2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Evnroll 2019

Divot_Forensicist

Finally stopped by GG today and got to the roll the black ER5 with that enormous gravity grip on it. Loved the new black look and loved the ER5 but was not a fan of that huge grip. Id buy one with the normal grip on it and will probably shift some items around to do just that. Very slick putter! But gravity grip, no thanks.

What’s the texture of the gravity grip like?

I am interested to know this, too. And when you say “huge” is there a comparable size to one of the Superstroke grip models, for example? Also, what was your sense of the tech and how it is supposed to work (even if the size was off putting to you)?

So texture wise it reminded me of a Superstroke grip. Had that same tacky sort of feel to it and that didn’t really bother me much.

If I remember correctly it was slightly tapered and I will say I did putt very well. It’s just very large like a jumbo SS grip and I’m just not use to large things in my hands? Lol I mean the putter and stroke was super smooth. If you dudes don’t mind the size you’ll probably like the grip.

I have the Gravity Grip in my hands - I find it's more comparable in texture to a Rosemark without all those nubs. It has a design on the grip that is indented, perhaps, to draw off moisture in the heat. I don't appreciate SuperStrokes because for me they tend to get slick in the heat. As to shape, think of the Gravity Grips as a smaller diameter Rosemark - skinnier but flatter on the sides. I find it comfortable in the hands. I think the flatter, slightly longer sides help the stability of your stroke.

At first putt, I wasn't sure that I liked it (the internals are that it has a small metal rod down the entire back of the grip (part of the tech)), but have stuck with it for 6 weeks. I found the design/tech helps to keep the back of my front wrist square to the line - you are more aware of the face. When I practice, I think of the back of the front wrist on my line and it stays square a bit longer. Tested it on the putting stick.

After a week or two with the GG, I switched to left hand low (where ball position is muy important) and started making everything - of course, it's a keeper. Happy I stuck with it. I am more precise with the hands now.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any experience putting a Pingman grip on an Evnroll putter? If so, what kind of adjustments did you make for swing weight? I use a 34” putter and was wondering if I wanted to install a Pingman grip (the only grip I have gamed since the 90s and so I am reluctant to change) should I get a different head weight—355 grams instead of 370 grams that comes standard with 34” putter? I am considering the 1.2, 2.2, and 5B.

Anybody have any experience putting a Pingman grip on an Evnroll putter? If so, what kind of adjustments did you make for swing weight? I use a 34” putter and was wondering if I wanted to install a Pingman grip (the only grip I have gamed since the 90s and so I am reluctant to change) should I get a different head weight—355 grams instead of 370 grams that comes standard with 34” putter? I am considering the 1.2, 2.2, and 5B.

You can probably calculate it if you know the grip weight of the Evenroll grip - at 34 inches, they typically use a 370 headweight, getting to what I believe is E1 - take a look at the website under DETAILS.

If not enough info - call Evnroll.

As you know the PingMan grip is what, about 52g? and the Evnroll 1.2 grip non-taper is 117g, the custom pistol grip is 59g - see Accessories.

If 117g is standard, you've got to make up over 50g -- I'd call Evnroll if you want to stay at 34 inches. You may need a custom headweight - maybe they have a 340 around

The fact they have a pistol grip at 59g gives one hope for a lesser swingweight - OF COURSE, there is always counterbalancing - I can see a 355g head at 34 inches with a PingMan and a counterbalance weight - you want a D7-9 swingweight for better distance control.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

The Mystery of the ER5 and its click/high pitch resolved. Asked in a related thread, wanted to post here in the general Evnroll thread.

I just picked up the phone and called Evnroll. This is the ER5 story:

In the original design, the wings were hollow, giving the high pitched sound. About two years ago, they filled in the wings with steel and the high pitch/click disappeared. Some old inventory may be out there -- I'd suggest one order from the factory or discountdansgolf (or other retailer) with a custom order, and you'll get the new one. Or tell them you want the new inventory.

That should help! Mystery solved :-)

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

The Mystery of the ER5 and its click/high pitch resolved. Asked in a related thread, wanted to post here in the general Evnroll thread.

I just picked up the phone and called Evnroll. This is the ER5 story:

In the original design, the wings were hollow, giving the high pitched sound. About two years ago, they filled in the wings with steel and the high pitch/click disappeared. Some old inventory may be out there -- I'd suggest one order from the factory or discountdansgolf (or other retailer) with a custom order, and you'll get the new one. Or tell them you want the new inventory.

