Considering a Move to Florida...Where Should We Move?

bhj83

Red tide.

Just saying

What if he’s not looking at southern gulf coast?

Ticks

fleas

ants

roaches

termites

bed bugs

mice

hurricanes

sink holes

extreme heat/humidity

snow birds crowding every place

boa constrictors

gators

etc

Don’t have many snowbirds up here at all. And other than ants, and small gators, both of which are non issues, don’t have those other issues. Plenty of places in the Midwest are just as hot/humid and often more so. St Louis was a good 10* warmer and more humid than it was back home for the week of the PGA. First Coast area of Florida is west of Orlando and really doesn’t have hurricane issues.

Red tide.

Just saying

What if he's not looking at southern gulf coast?

Ticks

fleas

ants

roaches

termites

bed bugs

mice

hurricanes

sink holes

extreme heat/humidity

boa constrictors

gators

etc

Every place has stuff like this...we have many of what you listed in Kansas.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Red tide.

Just saying

What if hes not looking at southern gulf coast?

Ticks

fleas

ants

roaches

termites

bed bugs

mice

hurricanes

sink holes

extreme heat/humidity

boa constrictors

gators

etc

Dont have many snowbirds up here at all. And other than ants, and small gators, both of which are non issues, dont have those other issues. Plenty of places in the Midwest are just as hot/humid and often more so. St Louis was a good 10* warmer and more humid than it was back home for the week of the PGA. First Coast area of Florida is west of Orlando and really doesnt have hurricane issues.

Agreed. As someone who lives in Missouri and went to the PGA, I can tell you that’s normal summer heat here. It’s always incredibly humid and hot during the summer. So if someone is moving from the Midwest to Florida, they definitely know what summer humidity is all about.

Jacksonville is a completely different city from what I remembered.

I went to UF almost 20 years ago so I do remember how boonie it was during Florida/Georgia week. But it’s changed to a completely updated city the last 5 years.

For my money though if you’re only working off one income, Sarasota is most bang for the buck. You also have a top 5 beach in the country at your disposal. Add in courses with great drainage and you can play there year round including wet summers. Streamsong is an hour away. It’s a small city with plenty of things to do.

I don’t recommend buying a million dollar home. You’ll be spending all your time keeping it clean and not enough time to golf.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Sarasota is also an hour ish away from Disney. 45 minutes from Tampa. Home prices can be had for about 150-250 new build.

I just can’t recommend orlando due to the housing boom there. Not much you can buy.

Here’s a tow home behind a building I own on mills.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I've spent significant time on both coasts of FL over the years. My wife's family had a place on Captiva Island for 60 years (awesome spot!), my uncle had a place in Sarasota (love Siesta Key), grandparents lived in St. Pete, and I've got close friends in Ft. Myers and Naples.

IMO, the gulf coast of FL is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there full time. The summers are stiflingly hot. Of course FL is hot everywhere in summer, but ocean breezes provide nice relief from heat and bugs on the southeast coast due largely to the gulfstream being so close to the shoreline up to about Vero. Hell, summers in Jersey were hot and often no breeze.

Anyway, I wouldn't live anywhere South of Palm Beach Gardens on the east coast as it's super-busy and congested, but the stretch from Gardens up to Vero is ideal for weather, culture with plenty of good values and options for different budgets.

Northern FL on either coast is very nice, but they experience mainland continental US weather systems including west to east storms, southeastern US heat and humidity in summers, and cold stretches in winter. I'm done with frost delays, hand warmers, and winter clothes...lol! There's a reason so many professional athletes and other people of means choose to live in southeast FL. ?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

We have to consider the OP with one income and it's not a slight on him. The southeast part of florida is much more expensive than the southwest of florida. Value should be considered in the most respectful way.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

We have to consider the OP with one income and it's not a slight on him. The southeast part of florida is much more expensive than the southwest of florida. Value should be considered in the most respectful way.

That depends on the specific area. Naples is SW, but good luck finding a reasonable value there for housing and/or golf.

There are many excellent value areas in southeast FL, they're just not as well known. I previously mentioned the stretch from just north of Jupiter up to Vero. Places like Hobe Sound, Stuart, Palm City, St. Lucie West, Ft. Pierce, Vero, and even up to the Melbourne area...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

That depends on the specific area. Naples is SW, but good luck finding a reasonable value there for housing and/or golf.

