We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

17th Hole Bay Hill

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2165WRX Points: 660Members Posts: 2,165

Some people can birdie it

[media=]

-Chris

Thats not Bay Hill
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 11964WRX Points: 1,095Members Posts: 11,964

220 yard par 3 17th you say?

71st hole of a tournament you say?

[media=]

[media=]
    i missed the golf yesterday but based on the op it sounds like the pin was inaccessible to the length of the shot. Not the case on 17 at Pebble in your videos.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C  1551WRX Points: 960ClubWRX Posts: 1,551

[media=]

-Chris

Thats not Bay Hill

Haha oops

Let me try again

-Chris
    Posted:
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2165WRX Points: 660Members Posts: 2,165

[media=]

-Chris

Thats not Bay Hill

Haha oops

Let me try again

[media=]

-Chris

That is also not Bay Hill lol
    Posted:
  • pheenomz4774pheenomz4774  951WRX Points: 172Members Posts: 951
    toc wrote:

If molinari was in the last group with a one shot lead coming into 17th we'd all be praising what a great hole it is not allowing a leader to coast to a win.

Exactly this. 16 is the great birdie/eagle opportunity followed by two potential blowup holes. This creates a great amount of leaderboard volatility amongst the final groups, just so happens that Molinari wrapped up this puppy before any of the groups got there.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 9° Diamana Blueboard 60s
    Fairway: Ping G410 14.5° Tensei Orange 70s
    Hybrids: Ping G410 19° and 22° Tensei Blue 80s
    Irons: Ping iBlade 5-9 (power spec)/PW Modus 120s
    Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 52°SS, 56°WS, 60°TS 
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Ball: Still searching
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C  1551WRX Points: 960ClubWRX Posts: 1,551

Thats not Bay Hill

Haha oops

Let me try again

[media=]

-Chris

Ok, one more try

-Chris
    Posted:

Advertisement

Thats not Bay Hill

Haha oops

Let me try again

[media=]

-Chris

Ok, one more try

[media=]

-Chris

Thats the US Open...so....also not Bay Hill
    Posted:
  • the bishopthe bishop  3597WRX Points: 499Members Posts: 3,597

He was closer the first time! (geographically speaking)
    Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*
    W/S C300 Forged 4-P
    W/S PMP 50/54/58
    W/S Infinite Windy City

Thats not Bay Hill

Ok, one more try

[media=]

-Chris

Ok, here it is

-Chris
    Posted:
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends...  446WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 446
    Long par 3s are generally a snooze fest.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 
    Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • dukemandukeman  884WRX Points: 97Members Posts: 884
    There’s a big difference between a green that repels poorly struck or offline shots (Augusta National) and one that repels all shots (US Open Shinnecock). My personal thought is that of the best players in the world the ones playing the best that week ought to be able to hit a solid shot to the green and hold it. Maybe not suck it back 20 feet but at least hold it.

The 17th at Bay Hill was playing a little too close to Shinnecock for my tastes....almost no way to play at the pin and hold the green. There’s also no slope on the green so there’s no way to play left and use the ground to move the ball to the hole. There’s just no way for a great player to hit a great shot. Even Molinaris Shot landed on the front of the green and bounced all the way over the back.

In contrast, consider the right pin position on the 17th at TPC Sawgrass. A lot of balls hit at the pin will bounce into the water. Others will miss the green entirely. A smart player who hits the ball solidly and with the right spin and shape, however, can play safely left of the pin but use spin and the slope to get the ball close.

If great players can’t hit great shots, what’s the point?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28950WRX Points: 5,442Members Posts: 28,950

Thats not Bay Hill

Ok, one more try

[media=]

-Chris

Ok, here it is

-Chris

That’s pro level trolling motor work !! Lol. Well played good sir !
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14805WRX Points: 730ClubWRX Posts: 14,805
    the bishop wrote:

What course makes the 17th hole a par 3 anyway? Oh wait....most of them. Nothing says they've got to be easy.

Just thinking back through my three main courses, all of them have a par three on 17.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • tideridertiderider  2569WRX Points: 1,592Members Posts: 2,569
    dukeman wrote:

There's a big difference between a green that repels poorly struck or offline shots (Augusta National) and one that repels all shots (US Open Shinnecock). My personal thought is that of the best players in the world the ones playing the best that week ought to be able to hit a solid shot to the green and hold it. Maybe not suck it back 20 feet but at least hold it.

The 17th at Bay Hill was playing a little too close to Shinnecock for my tastes....almost no way to play at the pin and hold the green. There's also no slope on the green so there's no way to play left and use the ground to move the ball to the hole. There's just no way for a great player to hit a great shot. Even Molinaris Shot landed on the front of the green and bounced all the way over the back.

In contrast, consider the right pin position on the 17th at TPC Sawgrass. A lot of balls hit at the pin will bounce into the water. Others will miss the green entirely. A smart player who hits the ball solidly and with the right spin and shape, however, can play safely left of the pin but use spin and the slope to get the ball close.

If great players can't hit great shots, what's the point?

sometimes you just want/need a brutally hard hole for the player ... you want the player to say "birdie probably ain't gonna happen, so how do i get par?" ...
    Posted:
  • ItIsJackItIsJack  82WRX Points: 14Members Posts: 82
    dukeman wrote:
    There’s a big difference between a green that repels poorly struck or offline shots (Augusta National) and one that repels all shots (US Open Shinnecock). My personal thought is that of the best players in the world the ones playing the best that week ought to be able to hit a solid shot to the green and hold it. Maybe not suck it back 20 feet but at least hold it.

