Rory Mcilroy has become a bad pressure player (There, we've said it)

bscinstnct

There is only one person who can figure out his inability to close the deal, and it is Rory. Not a psychologist, not a caddy, not anyone else.

On some deep subconscious level, Rory is going to have to become his own best friend.

He's not there in the way that Arnold was, or Jack was, or Tiger was/is.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory has won $2.3 Million in 2019 with 5 top-10 finishes and the season isn't even halfway over...

I just do not understand the criticism.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

Rory has won $2.3 Million in 2019 with 5 top-10 finishes and the season isn't even halfway over...

started in the final group 9 times this season, zero wins. That is the criticism. I think everyone agrees he has top shelf talent. the question is, does he have top shelf motivation, or top shelf nerves?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

This is just my humble opinion on Spieth and Rory....

Spieth - he's not making those miles of putts anymore. I can remember some people on this forum pointing out that it just wasn't sustainable. Turns out it wasn't. It seemed he made more 25-40 foot putts during his run than anyone since Tiger in his prime.

Rory - It looks to be wedge proximity and putting to me. But I haven't done a statistical study.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I firmly believe that Jordan Spieth's ascent to the top of the golfing world in 2015 is as much a factor as any in Rorys relatively weak play.

Rory was tagged the new improved golfing prodigy following the Tiger era and he was going to lead this generation. But nobody saw a younger American prodigy in Jordan Spieth coming. Those majors Spieth won took something out of Rory on a mental level. I watched it happen.

I actually believe Jordan is going through something similar. In sport nothing shatters the confidence quicker than being in the presence of somebody better than you. Jordans never feared Dustin, Rory, or Koepka. But somebody's return to golf might have shaken more than the TV ratings. Just saying

Very good point.

I've had this theory. That maybe there is only so much " winning spirit " in the world. Maybe it's passed around. And maybe Jordan shared one with this returning player. Maybe both cannot use it at once ?

The Speith passing Rory seems to line up a bit better than Tiger passing Spieth. Unless the claim is simply Spieth no longer had the spotlight (although I'm not sure it was solely his even at the start of 2018).

Is it each of them has 9 figures in the bank and decided to relax a bit? Or, being labeled the next "10 major guy" is tough when the linear extrapolation breaks down? Or, despite being very very very good, each of them also happened to get a bit lucky and have results early in their careers that exceeded their normal or natural trend line? Who knows.

Spieth - he's not making those miles of putts anymore. I can remember some people on this forum pointing out that it just wasn't sustainable. Turns out it wasn't. It seemed he made more 25-40 foot putts during his run than anyone since Tiger in his prime.

Rory - It looks to be wedge proximity and putting to me. But I haven't done a statistical study.

The problem with that theory is that his driving and iron play is actually what has let him down. He played well still with a cold putter until he started hitting it all over.

Remember. The “ hot putter “ was making birdies. Why ? Because he was driving and hitting greens. Now he’s not. And that makes putter look worse than it is. Becusae niw all those putts are pressure packed par putts. If he gets his ball striking straight he will putt just fine.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The problem with that theory is that his driving and iron play is actually what has let him down. He played well still with a cold putter until he started hitting it all over.

Remember. The " hot putter " was making birdies. Why ? Because he was driving and hitting greens. Now he's not. And that makes putter look worse than it is. Becusae niw all those putts are pressure packed par putts. If he gets his ball striking straight he will putt just fine.

Hard to argue with that. Another theory is that a balky putter will carry over into ball striking because you are trying to hit it closer and taking more risk.

I've seen it both ways.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

These guys are hyper-competitive athletes who reached the pinnacle of their sport. Their competitive nature, within the ropes, does not diminish past some income threshold. Unless someone can provide data on how much Rory practiced pre-wealthy vs now, then please stop using the argument that wealth diminishes drive.

If McIlroy's goal was to make as much money as possible without ever winning another tournament then you'd have a point. He's certainly doing well at that. But your comment presupposes that money is the only thing that matters.

The reality is that McIlroy's career will be 99% defined by how many times, and which tournaments he wins, not by how many additional millions he has in his bank account.

McIlroy knows this. Everyone knows this. His inability to close out tournaments from positions of strength is fast becoming a crisis. That's the point.

The problem is that he doesn't like people being critical of him.

