An observation on shorts on the PGA Tour

dalehead

i attended the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational yesterday and one of the first things I saw was two players walking together down the ninth fairway, both wearing long pants of course. And it struck me that this was a statement that this round of golf was different from your typical round with your Saturday foursome. This was serious business. Me and thousands of others, almost all wearing shorts, were there to have a good time and drink a few beers. They were in the middle of a competitive round played by professionals with not only prize money at stake but in some cases career, future, and family security as well. Tour golf is different. It is a serious business conducted by professionals and they should continue to look like professionals.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need for shorts anyway with today’s fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn’t a protected rain forest.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think they look sloppy without wearing a tie. But of course Justin Thomas looked like a fool when he did wear a tie, so now I'm thinking they should wear bowties. I'm totally gonna hate the guy that wears a bowtie though.

I honestly could not care less if they wore shorts in tournaments, as long as it's up to the players to choose if they wear them or not.

Wonder what would happen if someone showed up for an early Thursday morning tee time on the PGA Tour wearing shorts. Would the starter not let him tee it up? Would they disqualify him after his round? Or maybe it would be more like the time limits you have to hit your shot, they wouldn't be happy about it and maybe give them a warning, but nothing would actually happen?

I think they look sloppy without wearing a tie. But of course Justin Thomas looked like a fool when he did wear a tie, so now I'm thinking they should wear bowties. I'm totally gonna hate the guy that wears a bowtie though.

I honestly could not care less if they wore shorts in tournaments, as long as it's up to the players to choose if they wear them or not.

Wonder what would happen if someone showed up for an early Thursday morning tee time on the PGA Tour wearing shorts. Would the starter not let him tee it up? Would they disqualify him after his round? Or maybe it would be more like the time limits you have to hit your shot, they wouldn't be happy about it and maybe give them a warning, but nothing would actually happen?

I had a dress code from 6th-12th grade...jacket and either turtleneck or tie. No jeans, no sneakers.

I got sent home to change numerous times (you would think I would have learned!)...Subway in NYC in the late 70s/early 80s was not the most pleasant place to be...nor were some of the streets!

i attended the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational yesterday and one of the first things I saw was two players walking together down the ninth fairway, both wearing long pants of course. And it struck me that this was a statement that this round of golf was different from your typical round with your Saturday foursome. This was serious business. Me and thousands of others, almost all wearing shorts, were there to have a good time and drink a few beers. They were in the middle of a competitive round played by professionals with not only prize money at stake but in some cases career, future, and family security as well. Tour golf is different. It is a serious business conducted by professionals and they should continue to look like professionals.

I am with you. The world has become too casual, not only in our attire but our attitudes as well.

I had a dress code from 6th-12th grade...jacket and either turtleneck or tie. No jeans, no sneakers.

I got sent home to change numerous times (you would think I would have learned!)...Subway in NYC in the late 70s/early 80s was not the most pleasant place to be...nor were some of the streets!

Yeah I probably couldn’t have handled a dress code in my youth either. But now when I have three young kids, I can kind of see the merit of it.

They are required to have tucked in shirts on tour too, right? I’ve seen Rickie a couple times now with an untucked shirt. I think Phil should try wearing shorts this week, as an experiment. He’s already there but doesn’t really want to play. Perfect opportunity!

I don’t really care one way or the other, but my prediction is that people will slowly get used to seeing pros in shorts now and in a few years the European Tour will let them wear them in competition and the PGA Tour will follow a year or two later.

I thought it's shorts in practice rounds only? I do think pants look more professional, but... the women are allowed to wear "non pants" at LPGA events, and all this talk of "gender equality" floating around has me thinking, why not men?

Why aren't we all blessed by Phil's glorious calves on a regular basis? Why must pants hide those beauties???

No need for shorts anyway with today's fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn't a protected rain forest.

So planning a trip to Seapines (Harbour Town) in late June .. crazy or not?

Guessing I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks "unprofessional" to see a Tour pro practicing or competing in shorts. It looks "different" because it's new, but over time I don't think it will be as noticeable, even in competition rounds. To me, it's not the same as an attorney/financial advisor/wall street guy wearing shorts to the office. These guys are playing an outdoor sport, not sitting in a board room or office all day.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Guessing I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks "unprofessional" to see a Tour pro practicing or competing in shorts. It looks "different" because it's new, but over time I don't think it will be as noticeable, even in competition rounds. To me, it's not the same as an attorney/financial advisor/wall street guy wearing shorts to the office. These guys are playing an outdoor sport, not sitting in a board room or office all day.

Dress well, and they notice the person.

Dress poorly and they notice the shorts and caffeinated attitude.

No need for shorts anyway with today's fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn't a protected rain forest.

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it’s cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It’s 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That’s all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it’s really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don’t go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Bingo. I drill this into my 10 year olds head. Nobody ever missed a job offer for being over dressed. But millions for looking like bums.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it's cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It's 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That's all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it's really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don't go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

I'm with you on the barefoot and flip flops. I can do without the sight of yellowed toe nails, ganglion cysts and dry heels.

And those who choose to sweat pants in public - you are telling the world, "I've given up."

Agreed 100%.

There are lots of ways to wear modern-cut, traditionally styled golf shorts that look miles better (and more professional) than the ill-fitting pants some of these guys trot out each week on Tour.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it's cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It's 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That's all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it's really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don't go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

I'm with you on the barefoot and flip flops. I can do without the sight of yellowed toe nails, ganglion cysts and dry heels.

But those are my good qualities.

And those who choose to sweat pants in public - you are telling the world, "I've given up."

Flip Flops, sandals.. Guys.. ENOUGH ALREADY.

Bingo. They actually have “ wear pajamas to school day. “. For middle school age kids. Wtf ? Are we just saying “ be as lazy as you can. Don’t even bother to get dressed today “.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agreed 100%.

There are lots of ways to wear modern-cut, traditionally styled golf shorts that look miles better (and more professional) than the ill-fitting pants some of these guys trot out each week on Tour.

The same guys who wear ugly ill fitting slacks.........will wear ugly ill fitting shorts

i'm sure bobby jones or harry vardon would think these guys are dressed like hobos .. its all relative folks .. spikeless sneakers have made there way onto the hallowed grounds of the professional game .. gotta evolve or die

in what other "sport" do the professionals wear pants ...... cricket .. polo? .. soooo .. there's that