That should help! Mystery solved :-)

Nice intel. Thanks!

I'm in Canada, and the service from Evnroll in Toronto was excellent...

I custom ordered the ER1.2 TourBlade (34.25" / 3.0 Loft / Standard 70 Lie / 385g Head Weight) with the 68g black pistol grip pictured below...

Didn't really like the 'hard-plastic' feel of the Evnroll pistol grip, so removed it and added my trusty Golf Pride Tour Classic, which is a bit heavier (84g) and has a much preferred 'rubber' feel that I really like. This may be close to the 'Pingman', but the Golf Pride Tour Tradition may be a bit closer - Similar to the Classic, but thinner and lighter at only 58g.

Love this putter, feels rock solid and likely one of the finest blades around.

Cheers,

- Ian

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Saw the 2019 line at the PGA Show. The ER1TS blade was well received. It just looks very weird to me. I got to see the ER1.2 for the first time. This looks really good.

On Saturday I forgot my putter at home and had to use my dad's ER1 and I putted quite well with it despite it being a bad fit.

I think EVNROLL has some good things going for it between their technology, creating some really good looking 'traditional' models and experimenting with some unique designs. The grips that they have available are excellent as well.

RH

Lots and lots of great reviews on Evnroll putters over the last 2 years....but out of curiosity, why does it seem like not many PGA and European Tour pros are using them? I'd like to think that aside from money, these pros are continually seeking out new putters that will improve their scores...

They don't like the Tour Rep??

No, that's probably not it.

Maybe it's the 2 dots on either side of the sweetspot. If you look at Guerin's earlier vids, he says something about center strikes versus strikes on either side of the sweetspot. Can't recall it. Maybe they don't want the help of the slight gear effect on off-center hits

https://evnroll.com/technology/

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Lots and lots of great reviews on Evnroll putters over the last 2 years....but out of curiosity, why does it seem like not many PGA and European Tour pros are using them? I'd like to think that aside from money, these pros are continually seeking out new putters that will improve their scores...

I think it is because on face center hits the ball comes off kind of dead. The club is designed is for players who can't consistently hit the center of the putter face. Pros can pretty much hit the ball with the center of their putter every time. Therefor not much benefit for pros and if anything it is difficult for them to get used to the dead feeling of face center strikes.

I think it is because on face center hits the ball comes off kind of dead. The club is designed is for players who can't consistently hit the center of the putter face. Pros can pretty much hit the ball with the center of their putter every time. Therefor not much benefit for pros and if anything it is difficult for them to get used to the dead feeling of face center strikes.

“Dead” is the exact opposite way I’d describe the center of the face on my ER5.

Tour usage often comes down to $$$ when push comes to shove.

"Dead" is the exact opposite way I'd describe the center of the face on my ER5.

Tour usage often comes down to $$$ when push comes to shove.

Well, It is actually designed that way. The grooves are widest apart in the center of the putter and become closer together as the grooves leave the center of the putter face, this is done with evnroll's patented face milling. With the ball having less contact with the face of the putter in the center it will travel shorter distance then if it was hit with a putter face with narrower grooves or no grooves at all. Hence, a "dead" type of feel. I used "dead" for lack of a better word. This was done so putts hit off center would travel the same distance as putts hit in the "sweet spot" center of the putter. Putts hit in the center will have energy from a stable putter and all the weight of the putter but will loose energy because of the lack of contact with the putter face itself (widest grooves). Putts hit off center will have more energy because of more contact with the putter face (narrower grooves) but will loose energy because of the twisting of the putter face and less weight behind the ball. All in all "dead" feel in the center but putts travel the same distance regardless of where you hit the ball on the putter face.

• 1 month later...

Think I saw Ryan Moore gaming the new ER1TS at Bay Hill this AM?

He has to be one of the prolific putter tinkerers on the PGA tour...

Good to see he good taste in his most recent selection.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

My local GG is stocking the cheaper "trainer" version of that super offset putter now. It's pretty weird! I kinda like it, though. If I wasn't invested in my arm lock setup I'd give it a go.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

Has anyone seen the 8.3 in the wild? Really want to try one out.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Yes, was hoping it would look better in person - but larger and not as simple as I was hoping.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Yes, was hoping it would look better in person - but larger and not as simple as I was hoping.

Was it in a store or what? Larger than say an Odyssey #9?

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

any pics of the Black ER5???

Check out Golf Galaxy if you have one near you. The one here in KC has had them since December or January I believe.

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X