Not true. I'm fine if people are critical of what I write and of Rory. I'm not even a Rory fan. I just think it's funny everyone knows what the 6th best golfer in the world needs to be doing differently.

Again, this is a platform specifically designed for people to express their opinions on golf. That includes the current inability of McIlroy to close out tournaments. What is it about that you're struggling with?

Nobody knows for sure what would help McIlroy and nor has anyone claimed to, or that they are "geniuses". However it's perfectly reasonable to offer some views based on what we observe as golf fans. You seem to be suggesting opinions should be limited to only those above him in the world rankings?

These guys are hyper-competitive athletes who reached the pinnacle of their sport. Their competitive nature, within the ropes, does not diminish past some income threshold. Unless someone can provide data on how much Rory practiced pre-wealthy vs now, then please stop using the argument that wealth diminishes drive.

I agree with this. In my view this is not a drive or motivation issue. It's almost entirely mental. He cares way too much about the outcome and can't get out of his own way.

Remember the young, carefree Rory that tore up Kiawah and won the PGA by 8 shots? The Holywood kid who swaggered around the course unwaveringly confident in his own abilities? Where is that Rory now?

I wonder if sometimes being a long hitter is a curse for Rory. Especially on par 5s. 260 yards in, even with iron in hand how accurate can you be? So you miss the green (understandable) and end up in a bad spot (going to happen a lot)...is that better than laying up to a wedge distance you know you can get within 10 feet, and closer to 5 feet?

Had he hit better long irons on the front 9 yesterday, then the confidence would have carried him through the back 9 and probably a win. But for whatever reason it just wasn't there. It looked like those long irons into par 5s were just too much to handle. And the wedge game just a hair off. It's a very fine line on those greens between pitching to 3 feet vs 8, and I don't ever expect Rory to make a lot of 8 footers under pressure. He has before, but that was a long time ago.

It's fair to speculate that the all out obsession to win, the all consuming desire to prove one is the best, diminishes once a level of success is attained. And, with wealth, distractions abound.

https://www.golfdige...ane-ryan-voices

"Tell me if this sounds familiar: Heading into the final round of the Sentry Tournament of Champions on Sunday, Rory McIlroy stood in second place, just three shots off the lead. He proceeded to shoot 72, which was the worst score of any player in the top 20 (of a 33-man field). Instead of winning, he slipped down the leader board, finishing in a disappointing tie for fourth.

Blur the specifics a little, and you could be talking about any number of recent events. The one that stands out, of course, is the 2018 Masters, when he shot a painful Sunday 74 in the final group to cede the tournament to Patrick Reed. But the list goes on: the Tour Championship, in which he stumbled in Tiger Woods’ shadow, again in the final group, to post a dismal 74; the BMW PGA Championship, where he shot an unimpressive 70 in the final group to finish second despite starting the day as co-leader; the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, playing (repeat after me) in the final group, and once more blundering his way around the course to fall to sixth and hand Justin Thomas a relatively stress-free victory.

Those are the most egregious examples, but they aren’t the only ones—there are plenty of other tournaments, from the Open Championship to the Dubai Desert Classic to the Dell Technologies Championship, where a good-to-great performance would have put him near victory, and where he could only muster the pedestrian. One of his best Sundays of the year came at the BMW Championship in September … unfortunately, that was because rain canceled play for the day. When the final round resumed on Monday, he stumbled in the last group, failing to erase a slim one-shot deficit as victory eluded him again. By my count, Rory has played in seven final pairings (or threesomes) in the past year, and he hasn’t captured even one of those titles."

"Or, since we live in the age of the conspiracy theory, is he cursed by his ex-fiancée, Caroline Wozniacki, who—long considered a choker herself—won the Australian Open in January 2018 to break a career-long grand slam drought at roughly the exact moment that Rory’s really ugly stretch began?"

In August of 2017 at the Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Mcilroy fired his caddie JP Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald's replacement was Harry Diamond, Rory's best friend who had no professional caddie experience at all. Fitzgerald on the other hand, had caddied for Darren Clarke, Paul Mcginley and Ernie Els.

Since Diamond took over, Mcilroy was in the last group in these 7 tournaments:

2018 Masters

2018 WGC

2018 BMW

2018 Tour Championship

2019 Sentry Tournament of Champions

2019 WGC

2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational

and he was unable to close the deal.