The 17th at Bay Hill was playing a little too close to Shinnecock for my tastes....almost no way to play at the pin and hold the green. There’s also no slope on the green so there’s no way to play left and use the ground to move the ball to the hole. There’s just no way for a great player to hit a great shot. Even Molinaris Shot landed on the front of the green and bounced all the way over the back.

If great players can’t hit great shots, what’s the point?

This explains in perfectly. At Augusta a great shot gives you a birdie opportunity and a bad shot puts you hoping to make par/bogey. This hole is boring because a good shot ends up 45ft away and a great shot ends up 35ft.
    Posted:
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSM 1515WRX Points: 283Members Posts: 1,515
    dukeman wrote:

There's a big difference between a green that repels poorly struck or offline shots (Augusta National) and one that repels all shots (US Open Shinnecock). My personal thought is that of the best players in the world the ones playing the best that week ought to be able to hit a solid shot to the green and hold it. Maybe not suck it back 20 feet but at least hold it.

The 17th at Bay Hill was playing a little too close to Shinnecock for my tastes....almost no way to play at the pin and hold the green. There's also no slope on the green so there's no way to play left and use the ground to move the ball to the hole. There's just no way for a great player to hit a great shot. Even Molinaris Shot landed on the front of the green and bounced all the way over the back.

If great players can't hit great shots, what's the point?

Sometimes the point of a pin position is to NOT allow a player to fire right at the pin and to have to think of how to get the ball to it, either by working a ball towards it and letting a ball run out on the green or by using slopes.

Yes, the green was firm, yes, the pin position was hard to get close to, but no, it wasn't impossible to make birdie. 15, 18, 14, and 11 all averaged above par scores for the 4th round, should we change all of those, as well? Molinari made par or birdie on all those holes, Fitzpatrick did not. I would say the guy who played the back 9 better and managed his game won the event while also hitting some great shots.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

Advertisement
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt  3888WRX Points: 538Members Posts: 3,888
    I think it's the best par-3 on Tour. It actually has one of the highest putting make percentages on Tour as the green is very flat and the greens are in great shape. You just have to hit the ball reasonably close. But, it also yields a lot of bombs to be made.

It's a beautiful hole with form following function in the design and it has the uniqueness of the beach sand. To me, it doesn't get any better.

RH
    Posted:
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts  942WRX Points: 427Members Posts: 942
    Tell you what though christosterone I'm still more than happy to watch those. Thx!
    Posted:
  • the bishopthe bishop  3597WRX Points: 499Members Posts: 3,597

the bishop wrote:

What course makes the 17th hole a par 3 anyway? Oh wait....most of them. Nothing says they've got to be easy.

Just thinking back through my three main courses, all of them have a par three on 17.

Well that was pretty much my point in response to the OP. 17th hole par 3's are pretty standard around the country and no different at Bay Hill. It's just that BH is a little tougher examination than most on Tour so the holes are going to be challenging - even *gasp* the par 3's. I think it's a good hole.
    Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*
    W/S C300 Forged 4-P
    W/S PMP 50/54/58
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner  4904WRX Points: 217Members Posts: 4,904
    I don’t think it’s a bad hole, but in my opinion it should have been 190, not 220. With that pin it’ still takes a great shot and would be a tough birdie, but there’s the possibility of one.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • Janice_rossiJanice_rossi NY 98WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 98
    Boy that didn't go as planned. What's with all the Tiger woods posts? Totally irrelevant
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSM 1515WRX Points: 283Members Posts: 1,515

Boy that didn't go as planned. What's with all the Tiger woods posts? Totally irrelevant

Given you have been around here since 2014, (at least according to your join date) you should know that EVERYTHING has to do with Tiger on WRX, even when the thread has nothing to do with Tiger.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18  3245WRX Points: 214Members Posts: 3,245
    Great hole with a bad pin position. From that yardage is nearly impossible to stop it close given the firmness of the greens. It is what it is, but I would've liked to see a more left pin. My favorite long par 3s have accessible pins.
    Posted:
    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Austin 6350WRX Points: 1,001Members Posts: 6,350

What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?

Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.

Why are you focused on par? It's just a number. If you want more birdies, make the 17th a par four. Goal accomplished.
    Posted:

the bishop wrote:

My club has four courses by three big-name architects and all four have a par 3 17th hole.
    Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14805WRX Points: 730ClubWRX Posts: 14,805

the bishop wrote:

My club has four courses by three big-name architects and all four have a par 3 17th hole.

I guess I had never really paid much attention, but it does seem to be very common. Now, the three courses I play the most in our new location, only one has a par three #17.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Advertisement
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3186WRX Points: 398Members Posts: 3,186
    for the money they make...there should be more obstacles
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
    FWIW 95% of the pros were hitting a 6-iron on 17 during the weekend as the tees were moved back. A few played a 7 on Thurs-Fri.

The other 5% played 5/4 irons on the weekend. I know Kisner hit a 4 on Sunday but have no idea why.
    Posted:
  • cxxcxx  3207WRX Points: 213Members Posts: 3,207
    You got your NASCAR fans and your Formula 1 fans. NASCAR fans don't care how artificial the race is, just as long as there is a sprint to the finish line at the end. NASCAR does a good job of providing just that. F1 is racing at it's best. The officials try to stay out of the way and let the talent rise. Golf should be more F1 than NASCAR and a lot of the time it is.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Man_O_War wrote:

for the money they make...there should be more obstacles

Hmmmmm..... like a windmill?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.