There are many excellent value areas in southeast FL, they're just not as well known. I previously mentioned the stretch from just north of Jupiter up to Vero. Places like Hobe Sound, Stuart, Palm City, St. Lucie West, Ft. Pierce, Vero, and even up to the Melbourne area...

but the golfing in that area kind of suck outside of privates from my experience.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

but the golfing in that area kind of suck outside of privates from my experience.

IDK, PGA village in St. Lucie County is darn nice and an excellent value with 3 courses. Hammock Creek is a good semi-private in Palm City. The Florida club is a great daily-fee in Stuart, and Fairwinds is a nice municipal course up near Ft. Pierce. Those are just off the top of my head...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I will disagree with you on that but we can both agree the food in florida is bad. =)

Have you played those courses? I have and was impressed with all relative to what they are supposed to be. Summer memberships abound at many of the higher-end places as well where you essentially can be a full member from May thru October for pennies on the dollar.

Agree, food is nothing like Jersey,Philly, and NY, but it thankfully has improved quite a bit over the past 20 years. One good thing is I'm eating more fish and less pizza & pasta...lol ?!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Red tide.

Just saying

What if he’s not looking at southern gulf coast?

Ticks

fleas

ants

roaches

termites

bed bugs

mice

hurricanes

sink holes

extreme heat/humidity

boa constrictors

gators

etc

Don’t have many snowbirds up here at all. And other than ants, and small gators, both of which are non issues, don’t have those other issues. Plenty of places in the Midwest are just as hot/humid and often more so. St Louis was a good 10* warmer and more humid than it was back home for the week of the PGA. First Coast area of Florida is west of Orlando and really doesn’t have hurricane issues.

Agreed. As someone who lives in Missouri and went to the PGA, I can tell you that’s normal summer heat here. It’s always incredibly humid and hot during the summer. So if someone is moving from the Midwest to Florida, they definitely know what summer humidity is all about.

Maybe Missouri which is more south but Illinois we only run into that kinda weather in July/beginning of August. July is hottest month. Property taxes are ridiculous here, your going to pay about 6 grand a year on 200,000 place

I will disagree with you on that but we can both agree the food in florida is bad. =)

Have you played those courses? I have and was impressed with all relative to what they are supposed to be. Summer memberships abound at many of the higher-end places as well where you essentially can be a full member from May thru October for pennies on the dollar.

Agree, food is nothing like Jersey,Philly, and NY, but it thankfully has improved quite a bit over the past 20 years. One good thing is I'm eating more fish and less pizza & pasta...lol !

there isn't a course in florida I haven't played on the public end, tbh, outside of the likes of seminole, indian creek and the likes and maybe a couple higher ends one where there's an unspoken "anti" policy but we won't get into that.

I prefer the west coast of florida. And streamsong is right there.

I really think there's value in the sarasota area for the OP who has a child and is based off one income, respectfully. Near the beaches for the wife, an hour from disney, cheaper new builds, and plenty of golf courses that drains pretty well during the summer time.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

oh, and there's also more things to do;

just this past weekend we had Gaspirilla music festival in tampa, seafood festival in clearwater, grand prix in st petersburg, strawberry festival

there's NFL, MLB and NHL teams within an hour and venues are world class outside of trop. field.

downtown st pete has first friday every month; it's an hourish away from API each year and another hour from the Copperhead tournament; there's a web.com event in bradenton. Just a lot of things to do.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Great read for someone sitting in an office in Scotland looking at sunshine on the grass but snow on the hills, weather ain't that reliable over here either.

My family go to Anna Maria Island every year in October and can't get enough of it, I've never been but the pictures look pretty nice. Can't speak for the golf.

By comparison I've got a tee time on the Old Course next weekend so I'll be praying the snow isn't heavy in the next few days. But I also threw down $250 for 3 nights and 3 rounds in the Algarve (Portugal) at the end of the month to start the season hitting balls in the sunshine. I'm jealous of anyone who can just drive to better weather or all year golf.

Good luck with the house hunting, one mans trash is another mans treasure and if you're happy and healthy then cold beer and bad bad golf are still good things.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

just this past weekend we had Gaspirilla music festival in tampa, seafood festival in clearwater, grand prix in st petersburg, strawberry festival

there's NFL, MLB and NHL teams within an hour and venues are world class outside of trop. field.

downtown st pete has first friday every month; it's an hourish away from API each year and another hour from the Copperhead tournament; there's a web.com event in bradenton. Just a lot of things to do.