I'm wondering if Mcilroy would have had a caddie with tour experience, a caddie who knew how to handle the pressure being in contention on Sunday, he might have won at least one of those six tournaments.

I'm wondering if Mcilroy is thinking about that too.

https://www.golfdige...ane-ryan-voices

"Tell me if this sounds familiar: Heading into the final round of the Sentry Tournament of Champions on Sunday, Rory McIlroy stood in second place, just three shots off the lead. He proceeded to shoot 72, which was the worst score of any player in the top 20 (of a 33-man field). Instead of winning, he slipped down the leader board, finishing in a disappointing tie for fourth.

Blur the specifics a little, and you could be talking about any number of recent events. The one that stands out, of course, is the 2018 Masters, when he shot a painful Sunday 74 in the final group to cede the tournament to Patrick Reed. But the list goes on: the Tour Championship, in which he stumbled in Tiger Woods’ shadow, again in the final group, to post a dismal 74; the BMW PGA Championship, where he shot an unimpressive 70 in the final group to finish second despite starting the day as co-leader; the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, playing (repeat after me) in the final group, and once more blundering his way around the course to fall to sixth and hand Justin Thomas a relatively stress-free victory.

Those are the most egregious examples, but they aren’t the only ones—there are plenty of other tournaments, from the Open Championship to the Dubai Desert Classic to the Dell Technologies Championship, where a good-to-great performance would have put him near victory, and where he could only muster the pedestrian. One of his best Sundays of the year came at the BMW Championship in September … unfortunately, that was because rain canceled play for the day. When the final round resumed on Monday, he stumbled in the last group, failing to erase a slim one-shot deficit as victory eluded him again. By my count, Rory has played in seven final pairings (or threesomes) in the past year, and he hasn’t captured even one of those titles."

"Or, since we live in the age of the conspiracy theory, is he cursed by his ex-fiancée, Caroline Wozniacki, who—long considered a choker herself—won the Australian Open in January 2018 to break a career-long grand slam drought at roughly the exact moment that Rory’s really ugly stretch began?"

In August of 2017 at the Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Mcilroy fired his caddie JP Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald's replacement was Harry Diamond, Rory's best friend who had no professional caddie experience at all. Fitzgerald on the other hand, had caddied for Darren Clarke, Paul Mcginley and Ernie Els.

Since Diamond took over, Mcilroy was in the last group in these 7 tournaments:

2018 Masters

2018 WGC

2018 BMW

2018 Tour Championship

2019 Sentry Tournament of Champions

2019 WGC

2019 Arnold Palmer Invitational

and he was unable to close the deal.

I'm wondering if Mcilroy would have had a caddie with tour experience, a caddie who knew how to handle the pressure being in contention on Sunday, he might have won at least one of those six tournaments.

I'm wondering if Mcilroy is thinking about that too.

It's OK to tell people how good you are, but when your're really good, they'll tell you.

My boy was getting a putting lesson from someone who has worked on tour

My boy kept lookingnwherenthe ball was going as he hit the putt. After about the 10th time of stating this the coach then puts his palm 2inches from his face. “Next time you look then slap”. He only did it one more time after that. ?

Rory needs someone like that walking round with him on certain decisions he makes. Do this and it’s a slap ?

I wonder if sometimes being a long hitter is a curse for Rory. Especially on par 5s. 260 yards in, even with iron in hand how accurate can you be? So you miss the green (understandable) and end up in a bad spot (going to happen a lot)...is that better than laying up to a wedge distance you know you can get within 10 feet, and closer to 5 feet?

Had he hit better long irons on the front 9 yesterday, then the confidence would have carried him through the back 9 and probably a win. But for whatever reason it just wasn't there. It looked like those long irons into par 5s were just too much to handle. And the wedge game just a hair off. It's a very fine line on those greens between pitching to 3 feet vs 8, and I don't ever expect Rory to make a lot of 8 footers under pressure. He has before, but that was a long time ago.

Interesting comments. There could be some truth to this.

It's fair to speculate that the all out obsession to win, the all consuming desire to prove one is the best, diminishes once a level of success is attained. And, with wealth, distractions abound.

Sure, but Rory has been in a position to win just how many tournaments over the last few years? Does the obsession diminish only after 54 holes? And I completely agree about distractions, but that's a different argument than saying an athlete is content with mediocrity.

