Any opinions on the worm cam view of putts?

DeeBee30

I find that I really enjoy and prefer the “worm cam” view of putts from behind the player and low to the ground. When the camera is in line with the putting line, you really have a better sense of the break as opposed to the tower view where they show the player and hole, then zoom in on the ball as it nears the hole.

I understand that getting those shots means the camera man has to move around the green, but I think it makes for a great TV and would be worth the effort, at least on holes where they have a handheld camera.

Any other opinions on this, as well as the practicality of it?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of logistics, I've three ideas, from most plausible to least:

I think they could experiment with a drone cam. Land the drone off the green behind the ball in line with the cup and film away. They'll need landing gear that'll keep the drone about a foot off the ground and a special gyroscopic mount that'll level the camera, but it could work.

OR

What about a pop-up camera in the hole that films the putt as it approaches the hole? It could fit in the pin mount and be programmed to retract as the ball enters the cup zone or stay up to act like a pin, whichever the player prefers.

OR

Have the players use a special ball with a camera mounted on top of the ball with opposite polarized magnets so that the camera mount floats over the ball, like BB-8 in Star Wars. This idea needs a little more work.

give me any camera angle on the greens other than the top down tower view where the camera man zooms in on the ball as it approaches the hole. i'd prefer a stationary camera from the gallery. no zoom, just a view of the entire green, the players and caddies on the green, and the fans in the backdrop.

its one of my biggest complaints about tv coverage. in my opinion, less is more. stop zooming

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I'm thinking they should ring the greens with dozens of cameras so they can give us a Matrix-style 360 view while the putt is on the way to the hole.

I think with AI and some of the processing technologies, this may be doable without the dozens of cameras. It may not work in real time, but a slightly delayed hawkeye view should be possible. I can foresee in a few years time the ability to choose your viewing angle.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2018/02/11/larry-fitzgerald-s-long-birdie-putt-on-no--13-at-at-t-pebble-bea.html

good thing the camera zoomed or i'm not sure i'd be able to tell if the ball went in the hole ...ha

what was the caddy's reaction? larry's reaction? the fans? all eliminated when they zoom on a putt

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

http://www.pgatour.c...pebble-bea.html

good thing the camera zoomed or i'm not sure i'd be able to tell if the ball went in the hole ...ha

what was the caddy's reaction? larry Fitzgerald's reaction? the fans? all eliminated when they zoom on a putt

Added some clarification for others who were worried you subjected them to a Larry the Cable Guy putt.

Winter really needs to end.....

Winter is coming...should be here April 14th!!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

another example but the producer at least quickly cuts back to tiger's reaction...most of the the time its few seconds after the initial reaction.

but why cameramen feel the need to zoom in on putts? do viewers like this? am i wrong to want the view that doesn't eliminate player, caddy, and fans reaction?

imagine a buzzer beater in march madness and all we get is a zoomed in shot of the ball going in the hoop. no fans, no players, no sidelines...better yet, imagine if every shot that went up in basketball the cameraman tried to zoom in on the ball. i just don't get it... . and yes....hurry up spring.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

I’m in the stop zooming camp. I think it’s most distracting when you only see the face of the one being interviewed. I think most prefer to see two people in an interview. Closeups have a way of making one feel they are missing something. It’s the broadcasters saying this is the only thing worth watching.

Have the players use a special ball with a camera mounted on top of the ball with opposite polarized magnets so that the camera mount floats over the ball, like BB-8 in Star Wars. This idea needs a little more work.

Yeah, THIS is the idea that needs a little work. Pop-up holecam, no problem. I like your creativity, though.

another example but the producer at least quickly cuts back to tiger's reaction...most of the the time its few seconds after the initial reaction.

but why cameramen feel the need to zoom in on putts? do viewers like this? am i wrong to want the view that doesn't eliminate player, caddy, and fans reaction?

imagine a buzzer beater in march madness and all we get is a zoomed in shot of the ball going in the hoop. no fans, no players, no sidelines...better yet, imagine if every shot that went up in basketball the cameraman tried to zoom in on the ball. i just don't get it... . and yes....hurry up spring.

[media=]

[/media]

Totally agree with all of this, as well as the post about showing the worm-cam view from opposite the player. It's as if people who produce golf on TV don't ever WATCH golf on TV. Showing the player//caddie/fan reaction makes it feel more like you're there. They'll show it on replay sometimes where they have eleventy-seven cameras set up, including the blimp, but they really should show (1) putt inline, then (2) immediately cut to the best wide camera view of player and caddie, with the crowd in the background.

I'm in the stop zooming camp. I think it's most distracting when you only see the face of the one being interviewed. I think most prefer to see two people in an interview. Closeups have a way of making one feel they are missing something. It's the broadcasters saying this is the only thing worth watching.

As the No Laying Up guys regularly say, the producers are the "Keepers of the Take". They show you what they want to show you, what they think is interesting, and what they deem as important. There have been several events where they hardly show any shots outside of the last group, even if the winner isn't coming from that group. Until people become vocal enough and ratings take a big enough hit, nothing is going to change.

I'm in the stop zooming camp. I think it's most distracting when you only see the face of the one being interviewed. I think most prefer to see two people in an interview. Closeups have a way of making one feel they are missing something. It's the broadcasters saying this is the only thing worth watching.

As the No Laying Up guys regularly say, the producers are the "Keepers of the Take". They show you what they want to show you, what they think is interesting, and what they deem as important. There have been several events where they hardly show any shots outside of the last group, even if the winner isn't coming from that group. Until people become vocal enough and ratings take a big enough hit, nothing is going to change.

Well said.

Well said.

who's patting these producers backs and telling them great job while the rest of the golfing world is complaining about how awful golf's tv coverage is?

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

The worst part of golf:

1. Over-excited announcers .. ie Dan Hicks and Jimmy Roberts

2. Showing us leaders tap in 18" putts

SHOW US MORE SHOTS FROM MORE OF THE FIELD

This happens at Augusta every year. Somebody is out front gets near the lead and you've seen not a single shot from them all day, but lets show the leaders walking to the tee ..arggghhhh

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Well said.

who's patting these producers backs and telling them great job while the rest of the golfing world is complaining about how awful golf's tv coverage is?

Ratings don't really drop much, at least what I have seen in a quick search. Because they don't they get the feeling that what they are doing is working. Also, we at WRX, are far from the average viewer of golf tournaments. Most people watching know only the big names or guys that have some story that can be told, beyond that they are "just another golfer".

It would certainly be interesting to hear why we are shown 18" putts, limited players, etc. for most of events. Getting to see far more where the guys are hitting shots from anywhere but off the tee and on or around the greens would be wonderful. I get that, that means you have to have more cameras and more people to operate them, which costs money, but it gives a better product, IMHO.