Hahahaaa, not so sure about that...lol! Not to get into a geographical pissing contest...lol...seriously all good natured fun discussion.

We've got the PGA Honda Classic, all of the Broadway quality arts and concerts at Kravis Center, Mets, Cardinals, and Marlins baseball, Jupiter Inlet watersports, Jonathan Dickenson Park, wildlife sanctuaries, Jensen Beach Pineapple Festival, air shows in Stuart, Food Truck Fridays in Abacoa, etc., etc., etc. There literally is something different every weekend! ?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Star Wars is coming to Disney bud. I’m going to drop the mic now.

2 hrs 10 min

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Star Wars is coming to Disney bud. I'm going to drop the mic now.

2 hrs 10 min

about a buck 20 from my house and 1.30 from bradenton; easier to get there from the west coast of florida; orlando's traffic is a nightmare.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Star Wars is coming to Disney bud. I'm going to drop the mic now.

2 hrs 10 min

about a buck 20 from my house and 1.30 from bradenton; easier to get there from the west coast of florida; orlando's traffic is a nightmare.

Agreed...I'm really not a fan and the traffic/crowds are brutal. We did Disney several times when my kids were young and I must have been to Orlando nearly dozen times for junior golf with my youngest daughter.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Hahahaaa, not so sure about that...lol! Not to get into a geographical pissing contest...lol...seriously all good natured fun discussion.

We've got the PGA Honda Classic, all of the Broadway quality arts and concerts at Kravis Center, Mets, Cardinals, and Marlins baseball, Jupiter Inlet watersports, Jonathan Dickenson Park, wildlife sanctuaries, Jensen Beach Pineapple Festival, air shows in Stuart, Food Truck Fridays in Abacoa, etc., etc., etc. There literally is something different every weekend! ?

Sitting in fort Myers reading this. considering a second home to facilitate helping out grand dad more efficiently ...

Used to live on the east coast, now I only visit the west coast. As someone that literally does none of the things listed above,maybe I can add to discussion.

There is only one part of Florida I could handle long term. .. which is the Naples/ft Myers area. And even that is a stretch to say the least.

Naples is fancy and expensive but nice. Very expensive.

Estero, Bonita springs, which are local suburbs of Naples/ft Myers, seem pretty well Kempt,and still have some homes for less then <300k. The golf,especially with the golfnow app, is solid.

Everything I don't like about it applies to Florida as a whole. the summer heat is rediculous. The food choices are fine unless you like eating healthy. Then it's super limited. The people are of a standard, boring, gentrified culture. The active things to do outdoors are limited and not very fun imo. The bugs are next level....I have lived in Jamaica, Georgia, North Carolina, and spent time in the Midwest. The bugs in Florida are by far the worst,especially since the only real escape is AC,which I'm not a fan of spending my time building to building.

I would recommend the area only because out of everywhere I spent time in fl, it is the only one I think is tolerable in terms of population density, golf pricing, and home pricing. And I found a couple hidden gem restaurants that would give me something to do when I want to get out of the house.

I'm not sure I could truly "recommend" it, but I think it's tolerable.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting away from cold weather winters and moving to Florida at some point in the future. Of course, golf is a top priority for me so I'm just trying to find that perfect mix of good schools (we have a 5 year old), reasonable housing prices, great golf courses at a reasonable price (thinking nice semi-private style courses). Coming from Kansas City, I really do love the big city, small town feel but not opposed to something different. Any suggestions?

now that u have a pretty good idea of both sides...

Just move to a suburb of Atlanta and call it a day.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting away from cold weather winters and moving to Florida at some point in the future. Of course, golf is a top priority for me so I'm just trying to find that perfect mix of good schools (we have a 5 year old), reasonable housing prices, great golf courses at a reasonable price (thinking nice semi-private style courses). Coming from Kansas City, I really do love the big city, small town feel but not opposed to something different. Any suggestions?

Yuk ?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Atlantic public courses are dumps.

Don’t know if I’m allowed to post this link. But it shows the housing market in Florida.

Good read if you’re really interested in exploring the areas we spoke of

https://www.builderonline.com/building/florida-experiencing-an-influx-of-buyers_o

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Yuk ?

Agreed. But I have the same response about Florida.

Good luck op lol.