is implying?

Why is it that coaches who advocate for bumps and surfs, their players aren't opened up at impact nor are they as shallow in transition?

How do you know you have the GG pivot - and what definitively defines it. Wolff has a large lateral move that Wayne d showed. He starts with his hips shifted targetward at setup.

Which coaches are these?

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

When is early

Why is it that coaches who advocate for bumps and surfs, their players aren't opened up at impact nor are they as shallow in transition?

How do you know you have the GG pivot - and what definitively defines it. Wolff has a large lateral move that Wayne d showed. He start with his his shiftedtargetward at setup.

Which coaches are these?

Getting around first with pressure displaced between both legs and then pushing off the back side into the front going into impact versus shifting pressure as fast as possible and rotating off the lead leg.

It's really getting to the same place, just taking a different route.

But IMO the Gankas matchup helps in acquiring more rotation.

GG also talks about posture at setup. You backside should be underneath of you and it should stay there until transition. At transition you should push back and rotate.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

When is early

How do you know you have the GG pivot - and what definitively defines it. Wolff has a large lateral move that Wayne d showed. He start with his his shiftedtargetward at setup.

Which coaches are these?

Getting around first with pressure displaced between both legs and then pushing off the back side into the front going into impact versus shifting pressure as fast as possible and rotating off the lead leg.

It's really getting to the same place, just taking a different route.

But IMO the Gankas matchup helps in acquiring more rotation.

Shifting as fast as possible can cause issues - it’s shifting by p5 not as early as possible. To state the obvious, lots of ways each with their own set of issues and positives.

Btw Sadlowski has the look of the z- trace where his lead foot gets unweighted by impact like Thomas, bubba, etc. but the numbers you provided show he is getting pressure forward early and I imagine creating tremendous vertical forces by shaft vertical.

Rotation to me is not the critical factor. Folks get rotated - it’s generating vertical force thru the lead leg. The squat and jump. Really noticeable on driver and toned down with irons and especially wedges.

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

EE and raising the handle are closely related. I find when I focus on returning the handle at impact to the same place it started at address, it's more difficult to EE. Stick an alignment rod in the ground pointed at you just above and parallel to your shaft plane. Keep the handle under it thru impact.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

Hello Everyone,

I have an updated video here:

I managed to take off around 10* of forward bend (closer to 39/40* rather than original 50*), hopefully this is enough as it felt like i was standing pretty upright.

It seems my left knee is drifting towards the right so I imagine that's not doing me any favors.

Reading through this post is pretty overwhelming, lots of information to digest.

On the plus side, the wrist pain seems to have subsided.

It still looks like you are early extending and goat humping. Have you tried shifting your weight to your heel on your left foot as you transition to the downswing? I found this video...maybe it will help!

This video is very helpful. The pressure mat plus the girl golfer who had EE definitely helped visualize the issue. Now to put it in practice....

Thanks!

This video is very helpful. The pressure mat plus the girl golfer who had EE definitely helped visualize the issue. Now to put it in practice....

Thanks!

Let me know if it works! Show me a video of the result! Also, I was struggling with EE and goat humping for years. Putting the pressure on your heels might result in your hands coming in the slot feel a little foreign (at first), but just keep finding something that feels comfortable until you see the result you like.

I hope this works out for you!

Honestly goat humping isn't something that you fix with one thing. The whole way you used to think of executing a golf swing has to change. Like it wasn't even close to the right way. Just remember to keep taking videos of yourself and start small (half swings etc) and emulate the positions you are trying to hit. It's also very easy to be fine in half swings and go back to goat humping on full swings because you haven't grasped fully how to apply force without goat humping.

There's only one line that you should be concerned about, and that's when you rotating through impact, your left hip should be at the line when your right hip was at the top of the back swing. There are many drills that help you achieve that. It sure feels odd at first and takes time to get used to without feeling like you are falling backwards.

I've found it helpful to rehearse the swing in slow mo against a wall, where you feel your right hip hit the wall at top of back swing and then left hip hitting the wall as you rotate through the swing. Also helps when you put a club diagonally between your feet, and you imagine your hips meeting that line at impact.

Of course there are many more nuances to the swing that you will be like ah! I need to change those too so I'm not hitting snap hooks or push fades with this new move. And believe me it's a long long journey lol.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Thanks!

Let me know if it works! Show me a video of the result! Also, I was struggling with EE and goat humping for years. Putting the pressure on your heels might result in your hands coming in the slot feel a little foreign (at first), but just keep finding something that feels comfortable until you see the result you like.

I hope this works out for you!

I tried to do this last night at the range, unfortunately when I was doing what felt like the squatting motion during the downswing I was consistently hitting the mat before the ball. Then when I was finally making good contact, I was back to my old swing with EE just less hip depth.

I think I need drills more specific to rotating on the downswing. My guess is (I should've taken video here and didn't) on the squatting shots where I was hitting mat/ball I was stalling the hips so when I did extend it could only hit behind the ball.

I've signed up for a lesson on Wednesday night so hopefully the pro at the range can watch and provide some feedback too.

Honestly goat humping isn't something that you fix with one thing. The whole way you used to think of executing a golf swing has to change. Like it wasn't even close to the right way. Just remember to keep taking videos of yourself and start small (half swings etc) and emulate the positions you are trying to hit. It's also very easy to be fine in half swings and go back to goat humping on full swings because you haven't grasped fully how to apply force without goat humping.

There's only one line that you should be concerned about, and that's when you rotating through impact, your left hip should be at the line when your right hip was at the top of the back swing. There are many drills that help you achieve that. It sure feels odd at first and takes time to get used to without feeling like you are falling backwards.

I've found it helpful to rehearse the swing in slow mo against a wall, where you feel your right hip hit the wall at top of back swing and then left hip hitting the wall as you rotate through the swing. Also helps when you put a club diagonally between your feet, and you imagine your hips meeting that line at impact.

Of course there are many more nuances to the swing that you will be like ah! I need to change those too so I'm not hitting snap hooks or push fades with this new move. And believe me it's a long long journey lol.

"Like it wasn't even close to the right way." -> I appreciate the honesty lmao.

I was doing the half swing last night to try to generate the feeling, and I was hitting fairly solid. My guess is I'll just need to record every shot and see if it was correct or not.

"your left hip should be at the line when your right hip was at the top of the back swing." -> This is interesting, I guess I never noticed that in swings where they do it properly.

I will try the wall drill you suggested later tonight, I haven't tried it since I started using less forward bend in my swing.

Thanks!

the arms shallow but the shaft is still steep. if you didn't stand up you'd stick it in the ground before the ball. i'm not an expert, but on the takeaway looks like you fan the face open. keep the face looking at the ball longer, and get the face more square to slightly closed on downswing. you can then just rotate through without the need to use hands to flip the club shut

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

the arms shallow but the shaft is still steep. if you didn't stand up you'd stick it in the ground before the ball. i'm not an expert, but on the takeaway looks like you fan the face open. keep the face looking at the ball longer, and get the face more square to slightly closed on downswing. you can then just rotate through without the need to use hands to flip the club shut

I was looking at my swing last night and noticed that on the backswing the club face is almost vertical when the shaft is parallel to the ground. I've seen conflicting views on this in all the youtube tutorials I've watched, but I don't think it would hurt to try to experiment with having the club face match the spine angle (more closed) when the shaft is parallel.

Thanks!