An observation on shorts on the PGA Tour

dalehead

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never wear shorts on the course, even if it's 90 degrees and humid out. I do wear them for basketball and other activities, but never golf for some reason. Maybe it is to feel like a pro.

Oh, and I do walk and carry all the time... people have called me crazy, especially when wearing black pants too. At times I'll have to drink 6 or 7 waters and 2 or 3 Gatorades, but it's a good workout for sure.

No need for shorts anyway with today's fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn't a protected rain forest.

So planning a trip to Seapines (Harbour Town) in late June .. crazy or not?

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it's cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It's 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That's all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it's really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don't go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

I'm with you on the barefoot and flip flops. I can do without the sight of yellowed toe nails, ganglion cysts and dry heels.

And those who choose to sweat pants in public - you are telling the world, "I've given up."

Bingo. They actually have “ wear pajamas to school day. “. For middle school age kids. Wtf ? Are we just saying “ be as lazy as you can. Don’t even bother to get dressed today “.

I’m 54. We had “wear your pajamas to school” day back in the 70’s. The world didn’t come to an end and most learned to dress appropriately. (Not me though, I got married in shorts and a Hard Rock t-shirt.)

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Has there been a recent poll on this topic? Maybe there should be.

The thing I dislike the most about tour pros wearing long pants is the effect it has on the wannabes who dress like them during recreational golf at your local muni.

The women pro golfers have this one figured out - they look like athletes, 100% professional, and yet don't look like the sales team down the hall on a Friday (or if you work in tech, every day). Seriously - that's what these guys look like. It's not that hard - men can figure this one out too. They can wear shorts and still look like purely professional athletes. Let the sharp designer minds at Nike, Polo, Izod, Green, Millar at this one for the tour pros and they'll figure it out in no time.

It's America. They'll wear what they want.

I think they are. Several players are on record as preferring long pants. Justin Thomas being one.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

i attended the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational yesterday and one of the first things I saw was two players walking together down the ninth fairway, both wearing long pants of course. And it struck me that this was a statement that this round of golf was different from your typical round with your Saturday foursome. This was serious business. Me and thousands of others, almost all wearing shorts, were there to have a good time and drink a few beers. They were in the middle of a competitive round played by professionals with not only prize money at stake but in some cases career, future, and family security as well. Tour golf is different. It is a serious business conducted by professionals and they should continue to look like professionals.

I am with you. The world has become too casual, not only in our attire but our attitudes as well.

AMEN, Ferguson !

https://nypost.com/2019/03/07/there-is-no-shame-left-in-america-anymore/

I don't really care , let them wear shorts. Most athletes wear shorts....It doesn't really bother me either way. I find it's a strange thing to have a passionate opinion about. But then again i also hate suits

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Poison Ivy, insects, sunburn, modern fabrics - all reasons I choose long pants most of the time.

Tour pros, I don't care either way.

Also, as I've aged, my legs aren't all that pretty.

For a very long time I never wore shorts on the course for these reasons as well as having some of the only visible tattoos on my body on my legs. For that reason, I always wear pants when playing with customers, but don't as much now that I've become more comfortable with all the people I play with at my club. Knew what kind of stigma came with the tattoos, so placed them in spots that are easy to cover, when necessary.

Has there been a recent poll on this topic? Maybe there should be.

The thing I dislike the most about tour pros wearing long pants is the effect it has on the wannabes who dress like them during recreational golf at your local muni.

The women pro golfers have this one figured out - they look like athletes, 100% professional, and yet don't look like the sales team down the hall on a Friday (or if you work in tech, every day). Seriously - that's what these guys look like. It's not that hard - men can figure this one out too. They can wear shorts and still look like purely professional athletes. Let the sharp designer minds at Nike, Polo, Izod, Green, Millar at this one for the tour pros and they'll figure it out in no time.

Do you dislike “wannabes” wearing pants because they look better than shorts and sloppy untucked shirt?

Don’t understand the resistance to pants. It seems to offend some people when others try to look good

Why not just wear a tank top and basketball shorts if it’s all about comfort and looking like an athlete. Do you want to wear sleevelsss shirts and skirts like the women too?

i attended the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational yesterday and one of the first things I saw was two players walking together down the ninth fairway, both wearing long pants of course. And it struck me that this was a statement that this round of golf was different from your typical round with your Saturday foursome. This was serious business. Me and thousands of others, almost all wearing shorts, were there to have a good time and drink a few beers. They were in the middle of a competitive round played by professionals with not only prize money at stake but in some cases career, future, and family security as well. Tour golf is different. It is a serious business conducted by professionals and they should continue to look like professionals.

I am with you. The world has become too casual, not only in our attire but our attitudes as well.

I agree, I think certain sports maintain their dress codes to honor the game and their traditions / origins. Tech fabrics remove the comfort issue from the discussion, in fact many argue long pants offer better comfort than shorts because they prevent direct sunlight from hitting their bare skin. I think professional golf needs to decide if it wants to portray itself as a sport or maintain the tradition of being a gentleman's game.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Love that some people think that if you don't like shorts being worn then you must be old. Love the sterotypes. I'm Scottish so I must be a dour gingerhaired man who likes to drink whisky when in actual fact I am only one of those things! Haha.

I'm not so keen on shorts but that is just personal preference for me. I think trousers look smarter and living in Scotland, it never really becomes much of an issue during the year when I want to play golf.

For what it is worth as well, for those that think letting players wear shorts will attract more youngsters to the game...yeah let me know how that goes!!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

And those who choose to sweat pants in public - you are telling the world, "I've given up."

Or "I have influenza and am actively trying to contaminate everyone." Sweat pants are for Rocky montages and illnesses.

At risk of crucifixion, professional golfers are athletes but golf is not an athletic endeavor. Meaning, they certainly work out and maintain their body's as though they are athletes but the actual golf is not athletic in the strictest sense. It is more akin to darts or pool. It is a game where being physically fit helps you to be better but is not a requisite. Darts while walking in a park-like setting.

Caddies are engaged in a more athletic activity imo. (Let me go on the record yet again that I feel there should not be full-time caddies either. The pros should draw from a fish bowl the day before for their looper. Puts more onus on the player to do his own homework and make his own decisions. Should also curb the two minute conversations had before pulling a stick.)

No need for shorts anyway with today's fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn't a protected rain forest.

So planning a trip to Seapines (Harbour Town) in late June .. crazy or not?

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it's cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It's 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That's all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it's really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don't go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

I'm with you on the barefoot and flip flops. I can do without the sight of yellowed toe nails, ganglion cysts and dry heels.

091e46d627d07775dad951091a1edfad.jpg

Guessing I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks "unprofessional" to see a Tour pro practicing or competing in shorts. It looks "different" because it's new, but over time I don't think it will be as noticeable, even in competition rounds. To me, it's not the same as an attorney/financial advisor/wall street guy wearing shorts to the office. These guys are playing an outdoor sport, not sitting in a board room or office all day.

Dress well, and they notice the person.

Dress poorly and they notice the shorts and caffeinated attitude.

Bingo. I drill this into my 10 year olds head. Nobody ever missed a job offer for being over dressed. But millions for looking like bums.

Hopefully your 10 year old doesn't try to get a job in tech... I won't say I've ever not hired someone because they were in a suit, but if we say business casual and you show up in a suit, I'm not sure that your listening comprehension is all that strong.