How coming from money helps guys reach the tour..

J2putts

Poor people aren't exposed to golf. Growing up, my parents didn't play, thier freinds didn't play, my friends didn't play and we didn't live near a course. I didn't play until my mid 20's.

However, if I was exposed as a kid I could have come up with annual membership for the closest muni, rode my bike up there with friends,and played all summer, with found balls and tees.

Instead we played baseball.

Hitting balls at the range isn't cheap for kids

Say a kid wants to hit balls every day that's gotta be 300 a month, that's a lot of money for a non wealthy family

As a kid, I never went to a range. We couldn't afford it. But I collected old balls (we had what we called a shag bag) and hit them in a field or at the park over and over and over. That's how I got good enough to make the High School golf team.

It does make it easier. Maverick McNealy's parents only helped him during his first season on the Web.com Tour, then he had to pay for everything himself. Tiger didn't come from money. Who knows what would have happened in Tiger's junior days had IMG not paid Early $50k a year as an advisor - money that helped Tiger get around on the junior circuits. Tiger's lack of money did fuel his intensity. He wanted to crush Trip Kuehne in the US Amateur finals because Trip came from money and Tiger wanted to show the world that a guy from average means could compete at the highest level. So money can definitely help, but lack of money can also fuel the desire to win that might not be there for someone who has all the money in the world.

you think Tiger wanted to beat Kuehne because his family had money?? it seems you dont know tiger.He wanted to beat anyone and everyone because he wanted to be the best not just for a week or month but forever.Guy was and is driven/obsessed with success in golf. Wants all the records always has always will.

Poor people aren't exposed to golf. Growing up, my parents didn't play, thier freinds didn't play, my friends didn't play and we didn't live near a course. I didn't play until my mid 20's.

However, if I was exposed as a kid I could have come up with annual membership for the closest muni, rode my bike up there with friends,and played all summer, with found balls and tees.

Instead we played baseball.

I see this is a different aspect of the money question. No doubt this is a factor but I think the difference is if you were pro level in baseball, you really don't need money to get started. You would get drafted and start in the minor leagues and it doesn't matter at that point if the guy playing 1st base next to you has 100x more family money than you.

It's completely different in golf where you need to essentially fund yourself, at least until you can prove yourself to the point of getting some endorsement contracts.

It does make it easier. Maverick McNealy's parents only helped him during his first season on the Web.com Tour, then he had to pay for everything himself. Tiger didn't come from money. Who knows what would have happened in Tiger's junior days had IMG not paid Early $50k a year as an advisor - money that helped Tiger get around on the junior circuits. Tiger's lack of money did fuel his intensity. He wanted to crush Trip Kuehne in the US Amateur finals because Trip came from money and Tiger wanted to show the world that a guy from average means could compete at the highest level. So money can definitely help, but lack of money can also fuel the desire to win that might not be there for someone who has all the money in the world.

you think Tiger wanted to beat Kuehne because his family had money?? it seems you dont know tiger.He wanted to beat anyone and everyone because he wanted to be the best not just for a week or month but forever.Guy was and is driven/obsessed with success in golf. Wants all the records always has always will.

Yes, Tiger wanted to beat everyone. But there was extra incentive to beat Trip because Tiger and Earl felt insulted during a visit to Trip's practice facilities before the tournament. According to Benedict and Keteyian's book, Tiger thought of Trip more as an enemy than an opponent.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

look at the Korda sisters, Dad won a Grand Slam event in Tennis, I would guess by looking at their golf swings, both had excellent instruction at an early age, little brother looks like he might end up being a world class tennis player too...good gene pool helps too

No question having the financial resources to pay for early training helps, a lot. But you don't have two daughters reach the top echelon of their sport because of money access. To reach that level involves a drive and resolve to excel.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Travel hockey parents would like you to consider their investment.

Amen!!! I pretty much stopped playing because my son plays on a travel AA national team. Good year. Won his division playoffs and state playoffs. Now off to Nationals. MD to CA. But damn it's expensive. And stinky!!

For those of you just joining our program.....I can sum up.

Having money is better than not having money.

The End.

LOL i was basically coming in to post that....

Every sport it's advantageous. Hockey costs a lot, soccer costs a lot....Parents have to put up a lot of money to travel to tournaments, buy equipment etc. Some sports like soccer, equipment isn't crazy pricey, but travelling is.

The biggest difference with golf is when you are finally at lower stage pro level. Football, Basketball, Hockey, baseball....etc. Pay isn't great but at least you know what it is. Golf you can literally make nothing. Playing pro can cost you money actually.....playing minor league in something else, maybe it's 40k but you're getting paid at least

I'd bet guys on the bubble are more likely to quit golf than say, basketball.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

A child/kid//teenager who is fortunate enough to have access to world class instructors(not just your local driving range pro) and top of the line facilities throughout their childhood is certainly more likely to reach their full golf potential VS. one who does not have any of that.

Exactly . Uihlein grew up in my town . He moved to Florida with his mother to specifically focus on golf and went to some world class golf academy

IMG Baby!!! Because of him we all got these really nice Titleist Shag Bags, filled with Prov1s. I still have mine, it is epic

Acushnet Baby?

Yes and thank you to Mr. Uihlein who was the CEO. But in actuality and as has been proven, Peter is an amazing golfer. Did his family’s resources help him in realizing his immense talent, of course. But all the money in the world will not create talent. It is one of those things that you are born with.