Sure, but Rory has been in a position to win just how many tournaments over the last few years? Does the obsession diminish only after 54 holes? And I completely agree about distractions, but that's a different argument than saying an athlete is content with mediocrity.

i have zero questions regarding his desire to win. I just have questions regarding his ability to do so. I just dont understand how often he is in position to come away empty handed every time.

I get "golf is hard", I feel there has to be some kind of mental block to performing on sunday..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

When you are deep down in the s***, top players need someone just to have a quiet word at the right time whilst out on the course. I believe a top level caddie would help.

Now you could argue against this with what’s going on with spieth, but that’s the first thing I’d like to see him do.

Guarantee if he had a top level caddie it might make a couple shots difference when all around seems lost

However not being an elite player, wtf do I know

* just reread the above - guarantee = hypothetical

Again, this is a platform specifically designed for people to express their opinions on golf. That includes the current inability of McIlroy to close out tournaments. What is it about that you're struggling with?

Nobody knows for sure what would help McIlroy and nor has anyone claimed to, or that they are "geniuses". However it's perfectly reasonable to offer some views based on what we observe as golf fans. You seem to be suggesting opinions should be limited to only those above him in the world rankings?

Some people think money changes athletes, others don't. People can write whatever they want. I can do the same. You are the one that seems to be struggling with something.

Many people around here think there opinion is very very smart. Just look at all the times people need to explicitly respond to people or come out and say "I told you so" after the fact or blast someone when the post isn't right the next day/round (but is generally true). But very rarely do you see people come out of their hole when they are wrong.

Anyone can voice their opinion. My comment about 6th in the world relates to the perceived expertness discussed above (maybe you don't agree with that), and that many people could probably do things better in their own profession vs. having the answer for Rory. Rory's skill and results are much much harder to replace than most peoples' skill/results/role in any particular job. But yeah, Rory sucks at golf, and if he'd just listen to everyone here then he'd be great again.

Some people think money changes athletes, others don't. People can write whatever they want. I can do the same. You are the one that seems to be struggling with something.

Many people around here think there opinion is very very smart. Just look at all the times people need to explicitly respond to people or come out and say "I told you so" after the fact or blast someone when the post isn't right the next day/round (but is generally true). But very rarely do you see people come out of their hole when they are wrong.

Anyone can voice their opinion. My comment about 6th in the world relates to the perceived expertness discussed above (maybe you don't agree with that), and that many people could probably do things better in their own profession vs. having the answer for Rory. Rory's skill and results are much much harder to replace than most peoples' skill/results/role in any particular job. But yeah, Rory sucks at golf, and if he'd just listen to everyone here then he'd be great again.

What do YOU like to talk about on this golf board? And remember, this is the "Tour Talk" section of that golf board....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

What do YOU like to talk about on this golf board? And remember, this is the "Tour Talk" section of that golf board....

Various useless things like who I hope wins this weekend, is this tournament setup good, etc.

I just think the tone towards Rory (Spieth, etc) is quite condescending at times. They are on the verge of being called dumb, lazy, and crappy at what they do, and everyone has the fix for them. Yet, most people can't perform their job at the level these guys do.

I wonder if people here bash the co-worker they've known for 10 years when they decide to slowdown a bit. Or tell their neighbors' kids they suck when the shots don't go in.

Of course, everyone here is the greatest ever at what they do, and their opinion on unrelated subjects is always right...

Does anyone actually know if his caddy is the problem? We all think he’s just some random bud that Rory is helping out cause he hasn’t got a job or something. I’m not sure he is the cause or root of the problem. And although this place is all about opinion, I haven’t seen or read anything that indicates the caddy is a numpty or doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Also, Rory has had plenty of times through his short career where questions were asked of his finishing ability at top tournaments. That was with different caddies. Not a new phenomenon for him.

It’s in his head for sure. The fact that he’s been in the last group in those 9 stated tournaments shows the passion and want is there. Otherwise he wouldn’t be in that position. What is lacking is that unknown ‘thing’ that makes closers, closers.

Psychologists may help a little and other aspects of life have to line up to be in the right zone, but ultimately, it’s up to Rory McIlroy, no one else, to find ‘it’. Gee I hope he finds it soon.