Been thinking about this . Out of all the sports i watch , golf is the only sport to me where it is equally important to have the financial resources as it is to have the talent . Right off the bat guys like Peter Uihlein and Mav McNealy come to mind. These guys had unlimited financial resources and even more important no worries about money as they made their ways up the level of tours. YouTube is chock full of guys with serious game , but lack of resources which basically puts extreme pressure on guys like that as opposed to other kids like Uihlein , McNealy ...and now following George Gankas who teaches kids who come from serious money like Tristan Gretzky. So generally speaking , I know there are guys who didn't come from money ...but generally speaking is it more important to have the deep pockets or the deep talent ? Just seems like a player with superior talent might lose out on opportunities to that of a player with good talent , and unlimited funds.

I think if there was some sort of detailed predictor analysis or something of that sort, then I think what is, by far, the biggest predictor of high level golf success would be whether or not the person grew up around the game. I would define that as:

- Son, brother, nephew, or grandson of a teaching pro or someone professionally involved in the golf industry

That's a solid (but demanding) life, but I wouldn't say that's "coming from money". Just looking at the current tour and thinking back on the guys I played with and grew up with who made it pretty far in the game (high level D1, mini tours, Nationwide, PGA), I'd bet at least half had a family member who was professional in the industry in some way, mostly teaching/club pros.

Just take a look at the top of the OWGR right now:

- Johnson: son of a former club pro

- Rose: dad wasn't officially a professional but knew the sport well enough to coach Justin for a couple of decades (middle to working class)

- Koepka: dad worked at a course for a while (owned by Brooks' great-uncle)

- Thomas: son of a club pro

- McIlroy: working class with no professional involvement but dad was a very good player

- Molinari: parents not involved in the sport but fairly well off (dentist and architect)

- Dechambeau: fairly middle/working class but no professional golf connection

- Schauffele: fairly middle/working class, but no professional family connection to the sport

- Fowler: fairly middle/working class, but no professional family connection to the sport

Actually, another thing that stands out: a lot of these guys had parents that played sports (typically not golf) at a fairly high level themselves - high level collegiate/amateur or lower level pro.

yeah, that's a load of succotash ... money/opponent's money didn't have anything to do with tiger's intensity/desire ...

money helps. but only if you have the drive. often the richer kids lack the drive needed to go all out. they think they have it. but when things aren't going well they have a safety net of good jobs waiting for them. the kids with less will fight through it more. that goes for pretty much all careers.

There are many pieces and many ways, but money addresses a lot of issues. And by money, I mean fairly high income / infrastructure— more than what many doctors are willing or able to spend on kids. (There are other ways / resources and there’s always fate, but money cures ills but probably doesn’t raise the dead.

Yes, Tiger wanted to beat everyone. But there was extra incentive to beat Trip because Tiger and Earl felt insulted during a visit to Trip's practice facilities before the tournament. According to Benedict and Keteyian's book, Tiger thought of Trip more as an enemy than an opponent.

He did this with everyone. Hated Steve Scott equally because of his girlfriend/wife.A very self motivated individual who would say anything to himself to fire himself up. make no misatke this incarnation of tiger is different because hes not the same player and hasnt been for well over 10 years.He knows this and realizes he cant be a dick now 24/7. That attitude drove him to those heights make no mistake.Just like like Michael jordan before him he was always me against the world.Do anything and everything to win. Scott and Kuehne gave him everything he can handle in both finals FYI but Tiger outlasted them mentally

He did this with everyone. Hated Steve Scott equally because of his girlfriend/wife.A very self motivated individual who would say anything to himself to fire himself up. make no misatke this incarnation of tiger is different because hes not the same player and hasnt been for well over 10 years.He knows this and realizes he cant be a dick now 24/7. That attitude drove him to those heights make no mistake.Just like like Michael jordan before him he was always me against the world.Do anything and everything to win. Scott and Kuehne gave him everything he can handle in both finals FYI but Tiger outlasted them mentally

Low did Tiger really think of Trip as an "actual" enemy? Tiger was supposed to have been friends with the Kuehne family back then. Enough of friends that Tiger and Kelli were partners in the old JCPenney Classic when Tiger turned pro in 1996.

Obviously money helps in every sport. People are missing my point though . What other sport is like golf in the sense that the player pays for travel, pays for lodging , and stands to make no money if they dont play well . That was my point... it's a massive advantage to not have the worry about having the funds to play the next tournament....and seems like the few people here who chimed in that have actually had a go at it agree.

Travel hockey parents would like you to consider their investment.

I thought of hockey after my initial post ...

Formula 1 and other forms of motorsport make golf pale into insignificance.

The guy in charge of team Mercedes toto Wolff said you’ll probably need to invest $8m in yourself to become a formula one driver. $1m of that carting when you’re a kid/teenager then into gp2 gp3 formula 3...

You either need to be rich or have a finanobacker

Obviously money helps in every sport. People are missing my point though . What other sport is like golf in the sense that the player pays for travel, pays for lodging , and stands to make no money if they dont play well . That was my point... it's a massive advantage to not have the worry about having the funds to play the next tournament....and seems like the few people here who chimed in that have actually had a go at it agree.

Tennis is another sport, but I think I understand your point. I'm just confused about whether you have a remedy or if this is just a bit of tilting at windmills?

Tennis is another sport, but I think I understand your point. I'm just confused about whether you have a remedy or if this is just a bit of tilting at windmills?

I don't think there is ever going to be a remedy to golf being expensive. More foundations being established to expose kids with lesser means helps....Tiger's Foundation apparently does a lot of really good things.

As a practical matter I think you can point to the elimination of caddies at most clubs as having a detrimental effect on the exposure of golf to those who have less money.

How many of the greats of the past started off carrying bags at some golf club? I only know of two clubs within 100 miles of where I live that have caddies and in the past 20 years of playing courses that did have caddies.....I don't recall seeing anyone under the age of 25 carrying a bag.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade